Will Rose Zhang win again in 2023?

Depends, if she has the lowest score after 4 completed rounds I believe she will.

• Haha 3

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I don't know what her schedule is going to look like.

She was planning to attend classes at Stanford in person, right? So...does her win alter that? Does her LPGA career become a greater priority if she's currently capable of winning tournaments? 

Maybe someone can bring us up to speed on what events Rose is going to play on the LPGA through the rest of 2023. 

As far as her overall game (and my opinion obviously doesn't matter), I think she's an interesting figure. She's not overly powerful and we didn't get to see her scramble very much. She obviously didn't play the best on Sunday but several other players faltered so it wasn't as big a deal as it often is where winners typically don't win without a good Sunday showing. 

And as the commentators routinely noted throughout the event, being accurate off the tee (which she was) is a huge part of her playing well. So she would need to keep that up to even get into contention. In that way she seems a bit like Lydia--not overly powerful and subject to the ever-present possibility of bad driving sort of throwing a wrench into things. Thankfully, Rose responded to her occasional bad drive by immediately following those up with good swings. So good for her. 

I'm not convinced she's entirely comfortable on the LPGA right now (who would be, right?!). The event she won was very unique and the presence of the AJGA players (including Anna Davis being with her in the final pairing!!!) probably took a lot of anxiety out of the equation that would've been there for a rookie in a more conventional situation. But those are the differences that great players capitalize on, so who knows? 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 3

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I wonder if she's peaking right now. In track & field you'll often see collegiate athletes perform well at the US championships and then fall off at the world championships and Olympics. Their seasons are set up for them to perform their best at the NCAA championships and they are often still at that level physically and mentally at the US champs.

She won the ANJA and just came off NCAAs. A lot of moving pieces and new things to get acclimated to in her life. 

If she wins again,  I doubt it will be similar to this one. A birdie free Sunday and a chase pack that didn't apply as much pressure as they could have. 

Edited by AWinfortheAges
  • Like 3

I actually came away thinking what a shame this Sunday was for Aditi Ashok. She doesn't have the power to be a dominant player. Even on the LPGA, she's a short hitter. If she doesn't get it across the finish line this year she probably won't ever win. 

Consider the fact that Aditi Ashok posted a 74 on Sunday and lost by 2 strokes. Had she been able to shoot level par she would've applied more pressure down the stretch and made the play-off. 

Her scoring average over the first 3 days was 69. Had she simply shot 1-under (71) she would've finally gotten that elusive win. What a gut punch. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 2

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

7 hours ago, MelloYello said:

I actually came away thinking what a shame this Sunday was for Aditi Ashok. She doesn't have the power to be a dominant player. Even on the LPGA, she's a short hitter. If she doesn't get it across the finish line this year she probably won't ever win. 

Consider the fact that Aditi Ashok posted a 74 on Sunday and lost by 2 strokes. Had she been able to shoot level par she would've applied more pressure down the stretch and made the play-off. 

Her scoring average over the first 3 days was 69. Had she simply shot 1-under (71) she would've finally gotten that elusive win. What a gut punch. .

They talked a bit on the broadcast about Aditi picking up some distance this season.  I think that's plausable, she's certainly tall enough to have gained some clubhead speed.  True that she's unlikely to be long enough to be dominant, but dominant players are super rare.  It wouldn't take much for her to get into the category of regular contender and occasional winner, top 30 money list.  The rest of her game is that good.

I wouldn't write her off just yet if she doesn't get a LPGA win this season.  She took a big step forward with her sizzling start to the LET season and she's taken another with top 5s in her last 3 stroke play events on LPGA.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

I know it's quite the thing Zhang is doing, but all this fuss...didn't Brooke Henderson do this and more at a younger age?

yes on the younger age part and no brooke didnt win any ncaa titles nor did she win her first time out as a pro she did win the year she turned pro .

Edited by jimecherry
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

yes on the younger age part and no brooke didnt win any ncaa titles nor did she win her first time out as a pro she did win the year she turned pro .

She skipped playing in college, so NCAA title....meh.  And she had to monday qualify her way into events her first year.

Again, Zhang is doing some impressive stuff, but people are acting like she is the second coming or something.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

She skipped playing in college, so NCAA title....meh.  And she had to monday qualify her way into events her first year.

Again, Zhang is doing some impressive stuff, but people are acting like she is the second coming or something.  

so lpga deserves no hype or are you upset that previous Canadians/New Zealanders didnt get the hype they deserved?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimecherry said:

so lpga deserves no hype or are you upset that previous Canadians/New Zealanders didnt get the hype they deserved?

Yeah, it’s possible the hype is because she was #1 ranked amateur in the world for what? 2 years? Or was it 3?

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

7 hours ago, jimecherry said:

Not the guy you are replying to, but for me it’s the latter. I’m Thai so I’m particularly annoyed because Jeeno too has done more than Rose at this point in time, yet Rose is touted to dominate by fans and Jeeno gets crickets.

It’s not Rose, it’s the new fans around Rose spouting nonsense without any knowledge of the tour. Plenty of those on social media this week. Then the very worst are the ones who have the knowledge but say that women’s golf needs Rose to survive - looking at you BAN. What is it about everyone else that is not enough?

The LPGA should properly promote the great global talent it possesses, not chasing the mythical ‘X-factor’ to appeal to fickle America.

Edited by DuenPhen
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, jimecherry said:

Neither.  I'm saying let's stop acting like someone is the second coming and breaking new ground when quite similar achievements have been accomplished before.  I don't get caught up in nationalities personally, as a d-bag is a d-bag, and doesn't get a pass for being from the same country as me.  Henderson had a major championship by the time she was Zhang's age.  

There are at least 8 women who won major championships before they were Zhang's age, at least 5 of whom could be called all time greats.  Let's keep some perspective is what I am saying.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Yeah, it’s possible the hype is because she was #1 ranked amateur in the world for what? 2 years? Or was it 3?

While many her age have been playing and winning professional tournaments.  Atthiya Thitikul was second on the CME globe race last year.  Zhang is a very good player, no question.  But she's not the Michael Jordan she is being made out to be.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, golfortennis said:

5 hours ago, DuenPhen said:

Not the guy you are replying to, but for me it’s the latter. I’m Thai so I’m particularly annoyed because Jeeno too has done more than Rose at this point in time, yet Rose is touted to dominate by fans and Jeeno gets crickets.

It’s not Rose, it’s the new fans around Rose spouting nonsense without any knowledge of the tour. Plenty of those on social media this week. Then the very worst are the ones who have the knowledge but say that women’s golf needs Rose to survive - looking at you BAN. What is it about everyone else that is not enough?

The LPGA should properly promote the great global talent it possesses, not chasing the mythical ‘X-factor’ to appeal to fickle America.

It's largely BAN with her latest golf crush until Ana Davis is ready to turn pro. 

The enthusiasm is okay. But the PGA came out Tuesday and sucked all the oxygen out of the golf "ecosystem" and stepped on her accomplishment. So Rose is going to be an LPGA story instead of a Professional Golf story for a while.

I'm not sure why she felt she needed to make the Tiger Woods comparison. Rose could probably win 3 more times this year and Beth Ann write 6 dozen articles and the machine that built Tiger and tried to build Wie won't be there for Rose.

2 hours ago, golfortennis said:

While many her age have been playing and winning professional tournaments.  Atthiya Thitikul was second on the CME globe race last year.  Zhang is a very good player, no question.  But she's not the Michael Jordan she is being made out to be.  

Wow, I must have missed the “second coming” comments.   All I’ve heard or seen is that she is expected to be a solid performer…a top 10-20 player.

I would say she has an excellent chance of that.

6 hours ago, DuenPhen said:

who’s Jeeno?

6 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Wow, I must have missed the “second coming” comments.   All I’ve heard or seen is that she is expected to be a solid performer…a top 10-20 player.

I would say she has an excellent chance of that.

who’s Jeeno?

You don't need individual instances of people saying something to derive a larger narrative from media coverage. In this case, since nobody can explain why Rose's win is significant w/o discussing her dominance as an Amateur it is therefore implied that by virtue of her winning her first ever Pro event that the trend of dominance may continue. 

That's literally the whole point of it, why Rose's win is significant -- because she's been a dominant winner up to this point. 

Jeeno is Atthaya's nickname. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

20 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

You don't need individual instances of people saying something to derive a larger narrative from media coverage. In this case, since nobody can explain why Rose's win is significant w/o discussing her dominance as an Amateur it is therefore implied that by virtue of her winning her first ever Pro event that the trend of dominance may continue. 

That's literally the whole point of it, why Rose's win is significant -- because she's been a dominant winner up to this point. 

Jeeno is Atthaya's nickname. 

Thank you…that’s who I thought but wasn’t sure.  Currently Jeeno is ahead of Rose in my eyes.

Problem is, in my opinion, everyone is in a hurry to be first and make a prognostication about young players.  Tiger had extreme hype and still exceeded the early hype(although one his career got going the hype reached silly expectations with number like 30majors suggested).  

Rose we don’t know. or will not be a superstar.  Looking at the current top 10 I would say she certainly could be a top 10  player but there is nothing guaranteed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Thank you…that’s who I thought but wasn’t sure.  Currently Jeeno is ahead of Rose in my eyes.

Problem is, in my opinion, everyone is in a hurry to be first and make a prognostication about young players.  Tiger had extreme hype and still exceeded the early hype(although one his career got going the hype reached silly expectations with number like 30majors suggested).  

Rose we don’t know. or will not be a superstar.  Looking at the current top 10 I would say she certainly could be a top 10  player but there is nothing guaranteed.

I agree. A Lydia Ko is more rare than a Leona Maguire, which is to say carrying Amateur dominance over to a Pro career is not the norm. 

And by their nature, "greatness" and "dominance" are things that must be established over time. So, having the potential and actually doing it are two very different things and there's little point is hypothesizing until we get a couple solid years of production from Rose as a Professional. 

Could Rose be the next Lydia Ko? It's certainly possible, but I think there are a slew of great players for her to contend with (Atthaya being a great example) and as Rose contends with the world's top athletes she'll have to prove she's more than just consistent across 72 holes. 

I would say her recent win was an exceptional story but no doubt a lot had to fall into place for it to happen. It will be exciting to watch her as a Pro. 

• Like 4

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS