Too many clubs - don't know which ones to use

westozhacker

Hi, I'm a high handicap beginner and I have collected too many golf clubs for my own good. I am looking for some advice on what to actually take onto the course out of these:

Driver (essential obviously)

3 and 5 wood

3,4,5,6 hybrids

irons 4-sw

50 and 60 degree wedges

putter..

the main thing i'm not sure about is whether i should ditch the 5 and 6 hybrids for my 4-5 irons or ditch my 3 and 5 woods and just carry driver then 3,4,5,6 hybrids

im also not a great wedge player and the courses i play at don't even have bunkers so dont know if i need any additional wedges besides pw and sw

probably a stupid question but maybe someone has some insight

thanks

Edited by westozhacker
  • Like 1

Not a stupid question. I think it’s a good one honestly. What clubs to carry is a pretty subjective question though because everyone is different and has different playing styles and preferences. What clubs you carry is going to depend on your swing speed which will in turn affect how far you hit each of them and will also just depend on preference. Typically you want about a 10-15 yard difference between each club which may be difficult for a high handicap to figure out but not impossible. The typical recommendation for someone who’s a beginner or high handicapper is going to be to replace anything longer than a 5 or 6 iron with hybrid. Typically a hybrid will replace one iron size longer than the hybrid number. So a 5H replaces 4i, 4h replaces 3i and so on. I believed a  3H or even 2h will replace a 5 wood . personally I’d ditch the 5 wood and use the hybrids they’re more versatile and easier to hit. It will also depend on your preference some people have several hybrids some may only have one or two. I’ve even  seen folks with full sets of hybrids.. As for wedges it will again depend on how you play. The general recommendation is 4-6 degrees of loft.  between wedges starting with pw. Whether you play two or three or four wedges is up to you and will depend on whether you’d rather an extra wood, hybrid or iron OR if you’d rather an extra wedge. Most pros won’t recommend a 60° for high handicappers because it’s easier to miss hit it but again it’s up to you. I love my 60° and have had one since I started last year. I’ve always been best with my wedges. Just remember you’re only supposed to have 14 clubs. No one’s keeping track but technically you’re allowed 14
My set up is as follows:

DR

3w

4h

5h

5-pw

putter 

I’m actually about to replace my 5h with a 4 iron because I like irons better and feel more confident with them but also still want at least one hybrid since they’re better in the rough and give an in between irons and woods. it took me a while to get my set up right. You’ll just have to play around with it until you find what you like

Edited by Billy_shears
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

Rotate through different combos to find out which clubs you hit better than others. Process of elimination. But don’t sell any of the ones that didn’t make the final cut because as your swing & game changes, you may find those other clubs suit you better.

That would be my advice as well.

I'm fortunate that I get to play golf pretty often so I know this is easier for me to say than for someone who only gets to play once or twice a week but for me "testing" different clubs takes a while. It can be really misleading to just go out and, say, play two balls on a few holes and hit your 6h and 6i to see which shots are better. Or to play one round with the 6i in the bag then one round with the 6h.

If I'm trying to decide between two clubs that cover a similar slot in the bag, I prefer to stick with one of them for several rounds and kind of get in a groove with that one in the bag then switch and stick to the other option for a while and get used to it.

Which is why @95124hacker's suggestion of not getting rid of club too quickly is important. It's really hard to know for sure whether a certain club works better than another (unless one of them is just awful). And that might change in future with more tryout time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, North Butte said:

That would be my advice as well.

I'm fortunate that I get to play golf pretty often so I know this is easier for me to say than for someone who only gets to play once or twice a week but for me "testing" different clubs takes a while. It can be really misleading to just go out and, say, play two balls on a few holes and hit your 6h and 6i to see which shots are better. Or to play one round with the 6i in the bag then one round with the 6h.

If I'm trying to decide between two clubs that cover a similar slot in the bag, I prefer to stick with one of them for several rounds and kind of get in a groove with that one in the bag then switch and stick to the other option for a while and get used to it.

Which is why @95124hacker's suggestion of not getting rid of club too quickly is important. It's really hard to know for sure whether a certain club works better than another (unless one of them is just awful). And that might change in future with more tryout time.

It also can be good to have both candidates for a certain slot in the bag at the same time so you can see which one you find yourself naturally gravitating to during the round.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I suggest dropping the 60* wedge for now.  It's not a good club for a beginner IMHO.  FWIW, I found that true for myself when I was a beginner.

I think the yes or no on carrying the 3w routinely is a 50% answer.  It might be useful off the tee, but I would suggest not trying to hit it off the turf.  Unless you find yourself doing that well on the range, that is.  Stick with the hybrids or 5w as a longer club for non tee situations. 

As for hybrids vs irons, the only way to know for sure is trial and error.  And we're all different, even in similar handicap groups.  How you hit each over time will determine which is better for you.

• Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

the main thing i'm not sure about is whether i should ditch the 5 and 6 hybrids for my 4-5 irons or ditch my 3 and 5 woods and just carry driver then 3,4,5,6 hybrids

I'd get to the range.  Look at your distances and decided which clubs fit your swing.  Everyone is different, I can't hit hybrids for s*** and find long irons much easier.  You're going to need to decide what works best for you.  No one on here can tell you with any certainty which clubs are best for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you can't hit a club don't carry it!

For many this means they don't need the 3W or the lob wedge.  Same with long irons.

It is likely that the 5W is better for making long shots off the deck than the 3W

But, even with a very low swing speed, I can hit the 3W off the deck and hit a lob wedge close to the green.  As well as tee off with a 22* iron.

I started playing with just five clubs.  This made it easy to walk the course and practice course management.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't forget to have fun out there!

One of my best rounds was joining a guy playing with his mother who was ahead of me.

I shot lousy but that took the pressure off his mother so she could make her shots!

I got to learn how to play with others as to just being a single on the course.

Fewer clubs helps you get used to everything else you need to learn while being out there.

Proper respect for others and playing fast is all most other golfers care about. 

Hit as many strokes as  you like as long as you don't slow down the game!

• Like 2

To be honest, only YOU know which clubs you hit the best and which one of those clubs gives you the best gapping.

But here is what I do with the clubs I have -

I leave my 3 wood in my trunk(most days) and my lob wedge I never really use.

Reason is my 5 wood is more consistent even if the max distance is less and the lob wedge is just a skuller club waiting to happen.

• Like 2

TSR1 10 B1 Diamana ZF 60 R

TSI1 18 C3 Tensei Blue 65 R

TSI1 20 A4 HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0

2021 T200 4-6 PXi 5.0

AP2 714 7-PW Flighted PX 5.5

SM9 50/54/58 PX 6.0

Scotty CC Newport+ 

Driver, 5wd, 4hy, 5hy, 6hy, 6-sw, putter.

I would start there and fill gaps as needed. 

Loose the blade wedges in the mean time.

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

If I could go back to beginner, I would use significantly less clubs, and just focus on the game, proper distances, and good swings.

Driver

3Hybrid (punch outs, low flights, bump and runs around the green)

5Wood (good flighted distance club)

6-Pw

Putter

10 clubs that won't complicate anything, no self question or doubts about where when and how to use them.  Just go enjoy the game and focus on your swing.

As you play, take some notes of what you need, or what you feel you're missing, and then fill in those gaps IF they develop.

Edited by KGrinols
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fuscinator said:

If you can hit your driver, bring it. If you can't, then use the 5w.

I wouldn't be surprised if you hit all your hybrids the same distance, so just bring the 6.

7-iron through pw. If you can't hit those clubs, there's always pickleball.

Bring the lob wedge, but save it for snakes.

Putter.

You can play a lot of good golf using fewer clubs.

I like that advice.  Until you become a more proficient player (lower your handicap), 6-iron or 7-iron to PW is good advice. One or two hybrids, max.  5-wood is a great club to become proficient with.  Leave the 60* wedge in your car - no need to carry another heavy club from your car to whatever.

And make sure that your driver has enough loft, and the correct settings, to make it as easy to hit straight as possible.

• Thanks 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I think the best advice in this discussion is the concept of carrying fewer clubs. The biggest step I took to lowering my handicap was setting ego aside and carrying only 8 clubs: Driver,  3w, 7w, 6h, 8i, Pw, Sw, putter. 

For me, this makes my on-course decisions easier. Wide open fw from the tee: Driver. Tight: 3w or 7w. Long-ish par 3? 6h. Tee shot into the fw? 6h. Tee shot into the rough? 8i, never a thought of wood or hybrid. Chip onto green is the hardest decision: bump and run with 8i? Long-ish chip that isn't b&r? Pw. Shortish chip that isn't b&r? Sw. From the fringe? Putter. This not only makes my decisions easier by overly complicating the thoughts with too many clubs, it also improves my ball-striking because I can hit good shots with all these clubs even if they are a bit shorter than my playing partners (again, setting ego aside). My playing partners scratch their heads when I beat them while hitting it a lot shorter off the tee, hitting GIR+1, but unlike them, I'm rarely in the trees, never in the water, always advancing the ball down the fw a good distance, rarely topping the ball or hitting fat or duffing chips, rarely 3 putt.   

You’ll get 95-99 different answers from 100 people. Personally, the less the better Id say. I use 12 clubs no problem. Me personally, I’d go D, 5w, 4-6 hybrid then 7-SW with the putter. You could always change the 5w for the 3 hybrid as well. It’s all what suits your game.  Some time on the range to gather some distances and getting comfortable with your clubs would help you out. 

How bout a short set? 
D

4,6 hybrid

8,Pw,Sw,P

Way too many options. You’ll be left scratching your head sure nuff after all these posts! Good luck to ya! 

Edited by boggyman

As a beginner, I'd probably start with driver (you have to at least give it a chance) one wood (whichever you hit the best), 5i, 7i, 9i, wedge, and putter.  Then you can add clubs as you groove your swing.  

For me personally as a 63-year old who's been playing for years but never with much frequency until I retired at 55, I've gone to carrying just 6 clubs, and they are the ones I can hit with some consistency.  Some will question the gaps, but I carry an sldr mini-driver (may upgrade to brnr mini if it becomes available again), 5-7i, pw, and putter.  I don't usually keep score, but I get as many pars as I ever had.

I play off-handed a bit and I've found that the following is plenty to get started:

Driver

3iron - Can substitute 5w/4h type of club if you hit them better

5i, 7i-Pw, GW, SW

Putter

The next club to get added will be the 6i, then eventually a 2nd driver that goes slightly shorter & has a different shape.  

Good Luck @westozhacker

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

My suggestion:

3 and 5 wood Average golfer can hit a 4W or 5W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W. Since you have 5W, keep it

3,4,5,6 hybrids: Start out with 4H and 5H.

irons 4-sw: Can you launch a 4i? If not, replace with hybrid.

50 and 60 degree wedges:  If you have trouble with wedges, skip the 60*/lob. Maybe try it a season or two down road to see if it works for you. (Note: On PGA tour, half the pros have a 58* as their highest lofted wedge)

putter.

--------------------

This would give  you roughly 12 clubs to work with. As you gain playing experience, you will be able to tell what you need for the final two.

--------------------

Question: Does your iron set contain a PW, GW and SW? If so, keep iron set GW or go with separate 50*. 

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

That's why I bought a bag with 15 slots..🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

8 minutes ago, westozhacker said:

thanks for the advice everyone, gave me a good idea of what i should try

i have gone with driver, 5w, 4+5h, 5-sw, putter for now. 

Sounds like a solid set up. good luck out there! Just remember you can always hang on to the rest and change out clubs until you find your set up 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 10:28 PM, westozhacker said:

3 and 5 wood

3,4,5,6 hybrids

irons 4-sw

50 and 60 degree wedges

putter

I'd pare it down to the following:

driver

5 wood

5 hybrid

6 hybrid or 6 iron

7 iron

8 iron

9 iron

PW

GW

SW

putter

• Like 1

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

On 5/31/2023 at 10:28 PM, westozhacker said:

Hi, I'm a high handicap beginner and I have collected too many golf clubs for my own good. I am looking for some advice on what to actually take onto the course out of these:

3 and 5 wood

3,4,5,6 hybrids

irons 4-sw

50 and 60 degree wedges

putter..

im also not a great wedge player and the courses i play at don't even have bunkers so dont know if i need any additional wedges besides pw and sw

probably a stupid question but maybe someone has some insight

thanks

HIGH HC BEGINNER - key words

Driver

5 wood

4 and 5 hy

6-PW (or a 6HY depending instead of 6i depending on results)

50,  56 (@55)

Putter

Do not need the 3 wood or 60 yet, do not need 4 or 5i

Get a GOOD instructor and add more irons, drop a hybrid and add a 60 and 3 wood as you go

Edited by SwingMan

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions