2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Proxima Shaft- AutoFlex and Ventus TR competitor

My2Dogs

So I received a message from one of the folks that used to work at AutoFlex in S. Korea.  He has moved to a new company called Proxima Golf.  They are coming out with a new shaft that’s supposed to be a direct competitor to AutoFlex and to my surprise Ventus TR.  Here is some marketing they have:

“Precision crafted in Korea for Peak performance.
It features SSC (Straight Support Core) Technology for exceptional control and consistency.
MA ( Multi Angle ) Technology from the tip to 13 inches up to butt provides longer distance and straighter with less dispersion.
It is the most important technology in the golf shaft to produce the shafts lighter but low in Torque and high CPM.
Proxima's technology made it happen.“

Here is their website:  

Matt Blois is testing it currently and he uploaded this video on Instagram and he had his personal best ball speed numbers with this new shaft.

I’ve got one coming in an 6X and I should have it sometimes early next week.  However I will have to get it cut, adapter added and grip put on.  I’m going to add a Callaway adapter so I can test it vs the AutoFlex SF505XX, Ventus TR Blue 6X, Ventus TR Black 6X and FreeFlex shaft.  Hoping to be able to test it the weekend of Dec 2nd/3rd.  Don’t know much about it except what they have on their page and the Matt Blois video.  

looks promising and the price point is lower than the AutoFlex.  
  • Like 4

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Looked at the site and didn't see a price point.  OP, are you tipping yours?  Also, I have a Paradym TD like you so I'm really looking forward to your review. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

Looked at the site and didn't see a price point.  OP, are you tipping yours?  Also, I have a Paradym TD like you so I'm really looking forward to your review. 

What I was told is that it’s just like a normal, conventional shaft with Torque, CPM and Flex.  It’s just a bit lighter and has a proprietary weave or something like that to assist with the better distance. 

I was told I can tip it if needed but just like the Ventus TR Black 6X I have, I don’t think I will tip it.  Recommend tipping up to 1 inch on a fairway but it’s not needed on a driver.  Going to play it the same length as my AutoFlex and Ventus TR- 46 inches.   They also told me that I don’t need to have a crazy light swing weight like with AutoFlex and FreeFlex. You can play it the same swing weight as the Ventus.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

I received a notice from DHL that the shaft was going to arrive tonight instead of tomorrow and the driver just dropped off this beauty.

first impressions are that it looks very professional.  A very dark matte black and a graphic around the shaft twice.  Tried to waggle it a bit and it’s def not like the AutoFlex or FreeFlex.  Solid just like the Ventus TR I play.  

The shaft feels very light.  Now usually I don’t handle brand new shafts as I’ll usually get them with an adapter or grip already on so the weight is heavier.  However I have a new Ventus Red 6X and the Proxima seems to feel lighter.  Could be me as I’m excited about getting the shaft.  

I’m going to take it to GG tomorrow or Wed to get the adapter, grip and cut to length.  Supposed to go play Sunday and then I can post some info on how it plays, feels, etc.

here are some photos of the shaft.  

IMG_3858.jpeg

IMG_3859.jpeg

IMG_3860.jpeg

Edited by My2Dogs
  • Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

• 2 weeks later...

A little update. Have not been able to swing the shaft yet.  I have an injury and so I won’t be able to play for about 4-5 weeks.  Hoping to get out around the first of the year.  

PXG Hybrid stand bag

• 1 month later...

Got fitted into the Proxima Driver shaft late last year at a very reputable (Golf digest top 50) fitter.

Background: 

+2 handicap, driver SS around 110mph.

Have always played with a 70 gram range X-stiff shaft in my driver. For the longest time, I was using the Diamana ltd white 7x.

Transitioned into the Kai'li white 60x last year with my Paradym TD driver and had good results with the club. 

With age creeping in and not being able to practice as much in recent times, I went for a fitting to find a shaft which would do more work for me. 

Fitting:

Honestly went into the fitting thinking i'd be fit into something like a ventus blue 6x, or ventus red 6x, or something less boardy than the Kai'li white. to be.

Kept an open mind during the fitting and tried everything given to me. Ended up getting fitted into Proxima 5S. Could not have guessed a 5S shaft in my bag in a million years. 

Feel: 

Light (of course!), but not too whippy when you waggle. Feel super smooth when you swing it, with it loading a little closer to the mid section.

At impact, it is a firm crack. The tip section has a very nice firm kick to it.

Results:

My initial assumptions when i was first given the shaft that it would would accentuate my left miss was totally blown away. 

Nice small fade (5-10y) on every shot. Even on shots where I felt a toe-strike, expecting to see a low, toe-draw resulted in a very nice straight shot that was a 1-5y draw.

Ball speed up by at least 5-8 mph on average. I have a GC Hawk setup at home where i hit balls pretty often. 

Swing speed up by about 3-5mph, topped at 116 mph on my hawk on one strike which carried 301 (tight draw onto the green) (but this one i was really trying to push the limits to see what the shaft was capable of).

Carry distance has increased by 10 - 15yards. Used to carry 275 with a good strike (Paradym TD, Kai'li white 6x). Now a good strike carries 290++.

Ball speed used to be averaging 156-160, now averaging 165, topping at 169.

Dispersion with a gamer swing is very predictable and tight

Dispersion with me trying to absolutely rip one is pretty similar to what i used to have with the Kai'li white.

CONS: 

Given that it is a 5S, i had to adjust loft down to 8* from my stock 9*. 

Low contact on clubface kicks spin up to close to 2900, but very stable ball flight., still carrying 270+.

Post - Fitting:

Did not test the 5X, but read reviews from Korea where players compared 5X to 5S and indicated 5X is much straighter and penetrating ball flight. 

I did not test 5X as the feel at impact with the 5S was super similar to a Ventus Blue TR, which is about as "stiff/boardy" as i wanted my new shaft

Played 2 rounds so far since getting the new shaft. Definitely see a huge jump in distance.

There is Par 5 which I always leave myself 220 - 240 in after my drive. Both times i've played since, I have left myself 190(pured) & 205(low heel fade) into the green. 

There is a Par 4 where a fairway bunker guards half of the fairway about 265 from the tee. Used to be able to carry the bunker on a really good strike, have carried the bunker easily on both occasions.

Slowly getting used to the shaft, and can control a draw / fade with the shaft now. 

Callaway Paradym TD 9*, Proxima 5S

Callaway Paradym 3W, Accra iF7 M3

Callaway Paradym 3H, Accra iS8

Cobra King Tour, 4-PW, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 115x

Taylormade MG2 50* 54*, KBS610 125S+

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60*, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

9 hours ago, Myunghs18 said:

Got fitted into the Proxima Driver shaft late last year at a very reputable (Golf digest top 50) fitter.

Background: 

+2 handicap, driver SS around 110mph.

Have always played with a 70 gram range X-stiff shaft in my driver. For the longest time, I was using the Diamana ltd white 7x.

Transitioned into the Kai'li white 60x last year with my Paradym TD driver and had good results with the club. 

With age creeping in and not being able to practice as much in recent times, I went for a fitting to find a shaft which would do more work for me. 

Fitting:

Honestly went into the fitting thinking i'd be fit into something like a ventus blue 6x, or ventus red 6x, or something less boardy than the Kai'li white. to be.

Kept an open mind during the fitting and tried everything given to me. Ended up getting fitted into Proxima 5S. Could not have guessed a 5S shaft in my bag in a million years. 

Feel: 

Light (of course!), but not too whippy when you waggle. Feel super smooth when you swing it, with it loading a little closer to the mid section.

At impact, it is a firm crack. The tip section has a very nice firm kick to it.

Results:

My initial assumptions when i was first given the shaft that it would would accentuate my left miss was totally blown away. 

Nice small fade (5-10y) on every shot. Even on shots where I felt a toe-strike, expecting to see a low, toe-draw resulted in a very nice straight shot that was a 1-5y draw.

Ball speed up by at least 5-8 mph on average. I have a GC Hawk setup at home where i hit balls pretty often. 

Swing speed up by about 3-5mph, topped at 116 mph on my hawk on one strike which carried 301 (tight draw onto the green) (but this one i was really trying to push the limits to see what the shaft was capable of).

Carry distance has increased by 10 - 15yards. Used to carry 275 with a good strike (Paradym TD, Kai'li white 6x). Now a good strike carries 290++.

Ball speed used to be averaging 156-160, now averaging 165, topping at 169.

Dispersion with a gamer swing is very predictable and tight

Dispersion with me trying to absolutely rip one is pretty similar to what i used to have with the Kai'li white.

CONS: 

Given that it is a 5S, i had to adjust loft down to 8* from my stock 9*. 

Low contact on clubface kicks spin up to close to 2900, but very stable ball flight., still carrying 270+.

Post - Fitting:

Did not test the 5X, but read reviews from Korea where players compared 5X to 5S and indicated 5X is much straighter and penetrating ball flight. 

I did not test 5X as the feel at impact with the 5S was super similar to a Ventus Blue TR, which is about as "stiff/boardy" as i wanted my new shaft

Played 2 rounds so far since getting the new shaft. Definitely see a huge jump in distance.

There is Par 5 which I always leave myself 220 - 240 in after my drive. Both times i've played since, I have left myself 190(pured) & 205(low heel fade) into the green. 

There is a Par 4 where a fairway bunker guards half of the fairway about 265 from the tee. Used to be able to carry the bunker on a really good strike, have carried the bunker easily on both occasions.

Slowly getting used to the shaft, and can control a draw / fade with the shaft now. 

So I’m finally ready to play and test the shaft.  Reading your results has me super pumped.   Going to play and swing for the first time since early Dec.   

Really interested after reading that your ball speed and swing speed went up.  That is exactly what Matt was seeing in his testing.   Also the rep told me that I would be seeing faster speeds across the board but I told him I have to see it to believe it.  

I won’t be able to go after it as I’m recovery from a surgery and my swing and tempo will be wayyy off and much slower than normal.  I have the 6X in this shaft as they wanted to to fit me as close to the Ventus TR Black 6X that I normally play.

I’ll post my findings and results after Sat.

PXG Hybrid stand bag

10 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

So I’m finally ready to play and test the shaft.  Reading your results has me super pumped.   Going to play and swing for the first time since early Dec.   

Really interested after reading that your ball speed and swing speed went up.  That is exactly what Matt was seeing in his testing.   Also the rep told me that I would be seeing faster speeds across the board but I told him I have to see it to believe it.  

I won’t be able to go after it as I’m recovery from a surgery and my swing and tempo will be wayyy off and much slower than normal.  I have the 6X in this shaft as they wanted to to fit me as close to the Ventus TR Black 6X that I normally play.

Very curious to hear the results. My wallet says I hope it isn't any better. But my golfer mind can't wait to hear how much better it is.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

17 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

Best of luck!

I went from Kai’li white 6X which is 69 grams to 5S which is 56 grams so I probably picked up more speed due to that. 

I had to spend a couple sessions to get used to the load and kick before I started getting the results I see now.

Callaway Paradym TD 9*, Proxima 5S

Callaway Paradym 3W, Accra iF7 M3

Callaway Paradym 3H, Accra iS8

Cobra King Tour, 4-PW, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 115x

Taylormade MG2 50* 54*, KBS610 125S+

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60*, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

9 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

Very curious to hear the results. My wallet says I hope it isn't any better. But my golfer mind can't wait to hear how much better it is.

You are a True WRX’er😂

I’m hoping within a few weeks that I can start to gain some speed back.  Had kidney surgery again so my swing is all messed up. I tried a couple pitch shots the other day and I started hitting the “Sh*nks”.  Scared the hell out of me.  Couldn’t feel the club or anything in the swing.  Going to be a journey to get back to normal but I’m ready for it! 

• Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

The shaft graphics look like a shaft you would find at a liquidation place in the mid-late 90s.  I kind of dig it.

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

12 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

You are a True WRX’er😂

I’m hoping within a few weeks that I can start to gain some speed back.  Had kidney surgery again so my swing is all messed up. I tried a couple pitch shots the other day and I started hitting the “Sh*nks”.  Scared the hell out of me.  Couldn’t feel the club or anything in the swing.  Going to be a journey to get back to normal but I’m ready for it! 

Good luck to you in getting your health back to normal as well as your swing.

So I went out and had my first round with the Proxima 6X shaft.  

I have to say it was a great driving round.  11-14 fairways hit.  Shaft felt smooth and feels like it loaded at the top.  Very easy to swing.  It gives a little kick coming down from the top.  

My iron and wedge play today was absolutely horrible.  Never felt comfortable over the ball with the wedges or irons.

It’s very wet and muddy and every tee shot either stayed in a muddy pitch mark or just popped out a foot away.  Heavy air and around 55* (warmest it’s been in over a week).  Carry distance was good for not only the conditions but also for my first round back from surgery.  My friends are usually around 240-250 off the tee and I’m around 20-40 yards past them, depending on how well  strike the ball.  Today I was always 40-60 yards ahead of them.  I was carrying it around 265-280 today, even in the muddy and heavy air.  Lots of 300-320 yard par 4’s that I was within 30-50 yards of.  Again with no roll.  I felt like I could point and shoot and was either dead straight or playing a little baby draw.  On some holes I drove it to places where I am in the Spring.  I am very surprised on how well I hit the ball with the driver and how easy it felt.  Especially with how bad I hit my irons and wedges.  Lots of fat chip and full wedge shots and lots of fat irons shots.  Even off the tee.  

I’m really impressed with the Proxima.  It felt as easy to swing as the AutoFlex but of course it’s much stiffer but my back feels as good as it does after a round with the AutoFlex.  I cannot wait to hit/play again and hit some bombs (well for me).

• Like 2

PXG Hybrid stand bag

• 3 weeks later...

First let me just say I am an engineer and am very detailed oriented and usually do not put stuff out mid-stroke - meaning that I have not fully investigated something.

A bit about me for starters.  I do not have a 273mph swing with my lob wedge - more like mid 90s. My current driver setups are:

1) Titlesit TSr2 10º - Ventus Blue 6S with -2g headweight

2) Titlesit TSr2 9º - Ventus Blue 5S with std headweight

I have been all over the map with the driver playing around with my setup. I also have PXG Gen5 and Gen6 drivers. I have tested a bunch of shafts - Kaili Red, Blue and White. Graphite Design Tour AD DI, IZ, MJ, MT, GT... Tensei Blue, and a bunch of others. I also have a GC Quad based simulator

So right now I am trying to test the Proxima 5S vs the two Ventus setups above 1 & 2.

I played 2 rounds last weekend with the following setups:

#1 - TSr2 9º Proxima 5S std headweight

#2 - TSr2 10º Ventus Blue 6S

The two rounds were very different. Course 1 was a bit longer and totally soaked.

I started with #2 and hit an OK drive, but on the second hole I hit the Proxima and hit a semi-marginal strike, but noticed how little sidespin I got. As I continued hitting it, I was liking it more and more.  Seemed like my clubhead speed was a touch higher and the shots were all in play - no matter where the strike was on the face. I hit a couple of really nice ones and was flying high.

Of course whenever I hit something that was not perfect, I was tempted to adjust the adapter sleeve. I just did 2 B1 and C4. B1 is std loft and flat, C4 is flat and 0.75º up. I should not have taken this to the course without time on teh simulator to verify the setups - but in my defense I know that the simulator and the course results often vary.

I ended day one feeling very good about the consistency of the Proxima shaft. The guy I was playing with was commenting all day at how well I was hitting the combo.

Day 2 comes around and I hit #1 "OK" but I was not feeling it. So I grab setup #2 and start striping the ball. I hit less drivers with the Proxima on day 2. What are my impressions of the two shafts after the first 2 rounds?

This is kind of tough, but let me start with the Ventus 6S - the thing that comes to mind is consistency. I have always liked a blue profile. This shaft may not be the longest, but it stays in the bag. It is really consistent and it does well with my miss - the low left toe ball.

The Proxima is not totally known at this point. My best shots with it were when I was not pushing it. This shaft seemed to produce some of the best results I have seen with perimeter hits - be they low, low left and high toe. Same driver as with the Ventus Blue 5S and the shots seem to not spin much side to side and they still carry a decent amount even with marginal strikes.

On good strikes the shots were amazing.

What do I want to test?

1. Define what I do with the 5S on the simulator
  2. Experiment with the Proxima and the 9º head
  3. Experiment with the Proxima and the 10º head
    • Figure out best headweight and adapter setting for both heads
    • Determine a final best setting to take to the course

Once I figure out best setup for both heads with the proxima, I will take it back to the course and see what it can do. I will try not to bail to the Ventus as well (on the course). This should be a fun test to figure out exactly what this shaft can do in my hands.

• Like 3

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

Many THANKS to @My2Dogs, I look forward to reviewing the Proxima 5X shaft. Been eyeing these latest Autoflex, Freeflex and ACCRA "whippy" type shafts for a while but somehow I just kept with the standard lines of shafts from Fujikura and Graphite Design. So this is very, very curious to me to have a Proxima shaft in my hands 

Until yesterday, its been downright wet and windy with the Pineapple Express hitting all of the West Coast and dumping a TON of rain. It was pretty bad here with the Los Angeles courses were closed for nearly a week due to the rain damage

For now, we have some sun but another big storm is coming this Saturday. As soon as we have some stable and less cold weather, I plan on doing a more detailed testing with the Proxima versus my gamers using the Full Swing KIT

Heads:

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, configured 1 notch up

NEW Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5*, stock

Shafts:

Fujikura Ventus TR Red Velocore in the 6S

Graphite Design XC-5S

My Swing

For most of this year, its been the Stealth 2+ with the TR Red Velocore combination that is best. On course GPS average (tracked by VoiceCaddie T9)  is around 270, carry is around 250-260. SS is around 100-104 but lately in the cold, its been down to 95. However, on course, I can go for it and push the ball out to 290+ but definitely I know I am a hot/warm weather player

I like to keep the swing weight of my driver heads to around D0 or D1 and use a JumboMax STR8 Tech grip at 86gm. Kinda like counter balanced a bit

I just acquired the AI SMoke Max in the 10.5* that I will throw into the mix

Again, thanks to My2Dogs for this great opportunity to test a very promising shaft and see how it does with my swing 👍

@Avidswampthing66

• Thanks 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Just got mine set up with a Titleist adapter for my TSR2. I currently play and love an Autoflex 505, which has been in my bag for almost 2 years now.

Understated looking shaft with fairly plain graphics, but I'm always out for a few more yards, so interested to see what it can do!

Going to get it out on the course tomorrow.

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

Edited by chocolate_rehab
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

7 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

First let me just say I am an engineer and am very detailed oriented and usually do not put stuff out mid-stroke - meaning that I have not fully investigated something.

A bit about me for starters.  I do not have a 273mph swing with my lob wedge - more like mid 90s. My current driver setups are:

1) Titlesit TSr2 10º - Ventus Blue 6S with -2g headweight

2) Titlesit TSr2 9º - Ventus Blue 5S with std headweight

I have been all over the map with the driver playing around with my setup. I also have PXG Gen5 and Gen6 drivers. I have tested a bunch of shafts - Kaili Red, Blue and White. Graphite Design Tour AD DI, IZ, MJ, MT, GT... Tensei Blue, and a bunch of others. I also have a GC Quad based simulator

So right now I am trying to test the Proxima 5S vs the two Ventus setups above 1 & 2.

I played 2 rounds last weekend with the following setups:

#1 - TSr2 9º Proxima 5S std headweight

#2 - TSr2 10º Ventus Blue 6S

The two rounds were very different. Course 1 was a bit longer and totally soaked.

I started with #2 and hit an OK drive, but on the second hole I hit the Proxima and hit a semi-marginal strike, but noticed how little sidespin I got. As I continued hitting it, I was liking it more and more.  Seemed like my clubhead speed was a touch higher and the shots were all in play - no matter where the strike was on the face. I hit a couple of really nice ones and was flying high.

Of course whenever I hit something that was not perfect, I was tempted to adjust the adapter sleeve. I just did 2 B1 and C4. B1 is std loft and flat, C4 is flat and 0.75º up. I should not have taken this to the course without time on teh simulator to verify the setups - but in my defense I know that the simulator and the course results often vary.

I ended day one feeling very good about the consistency of the Proxima shaft. The guy I was playing with was commenting all day at how well I was hitting the combo.

Day 2 comes around and I hit #1 "OK" but I was not feeling it. So I grab setup #2 and start striping the ball. I hit less drivers with the Proxima on day 2. What are my impressions of the two shafts after the first 2 rounds?

This is kind of tough, but let me start with the Ventus 6S - the thing that comes to mind is consistency. I have always liked a blue profile. This shaft may not be the longest, but it stays in the bag. It is really consistent and it does well with my miss - the low left toe ball.

The Proxima is not totally known at this point. My best shots with it were when I was not pushing it. This shaft seemed to produce some of the best results I have seen with perimeter hits - be they low, low left and high toe. Same driver as with the Ventus Blue 5S and the shots seem to not spin much side to side and they still carry a decent amount even with marginal strikes.

On good strikes the shots were amazing.

What do I want to test?

1. Define what I do with the 5S on the simulator
  2. Experiment with the Proxima and the 9º head
  3. Experiment with the Proxima and the 10º head
    • Figure out best headweight and adapter setting for both heads
    • Determine a final best setting to take to the course

Once I figure out best setup for both heads with the proxima, I will take it back to the course and see what it can do. I will try not to bail to the Ventus as well (on the course). This should be a fun test to figure out exactly what this shaft can do in my hands.

Thanks to @My2Dogs I have a 5s coming as well. Well that is if the unreliable USPS can ever find it and deliver it to me.

Anyway I was curious as to what you are seeing as far as ball flight trajectory? Is it a low kick point shaft or high kick point?

@SwingBlues - glad to see you received one of these as well. Hope your doing well my friend.

@chocolate_rehab - I too have been playing the SF505 for probably 3 years now. Can't wait to hear about the direct comparison between the two.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

Many THANKS to @My2Dogs, I look forward to reviewing the Proxima 5X shaft. Been eyeing these latest Autoflex, Freeflex and ACCRA "whippy" type shafts for a while but somehow I just kept with the standard lines of shafts from Fujikura and Graphite Design. So this is very, very curious to me to have a Proxima shaft in my hands 

Until yesterday, its been downright wet and windy with the Pineapple Express hitting all of the West Coast and dumping a TON of rain. It was pretty bad here with the Los Angeles courses were closed for nearly a week due to the rain damage

For now, we have some sun but another big storm is coming this Saturday. As soon as we have some stable and less cold weather, I plan on doing a more detailed testing with the Proxima versus my gamers using the Full Swing KIT

Heads:

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, configured 1 notch up

NEW Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5*, stock

Shafts:

Fujikura Ventus TR Red Velocore in the 6S

Graphite Design XC-5S

My Swing

For most of this year, its been the Stealth 2+ with the TR Red Velocore combination that is best. On course GPS average (tracked by VoiceCaddie T9)  is around 270, carry is around 250-260. SS is around 100-104 but lately in the cold, its been down to 95. However, on course, I can go for it and push the ball out to 290+ but definitely I know I am a hot/warm weather player

I like to keep the swing weight of my driver heads to around D0 or D1 and use a JumboMax STR8 Tech grip at 86gm. Kinda like counter balanced a bit

I just acquired the AI SMoke Max in the 10.5* that I will throw into the mix

Again, thanks to My2Dogs for this great opportunity to test a very promising shaft and see how it does with my swing 👍

@Avidswampthing66

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Waiting on your Proxima review like...

• Haha 2

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

Pretty interested in this shaft, hope more reviews start popping up.

Titleist TSR2 8° | TPT Power 16 Lo                                   Taylormade Stealth 9° | LinQ Purple F5                              Cobra Radspeed 9° | GD AD DI-6X 
Mizuno TS ST190 15° | GD AD-VR 7X                               Ping G425 Max 14.5° | GD AD-VR 7X                                  Wilson Dynapower 15° | Diamana D+ 70S

Taylormade Sim Ti 19° | LA Golf Trono 75x                      TEE CBX119 19° | Evenflow Black Handcrafted 85 6.0      Mizuno HMB MP20 | UST Recoil F4 95

PXG 0341X Gen4 22° | Speeder Evo2 80x                       Itobori 3-PW | NS Pro Modus 105S                                     Epon SUS316 4-PW | KBS Tour 120S

Proto Concept C01/C03 5-PW | LA Golf L-Series S        Callaway MD5 50-54-56 | TT Gold Spinner                       Vokey SM5 | TT Gold Spinner

Bettinardi HLX3.0 50-54-60 | TT S400                            Swag Handsome Too Glitch | UST All-In                           Scotty Cameron 6M | Stability Carbon / Never Compromise Dinero

Toulon Garage Tour San Diego

Hit the range today.  Still working on the swing but I finally started seeing some progress.

put the Proxima 6X up against my trusted AutoFlex SF505XX.  Couldn’t see how far they went but just looking at ball flight and landing area.  The Proxima really held its own today.  Very repeatable ball flight, I could hit up on it and getting a higher launch or tee it lower and flatten the swing for a more penetrating flight.  What I really like about it is the side spin doesn’t seem to come up on marginal swings.  Nothings going to help the really bad swings.  Back felt really good after hitting both shafts today (around 40 balls).  I warmed up with around 40 balls with my irons and longer irons.

need the weather to get better so I can bring out my Mevo to get solid numbers.  Going to play in an NCGA Qualifier this weekend and I’ll be using the Proxima. 

• Like 3

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Seem to be a number of these types of shafts coming out. Anyone tried the Newton Motion driver shaft? Similar to the Autoflex and/or Proxima? It is drawing interest on the Champions Tour. Hard to distinguish between them but it seems to be a similar product that is more flexible but also stable. Thinking of giving the Proxima or Newton a try. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

This evening, took the Proxima on the AI Smoke head to the Balboa range in Encino, Los Angeles and hung out with some buddies there including one of the best local PRO, Riley

"Here take this for a spin"

"What's this?"

"Proxima. Similar to the Autoflex without requiring silly low swing weighted light heads"

He took 5 shots at the slower speed didn't want to flight it too high with the 10.5 head. Every single one of them went dead straight. Normally plays a G410 9* lofted down to 8* with a TX flex shaft (can't remember the name tonight)

"Now move the ball and feel free to hit it all over the face to test the AI Smoke head"

Fired off another round of shots. High and low fades, high and low draws. Every single one of them straight with a smidgen of flight bias

Then he looked at the face..

2024-02-1617_08.31small.jpg.c0c6c349acb2ea853e7137bb3d50ad02.jpg

"WOW". I tried to hit it all over the face and the ball marks are in the middle

Then he cranked the swing up and tried to hook some balls and ended up hitting high draws that went 10-15 yards left at best. 

Lets say the Proxima definitely impressed Riley but he did ask a pertinent question - "What am I giving up by hitting these shots so straight?"

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 3

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

4 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

This evening, took the Proxima on the AI Smoke head to the Balboa range in Encino, Los Angeles and hung out with some buddies there including one of the best local PRO, Riley

"Here take this for a spin"

"What's this?"

"Proxima. Similar to the Autoflex without requiring silly low swing weighted light heads"

He took 5 shots at the slower speed didn't want to flight it too high with the 10.5 head. Every single one of them went dead straight. Normally plays a G410 9* lofted down to 8* with a TX flex shaft (can't remember the name tonight)

"Now move the ball and feel free to hit it all over the face to test the AI Smoke head"

Fired off another round of shots. High and low fades, high and low draws. Every single one of them straight with a smidgen of flight bias

Then he looked at the face..

2024-02-1617_08.31small.jpg.c0c6c349acb2ea853e7137bb3d50ad02.jpg

"WOW". I tried to hit it all over the face and the ball marks are in the middle

Then he cranked the swing up and tried to hook some balls and ended up hitting high draws that went 10-15 yards left at best. 

Lets say the Proxima definitely impressed Riley but he did ask a pertinent question - "What am I giving up by hitting these shots so straight?"

Now, I'm thinking about picking one up after reading your post, lol.  Btw, I grew up in Tarzana and would frequent Balboa/Encino quite often back in the day.  We would have quite a few matches there when I was playing on my high school team but our home course was Porter Valley CC.  I'm in West Co atm but still make trips out to that area for two of my clients and have family that lives out there.  The range is much greener than I remember it.  Oh wait, Encino/Balboa range was always a huge dirt patch, LOL.  I personally like Woodley between the bunch.  Barely any trees, 50+ yard fairways and one of the easier courses in general where it's a blast to play if you love hitting driver as much as possible off the tee like I do.  Memories.........

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Well thanks @My2Dogs again for this opportunity. And also for dealing with USPS after they lost it for a week.

The shaft arrived late yesterday and I must say the graphics are very professional looking. Not over done by any means but just enough to make it unique looking so you can identify it in someones hands. The blue, gold and white graphics kind of remind me of the pinstriping on hot rods from the 70's. Definitely showing my age there.

Of course the weather here ( Houston Area ) was perfect the last few days. Today its 49* with 20 - 25 mph winds from the North so a definite no go for me. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon it will warm up a little so I can take this bad boy out for it's maiden voyage.

Stay tuned...........................................

IMG_4960-1.jpg.22da26b229624f247bfdedfdaf9032ba.jpg

Edited by SEP1006

I will add my experience to this thread.  Alittle about me. I am 53 years old.  My current winter swing speed is around 102-103 mph, but in the middle of the summer season I am around 105 mph.  I currently play both a Ventus Red 6S and a Metaflex 5H.  The Metaflex is an "Autoflex" type shaft.  Lightweight, whippy, senior type flex.  It obviously feels totally different that the Ventus shafts, and yet it produces about 2 mph faster ball speed than the Ventus with similar dispersion (I typically hit 50-60% of fairways).  I was sent a Proxima 5X to review.  I typically do not play a X flex shaft, but I was willing to try.  I first started indoors on the launch monitor and it felt too stiff for me, which made me try and swing harder which never works.  It felt like I couldn't load it at all.  This is likely exaggerated, as I was coming from the Metaflex which loads with almost no effort.  When I struck the Proxima well, it was obviously great like most shafts are.  I then got a break in the weather here in Indy and took it on the course to play 9 holes.  I missed almost every fairway due to my attempt to swing harder so I could load the shaft.  I went back to my Metaflex, which I had in the bag, and had immediate improvement.  These results are not a shaft issue, just matching the right shaft to the right swing.  I am not sure by what criteria this would be lumped with an Autoflex, FreeFlex, or Metaflex, other than they are all coming out of Korea with "new technology".  There is nothing whippy about this shaft.  I do understand the comparison to the Ventus series.  All of this confirmed what I already knew, I have no business trying to hit an X flex shaft.  I am very interested in testing it in a stiff flex.

My son swings around 106-108 mph, so I had him come over and compare it to his Ventus Blue 6S and I will show you his numbers/data and get him to give his thoughts on the shaft.  Here is some data comparing his Ventus 6S and the Proxima.  We had a few different sessions, tweaking swing weight and loft.  The best combination for him was 9.75 degrees with D3 swing weight, playing 45".  This was also the best settings with his Ventus shaft as well, but just wanted to be sure.  He hit about 8 shots with each of the combinations below and went back and forth between shafts.  Testing done with a Uneekor Eye XO 2.

Clubdata.png.78cbee81f0c258240960f0a1e7bc6d87.png

Grouping.png.e16c4ad42bafbef947a3ee0cd4f08473.png

The really tight dispersion green circle is the TSR2 + Proxima at 9.75 degrees with D3 swing weight.  The other best dispersions, the orange and yellow circles, are also with the Proxima shaft, but different swing weights and loft. 

I have asked him to give his thoughts, and will past them here:

Background: 

24 year old male, 5’10” 155lbs 

6 handicap, driver swing speed around 106mph.

I typically play a 60 gram S-stiff shaft.  I have recently been playing the Ventus 6-S velocore with the TSR2 head and overall felt like I have played it well with solid dispersion and distance, especially in comparison to the Ventus 6-S TR velocore.

Initial Impressions:

I have never played or hit a 5-X shaft before, so I did not have any expectations in the Proxima performance. At first glance the Proxima has a clean matte black finish with no abnormal design details. Shape and taper looks and feels normal, while the weight was of course noticeable lighter. 

Feel: To no surprise, it does feel light with some flex (in comparison to the 6-S ventus), however, not too whippy or overly flexy. During the swing the Proxima did feel smooth, although not as “sturdy” as the Ventus. The Proxima had a natural feel during the takeaway and through the swing, that really took no adjustment from swinging the Ventus. While there is a slight difference in weight, overall no thought to the change as the Proxima plays pretty fluid, favoring a smooth, balanced swing with the ability to handle a more aggressive swing with little change in numbers.

Results:

My initial belief was that my dispersion and consistency with the Ventus 6-S was solid, and this was proven to be incorrect when going head to head with the Proxima. My club head speed went up 2-3mph on some swings, carry distance slightly increased, total yardage slightly  increased, but most importantly and impressively for me was a significant narrowing in my dispersion. As a player who doesn’t like to change up equipment all that often, especially when something isn’t broken, this test shows the Proxima clearly has some good things going, with it already earning a spot in the bag after just one session, with no thoughts on going back.

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Are you guys playing this at the stock length??

1 hour ago, SEP1006 said:

Are you guys playing this at the stock length??

Yes.  I’m playing the Proxima the same length as my Ventus TR’s and AutoFlex, 46”.  I do choke down about 1/2 inch on all my clubs but I have the driver at 46”. 

• Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag