2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Situationals: driver vs 3W off the tee

RoyalMustang

I hit my 3wd off the tee if I don't want to miss to the right. I don't tend to block it off of the tee.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

2 hours ago, jasona93 said:

Big agree here. Lou Stagner’s data/theory of just send it all the time really doesn’t account for someone - much less a mortal amateur - who simply has more confidence grabbing 3w or leaving themselves full wedges if they want. He’s talking about tenths or hundreds of strokes that add up over time based on Tour data and your or my round is a small sample size.

There’s a shot in front of you, what do you feel most confident about doing with it? Do you have time to practice 50 yard wedge shots if you hate them, or do you work for a living and have other stuff to do so you get out once a week and you really don’t feel like thinning one 40 yards over the green?

Non-concur on both points, but it's a bit of a dead horse here.  

Modern drivers are designed to be far more forgiving than their 3-wood equivalents.  They're bigger, vastly more MOI, and far more tolerant of mishits than even a modern 3-wood head. That so many aren't, for so many of you here, is likely due to: 

1) The driver shaft is too long.  45.5"+ is silly.  Try it at 44 or so, and see if your strike improves.

2) Quit trying to hit up on it.

3) Dial in some loft and spin already. 

Then see if your driving improves.  The game is easier if you're closer to the target.  You can use shorter, more lofted, more forgiving clubs, your target angle is broader.  Time of flight can be shorter.  Which leads to...

Stagner didn't just look at pros for his analysis.  His newsletter (which os a great follow, BTW) goes into stats from usually 15 handicaps and better.  And those stats say that 9 times out of 10, your expectation is better the closer to the hole you are. 

Even if it's a partial shot.  If you're not comfortable with that shot, it'd be helpful to your score to get there. Wedge matrices aren't that hard to make, even if you and the clock system don't get along.  Choke down an inch, then try an inch and a half.  Open the face a tad.  Get some distances figured out.

Or don't, it's a free country.  Sorry for the length.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bmbsawy said:

You’re only hearing half the story… obviously playing short of penalty areas make other clubs the right decision… but if players have adequate room to hit driver based on understanding their shot pattern- there is no advantage to playing a shorter club to try to be more accurate

I agree with what you said, but that is not how it frequently gets short handed, including earlier on this thread. Many commentators mess up the shorthand too. The reason I’m only “hearing” half the story is because the shorthand only tells that half. And that’s my issue. When framed that way, it is bad advice. The notion that 3 wood is more accurate is not the reason to play it on a hole, but there are plenty of reasons why it is the wiser play on many holes for many golfers. I am very comfortable with hitting driver off the tee. Yet there are a number of holes I play regularly with buddies where I score better than them on average because I don’t whip out the driver and risk the big score. Driver can get into trouble and uncomfortable shots for me on those holes that 3 wood can’t. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Non-concur on both points, but it's a bit of a dead horse here.  

Modern drivers are designed to be far more forgiving than their 3-wood equivalents.  They're bigger, vastly more MOI, and far more tolerant of mishits than even a modern 3-wood head. That so many aren't, for so many of you here, is likely due to: 

1) The driver shaft is too long.  45.5"+ is silly.  Try it at 44 or so, and see if your strike improves.

2) Quit trying to hit up on it.

3) Dial in some loft and spin already. 

Then see if your driving improves.  The game is easier if you're closer to the target.  You can use shorter, more lofted, more forgiving clubs, your target angle is broader.  Time of flight can be shorter.  Which leads to...

Stagner didn't just look at pros for his analysis.  His newsletter (which os a great follow, BTW) goes into stats from usually 15 handicaps and better.  And those stats say that 9 times out of 10, your expectation is better the closer to the hole you are. 

Even if it's a partial shot.  If you're not comfortable with that shot, it'd be helpful to your score to get there. Wedge matrices aren't that hard to make, even if you and the clock system don't get along.  Choke down an inch, then try an inch and a half.  Open the face a tad.  Get some distances figured out.

Or don't, it's a free country.  Sorry for the length.

The only part of what you said I’d disagree with is the partial shot piece. For a lot of us who don’t have oodles of time to practice, that is where we lose lots of shots due to duffing them thinning them over the green. It is a fact that I waste a lot of shots when I end up between 60-30 yards from the green. Sure, I could improve that, and should if I have time to work on it. But, since I know I suck at it now, I’m better off not hitting driver on a short par four that will leave me in that zone if I hit it well. 3 wood to 80-90 yards out is far better for me. The assumption on get as close as you can is that you are similarly or better competence in the closer zone. For many of us, we are not competent at partial shots. If you know that, it’s dumb to intentionally position yourself for a shot you suck at. One day maybe I’ll suck less at it, then getting close as possible will be the right choice. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ARSM1932 said:

Yes, several top players including Rory are no straighter with a 3 wood than driver but they should be, Rory's 3 wood is optimised for distance over accuracy and that explains why he can carry it about 300 yards but can it it off the face of the planet at times, I am not a tour player but my 3 wood and hybrid are much more accurate than my driver.

Do you have data (like arccos) to prove it or is it your subjective opinion that tells you this? 

Doesn't matter if you're a tour pro or a 20 handicap, your left to right dispersion is almost certainly very similar between driver and 3 wood. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

People say this all the time because old habits die hard. Or should I say, old wives tales die hard. We were all taught these strategies and they are deep in our bones. But you're crazy if you think you are more accurate at 80-90 yards than 30-40 yards. Honestly, there is no way. Lots of people think this, but it's probably true for <1%. 

My good shots are way closer from 40, but I duff and skull a fair amount from the 30-60 range. My partial swings are one of two glaring weak spots in my game (bunkers being the other). It’s the penalty strokes I incur from skulling them into creek or bushes that kill me from that distance. Penalties are the reason. 

Edited by ECgolf

3 minutes ago, ECgolf said:

I know it is true because I track on shotscope. My good shots are way closer from 40, but I duff and skull a fair amount from the 30-60 range. My partial swings are one of two glaring weak spots in my game (bunkers being the other). It’s the penalty strokes I incur from skulling them into creek or bushes that kill me from that distance. Penalties are the reason. 

If you are more confident with your 3W or you are simply super not comfortable with partial wedge, your strategy is absolutely fine. 

Stats are useless unless you make them actionable. If you have more time to practice, this is where stats comes in. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Medson said:

+1. 

First of all, PGA Tour is not a good proxy for majority of us to model our game after. Instead, look at LPGA or Championship Tour players. It's driver almost all the time. 

Lou indeed compares driver vs. 3W in the past. This is his talk (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-sweet-spot-golf-podcast/id1552917994?i=1000612118839). This topic is discussed between 38 and 40 minute marks. 

Thanks for this. Really good podcast discussion. Their key point is 3 wood is no more accurate than driver and harder to hit well. And, you sacrifice distance. Two takeaways for me on that. First, if what you are trying to achieve is less distance (say to avoid penalty area, or where the fairway narrows with tree trouble), then 3 wood may be a good play. Because then you are not “sacrificing” distance you are intentionally seeking less distance to keep your ball in play and have a chance at a green in reg (Lou’s first point in the podcast for amateurs off the tee was that the most important thing is to keep the ball in play with a chance to reach the green in reg if possible). Second, I realize that either I am delusional about my 3 wood or I have a much easier time with it than most. I only hit it off the tee on two holes at my home course, but also use it off the deck on par 5s, long par 4 or when I duff/sky a drive. I have no issue getting enough height on it and am generally not worried about topping it, etc. Dispersion is a challenge, but I generally feel more confident I will hit it well than either my hybrid or 5 iron (and I like my hybrid). Hearing them talk about 3 wood nightmares on the podcast made me realize that a lot of good players feel less confident with it than I do. Makes me want to pay attention to the data on my 3 wood now to figure out if I’m an outlier or an idiot. Hoping the former, because I spent a lot of money to get fit for a 3 wood that I love. 

Edited by ECgolf
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ECgolf said:

My good shots are way closer from 40, but I duff and skull a fair amount from the 30-60 range. My partial swings are one of two glaring weak spots in my game (bunkers being the other). It’s the penalty strokes I incur from skulling them into creek or bushes that kill me from that distance. Penalties are the reason. 

Fair.  Stagner did have a very small portion of the dataset do better at "full" distances than shorter.  Which is why I said 9 times out of 10 in my original post. (Though I think it was actually something like 19 times out of 20).

Avoiding a significant chance of penalty shots takes precedence over going for  more distance.

I get that practice time is limited for most, including me.  And I normally recommend working on improving ball-striking to increase GIR over "the short game is key to scoring!"  But in your specific case, the low-hanging fruit for improvement might be some concentration on learning & getting comfy with short game concepts like:  the rule of 12; Short Game Chef's improved techniques for chipping, pitching, and bunker play; and developing a wedge matrix.

I completely get the phobia of trying to kill people with a bladed wedge.  A solution is to switch to a more forgiving wedge.  Also mastering some basic techniques that'll, while not guaranteeing your next shot is in one putt range (though that's the ultimate goal) at least it'll take penalties off the menu.

• Like 1

Im in the camp of driver all the time. Lou Stanger, Decade, the metrics just prove it t be true. I've gone as far as to drop my 3 wood and instead play a Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood. Its 16 degrees, 400cc head, and basically just a three wood with three wood length and loft, but a driver head. Basically the most forgiving 3 wood off the tee possible. And I'll go to that club if driver brings in too much trouble off the tee, because its a good 15 yards shorter and with much less rollout. I'll also play it when I need to hit the ball higher, like over trees on a dogleg, or if I need to hit a draw. Driver is setup open and incredibly difficult for me to turn over, but the 2 wood can be worked. 

• Like 2

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

20 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Fair.  Stagner did have a very small portion of the dataset do better at "full" distances than shorter.  Which is why I said 9 times out of 10 in my original post. (Though I think it was actually something like 19 times out of 20).

Avoiding a significant chance of penalty shots takes precedence over going for  more distance.

I get that practice time is limited for most, including me.  And I normally recommend working on improving ball-striking to increase GIR over "the short game is key to scoring!"  But in your specific case, the low-hanging fruit for improvement might be some concentration on learning & getting comfy with short game concepts like:  the rule of 12; Short Game Chef's improved techniques for chipping, pitching, and bunker play; and developing a wedge matrix.

I completely get the phobia of trying to kill people with a bladed wedge.  A solution is to switch to a more forgiving wedge.  Also mastering some basic techniques that'll, while not guaranteeing your next shot is in one putt range (though that's the ultimate goal) at least it'll take penalties off the menu.

It is like your post is in my head! I decided to dive back into my shotscope due to this thread to see if I’m right. Compared to my rough handicap, I gain 1.32 strokes off the tee, 0.51 on approaches, about even on putting, and lose 2.45 on short game! And I know where most of these losses are. Pitches and bunkers. It is not mostly chipping. So the answers are obvious to me. I may be one of Stanger’s outliers because my short game is so comparatively bad. And, the low hanging fruit is to use my limited practice exclusively on short game for now. I was already committed to learning how to not be trash in bunkers. Am also going to commit to working on pitch shots. Should improve my scores if I can just get those somewhat better and maintain everything else. 

And you are right, when I am pitching or in a bunker I feel the fear of god in my head that I am going to skull it and kill someone. I tell people “heads up” when they are in places they think should be totally safe. On no other shot am I worried about the results like that. It is a real problem. 

Edited by ECgolf
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Medson said:

First of all, PGA Tour is not a good proxy for majority of us to model our game after. Instead, look at LPGA or Championship Tour players. It's driver almost all the time. 

LPGA players are the straightest drivers in the world. How many amateurs hit 85% of fairways?

• Like 1

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

13 hours ago, RacineBoxer said:

People say this all the time because old habits die hard. Or should I say, old wives tales die hard. We were all taught these strategies and they are deep in our bones. But you're crazy if you think you are more accurate at 80-90 yards than 30-40 yards. Honestly, there is no way. Lots of people think this, but it's probably true for <1%. 

yeah-it is all about practicing these shots. I was a member at a course that was short (6650 from the tips) which meant that I had plenty of 30-60 yard wedges when I was driving well. It wasn't a shot I normally had hit often previously, but within a few months, I had those down and was getting way more legit birdie looks (and birdies) than if I was playing a regular length course and hitting 120 in on a 430 yard par 4. They even had a practice area where you could hit 30-60 yard wedges onto a green. If you are 300+ off the tee and accurate, no way you aren't going to get way more birdie looks on a 340 yard hole than a 420 yard hole, once you get used to that easy 1/2 54 degree swing with an open face. 

Of course, the course was super narrow and tight, so I negated that at times when my game was off by opting for a more accurate club like a hybrid, but it wasn't due to wanting a full wedge swing into the green.  

13 minutes ago, ECgolf said:

...[W]hen I am pitching or in a bunker I feel the fear of god in my head that I am going to skull it and kill someone. I tell people “heads up” when they are in places they think should be totally safe. On no other shot am I worried about the results like that. It is a real problem. 

You're really good off the tee.  Whatever you're doing, keep doing it. +1.5 SG vs your handicap is awesome.

I had a 56 degree new-to-me (as most of my early golf equipment was---I was broke) Cleveland 588 BeCu that was gorgeous.  With 14° of bounce plus.  And me who had no idea what 'shaft lean' meant.  Yeah. 

I'd get pi$%ed at people walking anywhere in front of me when I had to try a delicate pitch with it, I was so afraid of hitting someone with it. Or trying to use it to dig through the cement a muni called a bunker. Lovely club otherwise---when it worked---and I know how to pitch now...but damn.

Anyway, the new techniques work.  Though I'm a big fan and consumer of Monte's other instructional content, I haven't tried the Use The Bounce series yet.  But I understand it's quite good.

Back to 3-woods:  I thought the latest hotness was that we weren't even supposed to carry one anymore, nevermind driving with it instead?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ECgolf said:

I tightened up mine by finding a big grass field that is mowed tightly and just practiced these pitch shots. I use only my 54, choke down, vary swing distance, and open up the face. It really pays off; I have a "park" that is really just an open field near my house and go there on my lunch break sometimes, just to get comfortable and relaxed with that shot. 

Before doing that, I was in the same boat: lots of stupid penalties from a skulled wedge. It's a terrible feeling! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

...Driver is setup open and incredibly difficult for me to turn over, but the 2 wood can be worked. 

I had that issue too, when I tried cranking down the loft and flattening the lie.  I'm just not used to seeing the driver's toe up so high, compared to my 3W and 5W.  It's a mental thing, plus I gather Ping woods are a bit more upright than Callaway's, apples to apples.  Yay adjustable hosels!  Boo to no longer being able to turn the driver over.  Straight with a tailing fade was as good as it got.  The back weight on the G425 Max will move ball flight, but it's a grossly overpowered adjustment.

So, I finally found the club wrench, dialed it back to 10.5 and regular lie, and things improved.  Straight-ish, higher launch (it was a bit low before) and tails a tad either left or right.  But manageable.  Gross setup changes producing hook or slice as desired.

Point is, could you alter your driver to enable you to turn it over?  Or is that not possible?

14 hours ago, ECgolf said:

There’s a good chance you’re fighting a decel on those partial chips.

Every golf shot, no matter how short, should be struck with an accelerating club head. When the club is slowing down into the ball you bring in all kinds of misses. 

Edited by me05501
  • Thanks 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Am I the only one who is just as accurate with Driver as 3W?  I feel like the driver is a more forgiving, much larger club that is easier for a mere 7 handicap like myself to hit.  If I was a scratch handicap elite ballstriker maybe that would be different.  But considering I’m a decent driver of the ball and consider that to be a strength, generally I’m not better off trying to use a fairway wood off the tee.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, manima1 said:

Am I the only one who is just as accurate with Driver as 3W?  I feel like the driver is a more forgiving, much larger club that is easier for a mere 7 handicap like myself to hit.  If I was a scratch handicap elite ballstriker maybe that would be different.  But considering I’m a decent driver of the ball and consider that to be a strength, generally I’m not better off trying to use a fairway wood off the tee.

I never look at a 3 wood as being more accurate.  I look at where I want to be and what distance left for my approach, then choose which club will get me there. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 11:33 AM, Phabs said:

Played a course this morning and hit two drivers all day.  All three woods and two irons on everything else .  Do the math from the tee based off your distances to leave you a full comfortable club in,  I played to 150 yards all day long and had full wedges into nearly every single hole. 

Pretty much did the same when I played El Prado(Chino creek) yesterday with one of my clients.  Most of the par 4's there are under 420 and there are holes where the fairway runs out and into a creek at 270-300 yards.  There's also a hole where there's a lake on the right and OB on the left.  As you get closer to the green, the landing area narrows drastically.  Driver will put me in the hazards so I went either 3 metal or 2 hybrid 80% of the round.  Pretty much only pulled out driver on par 5's.  Ended up shooting 73 because of smart course management and a hot putter. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 4

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I think it's hazards, but also layup distance. On shorter Par 4s, want to make sure you leave yourself with a full shot you're comfortable with. 

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

39 minutes ago, Seidinho said:

I think it's hazards, but also layup distance. On shorter Par 4s, want to make sure you leave yourself with a full shot you're comfortable with. 

I think you will find very few (not zero but very few) Tour pros who play that way nowadays, unless it's a highly specific need to deal with wind or false fronts on greens. 

At the less than Tour pro but still elite level I think you will also find that idea to be rare among those under 35 or 40 years old. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

I think you will find very few (not zero but very few) Tour pros who play that way nowadays, unless it's a highly specific need to deal with wind or false fronts on greens. 

At the less than Tour pro but still elite level I think you will also find that idea to be rare among those under 35 or 40 years old. 

I'm considerably older than that particular age group, so was very much around when the lay it up to a comfortable full swing distance mantra was the norm. It never made sense to me then (though I tried it for a while in my early golf years) and with the data that is now available, it make even less sense now.

Every one of us hits partial shots as a normal part of our game - most typically those shots that land off the green (because even the best of us miss the green a fairly high percentage of the time). Regular chipping and pitching is all about hitting partial shots. Longer 1/2 or 3/4 wedges are really just an extension of that sort of shot.

OK, so let's say that a given player is, in fact, one of those outliers (and they are outliers) who actually loses more strokes when faced with a partial wedge as compared to a full swing. I will posit this has got to be one of the lowest hanging pieces of fruit to pick one could possibly have in their game. It's simply not that hard to practice a little bit on these shot and likely pick up significant confidence in such shots. It's just an extension of regular chipping/pitching - something we already do. Easier than picking up 25 yards in driving distance, and easier than learning how to consistently hit a 3 wood. I'm fairly certain those who think otherwise mostly do so because of the standard thinking that has passed down through the decades (and possibly centuries) of golf history.

This may well be a mental/confidence thing, but it's really not hard to change. Go play this little game the next time you're out on the range: spend at least half a bucket of balls hitting to randomly picked balls lying short distances away from you at the range. This can even be a contest you play with your buds if you happen to be practicing together. It's actually pretty fun...

Edited by dubbelbogey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dubbelbogey said:

I'm considerably older than that particular age group, so was very much around when the lay it up to a comfortable full swing distance mantra was the norm. It never made sense to me then (though I tried it for a while in my early golf years) and with the data that is now available, it make even less sense now.

Every one of us hits partial shots as a normal part of our game - most typically those shots that land off the green (because even the best of us miss the green a fairly high percentage of the time). Regular chipping and pitching is all about hitting partial shots. Longer 1/2 or 3/4 wedges are really just an extension of that sort of shot.

OK, so let's say that a given player is, in fact, one of those outliers (and they are outliers) who actually loses more strokes when faced with a partial wedge as compared to a full swing. I will posit this has got to be one of the lowest hanging pieces of fruit to pick one could possibly have in their game. It's simply not that hard to practice a little bit on these shot and likely pick up significant confidence in such shots. It's just an extension of regular chipping/pitching - something we already do. Easier than picking up 25 yards in driving distance, and easier than learning how to consistently hit a 3 wood. I'm fairly certain those who think otherwise mostly do so because of the standard thinking that has passed down through the decades (and possibly centuries) of golf history.

This may well be a mental/confidence thing, but it's really not hard to change. Go play this little game the next time you're out on the range: spend at least half a bucket of balls hitting to randomly picked balls lying short distances away from you at the range. This can even be a contest you play with your buds if you happen to be practicing together. It's actually pretty fun...

This is a great post for me. What this thread has taught me is I am an outlier in a way I didn’t appreciate before. And, you are so right, it is such low hanging fruit for me to sort out how to pitch the ball better than a beginner. I think I’ve been focused on how hard it feels to me, in part because I am so comfortable over full swings. But, am recognizing that a lot of that is mental due to memories of horrific/embarrassingly bad shot and part is due to lack of practice. But, though it seems obvious, just a little practice on a regular ish basis may also solve the mental part and improve my scores. I’m actually excited about taking on the challenge now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I learned to play on an Executive course with narrow fairways using a 22* iron off the tee.

If I'm not hitting driver I'm using an iron on the tee.  

The 3HL is strictly for distance off the deck.

I do a lot of course management and have learned that shot shaping helps compensate for my lack of distance.

Edited by ShortGolfer