New Female Player Club Reccomendations?

DTrain63

Hey all,

My daughter is graduating in December - 3.9 in a great business school - and this weekend, we took her to our club to play and she absolutely loved it. I struggle with gifts for her but thought a set of clubs would be great as she enters the business world.

She's 5'9" and a former HS conference MVP in volleyball - very athletic, lifts weights.

What would you suggest for a nice set for her graduation gift?

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

I know you are going to laugh at my suggestion but i would go to Dicks and buy the box set of clubs for her if she is super new and upgrade as she gets better. If not look at like the Kalea from Taylormade but it will be alot more money. 

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

5 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

Fitting is by far the best, especially with her height and athleticism.  Cobra, Ping and TaylorMade make solid ladies sets.  She would need something over standard.  They might recommend men's irons heads with lighter shaft as well.

At 5'9 and a very good volley ball player, the last thing that I would advise would be ladies clubs.

I would start her off with a men's regular shafted 7-iron, 9-iron, PW, SW, a hybrid, 5-wood and driver.  Ping would be a good place to start; G425 or G430.

• Like 2
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

This is a world I've dealt with, albeit for wife instead of daughter.  My wife is 5-9, standard women's clubs don't fit her.  I wound up building a set with longer lengths.

The wild card is that your daughter is almost certainly stronger than my wife is, or even was 20 years ago when I built her first set.  In shaft flex terms, she may need anything from ladies flex (which I doubt) to regular, or even stiff.

My first thought was a black dot "men's" Ping set (cough cough), once flex is figured out, but Tour Edge is great for something like your situation. 

The trick will be determining her appropriate flex.

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

50 minutes ago, DTrain63 said:

Hey all,

My daughter is graduating in December - 3.9 in a great business school - and this weekend, we took her to our club to play and she absolutely loved it. I struggle with gifts for her but thought a set of clubs would be great as she enters the business world.

She's 5'9" and a former HS conference MVP in volleyball - very athletic, lifts weights.

Thanks!

At 5’9” she would fit into men’s clubs. As far as. Flex either men’s senior or regular. I normally steer new golfers a from box sets and into used sets. But in this case, since it’s a gradation gift new clubs are needed. Depending on your budget I would take her to a store or pro shop and let her have the choice of what she prefers.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

If she went out once and liked it, just get her a used set. I know its a graduation gift, but the best thing you can do is invest in a good used set for her. You don't need to get a club fitting straight away. That's overkill.

I would recommend using the Ping fitting system. Measure her wrist to floor and height. She will probably fit into a black dot, which is standard men's size. Then go to a simulator and just look at 7 iron swing speed. If she is in the high 70s, low 80s in clubhead speed, definitely get her a stiff shaft. If she is low 70s, go for regular shafts.

https://webfit.ping.com/

https://ca.ping.com/en-ca/fitting/fitting-tools/iron-color-code-chart

99% of golfers will recommend Ping as a first set: reliable, last forever, good used prices. You could go for a set of G5s, or something else a few years old. I quickly found these on ebay. I would get her a few irons, a putter, a hybrid, 5 wood, and driver. If you just want to get her something new, go with the G425s in her Ping spec.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195747491451?hash=item2d9375ae7b:g:PGsAAOSwZMNkVV6g&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABAJTFbBjC4vndctSgTHTsSzLSxmwWq1CpqrNGMDHLlS7fv8K%2FE7UtEz8zBLYunBjEdOXbHPnHchHKfcZuD6FdU1HsXz8cqPze6BPvs5az9ozxAUuz%2FmO6CjnxHP9hmnJCDaWb2FSud3S4gtt5WnmbBojW8xZhJlys4nW8eLTdx7%2BDdtwDpMKmpcpdYnYKX9nzn0VM21uMyxrEIwl4pVvp0vpPX1bNsAb2YtNOlflCQCjOwxciBWzg4KKy%2BDdtc%2Bto0NeuBHdC7RIkApwZc0ZzB5QdKuGLLxQ4K0fGOeFM8bBskRQSdJ0gnUv%2B%2FItgNkGiXG3zJeJ1C1b2%2FdGjVkttOfY%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8St5f6DYg

https://www.2ndswing.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/ping-g30-iron-set/right-handed-regular-graphite-38dot5in-d-t2226580313

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

Standard length golf clubs with regular flex shafts from Callaway Golf Preowned. I would wait for a sale and build a set with whatever your budget allows. It does look like their inventory is pretty sparse at the moment.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Recommend building a half set of Maltby irons (STi, TS-2, TS-3) with mens standard length recoil shafts. F3 or F4 flex would probably both work and you can build a SW, PW, 8i, 7i for less than $300.

She will also need a 5 or 6 hybrid and a driver. Recommend used Ping G410 or G425 with 10.5 degrees of loft and a 60g regular flex shaft. 

All in with the putter would be $700-800 and it would be a damn good set.

• Like 1

Chances are, she isn't going to outgrow her clubs very quickly.  She is going to spend her time on her career trying to move up quickly.

I think a fitting for a good set of clubs makes sense if you can afford it.  Something that she won't be embarrassed to use in front of a big boss or client.

A fitter can watch her swing and make an educated guess about what will work for her given her athletic background.

If you want to save some money, consider buying a custom half set.  Most find they don't play much worse with a half set compared to a full set of clubs.

Less decision making and more time for socializing on the golf course. Another idea may be to focus first on the big dog or driver and get her fitted for that.

Six months is plenty of time for an athlete to find her golf swing.  

After a short New England golf season I had a decent swing with my irons.  But I really struggled with driver.  Getting fitted for a driver made it much easier for me to hit my driver.

My irons were also much better as the clubs fit me and I didn't have to compensate for clubs that were an inch too long.

Edited by ShortGolfer

I think something like the pxg 0211 would be a good place to start.  I would go with mens regular or senior flex in a lighter weight.  MMT’s come stock with PXG and would probably be a good place to start.  You saw how fast she swings so you will be best to judge which flex to go with.  Personally I would get her 6-G in irons.  Get her a driver, a 5 or 7 wood, a 23ish degree hybrid, a 54 degree wedge and putter.  You can probably give her one of your old putters and wedges and the gift will still look new.  For driver you can find new epic speeds for very cheap.  I also found some very good deals on womens stealth fairway woods for my wife.  Same as mens except for the paint job.  Good luck and it sounds like a great gift

20 hours ago, golfinbrad said:

Fitting is by far the best, especially with her height and athleticism.  Cobra, Ping and TaylorMade make solid ladies sets.  She would need something over standard.  They might recommend men's irons heads with lighter shaft as well.

A Ping static fitting is as far as I'd recommend.  5'9" is pretty much mens standard in length and lie.  Put in regular shafts and good to go.  A $100+ fitting would be a big waste of money when someone has only played 1x.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

30 minutes ago, dekez said:

A Ping static fitting is as far as I'd recommend.  5'9" is pretty much mens standard in length and lie.  Put in regular shafts and good to go.  A $100+ fitting would be a big waste of money when someone has only played 1x.

You say that, but you are not taking into account weight or which shaft.  We are talking about an athletic lady, so weight is important.  He doesn't have to pay $100+ for some knowledgeable advice.  It's a college graduation gift to his daughter, so do it right.

If price isn’t a major decider , and you think she’ll play for long term , a full ping fitting would be my recommendation.  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Just went through this for my wife. She's a 5' 11" former athlete and wound up fitting into men's KBS Tour Lite regular shafts. Good luck!

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

#1 Congrats Dad!
#2 Congrats Dad daughter and family y'all are doing great great she's on an incredible path well done enjoy!
#3 Long story short when it comes to clubs as gifts... you've got to make sure you confer status as well as good clubs.

Sure maybe some Miura CB's would feel and perform the best but for new golfers that's not often the best fit.

#4 With that said my first choice is Ping, world class products that work generation after generation, their custom fitting can be replicated on future club purchases allowing for your daughter to get the benefits w/o the huge outlay of time involved in some other processes for fitting. Other people in the business world will recognize Ping. It's an American company that stands behind their product.

#5 Second choice would be Callaway for all of the same reasons to a lesser degree.

For what it's worth TIME is the scarce commodity you might as well plan the "Ping fitting" and dad daughter lessons now.

Sure it'll be expensive in terms of both time and money but really what could be better?

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Is your head swimming yet?  You'll probably get as many suggestions as there are golfers on this forum.

I'll go a different route.

I didn't start playing golf till I was 67 - I'm 75 now.  I purchased a box set of Wilson golf clubs but quickly found them inappropriate for me.

I went to Golf Galaxy and had a very informative and quick fitting and they fitted me for some clubs that I could still be playing today, but I passed them on to a good friend of mine.

When it comes to a new golfer, I'd really recommend a fitter to find something that not only works now, but that she can grow into as her skill improves.  If she's athletic, it shouldn't take her long before she can take full advantage of good set of clubs.

• Like 1

Go get her a voucher for a full Ping fitting and set of clubs.  Seems most of the best women's players play Ping (and not the "lady's" sets).

• Thanks 1

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

On 5/15/2023 at 9:55 AM, DTrain63 said:

Hey all,

Thanks!

Congrats to your daughter!

Assuming you think she might play somewhat regularly, I'm adding my vote to the people that say a basic fitting is in order.  You don't need to go crazy with a full bag fitting, but getting and idea of the right length and shaft weight is going to give her the best chance to make a good swing with whatever clubs she gets.  You might also be able to explore set makeup to see what combo of woods, hybrids, and irons would work for her.

Depending on where you are in Michigan, you could see if Carl's Golfland would be able to do something like this for you.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

Look through the in the bag place and see what the folks on the lpga play.  Look for a player with a similar body to hers and go for it.  

or put another way get her something to grow into not out of. 

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

My advice. Don't pre-purchase clubs for her. Make a voucher, or something that says she gets to pick what she wants within whatever range you were thinking of. While a gift like this is great and I'm sure she will enjoy it - so many poor decisions are made trying to work out what would work for a female player without just asking them to be involved in that process - when if it was us we'd spend an infinite amount of time trying to ensure it was the right fit. I've seen buying decisions be dictated by appearance alone (no matter how well the club fits), so getting what she wants/feels comfortable with is the really important step here if she is going to end up with a set she will enjoy using.

• Like 2

Get her sized right, not necesssrily "fit".  If she's in the right length and lie angle, that is a great start.  For someone who has played once, there is no reason to get her fit.  So much will change as she learns to swing the club better.  I like what is mentioned above.  Maybe a gift card or take her with you for some quality time and tell her to pick out what she wants on you.  When she gets to a point where shes repeating a solid swing, then I'd say get her fit for the bag.

Edited by Nixhex524
spelling
  • Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Some fitters are also credentialed instructors, and what they can usually do is get a new player swinging well enough to hone in on the super important fundamental of shaft length and start to get into weight and flex. The athleticism in this case is a big help for that. 

Other fitters are simply salespeople who reference charts to tell them how to interpret what’s happening without any deep knowledge of the swing or the player’s abilities or the likely future of the progression. Or even what the raw data actually means without their corporate guidance sheets! That would be a waste of time and money. 

Don’t be afraid to ask those questions of a potential fitter. 

Lastly, if you’re in the Charleston, SC area pm me for recommendations.

This whole men's/ladies stuff is crap.

A golf ball or club doesn't know or care about gender.

The only consideration is how much you are willing to spend assuming you believe she will play. There is nothing you can do to make sure she quits faster than getting her a cheap set that doesn't fit her.

So.... get her fit properly to find the right flex, length, lie, swing weight etc.....

Then build a bag that suits her, the fitting and maybe a brand new driver can be the main part of the gift. If she is business minded I'm sure she wouldn't mind building the rest out used or older models.... as long as they fit her specs and will help her enjoy the game.

915 D3 8.5
915F 15
915HD 17.5
J15CB 4-PW
X forged 49, 54, 59
California Del Mar