AMG video on : setting the record straight on our golf swing analysis

1 minute ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Totally.

My point is dismissing an idea backed by data and success just because you don’t like it is a poor intellectual position.  Especially when people who are interested want to discuss it.

Data can be used in an effort to support almost any theory in the golf swing and when all else fails “feel isn’t real”.

Data is great. Using data to support a theory doesn’t mean the theory is correct or incorrect. When teachers on both sides agree on nearly all of the data yet have nearly opposite approaches on some things while both claim success, it is fair to have discussion

4 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Totally.

My point is dismissing an idea backed by data and success just because you don’t like it is a poor intellectual position.  Especially when people who are interested want to discuss it.

Fair enough, but I honestly don't think there are many new ideas. I deeply suspicious of new ideas.

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

6 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Not new ways of doing things.  New ideas on how to do what good players have been doing for 150 years.  We are just discovering what good players actually do in the last 10.  My example of the amm data on lead wrist from p6-p8.  We’ve lived with hold angles for 60 years.  

Ok, if you mean "deeper understanding," I would agree with that.

New sexy swing theories have cost many-a-tour-card.

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

55 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

The point of the video is that one guy is a generational driver of the ball who can hit a draw or fade on command. The other is a generational talent who was struggling with the big stick and wanting the ball to do things it didn't want to do with his current motion. Like I said, the more general you want to be, the more you can say all pros do the same things. But just because something doesn't come screaming off the tape to the amateur observer doesn't mean it's not a very big difference. Lets start with the hands and club. There are massive differences between the two in wrist angles, club face management, arm depth in both the backswing and downswing, arm height in both the backswing and downswing.  Rory adducts his lead arm a lot more and earlier than Cam who keeps his arms more in front of his shoulders than Rory. Cam has the lower rate of closure hold and turn release while Rory has more of the tradition full snap release. Rory has more vertical force leg and hip extension through the shot while Cam has what AMG calls "saggy leg syndrome" How a player moves through the ball is greatly influenced by the club face and these two couldn't be more different.

I'm not saying there aren't some things pros do similarly. I'm saying that it's very much worth discussing what they don't do similarly. 

I get what you’re saying with all those body parts, different motions - but would you agree that, even those relative differences become more of ‘within range’ similarities when we compare their swings with the ‘normal weekend warrior’ that we see on ranges across the globe?

We’re probably in the 1% of 1%; golf swing junkies that like to discuss about the amount of trail forearm pronation happening in the latter part of the downswing, in milliseconds… and it’s ok to have those discussions if they can help us moving forward…

Personally, I’m just taking what AMG (if you believe they’re diligent in their process) or any other trusted system that would offer objective, data driven info, to try and figure out if I’m way out of an acceptable range, and if so what is the root cause - and the ripple effects of trying to correct that

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MPStrat said:

That is an extremely attractive statement for consumers to hear, so I get why it’s said by those who are selling their services. 

And then in the real world we can pull back the veil of undisclosed tour player avatar and take a guy like Rory and compare what he does to Cam Smith and we see some fairly huge differences. Or Brooks Koepka and Phil Mickelson. Or Rickie Fowler and Tony Finau. These can be listed all day long. Sure they have some similarities, but they have a lot of pretty notable differences. I think it’s important discuss these differences and why they do what they do along with our opinions on the positives and negatives instead of saying “95% of the best players in the world do all the same things within a pretty small deviation”  That’s just an internet talking point. 

When I look to improve anywhere in life, be it my career or my hobbies, I always look at what the best are doing, and what the commonalities are among the best.  It's no coincidence that the best in any vertical in life, all share similarities between each other.  It's a talking point because it's a pretty proven recipe for success in anything you look do.  Once you get to a point where you have factual data that can be proven, the rest is just people trying to tell you the sky is purple.   All the guys you mentioned are more alike than different, their swings look different, but they're all doing very similar movements to get back to the ball. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

36 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

Ok, if you mean "deeper understanding," I would agree with that.

New sexy swing theories have cost many-a-tour-card.

We agree

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

6 minutes ago, Varry_Hardon said:

I get what you’re saying with all those body parts, different motions - but would you agree that, even those relative differences become more of ‘within range’ similarities when we compare their swings with the ‘normal weekend warrior’ that we see on ranges across the globe?

We’re probably in the 1% of 1%; golf swing junkies that like to discuss about the amount of trail forearm pronation happening in the latter part of the downswing, in milliseconds… and it’s ok to have those discussions if they can help us moving forward…

Personally, I’m just taking what AMG (if you believe they’re diligent in their process) or any other trusted system that would offer objective, data driven info, to try and figure out if I’m way out of an acceptable range, and if so what is the root cause - and the ripple effects of trying to correct that

I wouldn’t disagree with anything you said. But that is very different from someone making the claim that 95% of pros do all the same things. Also I don’t assume anything AMG says is true just because they use data.  Especially with how deceptive their marketing is. 

6 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

When I look to improve anywhere in life, be it my career or my hobbies, I always look at what the best are doing, and what the commonalities are among the best.  It's no coincidence that the best in any vertical in life, all share similarities between each other.  It's a talking point because it's a pretty proven recipe for success in anything you look do.  Once you get to a point where you have factual data that can be proven, the rest is just people trying to tell you the sky is purple.   All the guys you mentioned are more alike than different, their swings look different, but they're all doing very similar movements to get back to the ball. 

I understand that thought process on success. There are similarities in pro swings.  The statement that 95% of tour pros do all of the same things is literally like claiming that the sky is purple. Rory and Cam Smith are doing some very different things to get back to the ball. It’s good to discuss those things. 

I had the best stretch of golf 5-6 years ago that lasted a good year or two, my sort of Tiger 2000 era. Believe it or not but I used the leave the arms and pivot with my driver, actually I felt my arms go against my chest in the transition move. Pretty much couldn't miss a fairway, my path and face control was off the charts. However, I was better with my irons swinging my arms ala Tiger 2000 so that is what I did when hitting irons and it was point and shoot at flags. Was basically using both methods/feels.

I'm open anything that helps my game whether it's Milo/GG type method or more arm driven camp, appreciate both sides of instruction. All that matters at the end of the day is if you are hitting the ball better.

Edited by MK7Golf21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched the video and I thought it was an overall good video and bit more a of an advertisement for gears than anything. I think it wasn’t warranted and it wasn’t in good taste to single out an individual from our forum for what some people would conclude would be reasonable thoughts doesn’t mean they are correct but at least had some reasonable logic behind them. If AMG is lurking on here a simple DM discussion would have been classier imo. 

Markerless technology is going to be the way of the future for the masses because a couple degrees off here or there isn’t enough for the data to be thrown out for the average player imo. 

There was thing that stood out to me as odd…how do you do 200-300 online lessons a year and trash 2d line drawing teachers or online swing geeks that don’t agree with everything you say. If you say that’s not an accurate way to diagnose what’s really going on…how do you legitimately take someone’s money for a online lesson especially when they aren’t “cheap”? I guess you can say well since you can’t come and see us, we will give you our best guess. Just seems a bit off putting to do that after going so “hard” on the 2d guys knowing you analysis will most likely be wrong by your own logic. 

Maybe I’ll be a star of one of their future videos😂

Edited by airjammer
Proof reading is hard
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

My initial instinct was to hard disagree, but honestly it's a detailed enough topic to warrant exploring because it would be easy to craft arguments on both sides of this that appear valid. 

IMO the bottom line is that as it relates to *core* fundamentals there are FAR more similarities than differences, especially as it relates to what matters to all of us which is what the average player does wrong and/or does not correctly understand. You could avatar-ise the entire top 150 players on tour in Gears and you'd get a host of superficial differences and a very defined set of foundational similarities, and among THOSE the differences would primarily exist in degrees/severity. And if we are going to generalize IMO it is FAR more valuable for the average player to hear and understand that the underlying fundamentals are mostly the same (because they are) if for no other reason than to pull people as far away as possible from the concept of "swing your swing" and it's almost inevitable conclusion of "my swing is fine, I just need to practice more". Most people's swings are terrible on average + they virtually never make the same fundamental moves as the pros. That person doesn't need to hear about all the superficial differences that ultimately don't matter all that much and that you could fill a dumpster with, they need the core fundamentals which you could fit inside a medium sized Amazon box (I just took the trash out incase that wasn't obvious) 😆

I am definitely not a “swing your swing” guy. Amateurs should know that there are things that can make it harder to hit the ball solid and straight with speed. 

I think you and I would probably mostly agree on a list of things that the average amateur does wrong and does not understand. That is not the same as saying 95% of pros all do the same things. 

Based on your post, where I might disagree with you is when something crosses into superficial territory. If a movement can change the ball flight or impact conditions drastically, I don’t think it’s superficial. I think it’s valuable to know why Rory Mcilroy makes a notably different move through the ball compared to Brooks Koepka. Why Brooks Koepka might not want to draw the ball with his move. Why Rory’s release looks a lot different from Brooks and that neither is right or wrong but that they are different and why they are different. 

Just because an average golfer might not understand it or need to know about anything more than their own swing, doesn’t make it correct to say pros are all doing the same thing.

23 minutes ago, airjammer said:

Just watched the video and I thought it was an overall good video and bit more a of an advertisement for gears than anything. I think it wasn’t warranted and it wasn’t in good taste to single out an individual from our forum for what some people would conclude would be reasonable thoughts doesn’t mean they are correct but at least had some reasonable logic behind them. If AMG is lurking on here a simple DM discussion would have been classier imo. 

Markerless technology is going to be the way of the future for the masses because a couple degrees off here or there isn’t enough for the data to be thrown out for the average player imo. 

There was thing that stood out to me as odd…how do you do 200-300 online lessons a year and trash 2d line drawing teachers or online swing geeks that don’t agree with everything you say. If you say that’s not an accurate way to diagnose what’s really going on…how do you legitimately take someone’s money for a online lesson especially when they aren’t “cheap”? I guess you can say well since you can’t come and see us, we will give you our best guess. Just seems a bit off putting to do that after going so “hard” on the 2d guys knowing you analysis will most likely be wrong by your own logic. 

Maybe I’ll be a star of one of their future videos😂

Mike and the founder of GEARS weren't saying 2D is trash. They were pointing out that trying to disprove things measured in 3D with 2D analysis is inherently flawed, it literally can't be more accurate. 

2D video analysis still has loads of benefit and like they said their 3D experience helps them better identify things they see in 2D aka what they look like.

Edited by JayMas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JayMas said:

Mike and the founder of GEARS weren't saying 2D is trash. They were pointing out that trying to disprove things measures in 3D with 2D analysis is inherently flawed, it literally can't be more accurate. 

2D video analysis still has loads of benefit and like they said their 3D experience helps them better identify things they see in 2D aka what they look like.

Bingo.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

I mean, they quoted and replied to things that "disagree" with them. And if you thought Michael Neff was going to disagree with them… well… I don't think there's any chance that's what you thought was in this video. So I think the number of people who thought that this was "the complete opposite" is small.

Ya you’re right, they were very brave to hand pick questions that disagreed with them. 

They literally titled the video: “He has big problems with our videos” Trigger warning: setting the record straight

The truth was that he doesn’t have any problems with their videos. The whole thing was false clickbait. This isn’t the first time they’ve done that either.

Sorry you didn’t like hugely. I stand by what I said. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPStrat said:

Ya you’re right, they were very brave to hand pick questions that disagreed with them. 

They literally titled the video: “He has big problems with our videos” Trigger warning: setting the record straight

The truth was that he doesn’t have any problems with their videos. The whole thing was false clickbait. This isn’t the first time they’ve done that either.

The "he" was the poster on here, I knew that going into it. I do get their emails though which had some more context. I guess I could see being confused by the thumbnail alone.

1 minute ago, JayMas said:

The "he" was the poster on here, I knew that going into it. I do get their emails though which had some more context. I guess I could see being confused by the thumbnail alone.

This is what I saw:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzAa-HStPRF/?igshid=YjVjNjZkNmFjNg==

They intentionally edited it that way

3 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

This is what I saw:

Yeah, I saw that too. I took it as them having fun to to rile people up/troll people that come at them all the time. Like "whoa the owner of GEARS is getting em!"

But again, I had the email too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

Where exactly did I say they were "very brave"?

13 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

And you assumed the "he" was Michael Neff?

Uhhhh…

3 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

This is what I saw:

The comment in question is right at the bottom of the IG post, and since you likely know who Michael Neff is and what he's done, it's silly to think you think HE was the one saying that stuff.

6 minutes ago, JayMas said:

The "he" was the poster on here

Yup.

• Like 1

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

How do you figure? They can be attacked but can't respond? That's all this video is: a response which opens the books some on how they analyze, assess, coach/teach, use the technology, etc.

Nailed it.

🤣

I mean, they quoted and replied to things that "disagree" with them. And if you thought Michael Neff was going to disagree with them… well… I don't think there's any chance that's what you thought was in this video. So I think the number of people who thought that this was "the complete opposite" is small.

Have you met and/or worked with any of the people involved? Mike and Sean do not have an ego here, certainly not in this video. It's laughable that a one-hour video with two guys talking and no actual golf tips is seen — by you — as "clickbait" and "marketing" and "ego."

It's about the farthest thing from those things that you could really make. It's a discussion. It's you grasping at straws to continue to bash people. People who have done a thousand times more in golf (or more) than you've done. And yet they have the egos? Again: 🤣.

I'll use the 🤣 emoji again but not for the same reason as @MPStrat gets it.

I generally agree with that.

/me nods.

Ams have much, much larger differences generally than "Cam vs. Rory." I disagree with you on "huge" differences. Your dictionary must have an odd definition of "huge" than most other people's.

I've watched guys try to teach an average. If the average with a 7I is 4.5 down, and someone comes to me at 3° down… we rarely discuss it. Because 3° is well within the middle range of Tour players. You can hit really good 7Is at 3° down.

Yep. Well outside.

You wouldn't believe how many ams I capture on GEARS who turn their hips > 50°. Yet the number of Tour players in the GEARS database who do so? Pretty, pretty small.

I've got a scientific background, and I've pointed out that "Eureka!" moments rarely happen after a hypothesis is shown to be correct. They come after "oh, crap, what was THAT?" moments.

If someone can show me that I'm wrong and explain why, that's 10x better than someone saying "I think you're right." Being shown you're wrong is great to a scientist because it presents what I call an "instant opportunity to upgrade your knowledge."

@Brian Manzella will point out that it's not a sign of weakness, in fact it's the opposite, to have things to admit that you're wrong about things. It shows growth. I don't keep a list of things I was wrong about and later adapted and changed and grew, but I could make one if I thought about it over a few days.

The two words (out of 10 or 12) "Hands in" are near the top of the list. 🙂

Indeed.

Bingo.

I used to start the first part of a GEARS lesson with certain people by letting the people explore whatever they want from the mountain of data available. It was a fun little geek-out session, but I don't anymore… with anyone, because you have to focus on the priority items. Just like a normal lesson. GEARS just lets them know whether they made a change (or not). And compare them directly to their swing, or a swing whose "piece" is similar to the one they're trying to change.

Why? @golfarb1 gets to make a public comment, but they have to DM him? This kind of stuff makes no sense to me. He posted a public comment. They showed a screenshot. They didn't take pot shots at him; they simply replied to what he had to say. In the same style (publicly) that he did. He didn't DM them with his (largely misinformed) post. Why should they?

I don't think anyone disagrees. It's faster, cheaper, easier. But it's not nearly as accurate.

I have a GEARS. I still also teach with a camera, and have students getting better at golf with online instruction.

When you use 3D, you can more easily understand what things can deceive you in 2D. Just as above with marker less systems being faster, easier, cheaper, so too is video, except it's even faster, easier, and cheaper.

Having a GEARS makes you better at "2D instruction" because you know what things will look like.

You're grasping at straws here. If someone can't get on GEARS, they shouldn't teach them at all? Is that what you're suggesting? I don't think so, because that'd be a silly position to take.

The whole video theme was pretty much if you aren’t using 3d data then it’s not a good as 3d data which I agree with. Also another theme is that if you aren’t using 3d data you can be tricked into thinking something like side bend is actually front bend. So yeah I don’t think you should do online lessons given that stance especially if you are going to claim a couple degrees makes all the difference in the world. 

It seems like a lot of teachers goal is to get things in a “manageable” position…unless you have do a physical assessment on the individual you have no way of knowing what is or isn’t manageable for someone in my opinion. 

in the end this is just advertisement as always because there isn’t any actual getting drastically better from YouTube videos…ask Tiger. Even with 3d data on your swing..there are probably less at 10,000 in the world that could use it to make their own swing better because even seasoned teachers are just guessing on what to change to make a student actually better especially when there aren’t any glaring anomalies. Former tour pros turned teachers aren’t turning themselves into PGA tour players with their own 3d knowledge. 

In the end nobody knows exactly what makes Cam’s swing work the best for him or why Rory’s works best for him…they are just freaks. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

After you put out a video in which you basically as get into a “good” position at the top and then lower your arms to your trail side and then rotate your hips to get the arms to the ball…which I’m not saying is wrong necessarily…but everything has to be clickbait because you just gave away your entire golf swing theory😂 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, airjammer said:

The whole video theme was pretty much if you aren’t using 3d data then it’s not a good as 3d data which I agree with. Also another theme is that if you aren’t using 3d data you can be tricked into thinking something like side bend is actually front bend. So yeah I don’t think you should do online lessons given that stance especially if you are going to claim a couple degrees makes all the difference in the world.

Nah. Here's why:

55 minutes ago, JayMas said:

Mike and the founder of GEARS weren't saying 2D is trash. They were pointing out that trying to disprove things measured in 3D with 2D analysis is inherently flawed, it literally can't be more accurate. 

Moving on…

It seems like a lot of teachers goal is to get things in a “manageable” position…unless you have do a physical assessment on the individual you have no way of knowing what is or isn’t manageable for someone in my opinion.

Most people don't/shouldn't get anywhere near the end of what's "manageable" for the bulk of what's required in a golf swing. My left knee can move a lot; doesn't mean I want to use even 30% of its range of motion in the golf swing.

in the end this is just advertisement as always because there isn’t any actual getting drastically better from YouTube videos…

This seems to assume the goal of every YouTube video (on golf) is to get "drastically better."

I've had students go from beginners to breaking 90 and 80 taught strictly online. Is that "drastically better"? Oh, and they get my videos via YouTube. 😉 

… because even seasoned teachers are just guessing on what to change to make a student actually better

Wow, dude. No. Emphatically.

3 minutes ago, airjammer said:

After you put out a video in which you basically as get into a “good” position at the top and then lower your arms to your trail side and then rotate your hips to get the arms to the ball…which I’m not saying is wrong necessarily…but everything has to be clickbait because you just gave away your entire golf swing theory😂 

Gotta pay for the new building somehow