Wilson blades

42 minutes ago, Garydean said:

Looking to get a set of blades to mess around with are they all pretty much similar from the 60s to the 90s? 

the quick answer...."Of course not!" 😂 What you're going to get w/that open-ended question, is an opinion based on that individuals experiences & likes - some prefer Ram, others TopFlite, others Hogan, others etc. etc, etc.

Even within a brand like Hogan, I doubt a '62PowerThrust would feel the same as a '72Apex or an '82Personal or a '92Apex Ft Worth. Or even that anyone of those would feel the same as a Wilson Pro Staff Tour FG17 or a H&B PowerBilt ScotchBlade Citation....

I think more to better understand - what do you play now...what woods, irons, even putter? 
You pose an interesting question. I'm guessing that answers will also be interesting....Good luck

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bcstones said:

the quick answer...."Of course not!" 😂 What you're going to get w/that open-ended question, is an opinion based on that individuals experiences & likes - some prefer Ram, others TopFlite, others Hogan, others etc. etc, etc.

Even within a brand like Hogan, I doubt a '62PowerThrust would feel the same as a '72Apex or an '82Personal or a '92Apex Ft Worth. Or even that anyone of those would feel the same as a Wilson Pro Staff Tour FG17 or a H&B PowerBilt ScotchBlade Citation....

I think more to better understand - what do you play now...what woods, irons, even putter? 
You pose an interesting question. I'm guessing that answers will also be interesting....Good luck

Yea I'm a wilson fan I have an old dynapower 2 iron but looking more of a set to help with iron striking just messing around on the simulator.  I know the newer blades are bigger just wondering if older ones were pretty much the same just shaped a little different 

2 hours ago, Garydean said:

Yea I'm a wilson fan I have an old dynapower 2 iron but looking more of a set to help with iron striking just messing around on the simulator.  I know the newer blades are bigger just wondering if older ones were pretty much the same just shaped a little different 

Why not make up a mixed set of clubs from that era you mentioned....hit the thrift stores. that way you could get a variety of vintage that don't cost much. Sounds like you're just gonna hit the simulator or range & not a course, so why spend alot? You can keep the ones you like, the ones you don't like - turn back to the thrift store.
As far as I can figure, the center of mass in the iron is the center of mass - no matter what the size of the iron....the sweet spot is what probably changes. Tho, since I'm really just a duffer who doesn't even keep score, I imagine a number of the actual experts might disagree...& would probably have more poignant advice/opinion....

Whatever you do....have fun. Golf is supposed to be enjoyable....(to check the wind, forget the grass....blow bubbles)

• Like 1

I have a set of Staffs from every year from 1956 to 1991. I think of the 50s Staffs as an old design that are a lot different than modern clubs. From '60 to '66, I feel the design is transitioning from the old style to a modern club and is a bit of both, and starting in 1967, I feel that Staffs have a modern design. Maybe '66, but definitely '67.

Each set from '67 to the '90s will be different, but I would feel comfortable playing any of them and play modern golf. I think everyone has a preference, which is part aesthetics and part design, but you can hit anything after '67 and feel pretty good. (I know some people push that date earlier, like to '63, but '67 is the set that seems just right to me).

I play my '67s and '69 Bullet Backs on a regular basis and consider the Bullet Backs my favorites. (Both started with aluminum shafts and I reshafted with S300s). I have some '73 Weight Disk Staffs in the bag now for my next round, which I just re-shafted with 6.0s, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform. So pick the one that looks good to you and I'm sure you will be fine.

Based on your stated need, you should stay away from the Goosenecks and FG-53s. I have both, and consider the FG-53s the easiest clubs to hit I've ever played, including my AP 2s, but they are too easy to hit well if you are trying to work on ball striking. I think they are the best clubs to play when you want to play well, both for performance and how the feel, but they don't seem to be what you are looking for.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

As been stated by others, clubs will vary in their playability, especially in regard to their turf interaction. You have stated you want to use them in a simulator, so most Dynapowers or Staff models would be fine although the best way to learn how to use the clubs would be on grass, not on mats.

Right now my sim is outdoor hitting off grass but I know what your saying makes sense 

• Like 1

At my skill level there wasn't much scoring difference when I was playing through all the Wilson Staff sets.  The earliest I had was '58 and most recent was '88.  I think the 1960-61 models play the best. Followed by the models 1962-63.  The 1958-59 are pretty nice too.  By  1967 they get small and square looking to my eye at address and the top lines were thinner which led to a too light of a club without led tape.  I dabbled with the '84 and '88 models but I didn't see anything in the 20 year development that made them any better.  If anything the chrome plating was thinner and they felt cheaper the more modern they'd get.  

Haig Ultra is the secret sauce when it comes to Wilson blades.

• Like 2

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

5 hours ago, Garydean said:

Right now my sim is outdoor hitting off grass but I know what your saying makes sense 

Garydean.

My two cents.

Search for mid 1980's forged blades. They typically have near modern tech shafts and heads that were forged from Hoffman (Wilson- Hagen's) or Fort Worth (Hogans). 

I have 1987/88 Wilson Staff Tour Blades Fluid Feels with T.T. Dynamic shafts. Actually I have two sets. One I pull out once and a while I play with and one set I got from Mandrallla's Esatae Sale that are basically new for my displayed clubs. 

Another set I have are 1984/87 Hogan Apex PC's with ANMF Apex shafts. Simply awesome, but a tad harder to hit.

The Mid-1980's are a combo of forged heads that are comparable with todays best $1,200.00 heads with shafts that are closer to todays shaft technology tan the '60's & 70's.

My 2 Cents.

I have 1982 Hogan Apex Medallians, PC's, and 1982 Decades, Wilson Staffs Tour Blade FG-17's and the Tour Blade Fluid Feels. All nice irons, but the later (may be the most current) Tour Blades with a JP Grind PW are in my opinion the best.

My collection is always changes, but if I can help, let me know. I do not acquire ant sets or putters unless they are in mint(ish) condition.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Andy D said:

I’m playing with a set of Wilson Staff FG49 irons. They were designed by Nick Faldo with Wilson circa 88 - 91, and were only released in England for GB and European release….the 49 stands for all the major victory’s with Wilson irons…..The iron are terrific, Faldos idea was to have a pure blade with no frills….as you can see with the photo of my 7 iron, there’s not much room for error. Beautiful to play with, lovely feel….sting your hands if you miss hit..magic.

R500 Dynamic gold shafts were standard, as the heads are light, so needed some weight with the heavier 500 shaft and Regular to get some flex which feels like in between Stiff and regular. I had my my first set 1990 and have a second set which I picked up 2 years ago off eBay for £150….they’re not easy to find especially in nice condition…the sand irons as per being chrome tend to be in crap condition.

IMG_0376.jpeg

I didn't appreciate the significance of the "49". Did that carry through and form the basis of the Fg51, Fg55 etc?

I have a full set (1-Sw) of the Fg49's that I played for a couple of seasons and really liked. Possibly the narrowest blade I have encountered? 

I recently picked up a set of Fg55's which have a similar muscle profile but more generous and forgiving sole.

All time Wilson favourites remain the '76 mini bullet back Staff's.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Foozle said:

I didn't appreciate the significance of the "49". Did that carry through and form the basis of the Fg51, Fg55 etc?

I have a full set (1-Sw) of the Fg49's that I played for a couple of seasons and really liked. Possibly the narrowest blade I have encountered? 

I recently picked up a set of Fg55's which have a similar muscle profile but more generous and forgiving sole.

All time Wilson favourites remain the '76 mini bullet back Staff's.

Hi …I’m not sure regarding the 51s and 55s…that may well be the case that those numbers mean the same, it would make sense if it was…..I do remember that Wilson irons were probably the top played irons by pros back then, second being MacGregor irons.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andy D said:

...I do remember that Wilson irons were probably the top played irons by pros back then, second being MacGregor irons.

I'm not so sure. I think it might have been the other way 'round. If I recall correctly, MacGregor was the first to sponsor Tour Pros, the also were first to put togethe a sales organization made up of club pros. They also sponsored club Pro's, like my Elder Pro friend (Odel Trueblood)....at least, if I remember correctly what Odel told me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcstones said:

I'm not so sure. I think it might have been the other way 'round. If I recall correctly, MacGregor was the first to sponsor Tour Pros, the also were first to put togethe a sales organization made up of club pros. They also sponsored club Pro's, like my Elder Pro friend (Odel Trueblood)....at least, if I remember correctly what Odel told me.

Cool…happy to be corrected 😊

• Like 1

Just now, pdxhak said:

Another vote for the FG17s! I have a couple sets of heads and built set in the garage so I'm a bit biased 😄

Hands down best iron I’ve ever hit, for me! One set in the bag and one in a stash bag in the garage that need grips. I cut off the previous ones and have never replaced them yet. Current set needs new ones but I’m afraid they’ll lose their feel🙈

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, boggyman said:

Hands down best iron I’ve ever hit, for me! One set in the bag and one in a stash bag in the garage that need grips. I cut off the previous ones and have never replaced them yet. Current set needs new ones but I’m afraid they’ll lose their feel🙈

Nice! The two sets of heads I have will eventually be sent off to be refinished. 1 set for the bag and the other to be displayed in my office. The built set I take to the course a couple times per year for fun.

Edited by pdxhak
  • Like 1

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Honma TR21 3 Wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Honma TW W4 52, 56

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

13 minutes ago, pdxhak said:

Nice! The two sets of heads I have will eventually be sent off to be refinished. 1 set for the bag and the other to be displayed in my office. The built set I take to the course a couple times per year for fun.

I play the set in my bag very, very regularly! Several in our playing group tell me they’re all I need, one of them was a long time golf shop owner! I only own one other playable set of irons after the 17s. 

• Like 1