Help with Driver Shaft - relatively high speed

GolfyMcWhacker'Guy

Hi everyone , really hoping for some help 

I’m a 5hcp , this summer and in summers past driver was always a strength of my game and kind of struggled with mid/long irons

i finally have worked out the kinks it seems , and have begun swingspeed training in the off season.

here is my issue - 

current driver 9* Rogue ST triple diamond with Tensei white X

im getting on average 170-176 ballspeed but I am only apexing about 55-60 feet - every other club in my bag I can hit high , low , whatever.

now on the course I can use a 3.5” tee and really hit up on it but , its simulator season and when I do that on course I am losing accuracy.

i have my driver adjusted currently to 10* , and it’s slightly better , but I am finding myself , on course and on sim - if I have a 440 with a dogleg or something I will hit my hybrid cause I can get that 260 carry and high , I am flying my hybrid further than driver and it’s beyond frustrating.

adding to that I’m speed training 2x a week and my driver in last month has gone from 110 to about 117 with 155-160 ballspeed to routinely in the 170s

i would like to find a shaft suggestion I could maybe order on eBay and just test out.

my tempo is pretty smooth and mizuno optimizer recommended I could play S+ flexes or even S300 ( I’m playing MMT 105 TX ) 

I was considering getting either a super light driver shaft or even moving to an R or S flex , I am a huge equipment junkie with irons / wedges but never so much with a driver surprisingly.

thank you for any help , this is an extremely frustrating situation!

On 11/26/2023 at 9:11 AM, GolfyMcWhacker'Guy said:

Hi everyone , really hoping for some help 

I’m a 5hcp , this summer and in summers past driver was always a strength of my game and kind of struggled with mid/long irons

i finally have worked out the kinks it seems , and have begun swingspeed training in the off season.

here is my issue - 

current driver 9* Rogue ST triple diamond with Tensei white X

im getting on average 170-176 ballspeed but I am only apexing about 55-60 feet - every other club in my bag I can hit high , low , whatever.

now on the course I can use a 3.5” tee and really hit up on it but , its simulator season and when I do that on course I am losing accuracy.

i have my driver adjusted currently to 10* , and it’s slightly better , but I am finding myself , on course and on sim - if I have a 440 with a dogleg or something I will hit my hybrid cause I can get that 260 carry and high , I am flying my hybrid further than driver and it’s beyond frustrating.

adding to that I’m speed training 2x a week and my driver in last month has gone from 110 to about 117 with 155-160 ballspeed to routinely in the 170s

i would like to find a shaft suggestion I could maybe order on eBay and just test out.

my tempo is pretty smooth and mizuno optimizer recommended I could play S+ flexes or even S300 ( I’m playing MMT 105 TX ) 

I was considering getting either a super light driver shaft or even moving to an R or S flex , I am a huge equipment junkie with irons / wedges but never so much with a driver surprisingly.

thank you for any help , this is an extremely frustrating situation!

Whats your AoA? What shaft are you playing?! Those triple diamond heads are really low spin so I am assuming their isnt enough loft on the golf club. Shaft weight will play main role in how it launches but really good chance their isnt enough loft on the club. Also think about switching the front and back weight around to increase launch put 14 gram in back 2 gram in front! Hope this helps.

Titleist TSR4 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757 IV TX Tipped 0.5" / Taylormade SIM 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757 IV TX Tipped 0.5"

PING G425 2 Hybrid 17* -1.5* GD Tour AD DI 105X Hybrid

Srixon Zx5 Mkii 3 Iron @19* DG 120 X100

Srixon Mkii Zx7 4-7 Iron, Srixon Z Forged II 8-PW DG X100 Hardstepped

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 50-54-60 MID DG S400

Putter: YES! Tracy 2 / Yes! Callie i4 Bronze / Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5

Srixon Z-Star XV

Tiktok: @tgrabowske

Social Media: @tgrabowske

You'll do better with a higher loft head in your case.  However, you could always tinker with shafts.  Perhaps a blue board profile.  There are so many options to choose from.  Not sure if you like shafts that have softer or stiffer handles but I will list some shafts for you to consider knowing you have a smoother transition. 

Fujkura - Ventus TR blue or red(I prefer them over the OG versions because they seem to be more stable and have more feel)

MCA - 1K Pro Blue, Diamana TB/GT/BF(budget friendly)

Graphite design - UB, TP, HD, GP.  These are either modified blue boards or white board/blue board tweeners.   

PX - Denali Blue

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

So I have been , well really nothing but I’ve just been trying to not add as much tilt and I’m hitting about 1-2* up and have gotten my peak height up to about 90 with 275-285 carry 

I think what’s happening is ( I’m on a sim ) adding AOA is causing me to hit it low on the face , I kind of was under impression I wouldn’t get super high ball speed from low on face but , since I’m trying to be more level at impact I’m hitting it much better on face.

i think in beginning of season , with swingspeed training all winter I will look at some different shaft / head options.

Ive always kind of been put in LS heads just due to swingspeed and X stiff heavier shafts

playing my MMT 105 TX has kind of shown my swing is smooth enough I can play lighter shafts 

I may play around with Autoflex or just some other lighter shafts and experiment with higher lofted drivers 

What’s weird I’ve noticed and I’m not sure if it’s strike or what but , 265 carry with 175 mph ball speed and like a low cut or I hit some 290 yard Carry with like 167 ball speed ,

is this strike location related? The 290 carry ones felt just nutted but on my longest drives they have not correlated with my highest ball speeds , I even sprayed the face warming up and my good drives were maybe 1/3” high and to toe from the center mark and my high high ball speed drives were low center or low toe

On 11/30/2023 at 2:46 PM, phizzy30 said:

You'll do better with a higher loft head in your case.  However, you could always tinker with shafts.  Perhaps a blue board profile.  There are so many options to choose from.  Not sure if you like shafts that have softer or stiffer handles but I will list some shafts for you to consider knowing you have a smoother transition. 

Fujkura - Ventus TR blue or red(I prefer them over the OG versions because they seem to be more stable and have more feel)

MCA - 1K Pro Blue, Diamana TB/GT/BF(budget friendly)

Graphite design - UB, TP, HD, GP.  These are either modified blue boards or white board/blue board tweeners.   

PX - Denali Blue

I like a smooth shaft that I can feel kick a little at impact , my favorite shaft I’ve had was the Mitsubishi Tini X I had this in driver 3w and 3h and loved them ; the feel from them was perfect for me

i chased distance a hair and ended up moving away from them - is there a similar shaft to that I should look at?

im pretty sure it was Kuro Kage Tini it was black / silver

had it in M3 , G400 , G410 and switched out last year due to , semi substantial gains off tee with the triple diamond 

On 11/30/2023 at 2:35 PM, tgrabowske said:

Whats your AoA? What shaft are you playing?! Those triple diamond heads are really low spin so I am assuming their isnt enough loft on the golf club. Shaft weight will play main role in how it launches but really good chance their isnt enough loft on the club. Also think about switching the front and back weight around to increase launch put 14 gram in back 2 gram in front! Hope this helps.

I’ll try swapping the weights , I think I was catching knucklers low on face due to trying to hit so up on it , I switched to a more “level” swing and am 1-2* up on it and got carry to 275-290 range with 90 foot apex 

the knucklers are 170+ ballspeed with 1400 spin or less

the good ones are 160-167 ballspeed , but too high spin ( 28-3300 ) but are carrying 275-290 

I think I’ll keep working on this through winter and do a pretty wide spectrum driver fitting around April , probably multiple with different flexes & heads

1 hour ago, GolfyMcWhacker'Guy said:

I like a smooth shaft that I can feel kick a little at impact , my favorite shaft I’ve had was the Mitsubishi Tini X I had this in driver 3w and 3h and loved them ; the feel from them was perfect for me

i chased distance a hair and ended up moving away from them - is there a similar shaft to that I should look at?

had it in M3 , G400 , G410 and switched out last year due to , semi substantial gains off tee with the triple diamond 

Something like Diamana TB or if you want it a little firmer Diamana ZF/GT.  The TB is a smooth swingers dream with loads of feel with great stability. 

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5 wood w/Diamana TB 70S

G425 7w w/Tensei Pro Orange 7S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour w/strokelab

CT/CTX or BX 🤔

7 hours ago, GolfyMcWhacker'Guy said:

I’ll try swapping the weights , I think I was catching knucklers low on face due to trying to hit so up on it , I switched to a more “level” swing and am 1-2* up on it and got carry to 275-290 range with 90 foot apex 

the good ones are 160-167 ballspeed , but too high spin ( 28-3300 ) but are carrying 275-290 

I think I’ll keep working on this through winter and do a pretty wide spectrum driver fitting around April , probably multiple with different flexes & heads

it is reasonably unlikely that you catch the ball low on the face and produce significantly lower spin that on solid strikes ... gear effect low on the clubface would produce more spin.

to optimize your launch conditions you want to have a reasonable combination of ball speed, launch and spin ... so not considering the launch angle renders the spin values almost worthless

eg if you launch your good ones at 7° that spin is absolutely necessary to keep the ball in the air ... by reducing your spin from 3000 to 2000 rpm you would actually loose 20+yds of carry!!!

see https://trajectory.flightscope.com/ for comparison ... if you play around a little with launch and spin parameters, you will see that there is no perfect spin rate that works best for every combination of launch and speed 

Stealth2+ 8° HZRDUS Blue RDX Smoke 60 S
Stealth2+ 14.25° Tensei blue 65 S
Stealth2+ 17.5° Tensei blue 65 S
Stealth+ Rescue 21.25° Tensei blue 75 S
P790 5 - 7, NS Pro Modus 3 105 S

P770 8 - P, NS Pro Modus 3 105 S
MG4 50° 54°HB 58° HiToe, NS Pro Modus 3 115 Wedge

10 hours ago, GolfyMcWhacker'Guy said:

You are confirming what i though was the problem.

1/8" = 0.35*on launch and average 240 rpm of spin
Moving impact UP, adds launch and cut of spin
Moving DOWN, reduce launch and adds spin.

So its really a impact issue that can be fixed, simply follow my DIY driver tune up.
If you like the shaft and head combo you have, DONT change it, find the right play length and head wgt, and the problem is solved. All you need to know to get there is in this DIY driver tune up.

• Like 2

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

The easiest thing to try is adding a bit more loft. You might also get a few shafts of evil bay to play around with. But long-term, I agree with Howard that the advantage of trying to get the impact spot a bit higher on the face (and toward the toe) is that besides loft you will also gain a little bit of ball speed. 

13 hours ago, GolfyMcWhacker'Guy said:

I've never tested the KK Tini.  If I knew the EI profile I could recommend something.  Is it mid launch/mid spin?  Low/low?  I could at least recommend something off that. 

Edited by phizzy30

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

1 hour ago, Spinozist said:

The easiest thing to try is adding a bit more loft. You might also get a few shafts of evil bay to play around with. But long-term, I agree with Howard that the advantage of trying to get the impact spot a bit higher on the face (and toward the toe) is that besides loft you will also gain a little bit of ball speed. 

I like the term evil bay, lol.  I call it flea bay. 

11 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I've never tested the KK Tini.  If I knew the EI profile I could recommend something.  Is it mid launch/mid spin?  Low/low?  I could at least recommend something off that. 

You're referring to the KK from not quite a decade ago?  Promoted as mid/mid, "Soft handle, moderate mid, stiff tip design", with a high-ish balance point.  I guess a lower spin/launch Blueboard profile with great dispersion numbers?

It's at the golf shaft reviews site.  Very, very popular shaft per the review.

image.png.fabd78701c111ee4cd8b5b5d7e2c7941.png

Edited by Jayjay_theweim_guy

9 hours ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

You're referring to the KK from not quite a decade ago?  Promoted as mid/mid, "Soft handle, moderate mid, stiff tip design", with a high-ish balance point.  I guess a lower spin/launch Blueboard profile with great dispersion numbers?

It's at the golf shaft reviews site.  Very, very popular shaft per the review.

image.png.fabd78701c111ee4cd8b5b5d7e2c7941.png

Thats the one , is there a modern version of that? I LOVED this shaft 

The last thing you are probably wanting is having 5+ shafts on your list of trying or considering but I will toss one more out that is not widely discussed, TPT.  The TPT shafts are made in such a way that they are 100% uniform meaning each shaft is exactly the same due to the manufacturing process and this makes them very consistent.  The shafts they make are specific to that club (driver, fairway, hybrid) so you are not just cutting and tipping a driver shaft to fit a fairway wood.  You have to depart from your way of thinking when it comes to flex because it is slightly different.  I would suggest if you do consider TPT you look in the Nitro range.  

Just now, Wonderboy said:

The last thing you are probably wanting is having 5+ shafts on your list of trying or considering but I will toss one more out that is not widely discussed, TPT.  The TPT shafts are made in such a way that they are 100% uniform meaning each shaft is exactly the same due to the manufacturing process and this makes them very consistent.  The shafts they make are specific to that club (driver, fairway, hybrid) so you are not just cutting and tipping a driver shaft to fit a fairway wood.  You have to depart from your way of thinking when it comes to flex because it is slightly different.  I would suggest if you do consider TPT you look in the Nitro range.  

TPT power or nitro series are both good.  They use machines to so there is no human error and the finished product is consistent.  Had the TPT 15 HI and the dispersion was crazy good.  Very linear but still had a little feel to it.  Ball speed numbers were on the low side of average, however that could've been due to the head. 

On 12/3/2023 at 6:40 PM, GolfyMcWhacker'Guy said:

What’s weird I’ve noticed and I’m not sure if it’s strike or what but , 265 carry with 175 mph ball speed and like a low cut or I hit some 290 yard Carry with like 167 ball speed ,

NOT weird. 

You have to give us the data, but we can guess. AoA to Launch Angle, and Spin.

Fairly obvious, we know you know. 

290 with like 167 ball speed means you're around 2000 spin, and other one is obviously way higher, closer to 3000.

You can do that with one being a draw and the other being more of a fade, with the same swing. 

It's what many do on PURPOSE, to get the ball in play according to the shape of the course.

If you can do that, you should DO that, and be able to execute them on command.

If you're really good, sure, you can do it with strike location all over the face, move the tee up and down, choke up on the club, hit down, hit up, etc etc. 

With your speed you have to be able to control it more, or, slow down, and accept the consistency and accuracy but it would be slightly less distance. 

I wish I had your speed. 😁

Shafts are great for fine tuning, but if you are hitting your driver ~30-40 feet too low it's not the route to go. I'd say when in doubt, listen to Howard Jones.

With drivers, delivery/swing trumps all. I got into a nasty habit of path going too far left this season and there was no driver that could optimize distance and accuracy with the swing I was putting on it. Shifted path from 3-5 degrees outside in to 0-2 degrees, ball started flying higher and longer again.

I play a low spin head, but have it at 11.5 degrees. I found out the same thing you did, that low spin heads get unplayable at lower lofts. 

• Like 1

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

3 hours ago, GolfyMcWhacker'Guy said:

Thats the one , is there a modern version of that? I LOVED this shaft 

That same site (and it's fantastic!  Albeit not free, but insanely inexpensive considering his data) mention the update to that shaft is the KK XM or XT.  He states they're fairly similar, albeit one has a stiffness rise in the middle that the other doesn't.

As far as a more recent equivalent, let's ask the horse's mouth: @MITSUBISHI CHEMICAL, What current shaft(s) in your line is about the same (but better!) as your Kuro Kage Proto TiNi?

Let's see what they say.  They're usually very responsive in this forum.  Isn't the Internet great?

2 hours ago, rsballer10 said:

Shafts are great for fine tuning, but if you are hitting your driver ~30-40 feet too low it's not the route to go. I'd say when in doubt, listen to Howard Jones.

With drivers, delivery/swing trumps all. I got into a nasty habit of path going too far left this season and there was no driver that could optimize distance and accuracy with the swing I was putting on it. Shifted path from 3-5 degrees outside in to 0-2 degrees, ball started flying higher and longer again.

I play a low spin head, but have it at 11.5 degrees. I found out the same thing you did, that low spin heads get unplayable at lower lofts. 

^^^^^^ This a new shaft isnt going to change trajectory enough to where you need it regardless of what you get. delivery/loft is going to dictate that more than anything. and as @Howard_Jones said strike location.

Titleist TSR4 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757 IV TX Tipped 0.5" / Taylormade SIM 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757 IV TX Tipped 0.5"

PING G425 2 Hybrid 17* -1.5* GD Tour AD DI 105X Hybrid

Srixon Zx5 Mkii 3 Iron @19* DG 120 X100

Srixon Mkii Zx7 4-7 Iron, Srixon Z Forged II 8-PW DG X100 Hardstepped

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 50-54-60 MID DG S400

Putter: YES! Tracy 2 / Yes! Callie i4 Bronze / Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5

Srixon Z-Star XV

Tiktok: @tgrabowske

Social Media: @tgrabowske

22 hours ago, HeadCovered said:

NOT weird. 

You have to give us the data, but we can guess. AoA to Launch Angle, and Spin.

Fairly obvious, we know you know. 

290 with like 167 ball speed means you're around 2000 spin, and other one is obviously way higher, closer to 3000.

You can do that with one being a draw and the other being more of a fade, with the same swing. 

It's what many do on PURPOSE, to get the ball in play according to the shape of the course.

If you can do that, you should DO that, and be able to execute them on command.

If you're really good, sure, you can do it with strike location all over the face, move the tee up and down, choke up on the club, hit down, hit up, etc etc. 

With your speed you have to be able to control it more, or, slow down, and accept the consistency and accuracy but it would be slightly less distance. 

I wish I had your speed. 😁

I used to exclusively hit a cut with all my irons and driver and had very high ( think JT ) hands  , I could hit a pull hook but not a draw.

I was playing in a tournament and the caddy I had after an atrocious first 18 holes just tells me “I’ll see you at range in morning” and he shows me I had basically no rotation and was just getting hands high , he gave me a feel and literally ever since I’m hitting a draw but can work it both ways and my irons have become incredibly more consistent.

For fairway finders I will sometimes hit a choke down 3-4 inch low cut drive but generally if I want to hit it 260-270 off the tee reasonably certain into fairway I’ll just hit my 2h , I can hit a low trap draw with it that if it’s firm and fast can go almost as far as my driver,  thats one of reasons of my frustration with driver ( it’s getting better last 3 sim sessions ) say I have a bunker 250 where I may not carry it due to height with driver , I can carry it with 2h 😭 

I used to hit a lot of heel almost shanks with driver but with swing changes that’s gone away my miss is 99% of time low and off toe now , I’ll be getting a can of foot spray and observing my strikes more and hopefully do what Howard suggested on the driver fitting , 

all my irons are +.5” and +.5* upright but I’ve never fiddled with driver at all

23 hours ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

That same site (and it's fantastic!  Albeit not free, but insanely inexpensive considering his data) mention the update to that shaft is the KK XM or XT.  He states they're fairly similar, albeit one has a stiffness rise in the middle that the other doesn't.

As far as a more recent equivalent, let's ask the horse's mouth: @MITSUBISHI CHEMICAL, What current shaft(s) in your line is about the same (but better!) as your Kuro Kage Proto TiNi?

Let's see what they say.  They're usually very responsive in this forum.  Isn't the Internet great?

Hey there -- We get asked this a lot. People really liked that Kuro Kage!

Closest to in the lineup right now is probably TENSEI 1K Pro White. Many who have come out of Kuro Kage have moved rather seamlessly into 1K Pro White.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GolfyMcWhacker'Guy said:

I used to exclusively hit a cut with all my irons and driver and had very high ( think JT ) hands  , I could hit a pull hook but not a draw.

I was playing in a tournament and the caddy I had after an atrocious first 18 holes just tells me “I’ll see you at range in morning” and he shows me I had basically no rotation and was just getting hands high , he gave me a feel and literally ever since I’m hitting a draw but can work it both ways and my irons have become incredibly more consistent.

For fairway finders I will sometimes hit a choke down 3-4 inch low cut drive but generally if I want to hit it 260-270 off the tee reasonably certain into fairway I’ll just hit my 2h , I can hit a low trap draw with it that if it’s firm and fast can go almost as far as my driver,  thats one of reasons of my frustration with driver ( it’s getting better last 3 sim sessions ) say I have a bunker 250 where I may not carry it due to height with driver , I can carry it with 2h 😭 

I used to hit a lot of heel almost shanks with driver but with swing changes that’s gone away my miss is 99% of time low and off toe now , I’ll be getting a can of foot spray and observing my strikes more and hopefully do what Howard suggested on the driver fitting , 

all my irons are +.5” and +.5* upright but I’ve never fiddled with driver at all

Have you looked at Bryson? There's nobody else who does high hands than he and he hits draws almost exclusively, and he's using an extra low lofted driver.  Just saying.

You need to go to a local shop or a Pro who has a launch monitor so you can SEE your club data in the swing. 

It's not just about the length of the club, but it's the swing data. We can all talk about the swing for all the other clubs in the bag, but what people don't realise is that with the big headed drivers of the modern game you have to have a completely different swing to the rest of the clubs because the ball is on the tee, even if you have a downward AoA with the driver. But you should be able to see that data as soon as you get onto a launch monitor and it will also show you the strike location on the face

1 hour ago, MITSUBISHI CHEMICAL said:

Hey there -- We get asked this a lot. People really liked that Kuro Kage!

Closest to in the lineup right now is probably TENSEI 1K Pro White. Many who have come out of Kuro Kage have moved rather seamlessly into 1K Pro White.

Awesome!   Thank you so much for your involvement with this forum and your responsiveness.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GolfyMcWhacker'Guy said:

I’ll be getting a can of foot spray and observing my strikes more and hopefully do what Howard suggested on the driver fitting , 

Following the Driver DIY advice is astoundingly helpful.  Like, "How did I think I could play this game without knowing this?," kind of helpful.  

Figure out what shaft length works, what weight works, and a lot of the rest falls into place. 

As someone else liking extra shaft length in irons/hybrids and an upright lie (short arms), also take a look at driver lies with different adapters and styles.  Another reason I'm kicking myself for not just getting an LST, is that it's about 1-1.5° flatter.  It's not to improve flight for me; it's a setup mental issue.  I've got my current head maxed-out on flatness and it kinda works.  Something like Callaway, where they seem to be a lot flatter innately, might work a bit better.

3 hours ago, HeadCovered said:

Have you looked at Bryson? There's nobody else who does high hands than he and he hits draws almost exclusively, and he's using an extra low lofted driver.  Just saying.

You need to go to a local shop or a Pro who has a launch monitor so you can SEE your club data in the swing. 

It's not just about the length of the club, but it's the swing data. We can all talk about the swing for all the other clubs in the bag, but what people don't realise is that with the big headed drivers of the modern game you have to have a completely different swing to the rest of the clubs because the ball is on the tee, even if you have a downward AoA with the driver. But you should be able to see that data as soon as you get onto a launch monitor and it will also show you the strike location on the face

I have my club data off GC quad and Trackman , and my personal Mevo +

my with a standard driver swing is between +1 +3.5 if I’m trying to hit a high one

Swingspeed is between 116-122 

ballspeed with driver is normally 163-176 

path is almost always 3* in to out and I kick my back foot back if I am hitting up on it heavily to counteract the effect of AOA up on ball with swingpath , at +1 angle my swing is about 3 , at +3.5 it’s about 6-7 in to out 

after the discussion in this thread I think I will have to tweak my driver a bit , it’s a Rogue LST triple diamond with a Tensei White X at 9* loft , I am going to experiment with the settings a little bit  and some club spray to hopefully improve impact conditions and see if that addresses the launch height 

my 6i is about 97mph with -4 AOA with a 2-3* in to out path , pretty consistently carry it 200-205 with 56-5700 spin 

5 minutes ago, GolfyMcWhacker'Guy said:

my with a standard driver swing is between +1 +3.5 if I’m trying to hit a high one

path is almost always 3* in to out and I kick my back foot back if I am hitting up on it heavily to counteract the effect of AOA up on ball with swingpath , at +1 angle my swing is about 3 , at +3.5 it’s about 6-7 in to out 

after the discussion in this thread I think I will have to tweak my driver a bit , it’s a Rogue LST triple diamond with a Tensei White X at 9* loft , I am going to experiment with the settings a little bit  and some club spray to hopefully improve impact conditions and see if that addresses the launch height 

my 6i is about 97mph with -4 AOA with a 2-3* in to out path , pretty consistently carry it 200-205 with 56-5700 spin 

Ah! OK, good! 

Sounds to me like if you're looking for more consistency, you need to switch driver head to something more stable with the weights at the back than something like the TripleD.

Your numbers all seem nice, and I don't mean to sound facetious, but lets look at it at the extremes: 

What do you think would happen if you tried to swing at 8 or 9 degrees up and lowered the loft to 7, or 6, or 5? You can do this. That's what you need to see whether you can do, you in fact need to try to hit it even higher, but with less spin, maintaining the same speed. If you try to hit it higher, it will straighten it out. 

Conversely. Going back to what you were saying about the consistency of your driving iron swing etc - 

if you were to hit DOWN with the driver and get it to -1 AoA, and used an 11 degree head, for example - do you think you can do that and handle that? 

I would love to see these two extremes FIRST, than you trying to see where you're hitting it on the face

4 hours ago, GolfyMcWhacker'Guy said:

Off topic, but your ball speed is pretty low relative to your swing speed which tells me that the head your using doesn't quite have the pop it should.  My ss is 118 and I consistently get 175-177 ball speed.  123 if I absolutely max out and that nets me 182-183 ball speed.  Perhaps you should look into getting another head. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Off topic, but your ball speed is pretty low relative to your swing speed which tells me that the head your using doesn't quite have the pop it should

Or strike is such that you're not getting all of the smash you should.  As phizzy noted, and I agree:  it's pretty low.

Maybe it's going to spin, maybe it's going to tilting the spin axis, maybe it's off the heel?  But you won't know until you track your hit locations, and get those strikes both closer and in a more advantageous location on the face.

Once you do that, then we can see, 'OK, he needs to loft up/down, go longer/shorter on the driver, different weight,' whatever.  I would not recommend drastically altering your swing to try and achieve +6-9° AoA.

Edited by Jayjay_theweim_guy
  • Like 1