Back to Steel?

Yuck

I was a long time X100 player who moved to the standard PX 6.0 as I hit my mid 50’s.  When I reached 60, Tendonitis issues had me switching to Graphite.  I ultimately settled on Steelfiber i95 S.  They were stiff enough and my flight was very much like my old DG.  By then I had lost enough speed, I was clearly not an X100 player any longer.  The change worked and the tendonitis went away.  Unfortunately it has been a bit of a love / hate.  My tendency to lose the ball left has increased to the point I was looking to change.  My tendency to cast or flip got worse and my scoring was impacted.  I currently play TCB’s and on a whim I tried a set of TCB’s with the TI “120”  S400’s. (118 grams)  These are much lighter than my old steel shafts but heavier than the steel fibers.  The s400’s actually feel softer than the i95s and a bit spinnier, but my left miss was gone.  I could work it both ways and my contact was consistently better.  Even though the S400’s feel “soft”, other than spinning higher, my control was good.  I am older and slower, so I am fine with the soft feel.

Two key questions:

For those who have gone back to steel, did your tendonitis return?  How long did it take?

Why would a heavier, softer steel shaft reduce my “lefts” and flipping / casting tendency?

Finally, for those who would suggest trying the 110 gram Steel fiber.  I did do that when initially moving to graphite, but I had swing weighting issues with the “heavy butt” in the steelfiber 110’s.

Edited by Yuck

have you tried some other graphite models in the "tour weight" range 120g similar to S400? Steel fiber wouldn't work because of the counter balance.

Perhaps talk to a fitter and see if they have anything in graphite that fits what you need? Players that learned the game on 130g dynamic gold shafts are always going to struggle timing lighter equipment. 

• Like 4

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

The shafts in your clubs was likely not the reason for your tendonitis in the first place as it was more likely something like your trail arm straightening prior to striking the ball (which is a deal breaker and can't happen because you lose control of the clubface and miss left like you stated) which puts a ton of strain on the elbow over time, and also hitting off of bad mats sitting on concrete, which is equally horrible.  It is more mental in my opinion as shaft also has no effect on the ability to create shot shape.  If you want to play steel, play steel, or vice versa but do yourself a favor in either case and do some physical fitness to keep your body capable and flexible and you will be able to handle the stress that golf puts on the body. Give a bit of extra attention to using a lacrosse ball to prepare the muscles around your elbow such as your forearm, biceps, triceps, and chest muscles and you will greatly reduce the chances of tendonitis.  

I would agree the lighter shaft you don't feel the head and your all over the place.  Personally for me I am not a fan of anything light for iron shafts.  I am 60 and prefer KBS Tour 130X but my elbows, wrists and fingers tell me different. I played Steel Fiber for a while both in 125X and 115FC.  Never got comfortable with them.  Went back to KBS Tour 130x and my elbow issues came back.  

I have moved to MMT 125TX softstepped.  Love them and elbow pain is minimal.  I have 2 other sets one with MMT 125TX inserted normally and a set of MMT 125 Stiff.  That is an ongoing expirement to see if I can increase spin with the stiff.  Minimal gain.

I would try a heavier graphite.  Can't comment on LA Golf or Recoils. Big fan of the MMT in a 125 (not a fan of the 105's for me) so go give them a swing.

Good Luck!

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9 Ventus Velocore Blue 6x Tipped 1 inch

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 wood Ventus Velocore Red TR 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus Velocore Red TR 7x

TaylorMade 2023 P7MB P-5 MMT 125 TX & P7MC 4 MMT 125TX  Soft Stepped

PXG SDII 50(51), SD II Full Face 54 (55) and TM MG4 60 (59)

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat GSS

1 hour ago, Yuck said:

I was a long time X100 player who moved to the standard PX 6.0 as I hit my mid 50’s.  When I reached 60, Tendonitis issues had me switching to Graphite.  I ultimately settled on Steelfiber i95 S.  They were stiff enough and my flight was very much like my old DG.  By then I had lost enough speed, I was clearly not an X100 player any longer.  The change worked and the tendonitis went away.  Unfortunately it has been a bit of a love / hate.  My tendency to lose the ball left has increased to the point I was looking to change.  My tendency to cast or flip got worse and my scoring was impacted.  I currently play TCB’s and on a whim I tried a set of TCB’s with the TI “120”  S400’s. (118 grams)  These are much lighter than my old steel shafts but heavier than the steel fibers.  The s400’s actually feel softer than the i95s and a bit spinnier, but my left miss was gone.  I could work it both ways and my contact was consistently better.  Even though the S400’s feel “soft”, other than spinning higher, my control was good.  I am older and slower, so I am fine with the soft feel.

Two key questions:

For those who have gone back to steel, did your tendonitis return?  How long did it take?

Why would a heavier, softer steel shaft reduce my “lefts” and flipping / casting tendency?

Finally, for those who would suggest trying the 110 gram Steel fiber.  I did do that when initially moving to graphite, but I had swing weighting issues with the “heavy butt” in the steelfiber 110’s.

Just want to say best of luck going back.  I had to make the switch to graphite last year because of tendinitis.  I'm 41 and was always a 120-130g X stiff player and now an in an 85g S Programm shafts and will never look back.

I was down my moms visiting over the weekend and stumbled in the garage where my brothers clubs are.  He has some big bertha clones with some steel shafts and I decided to hit a couple balls in to the field behind her house.  3 solid hits with the steel irons and I felt them from my hands up to my elbows.  I'll be sticking with graphite. lol

• Like 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

1 hour ago, Righty to Lefty said:

The shafts in your clubs was likely not the reason for your tendonitis in the first place as it was more likely something like your trail arm straightening prior to striking the ball (which is a deal breaker and can't happen because you lose control of the clubface and miss left like you stated) which puts a ton of strain on the elbow over time, and also hitting off of bad mats sitting on concrete, which is equally horrible.  It is more mental in my opinion as shaft also has no effect on the ability to create shot shape.  If you want to play steel, play steel, or vice versa but do yourself a favor in either case and do some physical fitness to keep your body capable and flexible and you will be able to handle the stress that golf puts on the body. Give a bit of extra attention to using a lacrosse ball to prepare the muscles around your elbow such as your forearm, biceps, triceps, and chest muscles and you will greatly reduce the chances of tendonitis.  

Thank you.  Interestingly enough I am in a lot better shape now than I was in my mid 50’s.  Retirement allows plenty of time for exercise.  I never had pain issues when I was a desk bound, inactive 290+ pounder.  Youth is a miracle.  Now I weigh 255, (my Army weight at 20 years old was 225-230, so I have a ways to go.)  I have stamina, but age has made me injury prone.  My Chubby, 55 year old self was bullet proof injury wise.  I am probably just paying for my past sins now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScottyGolf said:

I would agree the lighter shaft you don't feel the head and your all over the place.  Personally for me I am not a fan of anything light for iron shafts.  I am 60 and prefer KBS Tour 130X but my elbows, wrists and fingers tell me different. I played Steel Fiber for a while both in 125X and 115FC.  Never got comfortable with them.  Went back to KBS Tour 130x and my elbow issues came back.  

I have moved to MMT 125TX softstepped.  Love them and elbow pain is minimal.  I have 2 other sets one with MMT 125TX inserted normally and a set of MMT 125 Stiff.  That is an ongoing expirement to see if I can increase spin with the stiff.  Minimal gain.

I would try a heavier graphite.  Can't comment on LA Golf or Recoils. Big fan of the MMT in a 125 (not a fan of the 105's for me) so go give them a swing.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice.  I had tried recoils, but the F4 felt like buggy whips compared to the Steel fiber.  I have not tried the heavy MMT yet, and I do not have TX speed anymore, but Soft stepped, it sounds like a good option.

Edited by Yuck

Long time S300 user, that "thought" I should go lighter and graphite at 57. I never really had any pain issues, but was starting to feel some fatigue at the end of my rounds.

Spent 3 years of very inconsistent golf with the 95g graphite. Some good rounds, and a lot of very bad rounds.

Decided to go heavier, with the intention of finding some 120g graphite, but found an incredible deal on AMT X100's, and bought them instead. Only got 4 rounds in before the season ended, but iron play was the best it's been in a long time. I'm turning 60 in 2 months, and plan on doing speed training and working out all winter. I'll see next year if I can handle the AMT's all season. Because I soft stepped them twice, the 4 iron only weighs about 105g, so I'm hoping to avid the fatigue I was seeing with the old 130g S300's. But still have 130g wedges, which seems to have made a big difference in my consistency. If they don't work out, I'll be looking for some 120-125g graphite to move into.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

@Yuck I’m the same age group,66, and also tried graphite.  Aaaaand hated it.

My suggestion is whichever steel shaft works best for you and use the ProSoft inserts to dampen vibration.

https://www.golfworks.com/prosoft-shaft-dampening-inserts/p/ps5003/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAvJarBhA1EiwAGgZl0BkrSF34uWIt3DbKdMeo5DLc-sN8f2hhAno_Gg_bXybUYNEG_6trmhoC5WoQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TS3 strong 3w 13.5° PX HZRDUS black 70g

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

The unique profile of the Modus 120 has me making the change - I am going to steel this year for the first time in 10+ years.  I am 40 and initially made the change due to elbow and wrist issues.  Those issues have subsided enough over the years that taking a chance on the shaft that feels the best and matches my timing the best is worth it. 

I will be hitting indoors off mats for the next few months so, should know by the time the season rolls around if the graphite is required at all anymore. Worst case, try some new shafts in the spring.

• TSI 3 - 9* - RDX Smoke Blue - 6.0
  • TS3 - 16.5* - GD DI Black - 8S
  • TSI 2 Hybrid - 19* - Ventus Blue - 9X
  • TSR 2 Hybrid - 23* - Ventus Blue - 10X
  • ZX 4 Iron - 23* - GD Utility Black - 95S
  • T150 - 5 Iron - Modus 120S Black
  • T100 - 6 thru GW - Modus 120S Black
  • SM9 - 55* D - ACCRA i Wedge - 130g
  • WW - LB 60* ACCRA i Wedge - 130g
  • SC - Squareback - Long Plumbers Neck (Embrace)

I’m never going back. Graphite cured my elbow quickly and when I hit steel shafts I can just feel that extra vibration. I have no desire to relapse. There are plenty of graphite options in every weight imaginable. 

You definitely need to tip weight Steelfiber 110 as it swing weights light. 

You should go hit some mid-weight graphite shafts to compare. Or just keep using S400 until elbow pain returns and then go test various graphite shafts. 

One last thing you could try - a strip of lead tape down the back of the shaft. You can either center it on the shaft or apply to desired swingweight. You can experiment with different weights this way. 

Srixon ZX5 9* driver: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Ping G410 2h, 3h, 4h: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Srixon ZX7 5-PW: Recoil 95 (HS + lead tape)
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58: Recoil 110
Rife Cayman (+tungsten powder)
Srixon Z-Star Diamond

A few seasons ago I switched into graphite throughout the bag to try to help my elbow issues. They went away so I figured good, they are going so I can go back to steel.  Went back to steel and within a few weeks the pain was back. That was my last time using steel and haven’t had any issues since I went to graphite permanently. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I’m never going back. Graphite cured my elbow quickly and when I hit steel shafts I can just feel that extra vibration. I have no desire to relapse. There are plenty of graphite options in every weight imaginable. 

You definitely need to tip weight Steelfiber 110 as it swing weights light. 

You should go hit some mid-weight graphite shafts to compare. Or just keep using S400 until elbow pain returns and then go test various graphite shafts. 

One last thing you could try - a strip of lead tape down the back of the shaft. You can either center it on the shaft or apply to desired swingweight. You can experiment with different weights this way. 

this is why I really liked the MMT was due to the weight distribution and much easier to get desired swing weights.  I had lead tape all over anything else that had Steel Fibers.  Thought the weight with PXG was the answer with SF.  Others liked it I didn't.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 9 Ventus Velocore Blue 6x Tipped 1 inch

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 wood Ventus Velocore Red TR 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus Velocore Red TR 7x

TaylorMade 2023 P7MB P-5 MMT 125 TX & P7MC 4 MMT 125TX  Soft Stepped

PXG SDII 50(51), SD II Full Face 54 (55) and TM MG4 60 (59)

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat GSS

I’ve been playing recoils for a few years now and my elbow pain completely went away literally first round after the switch. 

I went from PX6.0 to 5.5 to Recoil 110 F4. I recently decided I wanted to restart my i20 irons and since I no longer have a garage, I decided against pulling the Recoils to use. I grabbed my old set of PX5.5 and threw them in. I’m playing tomorrow, so we shall see how the elbow feels. I will say, when I was having elbow issues, I was also playing a few rounds per week. As of today, I haven’t played in 2 months and I’ve only played 4 rounds since April. I’m hoping the infrequent play means the elbow pain won’t come back. If it does, I have another set of irons with recoils I can pull, I just don’t really want to mess with it. 

7 hours ago, Yuck said:

Two key questions:

Increasing shaft weight and or swing weight can mask flipping/casting and improve other issues; depends on the swing.  Heavier makes the swing more deliberate though transition, least that's what it does for my fast tempo & transition.  Reason I have been mulling 124g Modus 130S

Shaft weight, SW and where the shaft bends, influences how we swing the club.  If you had tendonitis once using steel, switched to graphite, it went away; going back to steel, more than likely it will return.  All depends on your arm strength.  When I switched from PX 6.0 (15+yrs) to composite in 2018, I started with i110cw stiff and i125cw stiff in wedges, lasted 2+yrs before switching to MMT. 

Back then my builder had no problem getting my D2 3i-9i, PW D4, Gap D6 and LW E0.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58g
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD 80g 
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90g
  • T100 3i & 5i MMT 85g
  • T100 6i to PW MMT 105g
  • SM9 F52/12 & M58/8, DG S200 127g
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

After a long bout with tendonitis in my left arm, I switched to MMT 105TX (weigh 115g) in 770's from Project X extra stiff in TM 790's. I liked the PX and hit them well, if a bit low. I went into a fitting earlier this year thinking about graphite and ended up with this new set. I actually hit farther with this combo but find the same issues you have. On a mat, I can control them well, on grass I feel like I am all over the place. I hit my same irons in steel the other day trying to decide if I should go back, and find that I'm at least 10 yards shorter than I was with the 790's, which is about right. My arm is mostly better, with my biggest problem being that I now have a sim in my house and play 18 almost every day. I need more time on course to decide how I feel about these. I was dead nuts on a given flight window with the steel, if I flush the graphite, I can be 20 or more yards long. It's frustrating. I'm only 48, but have broken a bunch of stuff and had a bunch of stuff repaired. with the new advents in graphite, I do think they are awesome. 

Edited by _chris

On 11/28/2023 at 6:32 AM, ScottyGolf said:

Good Luck!

I too have dropped steel (Nippon 1150gh) and went to graphite.  I went up in stiffness and weight because even though I'm older, I've lost weight and gotten stronger, so I went with MMT125TX.  I should have butt trimmed them another 3/8-1/2", but I'm finding I can choke down on them and achieve similar success.   I have mainly been doing range sessions due to a crappy schedule lately, but since I had not practiced much all summer with a long run of over 105* heat that made playing more comfortable than practicing, it was probably long overdue for me to concentrate on that anyway.

• Like 1

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to -1 / N
  • Titleist 917F3 3W (13.5°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X stiff shaft - A1 setting
  • Callaway Super Hybrid with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - Set to -1 / N
  • Mizuno Pro 223 Irons (2* upright) - 4-PW - Mitsubishi MMT125TX Shafts (+1")
  • Vokey SM9 Jet Black Raw (50°F10 / 55°F10 / 60°M08) +1/2 / 2° up with X100 Tour Issue Onyx shafts
  • Lamkin ST Hybrid grips on all (midsize)
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Lamkin Deep Etched Paddle Putter Grip
  • Balls: Mostly Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, or Srixon Q Star Tour

I preemptively went to Recoil 125 Protos to avoid any hell on my elbows with the amount of range & course time I put in. Love them and won't be going back to steel for anything. They're 120g shafts so I had no issue moving to them from the DGs I used to play. If you need steel weight then just choose Recoils, Axioms, or any of the other great offerings that come in 115-125g options. I'm sure as more people come see to the benefits on their body and dispersion numbers with the newer graphite offerings more will take the plunge and forget steel is even a thing. I'm honestly surprised not to already see more Tour & college players taken the plunge for the potential dispersion benefits alone. 

I hit the Nippon 950GH now with pro soft inserts. Makes all the difference in the world. 
Not sure what ball you hit, but I go with the softest I can find. Usually chrome or a Wilson Duo. I feel that ball softness has a lot more to do with this than we think.

I made the switch to graphite irons shaft about 11 yrs ago (61 now). I had golfers elbow so bad I couldn't hold a coffee cup! After a lot of testing, I settled on the RIP Tour SLT 115 and never looked back. I also have some Recoil Proto 125 F4s, Matrix Program 130s and some SF i110 R that are okey. Nothing compares to the RIPs though. I sure wish Aldila would bring them back!!!

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Great discussion. 62, previously a long time DG300S player. I went to SF i95S about 6 years ago. I understand a lot of what people are saying with the change. I have a backup set of clubs still in DG300, and love them everytime I play. I was beginning to question the switch, and then did some work on swingweight, adding a little lead tape to the heads. Made a subtle change in the feel that I like a lot. I don't really have any major issue with the SF, just was looking for a feel closer to my backup set. Still debating steel on my next set, but I believe the arthritis in my thumbs may not like it much.

I have tried the MMT's and loved them, just pretty damn pricey. I'd like to try the velocore irons shafts. Anyone hit those yet?

• Like 1

I’ve recently made the switch to graphite in the last 2 yrs. Been a 115-125g steel guy most of my golf life and was starting to get elbow/hand pain plus bad knees and back wanted something to help with all that. Picked up a cheap set of Recoil 110 in F5 (xstiff) after playing a 110f4 in a driving iron. The f4 felt too soft, but the F5 was perfect feel wise. Played the irons in 22 but wasn’t exactly the perfect combo…so this year got a new set of clubs and went to a slightly heavier shaft Fuji Pro Tour 115i in stiff. So far they’ve been great and helped with the elbow issues. Messed with a back up set of clubs with steel a few weeks ago and noticed elbow pain again, so all graphite going forward. Just gotta figure the head I want and narrow down the shaft. I know my wheelhouse is the 115-120g weight though. Keeps me in time and everything. 

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (10.5d) - Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6s 

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - UST Lin-Q M40X Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Project X Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Darkness (6-G) - Fuji Pro 115i TS
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Proto 125 F4 w      
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi Rev 2.0 

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

On 11/28/2023 at 7:32 AM, ScottyGolf said:

I generally prefer steel and my flirtations with graphite have yet to prompt a fulltime switch. I was lukewarm on the lighter versions of the MMT 125 but I agree with this take and say OP may want to give the MMT a try at 125g. Don’t know why it is, but I tend to like the feel and balance of heavier shafts more than the lighter versions. When they go lighter something is lost in the overall feel. So to me, the MMT 125 is much better than the 105, doesn’t even feel like the same shaft to me. The 20g of weight makes a difference. These are tight shafts, feel very much in control. More to my liking than Recoils. I also did have a set of irons with the LA Golf 120g L series and those felt dead. Moved those quickly. 

MMT 125 does not feel heavy and it does not have that boardy feel that a lot of graphite iron designs have in their efforts to not feel loose. MMT 125 feels lively, but also stable and never loose. Excellent through impact. As much as I found MMT 105 to be just okay, the 125 I liked immediately and it will be getting a lengthy tryout this winter. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

62 years old.   Two joint replacements but still in good shape.   Put graphite into play seriously when my shoulder became arthritic in 2017-18.   Had it replaced.   Put Recoil 680 F-4 in Maltby Ts-2 when TS-2 they first came out.   Really good results.   I had put in AXE Original Red graphite in Maltby MMB a s early as 2014?   Then the AXE Tour X shafts in MTE.   Both were good- but not great fit.   I went back and forth to KBS Tour and FST Pro 115 until the above move.  

This year-- Maltby TS-3 in AXE Rapid Taper- 95 gram- reg flex hardstepped once.   REALLY GOOD.   

I am going to final cut and grip my newest graphite adventure SOON.    Aldila NV 75-S in 5-6,  NV 85 in 7-8-9, NV 95 in PW, GW.   

FWIW -- I have fit MANY people into graphite.  My assistant golf coach of 17 years who is 15 years younger than I am just went to graphite-- Steelfiber 95.   I hit them and really liked them.  He is convinced..

Good luck finding your weight and feel..  I am still tinkering..  probably always will 

• Like 1

Stuart, Howard and many others here have repeatedly made the point that Swingweight does not apply well to modern day shafts. Yet, it remains the standard for weighting from virtually EVERY builder. We've seen many threads where a fitter has put a player into a swingweight much higher than the THINK they need and are almost immediately discredited because of it. Yet we find that many also have to add more head weight when moving from steel to graphite in irons when focusing on the swing-feel of the club. I play with a guy who has steel shafted irons and he has tried my graphite shafted irons but swears they are way too heavy for him to swing. Yet his steel shafted irons feel fine to me. Slightly lighter than mine, but manageable. I have become a firm believer in MOI matching since getting my MOI Auditor. I have an old set of Wilson Staffs with OG Dynamic shafts which once I matched the MOI to all my other sets, play great! Different tech and somewhat different total weight but very similar swing-feel.

Food for thought.

BT

• Like 1

OP, IMHO, you cannot plan on going back to steel shafts without experiencing problems again. Heck, I can just chip with some old steel-shafted wedges around my house, and I feel it afterwards. Truth is, I was miserable and near surgery in my 30s and early 40s playing steel shafts (elbows and rotator cuff in particular), and can now play more regularly and pain-free in my 50s with graphite shafts. And I just don't see any performance difference between a steel counterpart (say Modus 105) vs graphite counterpart (say Recoil Dart 105, MMT 105, etc.).

If you are not entirely pleased with the SF i95, you need to try other options. Those are great shafts, but I find them fickle due to their lower weight and stoutness. For me, my sweet spot is that 105-110g range, Recoil Dart 105, MMT 105, SF i110. Catalyst 100 was a great shaft, but I don't believe it is produced anymore.

Anyway, my advice is keep at it. You'll find a graphite option that works great for you, and it will literally save your body and your game. Good luck.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, Graphite Design Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway Mavrik SZ TC 4 Wood, Graphite Design Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid, UST Recoil Dart 75 F4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, UST Recoil Dart 75H F4

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

On 11/28/2023 at 6:26 AM, Righty to Lefty said:

As someone who has struggled with tendonitis in my forearms my entire life, and who has seen multiple medical professionals and trainers over the years to deal with the problem, I can guarantee you "physical fitness" is not some magical cure-all, especially when it comes to the shocks associated with hitting steel shafts. For me, and a lot of others, graphite shafts are a game changer that allow me to enjoy a sport I'm otherwise unable to play due to this issue. 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 8:20 AM, shankasaurus rex said:

As someone who has struggled with tendonitis in my forearms my entire life, and who has seen multiple medical professionals and trainers over the years to deal with the problem, I can guarantee you "physical fitness" is not some magical cure-all, especially when it comes to the shocks associated with hitting steel shafts. For me, and a lot of others, graphite shafts are a game changer that allow me to enjoy a sport I'm otherwise unable to play due to this issue. 

You didn't have the issue your whole life though...you developed it over time through a physical weakness that exposed itself over time and the problem got out of hand thus physical therapy was less effective. Graphite shafts transmit plenty of vibration to the body or people would say they have no feel and wouldn't play them.

Hitting golf balls off of mats sitting on concrete is orders of magnitude worse and I bet you hit tens/hundreds of thousands of balls off of crap mats sitting on concrete? If you stop doin that alone I bet your body will thank you. I lived this both right and left handed and refusing to hit off hard mats sitting on concrete literally saved my elbows, wrists, and shoulders, and low back from certain surgery.  That being said...a set of rubber tees, continued physical therapy, and time eliminated all ailments where graphite shafts made no difference in regards to my pain personally.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

You didn't have the issue your whole life though...you developed it over time through a physical weakness that exposed itself over time and the problem got out of hand thus physical therapy was less effective. Graphite shafts transmit plenty of vibration to the body or people would say they have no feel and wouldn't play them.

Hitting golf balls off of mats sitting on concrete is orders of magnitude worse and I bet you hit tens/hundreds of thousands of balls off of crap mats sitting on concrete? If you stop doin that alone I bet your body will thank you. I lived this both right and left handed and refusing to hit off hard mats sitting on concrete literally saved my elbows, wrists, and shoulders, and low back from certain surgery.  That being said...a set of rubber tees, continued physical therapy, and time eliminated all ailments where graphite shafts made no difference in regards to my pain personally.

Reading is fundamental. I have literally had this issue my entire life. That's not hyperbole. I have dealt with it since childhood. I've been to doctors, therapists, etc. Certain acts simply affect the condition in a way that I can't control without heavy anti-inflammatories that have serious side effects with long-term use. Hitting steel shafts was one of those things, and I was going to have to stop playing if I didn't find a solution, as the ones I have learned over a LIFETIME of dealing with this issue weren't working.

The problem, for me, exists whether I hit off mats or not. Grass was just as bad, if not worse. After seeing it suggested here, and by more than one club fitter, switching to graphite shafts made an immediate, noticeable difference in this issue. I don't fully understand why, and don't care. It worked, as it has clearly done for others here. Read the other posts here and elsewhere.

I understand your issue was different, but please don't assume what worked for you will automatically work for everyone. Your assumptions here are simply incorrect. Stay on the porch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Righty to Lefty said:

You make a great point! It's only natural that we loose our edge physically as we become older. However, I can tell you from personal experience, it can happen no matter how fit you are. At 61, I can still lift what most 35-40 yr olds can (if not more), Walk further and do 140lb on a hand dynamometer with ease. I still had major issues playing steel shafts that no amount of PT would resolve. I ONLY found relief when I went to graphite. And, yes, mats are brutal and about the only thing available in New England. But I currently hit about 500 balls a week (summer of course) off of them with no pain problems. So, graphite works great and will also feel great if you just get the weighting right for your swing.

BT

• Like 3