New Graphite Design VF shafts - 2023 3M Open

GolfWRX_Spotted

Just now, eric61 said:

Looks like Callaway has the VF up as a custom option in their woods now. Has anybody seen any other OEMs work it into their shaft lineups yet?

That was quick.  TM will probably follow suit. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

17 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Just a bit of useless info, but I thought you guys would be interested to know that I just saw Zander Lombard with what looked to be a VF in his driver playing in Spain this week.  

Yes driver and 3 it appears 

IMG_1996.png

• Like 1

Callaway Tour Issue Paradym TD-S 8.5 (7.9) - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 5X

TaylorMade BRNR Mini (24) 13.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
Taylormade Tour QI10 16.5 - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X.
PXG 0311X Gen 5 -  Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X

PXG 0317T - 4 - LAGP L-Series (5) X
Miura KM-700  5-PW - LAGP L-Series (5) X
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy 2 " 50,54,60 - DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Holiday LTD (23}/ LAGP 135 (White)

On 10/15/2023 at 9:43 PM, djhgolf said:

Yes driver and 3 it appears 

IMG_1996.png

VF 8TX isn't even available for us hackers.  Must be tour only.  Lucky SOB, lol. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

On 10/15/2023 at 12:55 PM, phizzy30 said:

That was quick.  TM will probably follow suit. 

Titleist has added it as well in all the retail weights and flexes. 

• Like 1

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 90 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ True Temper Project X HZRDUS Gen4 Black 105 HY TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey Design SM10 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.5T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold TI

Scotty Cameron Teryllium Fastback TFB-1.5 T22 Tour

25 minutes ago, ForTourUseOnly said:

Titleist has added it as well in all the retail weights and flexes. 

That's cool.  How does the 8X play for you?  If the 7TX is any good I may pick a VF for 3 metal even though I'm happy with the GT.  Just really wish they had the 8TX available.  My guy has an account with GD so I will ask him if he can get any 8TX in even though it's tour only atm. 

Edited by phizzy30

7 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I didn't wanna tinker with shafts anymore either after I got the TR Black, but it's a sickness that doesn't seem to ever get bettter...........I'm gonna try to get out to the range tomorrow after work if I have time.  If not, I play Sunday so I will post a review very soon. 

Very much looking forward to your observations…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Got out last night but only had an hour to hit balls.  Wife wanted me back home for dinner on time, lol.  It was one of those places that had a top tracer LM.  Managed to hit 20 balls with driver due to the time constraint.  Here's the verdict.  It's really smooth as expected from a modern GD shaft.  Very linear and pretty stout although feels a little softer than the Ventus/TR Black.  I was seeing a little higher launch compared to the TR Black and ball speeds were average for me.  It's on the stable side although not quite as anti-left as the TR Black.  Definitely easier to hit a cut with the TR Black without having to manipulate my setup and swing too much compared to the VF.  I'm very excited about taking the VF out for a spin out on the course Sunday and will post again. 

11-14* launch

174-181 ball speed

100 ft average apex

These things don't measure spin which is a bummer.  I'm satisfied overall with the performance.  However, I will have to do some more testing to determine which shaft stays and which one goes so lookout of one of these shafts on BST in a couple weeks guys.       

I’d love your input about VF versus original Ventus Black and TR Blue.  Shaft ho levels are at an all time high lol.  

Thinking about VF 7tx versus TR Blue 7x….

Just now, GreenMachine said:

That is a good looking shaft . 

You should see it in person. 

What might be the ideal match for someone playing a HZRDUS Black 6.5 60g?

I'm thinking 6X? 

If it's extra stout like a Ventus or Tensei Black, maybe 6S?

I need to make a calculated guess, because there's little chance of trying this out at my local Golf Town, they don't carry aftermarket shafts.

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9* - Ventus Black 6S

Woods: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 & 5 Wood - Ventus Black 7S

Hybrid: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour - Ventus Blue 85HYB Stiff

Irons: TaylorMade p790 & p770 Combo Set - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50 SB - 54 SB - 58 LBV - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour DB 35"

21 hours ago, PickItUpGolf said:

What might be the ideal match for someone playing a HZRDUS Black 6.5 60g?

I'm thinking 6X? 

If it's extra stout like a Ventus or Tensei Black, maybe 6S?

I need to make a calculated guess, because there's little chance of trying this out at my local Golf Town, they don't carry aftermarket shafts.

It's not quite as stout as the Ventus/TR Black or 1K Black.  What's your ss and transition?  If you're not 115+, the TX flex maybe too much for you, so X tipped 0.5 to an inch maybe more suitable.  I've noticed that the X flex for GD shafts tend to play more like a stiff+. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Went out to play Los Amigos yesterday which is pretty open from the tee box.  The VF performed reasonably well.  I hit one really bad shot drive where it hooked, but that's because I got too quick(medium long par 5)but still stayed in play.  The next hole requires a fade which I was able to hit off the next tee.  Unfortunately, I hit it a bit heel side and it cut more than I had intended but it got the job done.  Other drives were 2 to 5 yard draws with a couple low off the face, but those stayed straight and manage to creep out there.  Dispersion pattern seems to be a little wider than the TR Black, but it feels better/smoother.  VF feels really smooth for such a stout and linear shaft.  It's like a slightly beefed up TR Blue which I mentioned earlier.  I will need to do more testing to make a final decision.             

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

It's not quite as stout as the Ventus/TR Black or 1K Black.  What's your ss and transition?  If you're not 115+, the TX flex maybe too much for you, so X tipped 0.5 to an inch maybe more suitable.  I've noticed that the X flex for GD shafts tend to play more like a stiff+. 

Okay that's all great to know, thank you!

I don't know for sure what I'm swinging at right now, looking forward to getting on a simulator soon to see for sure. Usually I'm around 105-110mph though, so TX is definitely not for me yet.

Something playing like a stiff+ might be the most suitable for me, I really like my HZRDUS Green 6.0 too.

Will see who's offering the new shaft and what the new year brings and give the VF 6X a try.

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9* - Ventus Black 6S

Woods: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 & 5 Wood - Ventus Black 7S

Hybrid: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour - Ventus Blue 85HYB Stiff

Irons: TaylorMade p790 & p770 Combo Set - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50 SB - 54 SB - 58 LBV - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour DB 35"

3 hours ago, PickItUpGolf said:

Okay that's all great to know, thank you!

I don't know for sure what I'm swinging at right now, looking forward to getting on a simulator soon to see for sure. Usually I'm around 105-110mph though, so TX is definitely not for me yet.

Something playing like a stiff+ might be the most suitable for me, I really like my HZRDUS Green 6.0 too.

Will see who's offering the new shaft and what the new year brings and give the VF 6X a try.

VF-6X tipped 0.5 to an inch would probably be your sweet spot then. 

• Thanks 1

I have VF 5X that should hopefully be showing up Thursday so I have time to build it and play Saturday at Chambers. I've been playing a TR Black 5X recently with admittedly great dispersion but I don't love the feel of it being so linear and no loading feeling whatsoever. I played the TR Blue previously and the middle kicked like a mule. Hoping the VF is sort of  goldilocks in between. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

Of all the amazing shafts released in the last year or so, this one has my full attention.  The sad part is, TR Red has been truly amazing...what am I even doing??!!  

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

5 hours ago, PNW said:

I have VF 5X that should hopefully be showing up Thursday so I have time to build it and play Saturday at Chambers. I've been playing a TR Black 5X recently with admittedly great dispersion but I don't love the feel of it being so linear and no loading feeling whatsoever. I played the TR Blue previously and the middle kicked like a mule. Hoping the VF is sort of  goldilocks in between. 

I went through a similar change (Ventus black 5S to VF5X) last week and it was a great switch to say the least. The unloading feeling was the most obv to me - probably something you desire. To me Ventus was more physically challenging as I don't play that often, though a very stable shaft, not so easy to launch it properly when I wasn't feeling as energetic. The swing weight on my VF5X with a stealth 2 plus at 45.5-inch is at 4.7 FYR. Feels awesome.

One caveat though, the VF5X feels much softer than the black 5S, not to mention a TR black 5X. You'll probably need to find a new "release tempo" with the VF. That said, I have zero regrets. Hope you'll love your new shaft.

• Thanks 1

@tigerwooooo My tempo has slowed quite a bit in the last year but my speed is still there for the most part. The TR Black was great at same speed (108-110) but when my tempo was quicker. Now the TR makes me want to speed up transition more than preferred, so hopefully I find VF to have similar launch and stability while being a just a touch easier. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

6 hours ago, PNW said:

VF is a good middle ground between the TR Black and TR Blue.  Launches just a hair higher than the TR Black without feeling so linear and stout.  I wouldn't say it has no kick to it but in no way does it kick/load hard either.  It's not nearly as physically demanding to load properly either compared to the TR Black.  I feel like it stays with me throughout the down swing while still retaining that smooth GD feel.   

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Played at my home course today with the VF.  Hit one really bad drive where it hooked to the adjacent fairway as it was off the toe, but that was result of a poor swing.  The VF is super stable in that I can hit a gentle cut on demand yet turn it over which is my stock shot.  It doesn't fade too much either unless it's hit way off the heel.  The higher launch is right in my desired window.  It wins the feel department hands down for a tip stiff low/low shaft.  It's still a tough decision as the VF and TR Black have their negatives and positives.  The closest shaft to the VF in the GD line up would be the UB, IMO.  VF feels firmer overall, but especially in the handle.  I'm going back to the range to test them some more.  

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 1:00 PM, Ereim said:

Arrived today, tipped 1”. Should be able to test later this week.

image.jpg.4c9a7721967916097b43b6d0951c9b02.jpg

Able to get on the course or range yet with this beaut?

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

5 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Played at my home course today with the VF.  Hit one really bad drive where it hooked to the adjacent fairway as it was off the toe, but that was result of a poor swing.  The VF is super stable in that I can hit a gentle cut on demand yet turn it over which is my stock shot.  It doesn't fade too much either unless it's hit way off the heel.  The higher launch is right in my desired window.  It wins the feel department hands down for a tip stiff low/low shaft.  It's still a tough decision as the VF and TR Black have their negatives and positives.  The closest shaft to the VF in the GD line up would be the UB, IMO.  VF feels firmer overall, but especially in the handle.  I'm going back to the range to test them some more.  

Be interested in carry distance and launch differences in VF vs TR Black.

Thinking TR black for windy seaside and VF in Asia where there’s not much role and carry is a premium.

Thanks for the info and look forward to your final thoughts between the two.

4 hours ago, djhgolf said:

Be interested in carry distance and launch differences in VF vs TR Black.

Thinking TR black for windy seaside and VF in Asia where there’s not much role and carry is a premium.

Thanks for the info and look forward to your final thoughts between the two.

I'd say 1-2* difference in launch.  TR Black seems to be about 10 yards shorter carry wise but because it comes off lower, it tends to run out more so overall distance is a wash for me.  As for my final decision, it's a tough one.  I like that the VF launches higher and carries further, but it comes at the expense of a wider dispersion pattern.  VF is way easier to load compared to the TR Black which would be good on days where the swing is just off and I tire out.