Calling All Broomstick Users

OspreyCI

For all the Broomstick users out there. What length is your stick. Mine is 46” and I am 5’10” and LAB says I should send it back in and have them cut it down to 44”. This suggestion is from the online fitting I sent in with my current (non fit) LAB DF 2.1. 

I am looking to get more bend in my setup and 46” is not letting me do that. I am trying to get a setup more like Adam Scott. 

What length are you guys using? 

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Their suggestions tracks almost exactly with what I've found myself. I'm 6'2" and I use a 46.5" DF, which feels about right to me. I also have an Arccos sensor on top, which adds a half inch or so - an interesting idiosyncracy with broomsticks, as my thumb goes on top. I started at 48" and found I wanted a bit more bend as well. 

As another data point - Aaron Wise is 6'1" and cut his broomstick down to 46". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little off topic to start so my apologies, but what is the lie of your broom? If you choose to have lab cut it down do you know if they will do any re-weighting/modifications?

I ask because I had a 48" 2-ball ten broom that I cut down to 45" (I'm 6'0 on the dot) and loved the shortened version. There is a mezz broom on the outlet that has had my eye but I would definitely need to cut it down.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.5°

Callaway Rogue ST LS 16.5° 

Callaway UW 21° 

Srixon ZX7 4-PW 

Callaway Jaws Raw 50° 

Callaway Jaws Raw 54°

Callaway Mack Daddy 58° 

LAB DF3

Titleist Pro V1x

10 hours ago, TonyRo said:

Their suggestions tracks almost exactly with what I've found myself. I'm 6'2" and I use a 46.5" DF, which feels about right to me. I also have an Arccos sensor on top, which adds a half inch or so - an interesting idiosyncracy with broomsticks, as my thumb goes on top. I started at 48" and found I wanted a bit more bend as well. 

As another data point - Aaron Wise is 6'1" and cut his broomstick down to 46". 

Appreciate the reply. Makes sense to me even more now that mine it is too long. 

So you put your thumb on top too? I have tried both ways. I like to wrap my thumb better.

I think I will go ahead and send it back. Sounds like you guys know what I am asking about. 

As for a Lab putter, you cannot cut it down like a normal putter without paying the $100 fee to have it rebalanced. Maybe they would make a deal if you are buying from the outlet. As they’re CS, they are awesome. 

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Mine is a Mezz Max broomstick @ 44 inches .  I'm 5'11.  I debated on 43 or 44 and decided to go 44. 

Feel pretty good to me, however I sometimes wish I would have went 43.  I've played around choking up an inch and it feels pretty good.

FYI I emailed and asked them about cutting an inch off and they said it would not affect the balance of the putter. 

• Thanks 2

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

11 hours ago, kylesilk said:

Mine is a Mezz Max broomstick @ 44 inches .  I'm 5'11.  I debated on 43 or 44 and decided to go 44. 

Feel pretty good to me, however I sometimes wish I would have went 43.  I've played around choking up an inch and it feels pretty good.

FYI I emailed and asked them about cutting an inch off and they said it would not affect the balance of the putter. 

Thanks man. Yea, you guys got me definitely thing mine is too long. Good to know only an inch off won’t affect the balance.

I emailed them and they will make my head a little heavier too when I send back to shorten and rebalance. Now I just have to find the time to get it there and not miss out on playing too much. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Mine is a 2.1 broomstick at 48" inches, I am 6'4".   I had 46" and I always felt like it would be more comfortable if it were longer so I sent it back in and had it extended to 48".  It still allows me to bend over a bit and get my eyes and shoulders where I want them.

• Thanks 1

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Good to see a crew of “Broomers” on here. Once I went to the DF 2.1 Broomstick it has DRASTICALLY lowered my scores. Crazy how good it is. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

32 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

I emailed them and they will make my head a little heavier too when I send back to shorten and rebalance. Now I just have to find the time to get it there and not miss out on playing too much.

thats a good problem to have! 

I just emailed them too about this one on the outlet, what cutting it down 5" would do and if the 76 degree lie would be better at a shorter length. The lowest lie they offer on custom brooms is 77 degrees, the 76 lie has me a little worried. We will see what they say, I might be re-joining the broomstick mafia!

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.5°

Callaway UW 21° 

Srixon ZX7 4-PW 

Callaway Jaws Raw 50° 

Callaway Jaws Raw 54°

Callaway Mack Daddy 58° 

LAB DF3

Titleist Pro V1x

47 minutes ago, 3PuttPar2 said:

thats a good problem to have! 

I just emailed them too about this one on the outlet, what cutting it down 5" would do and if the 76 degree lie would be better at a shorter length. The lowest lie they offer on custom brooms is 77 degrees, the 76 lie has me a little worried. We will see what they say, I might be re-joining the broomstick mafia!

76 lie angle does seem pretty flat for a broomstick. Hope they can work something out for you. 

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 5/11/2023 at 9:54 AM, OspreyCI said:

76 lie angle does seem pretty flat for a broomstick. Hope they can work something out for you. 

I decided 76 was too flat, thinking it would be best to just bite the bullet and order a custom one from scratch... going to take the weekend to decide 😅

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.5°

Callaway UW 21° 

Srixon ZX7 4-PW 

Callaway Jaws Raw 50° 

Callaway Jaws Raw 54°

Callaway Mack Daddy 58° 

LAB DF3

Titleist Pro V1x

im at 45" im short 5' 7

i like that i can stand pretty "tall"

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I’m 5’7 and play all my broomstick putters are 46”. Everyone has me thinking I may short one and try it at 44”

• Like 1

Ping g430 10K w/ DI-6S

TaylorMade Sim Ti 5W w/ Ventus blue 7-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

Mizuno 243  w/ Modus 120-S, 4-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

16 hours ago, golf9596 said:

I’m 5’7 and play all my broomstick putters are 46”. Everyone has me thinking I may short one and try it at 44”

Question. With those measurements, you top hand must be at the top of your chest area? You using a pendulum stroke or rocking of the shoulders? 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 5/13/2023 at 9:08 AM, OspreyCI said:

Question. With those measurements, you top hand must be at the top of your chest area? You using a pendulum stroke or rocking of the shoulders? 

I know you werent asking me lol but I am 5'7 and my top hand is the top my chest with a 45"

• Thanks 1

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

14 minutes ago, vietnameeh said:

I know you werent asking me lol but I am 5'7 and my top hand is the top my chest with a 45"

Thanks. Good to see what others are using for setups. Scott McCarron talks about the left arm being parallel to the ground. Mine at 46” and being 5’10” has my left arm parallel. Had a great practice session this morning on some very fast greens. Worked on rocking the shoulders. 

• Like 3

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I am just over 6 foot. I play a Lab Mezz Max in 46". I find it a good length for my height and posture. 

I have noticed from time to time if I get too much forward lean (actually very subtle), I start missing the sweet spot of the putter. Anyone else have this issue?

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

Can I flip the thread a little? What type of grip are you using with the lower hand? I use one just like Scott McCarron in his video. Kind of down the life line of my right hand with my index running down the shaft. Not like Langer or Si Wo Kim and nothing like Scott.

@Long Shot I am having the issue of standing up to straight and need more bend. Little short for my 46” stick. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

3 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Can I flip the thread a little? What type of grip are you using with the lower hand? I use one just like Scott McCarron in his video. Kind of down the life line of my right hand with my index running down the shaft. Not like Langer or Si Wo Kim and nothing like Scott.

@Long Shot I am having the issue of standing up to straight and need more bend. Little short for my 46” stick. 

I have used a claw (I claw with conventional length as well). I have used the hand on the underside like McCarron and really never have issues with contact but tend to push short ones with this grip). Claw (with palm facing target, like adam scott) has been the best for me.

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

33 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

I have used a claw (I claw with conventional length as well). I have used the hand on the underside like McCarron and really never have issues with contact but tend to push short ones with this grip). Claw (with palm facing target, like adam scott) has been the best for me.

The push is my issue with the grip I am using. Tried the pencil and the claw. The claw feels good, just seems like I am losing feel of the head in the stroke. Maybe I need to give it a try again. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I grip exactly like Adam Scott and love it. FWIW, I'd take the grip that was most comfortable and then confirm a few other things first - that your face is actually exactly square at address, and that your ball position is not pushed too far towards your back foot. Or stated another way, perhaps a slightly more forward ball position cures the pushes. I've had this issue a bit as well and found that usually I was just breezing through my setup without being as rigorous as I need to be. Maybe that's just me... 😆

• Thanks 2

Ive been armlock for a while now but just got hold of a 48" odyssey 2balll 10. I'm liking it, but debating adding a couple of inches to it, and making the top split grip a little larger as well.

Gonna jury rig something and give it a test.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max 9.5* Tensei AV White 65 X-Stiff

Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 15* MMT 304SS 80X +1.5", King Cobra Ti 18* 5 Wood

Irons: Wilson Staff D9 4i - 9i DG X100 2.5" Longer

Wedges: Wilson Staff D9 PW 43*, SW 53* - Macgregor LW 64* ~ All 2.5" longer

Putter: Customized Wilson Staff Infinite South Side - Belly/Armlock Hybrid shaft

Oddysey Ten Ball Broomstick

On 5/22/2023 at 11:58 PM, Langaandy said:

Ive been armlock for a while now but just got hold of a 48" odyssey 2balll 10. I'm liking it, but debating adding a couple of inches to it, and making the top split grip a little larger as well.

Gonna jury rig something and give it a test.

Good gravy man, how tall are you?

Edited by TonyRo

A bit over 6'8. its not crazy short, it just feels like it should be another top grip longer or something.

Anyway, I'll play with it a while first, see how it goes before I test out a jury rigged extension.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max 9.5* Tensei AV White 65 X-Stiff

Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 15* MMT 304SS 80X +1.5", King Cobra Ti 18* 5 Wood

Irons: Wilson Staff D9 4i - 9i DG X100 2.5" Longer

Wedges: Wilson Staff D9 PW 43*, SW 53* - Macgregor LW 64* ~ All 2.5" longer

Putter: Customized Wilson Staff Infinite South Side - Belly/Armlock Hybrid shaft

Oddysey Ten Ball Broomstick

On 5/15/2023 at 11:17 AM, OspreyCI said:

with my left elbow pointing parallel to the hole ... i hold the lower hand with a sort of pencil grip... I feel like it keeps my right shoulder "under" but really its make everything feel really square to my target line... this was the game changer for me... i feel like evrything literally starts where I am aiming

• Like 1

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

2 hours ago, vietnameeh said:

with my left elbow pointing parallel to the hole ... i hold the lower hand with a sort of pencil grip... I feel like it keeps my right shoulder "under" but really its make everything feel really square to my target line... this was the game changer for me... i feel like evrything literally starts where I am aiming

I think you hit the nail on the head. It’s getting that back shoulder “under” just like you said. That’s when it just flows and EVERYTING starts online and just go where you intend it too.

I have a perfect putt mat at home and use a ball with a thick black line on it. I want to see how pure my strike has been lately. Victor Hoveland would be proud of me right now. You see PGA TV coverage and just how perfect his ball rolls? That’s what I got going on right now. Loving it. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Are these the only manufacturers that make “current” broomstick putters? I have been looking to pull the trigger again on one but want to make sure I look at all the options out there. 
-LAB

-Seemore

-Argolf

-Odyssey   

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx  (8*) AutoFlex 505

PXG Gen 6 3 Wood (15*)

PXG Gen 6 (18*)

PXG Gen 6 4 hybrid (22*)

Cobra Aerojet OL (5-SW)
Cobra Snakebite 58*

Lajosi Custom LP808