Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

Golfchicago

• 1 month later...
Do you get the full benefit of the spin milled grooves when coming out of the sand? I love the stopping power of the Vokey, just curious if the sand mitigates the benefits.

ย 

thx

ย 

Depends on your lie and if you're hitting out of wet or fluffy sand. If you can pick the ball, then yes the ball will spin. I too have noticed the cheese grater effect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

These are incredible wedges. I use a 54.14 and a 58.08 (plus a 48* 200 series) and they spin the ball like crazy. Even without the spin, they simply are dead accurate. People say that it's the indian, not the arrow, but I can tell you that whereas I used to happy within four feet, it's now down to about 18". When I tried my first chip with the 54, it hit the pin. With my 48, my first two both grabbed the cup. And I hit the pin about 6 times that day. These things are excellent.

In response to the above question, I'd recommend the oil can if you don't mind the wear. Both will spin it great, but the oil can feels better (I think) and there's no glare.

• 2 weeks later...

Titleist SM Vokey
ยซ on: Today at 12:46:26 ยป Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, this is an early review for my SM Oil Can 60.08 after 1 round, but here goes on first impressions:

Looks
The oil can finish makes it look really sweet, similar to the dark brown of the rusty finis on raw wedges but lighter, different but in a better way because you know that's how it should look. This is a personal thing, but the head seems to be smaller and with less loft on it than my old Raw Vokey but as I say, that's personal.

Performance
Stunning, magnificent, truly amazing. you actually don't know what you're missing until you try one of these. I was in the boat of 'Don't need that much spin, just land it shorter' but it makes things far easier around the greens, up to 60 or so yards for me anyway. I hit 3 shots from 60 yards yesterday, into the wind so they were 3/4 swings, finished up 8 feet, 5 feet and 1 foot, with the last flying into the hole and hopping out. Immense, from that kind of distance you can just throw it to the pin and not worry about the slope of the green or whatever, it'll stick where it lands.
Pitching
I definitely think that the club makes it easier to get out of really sticky spots, and I got the feeling that the grooves scythe through the rough easier and more efficiently, as you certainly don't need the same sort of effort to get down and through the ball. The spin coming from the grooves makes you actually want to try out the different shots, the low hooky hop n' stopper or the high floater that dies on arrival, truly epic grooves

Feel
I didn't realise until today the benefit of grips on a golf club and having the same grips on all your sticks. When I first picked it up, not only did the tour Velvet grip feel strange and alien (I'm used to MultiCompound grips on all my clubs) but the weight of the head was quite different to the Raw Vokey, it'll just take time to get new grips is all. Certainly the feel when hitting the ball is a lot less harsh for want of a better phrase. The Raw had a hard, clunky sort of feel unless you really nipped the beggar in which case it was perfect. The SM feels like you're hitting thru air, courtesy again of the aggressive grooves I presume as it certainly feels lighter thru impact.

Effect on Balls
Now I didn't use it on brand spanking new balls because I'm a tight, scroungy sort of person but the ProV's I was hitting with it were getting battered. I hit one full shot with a ProV for the larf and it just shredded the thing, even the 60 yarders were cutting deep into the ball, which is of course the price one must pay for a high spin wedge. Knowing this, I'm planning on just using this club for 60 yards and in, as I see no point in lashing into the ball knowing that A) you're destroying it and B) an easy sand wedge is gonna be just as good and more consistent

That's it for the moment on this machine, for I can't call it anything else, I'll do a longer term review on it in a week or 2

Drive safe now

• 5 weeks later...

I have had these wedges for 2 months now 54/10, 60/8 and feel that they are upgrades from my 588s that I played since the early 90s. The 54 is the most versatile club I have ever played. I especially like the loft for chipping and pitching. I have enjoyed the 60 from tight places and bunkers and I am getting better at dialing it in from the fairway.

ย 

I had the ball shredding issue when they were new and they were producing too much spin. I spent some time in the practice bunker and now the grooves are not so brutal. I don't play Pro V-1s that often, and I find that these wedges can make any decent ball behave.

ย 

One word of caution, I had the 60/04 for a few weeks and ended up trading it for the 60/08. I never had a problem with my 588 60/3, but I found that the slightly different sole really made this club touchy especially with the courses in South Florida. It was fine in the bunkers and on really firm lies, but I had issues anytime I had a medium to soft lie as the club had a tendancy to dig. I traded for the 60/08 and found that it is just right for the type of courses that I play.

Cobra LTDx 10.5*ย Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0ย 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300ย 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10*ย S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3ย 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great question about the Oil Can wearing off. I have had mine less then 9 month and on the sweat spot the oil can is wearing off. Not such a bad thing because I dont predict any shine from the sun. The other thing is if you play near the ocean the Oil Can gets rusty really fast. I played 4 days at Bandon Dunes and the wedges looked really old after. Trying to decide if I get that rust off I think it is decreasing my spin, I know that is contrary to popular belief. But the ball doesnt to spin as much now.

ย 

Has anyone heard how to restore? I have heard two methods soak in coke over night and soak in marina sauce over night. I will take some pics and post them for your reference.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know any titleist golf balls that will stand up to the SM 60*. i have prov1x's and the club just shreds the cover off of them. any tips?

----------------------------------------------------

Titleist 905R 9.5* ProForce V2 S
Titleist 906F 15* ProForce V2 S
TaylorMade 18* V-Steel
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 22*
Titleist ZM Forged 5-PW Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey 52*
Cleveland 588 56*
Titleist Vokey SM 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5

• 1 month later...
i just got an oil can spin milled 58* and the finish on the sole and were i was hitting it was wearing off after about 15-20 shots, expected it to happen, but not that fast

Yeah, I bought a 60* and the finish is wearing off really fast. But, that is the only think I could possibly of as being a downside with these wedges. They feel great, look even better, and best of all they put more spin on the ball than any other wedge I've owned.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just added a 56/10 SM and love it. It replaced a 588 RTG 56. The SM has a much softer feel and giving me almost almost 20 yards more. I could never hit the 588 more than 80 yards. This has created gap to my 51* 588 as it used to be my 100 yard club. Maybe the extra yardage is due to the lower bounce, I don't know. But I now want to replace my 51 with a vokey

• 1 month later...

I have had my spin mill now for several months. I like the wedge, however it got a wear mark on the face very fast. Also I am reading these responses about spin and chewing balls. I don't know if I got a dud wedge but I have never been impressed with the spin and have never had a problem chewing up balls. Out of the TM Y cutter wedge, Callaway MD groove the Spin mill spins the least for me. I also have the Taylor Made non y cutter Satin wedge and it spins more then the Spin mill. Anyone else had this experience?

• 4 weeks later...

O my goodness. i have had the same problem with my vokey spin milled 56 14 bounce. I love the feel but i cant spin it for some weird reason. I have only spinned it back twice and i have had it for about a year. I am guessing i am not getting steep enough but if it is the club they lost my business for their wedges for a long time. I am also thinking of getting the Cleveland CG 14. I know this is not about Cleveland wedges ,but are they coming out with a new wedge for 09 or is the cg 14 the one for 09?

Driver: Cobra Bio Cell + Fairway: Titleist 910 FD 3 Hybrid: Titleist 913H 4 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1 Irons: Mizuno MP-68 5-PW Wedges: Titleist SM6 52* 56* and 60* Putter: 2012 Scotty Cameron Newport 2

• 2 months later...

just recently switched to spin milled vokeys from my vokey 200series wedges and let me just say i should of switched when they came out a year or so ago .. i have a 54.10 ,56.10, 60.04 Oil Can finish on all , and i absolutely love the feel ...only downside is if i have a full swing into a green with either of these clubs i almost have to aim about 10-15feet past the pin , i have a very steep attack with my wedges and it causes them to spin like crazy .. i gamed them the other day first time for the winter and i found myself hitting pin tight shots only to see it take the one hop and Ziiip right back about 10 feet , i guess i just need to start trying to hit higher shots .. but all in all Im in love with yet another titleist product 5 stars from me :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was a skeptic and always refused to pay full retail for wedges being able to pick up 588s at cheap prices, but after about 3 rounds with the 60.07...I will not be putting another LW in my bag for awhile. Had X-Tour Vintage w/ MD grooves, but the Vokey is just down right stupid at spinning the ball. Combined with a ProV1, it's dangerous around the green.

ย 

I had a shot bout 35 yards from green with a bunker in between. I hit it a little bit more than I wanted to and flew the green...expecting to be in trouble behind the green. It hit, 1 bounced, backed up about a foot!

• 1 month later...

I have recently added the 54-08 and 60-07 to my bag and vokey wedges are staying in my bag. It is not the spin that I like so much as the grind - the width of sole, camber, and bounce combination are exactly what I like. The choice of grind with the vokeys is the reason I gave them a 5.

ย 

Edit: eat my words. The 54-08 and the 60-07 are out of the bag and sm 52-08 and 58-08 are in. There was too big a gap between my PW (mizzy 47*) and the 54, so I shifted down 2*. I didn't realize the 58-08 was a different grind, but I switched to using the 54 as a SW to using the 58 and letting the 52 be a pure gap wedge. All works just right now.

ย 

I do have to admit I'm finding they do chew up the balls a bit - the TM Reds don't last a round with them.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Just got a 52 degree SM Black Nickel & love the feel & control I get from it. I like it so well I just ordered the 58 degree as I just left the Cleveland G15 Black Pearl. The reason was I didn't like the muted feel as oh yea the insert works but wedges are like putters & I want to feel the ball come off the face so that is also why I own a SC Newport 2.6 as Titelist makes some of the best wedges & putters.

ย 

Driver: Cobra ย 50th Anniversary Editionย Aerojetย 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4ย 

3W:ย Callaway ย Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5 ย 

5/7W:ย Callawayย Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:ย ย Titleistย T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:ย ย Clevelandย RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter: ย ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft ย w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate)ย ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

ย 

ย 

• 2 months later...

did they bring the soft feel back in 2009 model? when i picked up mine year or two ago, i thought it was a bit more harsh than the non-sm vokey wedges that i was replacing but i couldn't deny the performance in anyway

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

• 1 year later...

had the satin and tour chrome, now black nickle and love the feel! best wedges hands down.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...