2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MacGregor

jmconnel

Our stores recently had a visit from the CEO of MacGregor and Bobby Grace. I know alot of guys don't like the equipment and last year i think they had some bad positioning as far as price points, but If you hear these guys talk about their company you would want to have all MacGregor in your bag. Barry Schneider the CEO should put on an infomercial explaining their products.

First off he starts out to explain that the golf industry is getting kinda boring and the innovation is not really there as it once was when Ely Callaway was alive. He explains why their drivers are going to be one of the best clubs for 06 because of their CUP FACE 360 design that has been a major success in the Exotics line of fairway woods. Basically no face welds at all, so the whole face is the sweet spot. And how other companies are using cheaper titanium in the faces in order to meet better price points 299 and how their beta titanium is like night and day compared to some other companies using 6-4 titanium.

I know there was a lot of confusion about their quadra action shaft about who makes it and the real benefits of it. This year fujikura is making the shafts for them and in the tour model you are getting a high end shaft that still uses the quadra action technology. that is primarily the higher price in tour model $450. I think this may be too high for them, but if the results are there people will spend it, look at the r7 tp, i think it is one of the worst drivers ever made, but a ton of people love it.

Back to their philosophy, Barry states that he wants to make the best possible products with the highest quality materials you can make. He said he doesnt care about the cost of the product, he isnt concerned with making more money, he wants to make the best products out there and be the innovation in the golf industry. Back when Ely was alive golf clubs were made to the extreme of that time period because they want the worst golfer in the world to be able to play the best they can. He says that when he met with Bobby Grace the first time and he told him that he wants Bobby to make the most expensive putters he can make and dont worry if they are pretty, he will figure that out. After talking to Bobby aboutt he putters, they really make sense, and with the release of the new mini and fat lady swings I expect to see alot of them on the course.

I could keep going on and on about the products he talked to us about, but i just wanted to talk about what i experienced the other night. These guys are really passionate about their products and the game of golf. I really think guys should give them a chance in 06, I think they have learned their lesson in the pricing game last year and this year the drivers will be in the 299 and 450 categories, and their iron model with the cup face tech is in the 599 price range so they are really hitting all the markets in 06.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see MacGregor get back into being a force in the golf market. I think the M675 V-Foil irons are one of the best looking irons out there.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

Our stores recently had a visit from the CEO of MacGregor and Bobby Grace. I know alot of guys don't like the equipment and last year i think they had some bad positioning as far as price points, but If you hear these guys talk about their company you would want to have all MacGregor in your bag. Barry Schneider the CEO should put on an infomercial explaining their products.

First off he starts out to explain that the golf industry is getting kinda boring and the innovation is not really there as it once was when Ely Callaway was alive. He explains why their drivers are going to be one of the best clubs for 06 because of their CUP FACE 360 design that has been a major success in the Exotics line of fairway woods. Basically no face welds at all, so the whole face is the sweet spot. And how other companies are using cheaper titanium in the faces in order to meet better price points 299 and how their beta titanium is like night and day compared to some other companies using 6-4 titanium.

I know there was a lot of confusion about their quadra action shaft about who makes it and the real benefits of it. This year fujikura is making the shafts for them and in the tour model you are getting a high end shaft that still uses the quadra action technology. that is primarily the higher price in tour model $450. I think this may be too high for them, but if the results are there people will spend it, look at the r7 tp, i think it is one of the worst drivers ever made, but a ton of people love it.

Back to their philosophy, Barry states that he wants to make the best possible products with the highest quality materials you can make. He said he doesnt care about the cost of the product, he isnt concerned with making more money, he wants to make the best products out there and be the innovation in the golf industry. Back when Ely was alive golf clubs were made to the extreme of that time period because they want the worst golfer in the world to be able to play the best they can. He says that when he met with Bobby Grace the first time and he told him that he wants Bobby to make the most expensive putters he can make and dont worry if they are pretty, he will figure that out. After talking to Bobby aboutt he putters, they really make sense, and with the release of the new mini and fat lady swings I expect to see alot of them on the course.

I could keep going on and on about the products he talked to us about, but i just wanted to talk about what i experienced the other night. These guys are really passionate about their products and the game of golf. I really think guys should give them a chance in 06, I think they have learned their lesson in the pricing game last year and this year the drivers will be in the 299 and 450 categories, and their iron model with the cup face tech is in the 599 price range so they are really hitting all the markets in 06.

i'd hope the guy would be able to sell you on his product... it's his frickin job; i think macgregor used to make good stuff, and they probably still do, but i won't even touch it and don't know many who will... i think their only notable tour representative is jose maria, and not many people like him... i don't think that they will be able to flourish as they did back in the day when Jack was on staff with them (i think he was???) not until they can get a good tour presense then they don't stand a chance in the crazy market that is the golf industry...

I have had several meetings with Barry including a dinner with him to which I had to "sell" him the Mac Tech. He rewarded me with a Don White custom ground wedge. He is very dynamic and committed to making Mac Gregor the very best it can be. Our company visited the plant and I was very impressed with Bobby, Dana Sheetz, Dave Wood and Don White. Barry is currently in the process of buying Callaway which could turn that whole company around.

I have had several meetings with Barry including a dinner with him to which I had to "sell" him the Mac Tech. He rewarded me with a Don White custom ground wedge. He is very dynamic and committed to making Mac Gregor the very best it can be. Our company visited the plant and I was very impressed with Bobby, Dana Sheetz, Dave Wood and Don White. Barry is currently in the process of buying Callaway which could turn that whole company around.

Barry is certainly a smooth guy who is definitely passionate about his work...but...

as far as a takeover bid - he and his partner's (Bain Capital) UNSOLICITED bid of $1.24 Billion was rejected as was the Callaway takeover offer by T.H. Lee Partners and William Foley of $1.2 Billion.

In Callaway's teleconference to discuss 3rd quarter results on September 29, Callaway CEO George Fellows outlined the company's two-year restructuring plan and denied that the company had been up for sale. He reminded the listeners that any offers were UNSOLICITED.

Not sure if Barry and Bain can get Callaway. With new cuts at Callaway refining their budget and maybe their bottom line, they believe their company is valued at close to 25% higher than what MacGregor/Bain were offering.

That being said, who knows these days what might happen - just wanted to get some facts in here before your last sentence possibly set off all sorts of needless rumours. Maybe Barry is planning a new, higher, offer and that is what he is speaking of - no guarantee it would be accepted. Far different than "in process of buying Callaway."

As for Schneider's gift, he certainly can talk like few others in the industry. I have seen him mesmerize a room of 1500 people who were magically turned into MacGregor converts by the time it was over.

I hope MacGregor gets to where they want to go. I would hate to see a name that has been so integral to the game of golf endure any more suffering.

.....not until they can get a good tour presense then they don't stand a chance in the crazy market that is the golf industry

I don't think tour presence is that big of a deal. I could ask almost all of my golfing members at my club who plays what club on tour, and almost all of them would have no idea. They might be able to tell you what commercials they saw, and maybe what club it was being advertised. But, actual tour presence is a very small factor in any of my members decision.

The average golfer out there just doesn't care about things like that. We all do, thats why we convene here on this site. But, we are a very small percentage of the golfing public. The average golfer is just looking at clubs from a different perspective. They don't care what Sergio, Tiger, or Ernie are hitting. They just know that their buddy has a sweet club, and they hit it well, and have to get one. Or, they read about some club in a magazine, and it got good reviews, and they have to get one.

Now, I'm not saying that getting a little bigger presence on tour would HURT them in any way. They could stand to get a couple more big names out there. But, I don't see that helping them that much from a general consumer standpoint. They just need to get some good products out there that people WANT to hit. In the last few years, their clubs have just been so-so. If they made something that was a "must-hit" club, that would do wonders.

Look at PING. They don't have a very prominent tour presence. I bet my members could only name a couple players. But, what they do know, is that the new G5 clubs are very good, and they should try them. And, we've sold a bunch. Same with Cobra. They have next to zero tour presence, but we sell a TON of their stuff. Tour presence is all well and good. But, if you don't make products that people want to hit, it doesn't matter.

Hilg

Outstanding thoughts!!!!

.....not until they can get a good tour presense then they don't stand a chance in the crazy market that is the golf industry

I don't think tour presence is that big of a deal. I could ask almost all of my golfing members at my club who plays what club on tour, and almost all of them would have no idea. They might be able to tell you what commercials they saw, and maybe what club it was being advertised. But, actual tour presence is a very small factor in any of my members decision.

The average golfer out there just doesn't care about things like that. We all do, thats why we convene here on this site. But, we are a very small percentage of the golfing public. The average golfer is just looking at clubs from a different perspective. They don't care what Sergio, Tiger, or Ernie are hitting. They just know that their buddy has a sweet club, and they hit it well, and have to get one. Or, they read about some club in a magazine, and it got good reviews, and they have to get one.

Now, I'm not saying that getting a little bigger presence on tour would HURT them in any way. They could stand to get a couple more big names out there. But, I don't see that helping them that much from a general consumer standpoint. They just need to get some good products out there that people WANT to hit. In the last few years, their clubs have just been so-so. If they made something that was a "must-hit" club, that would do wonders.

Look at PING. They don't have a very prominent tour presence. I bet my members could only name a couple players. But, what they do know, is that the new G5 clubs are very good, and they should try them. And, we've sold a bunch. Same with Cobra. They have next to zero tour presence, but we sell a TON of their stuff. Tour presence is all well and good. But, if you don't make products that people want to hit, it doesn't matter.

Hilg

I think the other thing to look at when comparing MacGregor to Ping and Cobra is recent (10 yrs or so) history. Regular golfers look to those brands because they reliably have good new products every few years. Whereas MacGregor really disappeared there for a while. Now, I think their stuff now is excellent, but a little funky looking sometimes. They're really going to have to hit a home run to get the people that are used to just looking at Ping, Cobra, etc to really take them seriously. They don't remember that Jack and everyone else played MacGregor and that the brand has some cache. Regular golfers recall seeing package sets of Macs at Wal Mart a few years ago. I think they can turn it around, though. LFF MacGregor

i'd hope the guy would be able to sell you on his product... it's his frickin job; i think macgregor used to make good stuff, and they probably still do, but i won't even touch it and don't know many who will... i think their only notable tour representative is jose maria, and not many people like him... i don't think that they will be able to flourish as they did back in the day when Jack was on staff with them (i think he was???) not until they can get a good tour presense then they don't stand a chance in the crazy market that is the golf industry...

Why wouldn't you touch it? The irons are top quality or are there no "poser points" in their gear? :dntknw:

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft