Swing Changes - How Often Do You Do It?

bobfoster

[NOTE: This is here - and not in the Instruction & Academy forum - as I'm not asking about technical swing details, but rather how golfers approach the issue of swing changes over the course of time.]

So, I believe most decent golfers (for this purpose, say those that can regularly shoot 80s - 70s or better) have "a swing". Everything from the grip/stance/setup, to pace and rhythm, steeper or flatter ("digger vs. picker") plane, follow through, etc., etc. Quite often even a pre-shot routine that is almost robotically identical every swing. In fact, possibly one of the most fundamental components of shooting good scores week after week - a primary differentiator between casual weekenders and good golfers - is having a consistent swing.

Getting a solid swing locked down is foundational to solid golf. However, there's also no such thing as a "permanent" swing that you can achieve, and then never change. (If for no other reason than the fact that the body itself changes over time. If I tried to swing  - in my 60s - the way I swung in my 20s I'd be at a freaking chiropractor for the next week.) 

Most golfers certainly are making minor little tweaks on an almost continual basis ... in the relentless (if never fully attainable) pursuit of perfection. But these are usually focused on some single element of the  basic swing. I'm going to pause for a fraction of a second more during transition, or flatten the wrist a bit, or get more precise about shaft/arm angle at P3, etc., etc. But these are micro-adjustments to the underlying foundation - slightly trimming the sails on the boat as it were.

Periodically, almost anyone with a consistent swing, however, finds themself needing (or desiring) a deeper foundational overhaul. In fact, when the best pros do this it often makes the golf news (e.g., Tiger's swing changes when he went from Harmon to Haney, and then to Foley, were widely discussed and hotly disputed). A fundamental swing comes about through just a lot of practice, a lot of reps. Changing it is hard - it will often hose a guy's scores for a half a season. And that's the pros, who can put serious hours into embedding a new swing into muscle memory. 

So there are a lot of decent amateurs (and even a couple pros) on WRX. I'm wondering what your thoughts on swing changes are. Do you tend to stick with something for years at a time and just make a major change every so often? Or are you continually making smaller changes ... just a perpetual gradual evolution? And for those that do (or have done) major changes, why did you do so? How did you do so? How long did it take? And was it successful? (I know, weird question, but I have a couple friends that worked with new teachers, tried for months, and ultimately returned to mostly what they had been doing.)

This is on my mind as I'm doing one this winter. Already started - doing several dozen swings a day each w/ a PW, 7i, and 4i to start. (No ball, just swings in my living room - starting the process of making the unnatural feel natural - something that only reps can do.) 

I get that this is definitely a GolfWRX "winter season" thread. But, after all, this is WRX, and it is, in fact, winter ... 😅

Edited by bobfoster

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno MP-20 MMC, 7-PW ~ KBS $-Taper 120

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

A long post, and a good one, but I'm not going to match it in length. 😄 

I'm not a fan of making "foundational" changes. Find your priority thing, work on that, and repeat the process again. When you play, just play: find the swing thought that works or helps, and get the ball in the hole. Practice on the range (or whatever), play on the course.

Edited by iacas
missed a "t"
  • Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad/FlightScope • Socials: @iacas

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 22.

Certified Drop & Brake Instructor since 2024. #FeelAintReal

I remember where I was when I read the virtuoso manifesto. — 2024-01-25

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

As a stroke survivor, I was fortunate to have a full month of rehab learning to walk again.  Then another two months of outpatient.  Then I was on my own.

I have continued working on my balance and coordination for 25 years.  First by building model rockets and chasing them across farm fields.  I just got up on a ladder and cleaned the gutters of my home.

I've learned how to track my improvements.

I intentionally decided to learn my golf swing in a series of steps.  

First with rotational swing in my back yard.

Then I learned how to swing a golf club on a hilly executive course.

I found I could add in some weight shift and gain 20% more distance. I also found that my cross dominance allowed me to work the ball.

I had some clubs adjusted and the guy who helped me out pointed that I was hitting the ground first.  So I spent this season working on ball first contact with no weight shift.

As the season was ending I had great ball contact and found I could now swing harder without screwing up my tempo for more distance.

I still have weight shift to add back into my swing.  Maybe next year?  I have a very usable swing with good control--I can hit the center of the fairway with my 4 iron with reasonable consistency.

My misses are almost always a push to the right when I don't rotate properly.  I can swing hard and pull the ball to the left with a little more distance.

I have very good consistency.  I'm always hitting the same trees on the course I play. 🤣

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

I'm 62. I've made one major foundational change in my swing when I came up against the limitations of how I was hitting the ball. I was stuck at about a 8 hcp, and didn't see a path to improvement with the swing I had. That foundational change basically took me two years to complete. It takes time to change the "feel" of your swing. I also became much more interested in swing mechanics, and using data to verify the changes. Some of my playing partners said I became a swing nerd for a while.... Overall it was a success for me, but a year or two of frustration during the change. 

While I do tweak or fine tune with minor adjustments, no major changes. 

My response is NOT at the OP but the generic topic.  I don't like swing changes for non-disciplined amateurs. It doesn't work because something always comes up, leaving their mechanics in worse condition.  One man's opinion after watching many people in two clubs mention swing changes but never seeing results.  

Some Pros make fundamental changes to their swings with the express purpose of improving their future prospects, that I totally understand and support.  But the average amateur doesn't have that level of commitment, nor does he have the time or ability to stay focused to realize greater improvement, like pros.  

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58g
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD 80g 
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90g
  • T100 3i & 5i MMT 85g
  • T100 6i to 9i MMT 105g
  • T100 PW MMT SW 105S 113g
  • SM9 F52/12 & M58/8, DG S200 127g
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x or AVX

Read somewhere a long time ago that you’ve got the swing you started with.  
Yes you can make changes to improve, lots of tips, but the swing is essentially the same.   
I started the game (48 years ago) with a huge slice, 180 yds.  figured out how to make that work, got to an 8 with a good short game.   Sorted that with an effort to not come over the top, and a very strong grip.  Got to 5, then 3 and a few weeks at 1. Mostly a 2-3 for about a decade.  With an imperfect swing, I swayed.  Life, job, age, arthritis et al took over and went up to 13.  Physical degeneration came along and took over.  
Enough of that, physio, injections, and more then a quality swing coach with a MAJOR overhaul of my swing.   
Now I have a new swing , 11 months into it I’m seeing it.  Shot 70 once, I’m down to a 7 index.  
The journey isn’t nearly over, and won’t ever be.  I can only say there’s light at the end of the tunnel.   

So if you’re going to change your swing, be prepared to persevere.  

1 hour ago, ShortGolfer said:

As a stroke survivor, I was fortunate to have a full month of rehab learning to walk again.  Then another two months of outpatient.  Then I was on my own.

Actually this is a good point, and hadn't occurred to me. When I think about it, I can think of four people (other than myself) that I've talked to this past year that were doing fundamentally different things. Only one was doing it for my reasons (i.e., I'm now a 66 year old, and want to maintain decent scores in the coming decade). One was doing it because he was decent, but had just bought his first new clubs in over a decade, and (probably correctly) concluded that re-thinking his game and his swing would likely help him get much more out of them. 

But the other two were doing it 100% due to physical issues. One was just completing recovery from a badly torn ACL and had been cleared by his doctor start playing again (was almost a year), and the other has a brand new titanium hip. I've never experienced either of those (or anything like them), but a lot of my older friends have. And they almost all say "I can't really explain it, but my body just feels different". 

I almost can't imagine relearning a golf swing if you actually had to relearn how to walk. 

I had ataxia on my entire dominant side, from head to toe. And no sense of balance.  It wasn't just walking, speech therapy, and occupational therapy.

I also had to fix double vision.  I learned to write again and still practice handwriting.  And undoubtedly something else that I can't remember at the moment.  Oh, the tinnitus in my right ear.  Fortunately gone now.

Initiallly I had no sense of feel on my entire right side, which is why I've not been doing weight shift right now.  

After a long winter layoff I wasn't feeling much in the bottom of my right foot  But it is coming back.... 

The swing I had as a kid was awful.  Too much stress on my back.  Way off balance.  Totally unusable.  But, it may explain why I can elevate a 22* 4 iron with accuracy today.

The swing I have now works on wet grass in the morning.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ShortGolfer said:

I had ataxia on my entire dominant side, from head to toe. And no sense of balance.  It wasn't just walking, speech therapy, and occupational therapy.

I also had to fix double vision.  I learned to write again and still practice handwriting.  And undoubtedly something else that I can't remember at the moment.  Oh, the tinnitus in my right ear.  Fortunately gone now.

Initiallly I had no sense of feel on my entire right side, which is why I've not been doing weight shift right now.  

After a long winter layoff I wasn't feeling much in the bottom of my right foot  But it is coming back.... 

The swing I had as a kid was awful.  Too much stress on my back.  Way off balance.  Totally unusable.  But, it may explain why I can elevate a 22* 4 iron with accuracy today.

Congratulations on overcoming these significant challenges and your continued progress. Best wishes for good health and good golf. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

49 minutes ago, ShortGolfer said:

Holy crapsticks Batman! Fate handed you quite the row to hoe. Mad respect here.

Edited by bobfoster

I started golfing at 8 and am 43 now.  I've overhauled my swing twice and have made small adjustments here and there.  My swing is still flat, I still swing in to out and I don't think that's ever gonna change.  My major swing changes have taken me from extremely in to out to now being 2-4* in to out which makes my good shots good and my misses much more manageable.  I've been struggling this year in terms of health because I've had an unusually high amount of injuries which has had me making compensations in my swing.  However, those injuries have healed up now for the most part so I can continue working on the things I need to in order to shoot lower scores.  Right now I'm working on getting a little shallower with my irons and tightening up my pitching and chipping. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Honestly, 99% of golfers who are trying to make positive changes to their swing would be better off not playing on the course at all. For a while anyway.

Just work, work, work, at the range until it’s truly second-nature. The Hogan way, if you will.

I’m sure Tiger wishes he could’ve taken the entire year of 1998 off the PGA Tour and even the majors to work on his swing changes and his run in 1999-2002 would’ve been even better. He did say in his How I Play Golf book from 2001 that he definitely preferred the range over the course.

The joint at the base of my left thumb has worn out and had started to collapse and hyper-extend when I swung a club.

Made significant grip changes early this summer to avoid this and preserve what's left of the joint.

Scores went up 4/5 strokes per round for several months, but in October/November I have been scoring better than before the change- and the thumb has not collapsed for several months.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

In about 2016 I changed to a fade. Had been a drawer all my life. I did that change on my own...grinding out the right setup and swing variables to produce consistent fades. And had a good bit of success. Played to about scratch.

In winter 2020-2021 I worked with an instructor with 1 goal...limit the damage my OTT move causes. We worked on setup, backswing, transition, and downswing and got me to a place where I hit it better and more consistently. I reached +1.5.

But as 2022 kicked in, things started to be less consistent. I was gradually getting a bit too close to extremes with certain positions and my steepness was an issue again.

So as 2022 closed, I decided it was time for a major overhaul. I needed to eliminate a lateral slide and reduce how steep I get in transition. I bought a launch monitor and setup a net and mat at home...more reps. Went to work in November of last year. 2023 was all about ingraining changes. The competitive season was terrible. I think I broke par once or twice. But there were glimpses...a 66 in late June. Ballstriking rounds that could easily have been 67/68. Then shot 65 in early September. Went 70-72 in 20mph winds to win a tournament 2 weeks ago. 

My changes are mostly done but the steepness isn't where I want it to be yet. I just have to keep repping. Big swing changes are HARD. They take a ton of time. I don't recommend them often. I don't recommend you do them on your own.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, bobfoster said:

This is on my mind as I'm doing one this winter. Already started - doing several dozen swings a day each w/ a PW, 7i, and 4i to start. (No ball, just swings in my living room - starting the process of making the unnatural feel natural - something that only reps can do.) 

That is exactly what I did one winter, and it converted me from being a flipper to not being one. 

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5 hybrid
6-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
Odyssey Mini Jailbird, slightly long and counter balanced

43 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

My response is NOT at the OP but the generic topic.  I don't like swing changes for non-disciplined amateurs. It doesn't work because something always comes up, leaving their mechanics in worse condition.  One man's opinion after watching many people in two clubs mention swing changes but never seeing results.  

Some Pros make fundamental changes to their swings with the express purpose of improving their future prospects, that I totally understand and support.  But the average amateur doesn't have that level of commitment, nor does he have the time or ability to stay focused to realize greater improvement, like pros.  

Totally get what you are saying. But I did try to say this only really applied to folks that shot at least consistent 80s or 70s. Which is actually not that many. Basic stats are that 45% of golfers will never even break 100. Only around 25% can consistently break 90. And about 2% can break 80 with any consistency. So some discipline already has to be there. 

And IMO, it does take discipline, but not necessarily that much time and effort. General rule of thumb (according to physiologists) is that it takes around 10,000 reps to embed something new into muscle memory. But break that down. I'm doing a few dozen swings a day in my living room. Start with a few slo-mo to get the path, then a few checking the P positions, then a bunch of "brush the carpet" swings on plane. Not even a full set-up with each swing, just backswing to follow-through.  Once every couple weeks I'll go to a local indoor range and hit a few buckets. All in all about, say, 100 swings a day, taking all of a half hour (or less). But add that up. 100 a day is 3,000 a month. Will be at the 10,000 mark when my local courses in the northeast start thawing out.

So I'll have a new swing for the 2024 season by spending approximately the same amount of time and effort I put into a single graduate econ course in college. In fact, spend around the same amount of time per day just answering morning emails (and incidentally, having a good swing is potentially the source of a lot more pleasure than most of the emails 😂).

• Like 1

I haven't made a swing change since 2007-2008 when I started with my current swing coach.  My first session with him was in the Spring of 2007 and I felt like I had gotten comfortable with the swing by the end of 2008.  My ball striking was consistent enough to play tournament golf with some confidence. Not saying I was completely done with learning and improving, but felt I could compete against good fields

I still see my coach 2-3 times a year to fix the nonsense that inevitably creeps in and I'm still trying to get better. 

I've said many times before that I am one of the lucky ones that found a coach/mentor that I trust with everything i have and that made me a better player, and a better person.   It's truly rare it seems

Edited by otto6457
  • Like 1

LOL I have been changing my swing for 57 years.  Never played more then a few rounds where I was not trying something new and any time that I did go with the same swing for a few rounds I got worse and worse until I would give up and try something else.  I used to change grips and swings mid round all the time but I don't do that much anymore.  Some changes are more mental and not visible but quite a few of them are visible to a someone who has a trained eye such as a teaching pro as I have made some of the changes while a pro was watching and they could identify what I was doing differently. 

I have always played better when I try something 'new' though usually recycled.  Peaking Mount Stupid over and over I guess.  Over the last couple of years I feel like I have slowly narrowed my method down and well, hope springs eternal! 

25 minutes ago, Foxx said:

If you learnt to throw a ball or chop wood well you already know how to swing a club properly. 

I reduced a maple tree stump to little wood chips by swinging an ax!  Took months of work!

Undoubtedly a factor in how I swing a golf club. 

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

I play my best golf when I can hit a push draw with my driver and slight draw with my irons

I have played a cut with my driver most of my life (right hand dominant but play lefty, its kinda hard not to)

My coach (weird to say considering I teach as well), has me work on getting the club little inside in the takeaway and work on hitting draw pitches for 40 to 80 yard shots ... there are other drills as well, but I don't want to rant

Sean Foley has recently said (paraphrasing) your tendencies and swing flaws will remain the same for the rest of your golfing life past the age of 25 to 30 unless there significant changes to your body ... it is incredibility difficult to make significant changes to your swing pattern, even the best players in the world who hit balls everyday, can't pull it off. Your swing is basically that, a pattern. You will have stretches where you match up your pattern well and stretches where your pattern looks like stripes and poka dotes. Understanding your pattern and having little things to work on at all times to help match up your pattern will help turn awful days into avg ones"

Basically, I don't need to take another lesson in my life ever again ... I understand my tendencies and swing flaws ... I know what to work on to keep a good pattern going

Though I still have stretches where I struggle to break 80 (with DECADE and decent short game, its tough me to not shoot under 80 now)  and then find it for 2 months

just some food for thought 

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

7 hours ago, Nels55 said:

I threw balls from birth and I split a lot of wood, in my case one has nothing to do with the other.

But do you allow that natural motion or have you tampered with it to the point it's a conscious deliberate mechanical swing?

I've been there. I had a fluent swing I didn't think about. Then through hitting bad shots I figured I needed to change something, then something else. Then before I knew it I was playing golf thinking about my swing and stopped thinking about the actual shot or target line/flight.

Bad shots are a trap. We see them and think something needs changing. Even throwing a ball or chopping wood results in bad throws or strikes sometimes. Nothing's perfect.

I say that if someone's golf swing is rarely producing good shots, they have either got into the habit of a mechanical concious swing or they never learned to throw a ball or chop wood properly.

Edited by Foxx

I'm not very strong and the stump of a maple tree is very  hard and dense wood.  I needed to accurately swing that ax to break off little chips.  If I missed it was basically a wasted swing.

Very much like playing golf!

I didn't learn how to catch a ball until I was taught in stroke rehab!  The therapist noted that I had very fast reflexes.  Almost too fast for the exercise we were doing.

Edited by ShortGolfer

1 hour ago, ShortGolfer said:

I'm not very strong and the stump of a maple tree is very  hard and dense wood.  I needed to accurately swing that ax to break off little chips.  If I missed it was basically a wasted swing.

Very much like playing golf!

I didn't learn how to catch a ball until I was taught in stroke rehab!  The therapist noted that I had very fast reflexes.  Almost too fast for the exercise we were doing.

Yes, to break the tree up you needed timing. Hips, arms, hands all working together in a fluent sequence.  There's the golf swing.

Edited by Foxx

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

But do you allow that natural motion or have you tampered with it to the point it's a conscious deliberate mechanical swing?

I've been there. I had a fluent swing I didn't think about. Then through hitting bad shots I figured I needed to change something, then something else. Then before I knew it I was playing golf thinking about my swing and stopped thinking about the actual shot or target line/flight.

Bad shots are a trap. We see them and think something needs changing. Even throwing a ball or chopping wood results in bad throws or strikes sometimes. Nothing's perfect.

I say that if someone's golf swing is rarely producing good shots, they have either got into the habit of a mechanical concious swing or they never learned to throw a ball or chop wood properly.

I started golfing when I was 11 years old.  My natural swing was terrible.  Throwing a ball has no relation to swinging a golf club for me.  That said I do not discount your experience, you are simply different then I am.  Lucky for you!