Jump to content

How do you choose your wedge bounces and grinds?


danthegolfer

Recommended Posts

Have been generally underwhelmed with wedge fittings that I have done. The wedge fitting guides online are kind of absurd. "What turf condition do you play, firm or soft?"  Well... it obviously depends on the day!

 

I have very low confidence that my array of wedges is actually any good. I play in all sorts of conditions, different grasses, etc. 


What's your wedge setup, and why? Do you change out wedges based on the conditions you are playing that day? Interested to hear all opinions!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to go wrong with a high bounce sand wedge paired with a med or low bounce lob wedge. 

 

I personally also like heel/toe relief.  Then you have most conditions taken care of, with a lob wedge that you can open up. 

  • Like 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (16.5), 7W (19.5), 9W (22.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping G425

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10                        

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 / Miura KM 008 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Starting the topic, for years I have been using a Vokey 56/14 F grind. It's been my go-to club for everything inside of 85 yards with the exception of greenside bunkers.

 

For greenside bunkers, I use a JAWS MD4 60/10 S grind. I had a lot of trouble with the 56 Vokey getting consistently through the sand and it was recommended I try a 60.

 

While I have made this setup work, I know it's not ideal. When I am pitching/chipping around the greens, I am fairly steep and don't use bounce well. Despite being 14 bounce, I feel the 56* F grind can still really dig into soft turf if I'm not careful.  The 60/10 is basically unusable other than the bunkers. 

I've tried to do some wedge fittings but get quickly overwhelmed by the variety of options for even just one manufacturer. And even if I felt confident I found the right wedges at a fitting event, I'd only be confident it was the best setup for that day/turf/etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My SW works for me everywhere.
 

For LW, I switch between a Vokey T and V grind depending on conditions. If I’m not sure, the V is the safer all around choice. 
 

I’ve never been fit for a wedge. I just know what works for me through trial and error. 

  • Like 2

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4(24)-9(44) SM6 49F Modus 120-TX

SM9 54D Modus 125X, 60V Modus 125W
L.A.B. Mezz Max    2021 Pro V1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sean124 said:

My SW works for me everywhere.
 

For LW, I switch between a Vokey T and V grind depending on conditions. If I’m not sure, the V is the safer all around choice. 
 

I’ve never been fit for a wedge. I just know what works for me through trial and error. 

 

What conditions do you like the T vs the V? Same loft & bounce but grind is the only difference?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, danthegolfer said:

 

What conditions do you like the T vs the V? Same loft & bounce but grind is the only difference?


T grind - 4* bounce 

V grind - 10* bounce

 

Both are similar grinds with lots of heel and trailing edge relief. The T shines in firm conditions and is great in bunkers without much sand, but it’s unforgiving. 
 

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4(24)-9(44) SM6 49F Modus 120-TX

SM9 54D Modus 125X, 60V Modus 125W
L.A.B. Mezz Max    2021 Pro V1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Constant rain has made a high bounce SW unusable.

Fortunately I have a low bounce 58/6 TS for picking the ball off the mud or wet sand in bunkers.

 

If there is water in a bunker the rules do allow moving the ball without penalty to a dry part of the bunker.

The 2019 rules allow moving the ball back out of the bunker for a 2 stroke penalty--or you could also take a stroke and distance penalty if you see the ball go in the bunker and replay the shot.

I've seen someone just give up and toss the ball out of the bunker.

Edited by ShortGolfer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is another reason why I like what Cleveland has done with their cbx line with one type of grind for the type of wedge it is. I don't have an issue with it digging or anything, and I feel that when I hit a bad shot, it's on me. When I have a lob wedge in the bag it is of lower bounces, but still probably considered mid bounce.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live outside of Tampa.  We have a lot of soft and/or soggy fairways and rough.  

 

I always carry a high-bounce wedge (currently my 56*, but sometimes this will be 54*) that often is also my go-to from the sand.

 

And usually have a low-bounce lob wedge for tight lies.  Current gamer (60* Edel T) has a triple-cut sole with leading edge relief, which helps when conditions are wet.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Me personally as my wedge game got better it doesn't matter as I come to the ball much more shallower with forward shaft lean.  I actually practice with a stock PW for all of my short game shots (pitch, chip, bunker, and even flop) in all types of lies, especially bare hardpan lies where I'm tested the most).  But if someone stuck a gun to my head and choose between a high bounce wedge and a low bounce wedge, I'd choose the high bounce (just in case my short game isn't optimal).

  • Like 2

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

 

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Me personally as my wedge game got better it doesn't matter as I come to the ball much more shallower with forward shaft lean.  I actually practice with a stock PW for all of my short game shots (pitch, chip, bunker, and even flop) in all types of lies, especially bare hardpan lies where I'm tested the most).  But if someone stuck a gun to my head and choose between a high bounce wedge and a low bounce wedge, I'd choose the high bounce (just in case my short game isn't optimal).

Love this. Wedge grinds are obviously important for 100% optimization, but shot making/technique around the greens gets you 90+% of the way there.

 

I've got a T grind and the old cleveland xlow grind in my basement collecting rust. While they are fun to play, a M or D grind (mid to high bounce, heel-toe relief) is much more playable. 

 

The fitting tools online are partially to blame as well. Any shot can be played with any grind. It's just some grinds add a slight ease of use to certain shots. 

  • Like 2

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ShortGolfer said:

Constant rain has made a high bounce SW unusable.

Fortunately I have a low bounce 58/6 TS for picking the ball off the mud or wet sand in bunkers.

 

If there is water in a bunker the rules do allow moving the ball without penalty to a dry part of the bunker.

The 2019 rules allow moving the ball back out of the bunker for a 2 stroke penalty--or you could also take a stroke and distance penalty if you see the ball go in the bunker and replay the shot.

I've seen someone just give up and toss the ball out of the bunker.

What....this is the complete opposite of the proper use of the wedge and is inaccurate information as to the proper use of a wedge because in no situation should you be "picking the ball" off of the turf.  The purpose of bounce is to keep the leading edge of wedge above the turf so that it doesn't dig as that is the proper use of the wedge.  Also if the amount of bounce is less than the angle of attack then you you have just created a digging machine because no matter how hard you try you will always introduce the leading edge to the turf thus wedges with less bounce than about 10 or so are pretty pointless of the build design of the wedge with will make it difficult to make your angle of attack less than 10.  

 

15 hours ago, danthegolfer said:

Have been generally underwhelmed with wedge fittings that I have done. The wedge fitting guides online are kind of absurd. "What turf condition do you play, firm or soft?"  Well... it obviously depends on the day!

 

I have very low confidence that my array of wedges is actually any good. I play in all sorts of conditions, different grasses, etc. 


What's your wedge setup, and why? Do you change out wedges based on the conditions you are playing that day? Interested to hear all opinions!

It is better to have bounce and not need it, rather than to need it and not have it available.  I can't think of one situation where a high bounce wedge is at a disadvantage to a low bounce one.  There is not one scenario where you NEED a wedge to dig as that is not how the club was designed to be used.  You are supposed to open the face and expose the bounce and engage the turf prior to the ball on purpose and you should never feel the urge to "pick" the ball off the turf.  

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, as per my usual, I have a bunch of thoughts on this.  Heck, I'm working on a flow chart to try and systematize it a bit better so I can share with everyone.  None of that is ready for prime time yet, but I'll tell you how I'm putting my wedges together for next year. 

 

I mentally separate short game shots into two categories:  

1. Shots I'm trying to hole out as often as I'm going to take 3 to get down.  So I'm trying to average 2.0 strokes to hole out here.  This is a goal, not necessarily a reality, but it helps with making good choices and expectation management.  

2. Shots that have some additional layer(s) of difficulty to them, and as such, I'm trying to hit them to the closest possible "makeable putt distance" (often 8' - 20') while also removing as much of the "disaster potential" from the shot as possible. I'm trying to average about 2.75 strokes to hole out here.  

 

How does that affect my wedge setup you ask?  Well, the overwhelming majority of shots that fall into category #1 are hit with my 55° that has a Callaway "S" grind which allows me the most forgiveness on straightforward chips and pitches that I hit on my course conditions with my preferred technique.  Past that, the overwhelming majority of shots that fall into category #2 are hit with my 58° PM 1.0 that I've added additional heel relief to so that it more closely resembles the OG EYE2 SW/LW grind.  Pulling this club out of the bag means I have to make a mental shift and accept what my realistic expectations are on the following shot.  The grind on this club allows me to alter the loft presented to the ball in all 3 different ways so that I can fit the club into the shot as well as possible and get out of dodge with the best cumulative score possible.  

 

There's a good bit more to it than this, of course, but that's the gist of it.  

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bounce only works for me if there is dry sand or turf to interact with.

If I'm hitting off mud, like a washed out bunker with a high lip, I'm better off picking the ball off the mud with a low bounce wedge.

I've had plenty of practice this year dealing with wet bunkers and trying different wedges to get out.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rsballer10 said:

The fitting tools online are partially to blame as well. Any shot can be played with any grind.

I was just going to ask what people thought of tools like Vokey's selector...lol.

 

A question to the multitude, "How did you figure out that X grind worked for you, but Y grind didn't?"  And were able to separate out that effect from effects caused by bounce, loft, different heads, different shafts?

 

Me, I've a bunch of (Cally) S grind stuff I make work.  All the same bounce, allegedly (measuring loft is a to-do task).  I simply change up swings and gripping styles (chip vs pitch), as well as swing length, grip choke-down, and opening or closing the face, to get the flight/carry/spin where I want it.

 

Is it that you go to a wedge fitting (e.g., Artisan, Vokey, etc...)and run-through all their parameters to figure out a K is awesome, but an F is garbage?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

I was just going to ask what people thought of tools like Vokey's selector...lol.

 

A question to the multitude, "How did you figure out that X grind worked for you, but Y grind didn't?"  And were able to separate out that effect from effects caused by bounce, loft, different heads, different shafts?

 

Me, I've a bunch of (Cally) S grind stuff I make work.  All the same bounce, allegedly (measuring loft is a to-do task).  I simply change up swings and gripping styles (chip vs pitch), as well as swing length, grip choke-down, and opening or closing the face, to get the flight/carry/spin where I want it.

 

Is it that you go to a wedge fitting (e.g., Artisan, Vokey, etc...)and run-through all their parameters to figure out a K is awesome, but an F is garbage?

Me, I've a bunch of (Cally) S grind stuff I make work.  All the same bounce, allegedly (measuring loft is a to-do task).  I simply change up swings and gripping styles (chip vs pitch), as well as swing length, grip choke-down, and opening or closing the face, to get the flight/carry/spin where I want it.

Exactly. No matter what grind you choose - it's how you play the shot that matters...and you can hit any shot with any wedge. The reason the S grind is so popular is because it's pretty good at everything, but specializes in nothing.

 

Is it that you go to a wedge fitting (e.g., Artisan, Vokey, etc...)and run-through all their parameters to figure out a K is awesome, but an F is garbage?

That is why you would go to a fitting. Artisan goes above and beyond what most people need. I've never done a "proper" wedge fitting because I couldn't find anyone who would fit on grass in my area. I would say if you are going to get fitted for wedges, it has to be on the actual course.

  • Like 1

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, danthegolfer said:

Have been generally underwhelmed with wedge fittings that I have done. The wedge fitting guides online are kind of absurd. "What turf condition do you play, firm or soft?"  Well... it obviously depends on the day!

 

I have very low confidence that my array of wedges is actually any good. I play in all sorts of conditions, different grasses, etc. 


What's your wedge setup, and why? Do you change out wedges based on the conditions you are playing that day? Interested to hear all opinions!

Personally, wedge fittings are a silly waste of money.  

 

I play golf in four states, hence turf and sand conditions widely vary.  The key factor for me is diverse bounce.  Thus, my T100 9i & PW have progressive bounce, SM9 Gap/F52'/12' & SM9 M58'/8', I am able to handle any shot or condition.  Also, have a SM9 F48'/10' but it stays at home, since I like the T100 PW.

 

No, I don't change out wedges, just rely on my wedge skills.  Switching out clubs for conditions can be a troublesome pain in the backside.  A buddy does that, his trunk is littered with clubs; looks like a golf flea market.  I can't recount how often he's said, he wished he had a club that's in the trunk...course that's his excuse too. LOL  

  • Like 1
  • TSR2 10° Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60 "S"
  • TSR2 15° Ventus Velo Red 65g "S" 
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 5i MMT 85S
  • T100 6i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113g SW
  • SM9 F52/12 & M58/8, DG S200
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x or AVX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Also if the amount of bounce is less than the angle of attack then you you have just created a digging machine because no matter how hard you try you will always introduce the leading edge to the turf thus wedges with less bounce than about 10 or so are pretty pointless of the build design of the wedge with will make it difficult to make your angle of attack less than 10.

 

I chip a lot of times with a negative angle of attack way higher than my bounce without digging and just brushing the grass. This may be rule for certain types of chips or techniques like a shallower one but don't think it's a concrete rule for all.

 

Saying anything that is <10* bounce pointless is pretty strong considering that the grinds can change the effective bounce of a wedge. Ex. a M grind with 8* bounce can be opened up to higher effective bounce than a S grind at 10* bounce can. 

 

Grinds were made for a specific player and their short game techniques. If you don't mesh with one because it has too low of a bounce and doesn't match up with your technique don't regard it as pointless cause it can work with others. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe if you are a single figure player you can tell the difference but me, I don’t (currently hc25 I think, lowest ever 15). I used to think that I couldn’t play high bounce on the often hard, dry course I used to play on but then someone gave me a sand wedge and it was great. A couple of months later someone asked what bounce it has and turned out to be 12 (I know, what kind of WRXer am I not to know every detail of my clubs..)! I was mighty surprised that I could play it. 
 

I now play Cleveland RTX 9 bounce, in part because they were well priced but also as they don’t mention ‘grinds’, which I don’t know or care about. Keeping it simple..

GOLF20-20MY20CLUBS2023.jpeg.9943a803521cffb36225ef2283ba2cad.jpeg


I really like these Cleveland wedges. Bought them online, no trying out first. 
 

In short, I don’t think it matters much for the (under) average player. 


 

 

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

 

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Glock917 said:

 

I chip a lot of times with a negative angle of attack way higher than my bounce without digging and just brushing the grass. This may be rule for certain types of chips or techniques like a shallower one but don't think it's a concrete rule for all.

 

Saying anything that is <10* bounce pointless is pretty strong considering that the grinds can change the effective bounce of a wedge. Ex. a M grind with 8* bounce can be opened up to higher effective bounce than a S grind at 10* bounce can. 

 

Grinds were made for a specific player and their short game techniques. If you don't mesh with one because it has too low of a bounce and doesn't match up with your technique don't regard it as pointless cause it can work with others. 

1. No you do not, because if you did the wedge would dig into the turf...period. What you are doing is picking the ball off the turf, which is a way to play the shots, but you hinge on disaster because your low point of your swing arc will be much too close to the ball.  Bounce allows you to have your low point of your swing arc a safe distance in front of the ball, yet engage the turf behind it to get the leading edge safely below the equator of the ball, and also keep the leading edge from digging.  

 

2. The reason why I say that is because of the design of a wedge is such that the butt end of the club is out in front of leading edge thus a pretty steep angle of attack is created. You have to work pretty hard by opening up the face quite a bit, exposing the bounce, and also setting the shaft very vertical to overcome this.  Most golfers are scared to open the clubface as it was designed to be used in the first place, and most have much too much forward shaft lean on the shot which greatly effects the amount of bounce available for use. If you look at a protractor you will quickly see that 10* is no much and can easily be overcome by forward shaft lean. 

 

3. Grind options make golfers think they need more wedges than they actually do when altering how much bounce is used on a max bounce wedge would work just fine. Most don't even use wedges as they are prescribed to be used in the first place so the bounce is pointless unless there is a ton of leading edge bounce or camber which most wedges do not have because they are not designed to be struck ball then turf like all other shots being hit off the ground are. You are supposed to engage/"thump" the turf prior to striking the ball and most of the golfing public are simply not aware of this.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

1. No you do not, because if you did the wedge would dig into the turf...period. What you are doing is picking the ball off the turf, which is a way to play the shots, but you hinge on disaster because your low point of your swing arc will be much too close to the ball. 

 

Yes i do haha. The way you're thinking about it is because you think my low point is static but its not my low point is usually 3-4" ahead of the ball so it doesnt dig. Also you try to finish up and left to further prevent that.

 

There are pros who use this style mainly Victor Hovland with the help of Joe Mayo. Look into it you may learn a different type of technique. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

because they are not designed to be struck ball then turf like all other shots being hit off the ground are. You are supposed to engage/"thump" the turf prior to striking the ball and most of the golfing public are simply not aware of this.  

 

That is just one way to chip and pitch. You either use the bounce or the leading edge. But to say bounce is the only way is pretty narrow minded. There are countless pros who had hall of fame careers using the leading edge. If one style fits you that is great but don't discount another technique because you do not jive with it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Glock917 said:

 

Yes i do haha. The way you're thinking about it is because you think my low point is static but its not my low point is usually 3-4" ahead of the ball so it doesnt dig. Also you try to finish up and left to further prevent that.

 

There are pros who use this style mainly Victor Hovland with the help of Joe Mayo. Look into it you may learn a different type of technique. 

What you are describing is called leading edge chipping and pitching, and while it is a way to play the shot, it is not the most efficient way to play the shot. If your low point was 3 or 4 inches in front of the ball as you stated you would skull the shot because the leading would hit above the equator of the ball.  This technique also generates much less spin than the proper technique. You even said yourself that you try to pick the ball off the turf when it should be more like a bunker shot.  I am fully aware of your technique though you appear to not be aware of the proper technique to use the wedge as it was designed. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rsballer10 said:

Love this. Wedge grinds are obviously important for 100% optimization, but shot making/technique around the greens gets you 90+% of the way there.

 

I've got a T grind and the old cleveland xlow grind in my basement collecting rust. While they are fun to play, a M or D grind (mid to high bounce, heel-toe relief) is much more playable. 

 

The fitting tools online are partially to blame as well. Any shot can be played with any grind. It's just some grinds add a slight ease of use to certain shots. 

 

I share the same sentiment (shot making vs optimizing).  Perhaps more academic than anything else, I am just curious how to even approach trying to optimize something like this when there are so many different loft/lie/bounce/grind combinations.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

What....this is the complete opposite of the proper use of the wedge and is inaccurate information as to the proper use of a wedge because in no situation should you be "picking the ball" off of the turf.  The purpose of bounce is to keep the leading edge of wedge above the turf so that it doesn't dig as that is the proper use of the wedge.  Also if the amount of bounce is less than the angle of attack then you you have just created a digging machine because no matter how hard you try you will always introduce the leading edge to the turf thus wedges with less bounce than about 10 or so are pretty pointless of the build design of the wedge with will make it difficult to make your angle of attack less than 10.  

 

It is better to have bounce and not need it, rather than to need it and not have it available.  I can't think of one situation where a high bounce wedge is at a disadvantage to a low bounce one.  There is not one scenario where you NEED a wedge to dig as that is not how the club was designed to be used.  You are supposed to open the face and expose the bounce and engage the turf prior to the ball on purpose and you should never feel the urge to "pick" the ball off the turf.  

 

 

 

I think this illustrates an example of where my experience doesn't align with what the convention is. I see that its very mainstream right now to "use the bounce" and all that. For me, when I'm dealing with "normal" or firm turf that's fine. But I have also had plenty of pitches/chips around soft, wet, grainy, spongy, Bermudagrass where if you don't hit ball first your club is diving into the mud even if the bounce is fully engaged. So that's why I feel the need to "pick" the ball (e.g. hit ball before any turf).

 

If your hypothesis is true (i.e. "You are supposed to open the face and expose the bounce and engage the turf prior to the ball")  then why would anyone purchase low bounce wedges? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

So, as per my usual, I have a bunch of thoughts on this.  Heck, I'm working on a flow chart to try and systematize it a bit better so I can share with everyone.  None of that is ready for prime time yet, but I'll tell you how I'm putting my wedges together for next year. 

 

I mentally separate short game shots into two categories:  

1. Shots I'm trying to hole out as often as I'm going to take 3 to get down.  So I'm trying to average 2.0 strokes to hole out here.  This is a goal, not necessarily a reality, but it helps with making good choices and expectation management.  

2. Shots that have some additional layer(s) of difficulty to them, and as such, I'm trying to hit them to the closest possible "makeable putt distance" (often 8' - 20') while also removing as much of the "disaster potential" from the shot as possible. I'm trying to average about 2.75 strokes to hole out here.  

 

How does that affect my wedge setup you ask?  Well, the overwhelming majority of shots that fall into category #1 are hit with my 55° that has a Callaway "S" grind which allows me the most forgiveness on straightforward chips and pitches that I hit on my course conditions with my preferred technique.  Past that, the overwhelming majority of shots that fall into category #2 are hit with my 58° PM 1.0 that I've added additional heel relief to so that it more closely resembles the OG EYE2 SW/LW grind.  Pulling this club out of the bag means I have to make a mental shift and accept what my realistic expectations are on the following shot.  The grind on this club allows me to alter the loft presented to the ball in all 3 different ways so that I can fit the club into the shot as well as possible and get out of dodge with the best cumulative score possible.  

 

There's a good bit more to it than this, of course, but that's the gist of it.  

 

Fascinating idea. Seems like a great way to wrangle a huge amount of combinations into something usable. If it were flexible enough to handle (pitch v chip),  shot shapes (high, med, low), turf conditions (fairway vs rough,  soft vs mid vs firm) etc. could be really cool!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • 2024 Genesis Invitational - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Genesis Invitational - Monday #1
      2024 Genesis Invitational - Monday #2
      2024 Genesis Invitational - Tuesday #1
      2024 Genesis Invitational - Tuesday #2
      2024 Genesis Invitational - Tuesday #3
      2024 Genesis Invitational - Tuesday #4
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Rory McIlroy - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Sepp Straka - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Patrick Rodgers - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Brendon Todd - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Denny McCarthy - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Corey Conners - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Chase Johnson - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Tiger Woods - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Tommy Fleetwood - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Matt Fitzpatrick - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Si Woo Kim - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Viktor Hovland - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Wyndham Clark - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Cam Davis - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Nick Taylor - WITB - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Ben Baller WITB update (New putter, driver, hybrid and shafts) – 2024 Genesis Invitational
       
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      New Vortex Golf rangefinder - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      New Fujikura Ventus shaft - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Tiger Woods & TaylorMade "Sun Day Red" apparel launch event, product photos – 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Tiger Woods Sun Day Red golf shoes - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Aretera shafts - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      New Toulon putters - 2024 Genesis Invitational
      Tiger Woods' new white "Sun Day Red" golf shoe prototypes – 2024 Genesis Invitational
       
       
       
       
       
      • 22 replies
    • 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Monday #1
      2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Monday #2
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Ben Taylor - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Garrick Higgo - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Billy Horschel - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Justin Lower - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Lanto Griffin - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Bud Cauley - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Corbin Burnes (2021 NL Cy Young) - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Greyson Sigg - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Charley Hoffman - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Nico Echavarria - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Victor Perez - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Sami Valimaki - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Ryo Hisatsune - WITB - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
       
       
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Jake Knapp's custom Cameron putters - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      New Cameron putters - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Tyler Duncan's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Greyson Sigg's custom Cameron putters - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Sunjae Im's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Ping's Waste Management putter covers - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Vincent Whaley's custom Cameron - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Odyssey Waste Management putter covers - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Super Stroke custom grips - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Cameron putters - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Zac Blair's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
      Bettinardi Waste Management putter covers - 2024 Waste Management Phoenix Open
       
       
       
       
       
       

       
      • 12 replies
    • 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am - Tuesday #1
       
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Nick Hardy - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Seamus Power - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Adam Hadwin - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Kurt Kitayama - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Byeong Hun An - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Nicolai Hojgaard - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Sam Burns - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Brandon Wu - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      JT Poston - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Nick Dunlap - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Alex Smalley - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Pau Gasol WITB (2x NBA Champion, 6x All-Star) – 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Josh Allen WITB (NFL Quarterback, Buffalo Bills) – 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Matt Kuchar - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      JJ Spaun - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Adam Svensson - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Adam Scott (mini) - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Taylor Moore - WITB - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Ping putters - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      TaylorMade putters - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Pebble Beach Golf Links (holes 7 & 8) – 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Odyssey putters - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Lucas Glover going to test black Srixon ZX5 & ZX7 irons - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Justin Thomas wrist training aid - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Stephen Sweeney's Putting Ballistic putting training aid - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
      Chris Kirk club changes - 2024 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
       
       
       
       
       
      • 2 replies
    • 2024 Farmers Insurance Open - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      The course was closed all day today (Monday) because of rain so no WITBs today
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Farmers Insurance Open - Tuesday #1
      2024 Farmers Insurance Open - Tuesday #2
      2024 Farmers Insurance Open - Tuesday #3
      2024 Farmers Insurance Open - Tuesday #4
      2024 Farmers Insurance Open - Tuesday #5
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Gary Woodland - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Chris Gotterup - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Ludvig Aberg - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Max Homa - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Chan Kim - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Michael Block - SoCal PGA Section champ - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Hideki Matsuyama - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Collin Morikawa - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Ryan Fox - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Robert MacIntyre - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Ben Griffin - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Matthieu Pavon - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Alejandro Tosti - WITB - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Jason Day WITB – 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Daniel Berger WITB – 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      New 2Thumb grip - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Chesson Hadley's new Cameron putter - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Ben Kohles' new Cameron putter - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Vincent Whaley's new Cameron putter - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Ryo Hisatsune's new Cameron putter - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Cameron putters - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Charley Hoffman - custom Cameron putter - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      TaylorMade Tour X - X3 putter with milled metal insert - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Maverick McNealy's custom Odyssey staff bag - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Ben Baller's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      New LA Golf single bend graphite putter shaft - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      Swag Golf's - Channel 4 Headcovers - 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      L.A. Golf 120-gram prototype putter shaft – 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      L.A. Golf "gold edition" driver shaft – 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
      L.A. Golf prototype putters with new "exotic metal" face insert – 2024 Farmers Insurance Open
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 11 replies
    • 2024 The American Express - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 The American Express - Monday #1
      2024 The American Express - Monday #2
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Carl Yuan - WITB - 2024 The American Express
      Hayden Buckley - WITB - 2024 The American Express
      Parker Coody - WITB - 2024 The American Express
      Pierceson Coody - WITB - 2024 The American Express
      Will Zalatoris - WITB - 2024 The American Express
      Andrew Novak - WITB - 2024 The American Express
      Joe Highsmith - WITB - 2024 The American Express
      Jason Dufner - WITB - 2024 The American Express
      Wyndham Clark - WITB - 2024 The American Express
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      ProTec irons - 2024 The American Express
      New Cameron putters - 2024 The American Express
      New Ping PLD putters - 2024 The American Express
      Rickie Fowler's 3D printed 60* wedge - 2024 The American Express
      Jason Dufner with new putter device - 2024 The American Express
      New Bettinardi putters - 2024 The American Express
      Custom Cameron Putters - 2024 The American Express
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 4 replies

×
×
  • Create New...