Wood Brothers Driver

It's an incredible read.  Not having been playing golf at the time, my knowledge of Dave Wood and Wood Bros has only been picked up here in the Classic folders.

I love that Langer still has the special Masters driver that Dave Wood made for him, and the obvious appreciation he has for it.

I really like seeing the story behind Fred C. acquiring the Langer driver.  It's a lovely story on its own.  🙂

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

21 hours ago, 1t2golf said:

Don't think this has been posted yet. A good read. 

https://golf.com/gear/drivers/dave-wood-brothers-driver-langer/

GREAT READ!!! Thanks for posting.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

4 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I talked to Dave about the article yesterday and it was originally going to be called "The Last Supper" and be centered around the last driver Dave built for Bernhard Langer that he etched the Last Supper scene on.  Dave said that the writer and he collaborated and the writer was on board with this direction.  He believes the Langer back 9 theme was the editor and for dramatic purposes.  Dave said a whole lot of information was not put in the article.  I can certainly believe that as he and I have talked about a lot of his experiences.  Dave is a very interesting man and a wealth of knowledge.  I always love hearing these stories and am blessed he shares them with me during our many conversations.  I am fortunate to call Dave friend!

I am also happy to own this WB tour driver he made for Gene Sauers back in the day.

P1010233.JPG

P1010234.JPG

P1010235.JPG

Sauers Texan crown.jpg

Would Dave be willing to post some pics of the “Last Supper” driver if he has them? Just thinking about the green insert and his customer art on the top would be one of the coolest drivers ever made.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

25 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Would Dave be willing to post some pics of the “Last Supper” driver if he has them? Just thinking about the green insert and his customer art on the top would be one of the coolest drivers ever made.

I found this image on DW’s website.

image.png.eed6194a6b9d00e78b182f1e7951ccbe.png

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I used to read these threads about Wood Bros Texans with more than a little envy.  As far as I knew there was no such thing as a lefty version.  When one finally came up a few years back I emailed Dave Wood to find out if it was "real".  The limited number of Texans made (he said they are ultra rare) were handmade by Dave himself and the map of Texas on the sole plate is flipped over.  I bought the club in question and after a I'd had it a while I took it out for a hit.  I have a lot of persimmon woods and nothing comes close to the feel of that Texan.  Completely different feel and just so solid.  You understand why they are so in demand back in the day when you have hit one.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for posting the link, it's a wonderful article. I also know next to nothing about Dave Woods or Wood Bros, apart from their reputation as collector's items, so it was great to get a little of the story about how Dave Woods got into the club making and the company's story.

There is one thing in the article that doesn't ring true for me, however. It's the assertion that Dave Woods spent a year crafting  "The Last Supper" driver, sent it to Bernhard Langer, and never knew whether or not he received it until years later, when Langer mentioned it in a documentary. Didn't Langer even acknowledge receipt of the club? After years of playing Dave Woods' clubs & winning a Masters with one of his drivers, didn't he even bother to say "Thank you?"

The Writer may have been striving for effect, but that bit of the article doesn't seem credible or accurate to me, and it does Langer a disservice.

Fyi it’s Dave wood,  not Dave woods (no “s”).

I’m sure the year was not effort but finding time to work on it and getting it to Langer.    Super busy guy so Im sure back then too he was juggling many things.  Yea good point though about saying thanks. Not as easy as today like sending a email or texting though.
Dave, Fred, john k, and david bass are all part of various persimmon groups on Facebook.   Share messages fairly commonly.    Always gaining knowledge there. 

Edited by golfunderpar18
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For a better part of a decade I've been trying to convince Fred that "Christine" would love to live in my persimmon collection.  Every time Fred starts laughing hysterically.  🤣😂🤣

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

@golfunderpar18 that is an extraordinary collection!

I am 47, so (barely) old enough to have played persimmon clubs off and on very early on as I was picking up the game. Hit a Kool Kat a few times and got to hit a Texan once. Never owned either, way out of reach for a youngster. I do not remember specifics about how either one felt, but the Texan is a craftsman’s work of art. 

Sure would be cool to put one in play with a DG shaft and a leather grip, but those days are long gone for me!

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

LAB DF 2.1 putter, nickel, 38" / 67*

1 hour ago, freddiec said:

Robot Dr knows all my great clubs like this one would appreciate a great owner like him, if they ever went anywhere...   yes, its been longer than a decade Sam, lol. 

No Catchy,  S500 in that Texan. It was Dave's tour demo that he brought to Riviera.  Andy Bean also hit it and like it, but Bernhard kept it for a couple of years.  Dave also made and delivered Custom made Texans to Langer shortly after. 

Fred simply has a stellar collection.  As does a few others here and many on the FB PGS site.  Too bad I gave up FB.  

4 hours ago, mshills said:

@golfunderpar18 that is an extraordinary collection!

I am 47, so (barely) old enough to have played persimmon clubs off and on very early on as I was picking up the game. Hit a Kool Kat a few times and got to hit a Texan once. Never owned either, way out of reach for a youngster. I do not remember specifics about how either one felt, but the Texan is a craftsman’s work of art. 

Sure would be cool to put one in play with a DG shaft and a leather grip, but those days are long gone for me!

There is always time!    I’m 53 and grew up playing laminates and persimmons as a junior.   Upgraded to an m85w 2 wood.  Was young and small to get a driver airborne so the 2 wood was great.  My dad and brother had Texans.  I didn’t own my first one until 15 years ago or so and started to add to the collection over the last 3-5 years.  I take some of them (used ones - not the new old stock ones)  out on the course and play with older blade irons once in a while.  Love the feel and sound of persimmon!  I’ll typically put a texan or all American driver in play and add wood bros 3-5 wood combo or maybe just a wood bros 4 wood (my fav!)

You can find used Texans come up on eBay every few months.     Snag one!

Edited by golfunderpar18
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, golfunderpar18 said:

There is always time!

Definitely!

I'm 59 years old, and due to not having played golf until I was 35 years old, I never hit a persimmon or laminate until I bought a Louisville Smart Driver from the miscellaneous rack at 2nd Swing.  I didn't really start assembling the lumber until I traded that club, and amusingly got it back from someone else in another trade a couple years later.

My real start came from the 20+ clubs I got from homydog on GEA, who'd done something similar to Uncle Bob and his club horde.  He knew I liked Ram, and sent me several more clubs than I was expecting, the extras being various Ram woods.  

And here we are.  🙂

• Like 4

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

14 hours ago, freddiec said:

IMG_5159.jpg.6b3415299a59a2669daf337921929393.jpgStevehj,

here is a good pic of the head shape.  Also the insert is wider and more vertical inlay. The face screws are spaced wider for symmetry and the optical appearance of larger strike surface at address. 

IMG_5158.jpg

Thanks.  Beautiful head.....It looks like it has a fiber insert too.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back, Tex.  🙂

A Texan commissioned by Seve Ballesteros which he played extensively. Seve described the shape he wanted to Dave Wood - “It should have curves like the Mona Lisa.”

IMG_1408.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter