2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

what’s up with michael block?

ChipStrokes

7 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

not sure if you’re an arrested development fan, but most of the guys on tour remind me of george michael’s girlfriend ann

IMG_6069.jpeg.7a93007b2706a7be9e077866d2f6d67c.jpeg

Where's bland, i mean Ann

• Haha 3

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

11 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

BUt it's part of the charm of the PGA championship.  The Masters has all their past winners there even though they tee it up well past the age they likely can compete.  The PGA championship has spots for their members.  Unlike a touring pro, where all their time(and the people around them) is spent to maximize their game, he finished 15th while spending at least some time working on other people's games.  On a brutal course he finished 15th, and other than Justin Rose, there is no one close to his age above him on the leaderboard, and it's a bit before you get to too many near his age below him as well.  Granted, part of the reason he is such a story is because he got made the story to cover up the real story, but I think a little context is needed here.   The ace helps the cause as well.  

Should Tom Watson have not been in the Open Championship in 2009?  I'm not even sure he himself wasn't surprised at doing so well.   Or look at the NCAA basketball tournament.  A low seed wins a few games, should they not be in the tournament because no one figured they had any chance of anything?

I think you're being a little bit too much of a curmudgeon here.  And I can say that because, well, I know how to curmudgeon with the best of them.  :classic_biggrin:

Similar but I draw a different distinction between The Masters/British and the PGA. Watson was/is a past champion of both and much to the chagrin of past champions both committees amended there criteria not so long ago. 

I’ve always a said this and truly believe it. Give the PGA back to the PGA Professionals. Elevate The Players, what the Tour parades it as anyways. Won’t happen but I can dream

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BNGL said:

For the record I don’t begrudge him for accepting the invites if they want him he should take them. But what gets my goat is that he became a story…he finished 15th T15 actually. Who did he finish T15 with ,without looking, I don’t understand why someone finishing there is talked about that much. I truly don’t get it. I understand the club pro angle but again if people are that surprised for a T15 then he shouldn’t be there nor should the other club professionals because you’re just conceding that they have no chance. 

For the same reason that any college basketball fan remembers #16 UMBC beating #1 UVA in the 2018 NCAA Tournament. 16 seeds really don't deserve to be there. They have no chance in the tournament in general. They had never, in history, beaten a #1. And that year, they unceremoniously lost in the next round, only scoring 43 points. 

But every time a #16 was dragging a #1 to the wire in a game, everyone was wondering "will this be the year?" And in 2018, one finally did, and it's going to be the answer to a trivia question for a very long time. 

So it was a heck of a storyline, made even more compelling with the Sunday ace on 15. It's just one of the fun things about sports. 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

14 minutes ago, ae1985 said:

Lol he's in DFL. Jumped the shark when PGAT tried to prop him up with hype to drown out Brooks glory.

C'mon dude, that's so far from reality. Block's was an amazing story. coffee.gif

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

33 minutes ago, BNGL said:

Similar but I draw a different distinction between The Masters/British and the PGA. Watson was/is a past champion of both and much to the chagrin of past champions both committees amended there criteria not so long ago. 

I’ve always a said this and truly believe it. Give the PGA back to the PGA Professionals. Elevate The Players, what the Tour parades it as anyways. Won’t happen but I can dream

But if "having a chance" is the requirement in order for someone to be in the field(that's the way I read your first post), then what is the difference between a past their prime past champion, and someone who finished top 20 in a very recent PGA Professional championship?  Ian Baker-Finch would have more "right" to be in the Open than Block in the PGA based on that logic.  I must be missing something here.

While I understand the sentiment, I can't support anything that doesn't maintain at least a semblance of checks and balances that the PGA tour not "owning" the majors has kept in place.  They've shown they will run roughshod over anything and anyone.  

Fundamentally, they are in the entertainment industry.

Stories sell.  So do good looking people.  Being overweight may actually help your golf game but I doubt that is going to help with sponsor exemptions and endorsements.

Problem is, talented performers like Tiger Woods and Taylor Swift are truly rare.

But, the show must go on, so they need to entertain us even when they  aren't available.

9 minutes ago, ShortGolfer said:

Fundamentally, they are in the entertainment industry.

Stories sell.  So do good looking people.  Being overweight may actually help your golf game but I doubt that is going to help with sponsor exemptions and endorsements.

Problem is, talented performers like Tiger Woods and Taylor Swift are truly rare.

But, the show must go on, so they need to entertain us even when they  aren't available.

I’ve never paid attention to Taylor Swift. She’s as good as Tiger?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ae1985 said:

Sure. For one weekend. Now I don't care.

Understood, but your comment was about "then".

Titleist Pro V1X

35 minutes ago, So_Cal said:

CBS headline says she is in the same financial league as Tiger.

What is really impressive is the way she earned her fortune.

Her fans are devoted enough to sit through the rain to watch her!  She doesn't cancel her concerts because of a little rain.  Or even a lot of rain!

Being able to sell out large outdoor stadium concerts and not having to reschedule due to weather has got to help the bottom line.

ENTERTAINMENT 

Taylor Swift's Eras Tour could make her a billionaire.

Edited by ShortGolfer

3 hours ago, manku said:

Block's unfortunate last name has a long way to go to catch up with this fella...

image.png.b57cf6a392c344f528a3fc07b5b4f829.png 

Pronounced “pole’ “ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, st1800e said:

If the sponsors invite had come say 3-4 weeks later, it would have given him time to decompress and get ready. Going immediately from The PGA to Ft worth, did him no good. Continuous interviews, all the attention, hundred of text messages, probably lack of (good) sleep, instant fame and everything that goes with it etc. did his game  no favours.  
Kudos to him for doing it all though. It’s uncommon on average for most seasoned tour pros to play well the week after a big win, and yes he didn’t win the PGA , but for him that was almost the equivalent from an emotional point.   
I heard his interview after round one at Colonial, pretty clear to me he’s worn out, even with the tears his perspective is in the right place.  

Negative comments about him and his game are disingenuous.  

I agree. A good guy who probably got a bit spoiled by the attention. Then when he does not think and says something dumb some are there to pounce. I wish he would not of played at Colonial either. Nowhere to go but down. That said a hell of a run last week!

• Like 2

There is a lesson here:

If you are ever paired on a Sunday with a multiple major winner and down the stretch make a hole-in-one and an incredible up and down on 18 to get a future exemption, become the media darling and are the talk of the town....take the next week off. It will only add to your mystique. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

Amazon.com: SIGNCHAT 1000 Piece Jigsaw Puzzles Be Strong When You are Weak Golf  Golfer Golf Lover Jigsaw Puzzles for Adults and Kids Development Toys Games  Toys Gift(Educational Digital Printed) : Toys &

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, ShortGolfer said:

Her fans are devoted enough to sit through the rain to watch her!  She doesn't cancel her concerts because of a little rain.  Or even a lot of rain!

Being able to sell out large outdoor stadium concerts and not having to reschedule due to weather has got to help the bottom line.

ENTERTAINMENT 

Gotta give her credit.  Not every girl could date all those guys, break up with them, and then be able to write songs about breaking up with them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, So_Cal said:

ENTERTAINMENT 

1 minute ago, golfortennis said:

Gotta give her credit.  Not every girl could date all those guys, break up with them, and then be able to write songs about breaking up with them.

when i read so-cal’s question i was like “hah that’s funny because they’re nothing alike.”

but when you consider the billion dollars each of them have and the enormous body counts…

yeah, they’re actually pretty similar. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

8 minutes ago, BNGL said:

image.jpeg.9a3afc38cda41ba4e03a434374c932b4.jpeg

tiptx1122 every time he sees this thread has another response 

i’m fighting every urge to start a “what’s up with tiptx?” thread. 

• Haha 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

3 hours ago, Anser3 said:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/michael-block-gives-less-than-humble-response-rory-mcilroys-game

Interesting take.  Not saying he is wrong (I haven't seen him enough to form any opinion on this).  We like folks to remain humble but part of me loves the confidence in this.  No doubt, it's the confidence you need to compete at the highest level. 

I'm not sure what he's supposed to say to something like that. I was looking at his shot-by-shot vs McIlroy and Block is hitting drives in the 260-280 range. That's what I hit. Rory was hitting his standard 310-320.

Brock shot 71, McIlroy shot 69. I can see after watching Rory all day how Brock is thinking "Hey if you let me drop up where Rory's ball comes down I could hang with these guys on a regular basis. I wouldn't have to lay up on par 4s, coulda driven 14 (though he did put it in the front bunker), I would be hitting 2-4 clubs less every approach, and even after all that this week, I was only 3 shots behind Rory for the entire Tournament." 

What's up with Block?

A review of Thursday shows sprayed drives, and several long left misses on approach shots out of rough.

R2 his tee shot misses just into rough, or into left fairway bunkers.

Not sure about comments on "needs new putting coach." R1 back nine showed a couple of putting miscues. R2, however, has shown several short one-putts thus far, after precise wedge shots.

R2 bad holes: No. 13 toed iron shot into water short right, after having some left misses in early holes. No. 5 tee shot also blocked to right... trouble trying to correct pulls?// No. 2, drive into L bunker, then two straight mishits, another DoubleB.

Interim summary for Round 2: He's inconsistent.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

ENTERTAINMENT 

Taylor Swift is a little old

for my tastes.  I I prefer younger women.