Why is TXG/Club Champion so against the golf ball rollback?

nikegolfer93

Why are the guys at TXG/Club Champion so against the the golf ball roll back?

They could still sell and rest the non-nerfed version of the ProVs

TM SIM 8* Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TS2 16.5* Ventus Black 7x

Mizuno MP-32 3-PW S300

Titleist Vokey SM6 52*F, 56*F, 60*S
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 34/340g

13 minutes ago, nikegolfer93 said:

Why are the guys at TXG/Club Champion so against the the golf ball roll back?

They could still sell and rest the non-nerfed version of the ProVs

Until the manufacturers stop making it. But if you want to know it’s probably fbe same reason multiple people are explaining in thread right above this one about the rollback 

• Like 3

Eh...it's the opinion of two guys, Ian and Mike.  Who also are going down a path right now to increase speed and go after distance.  So yes, they don't want the ball rolled back.  I'm a bit bummed they haven't stayed a bit nuetral, and used this as an opportunity to expand on ball testing.  

Last year Mike made fun of 7-woods in various podcasts.  Last week they just fit him into one, and he built himself a 7-wood.  So opinions change.

I think people really deep into the weeds of golf equipment, tend to be very late to adopting trends and new ideas.  Probably because they have seen so many come and go, but also because "serious" golfers tend to think they need to hit blades, and 4-irons, and stiff 130g shafts, and fast balls for ego purposes.  

• Like 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+ (Bassara W45)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Mizuno T-zoid Fli-Hi 21* (Adams Ultralight 50g Ladies)

Bridgestone J33 Forged 4-PW  (Reax 55 A-Flex)

Cleveland CBX Full Face 64*

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

11 minutes ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

Ian used to work at Taylormade. He’s friends with most the equipment reps. 

If you used to work for big oil, spent your days with oil lobbyists, and sold oil, what your opinion on oil be?

So you're saying he's just protecting "Big Golf Club"? 

But like others said just opinion, there are several and this is theirs for now. 

• Like 1

Lefty

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | No idea, new driver time. 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

WITB Thread

It kind of shows how all the practice, club fitting , tech, and physical conditioning , they market is going to fall on  deaf ears when the ball rollback is enacted. Hard to sell innovation, when you have declining results.

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

48 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

So you're saying he's just protecting "Big Golf Club"? 

But like others said just opinion, there are several and this is theirs for now. 

There's something to be said about the club manufacturers reluctancy to make different versions of clubs for ams or pros to take advantage of one or more golf balls and etc.

This decision opens up a whole can of worms and those with power int he golf industry will have the influence.

In regards to TXG/CC - their business model thrives on people seeing better results. How do you think people will react when they go in for a fitting down the road after the new ball is implemented and their numbers are WORSE? lol "Sorry theres a new golf ball and you'll never hit it as far like you used to". Yeah that'll go over well and really make them $$$ 😂

• Like 4

PARA STDTOUR TC  9.8°@10.8 + CQ6 MAV MAXTC 13.5° + CQ6 / MAV STDTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / Futura 5W 

31 minutes ago, txbadger said:

the case for the rollback is weak and unnecessary.   Does it really matter if scores are lower?  That driving distance is longer?  Does anyone really expect that the scores or game should remain the same from Ben Hogans day?  Being for more rules to restrict progress because of some misguided notion that it is going to be better for the future of golf is concerning.     

Was this question unnecessary and irrelevant? 

Family Feud Survey Says GIF - Family Feud Survey Says Strike - Discover &  Share GIFs

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Was this question unnecessary and irrelevant? 

One of the past comments from someone at the USGA (or maybe it was R&A) mentioned that any rule they would implement would be to protect the game of golf so that it resembles the same game that prior champions of golf would recognize (or something like that).   Not sure why it offended you so much. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, txbadger said:

One of the past comments from someone at the USGA (or maybe it was R&A) mentioned that any rule they would implement would be to protect the game of golf so that it resembles the same game that prior champions of golf would recognize (or something like that).   Not sure why it offended you so much. 

Nothing offended me.  It's a fact the outward presence of golf and present day game is nothing like it was when Ben Hogan played. 

However, what could possibly offend me and others if someone was called names for wearing unusual clothes, or be thought of differently for selling farm and feed supplies or if a guy called Dalessandro was frequently referred to as Rickie. 

I mean I have mixed feelings, but they are fitters with a view on this. Its not a big deal ether way, this isn't an life or death issue. 

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Hybrid: Nike Slingshot 5 (26 degrees)

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW Or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Almost always  Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Sometimes: 60s Ben Hogan Sure Out , 69 Wilson Staff Fluid Feel 8 Iron at PW length , 1958 Reissue Wilson Staff SW (55) , Ping Eye 2 Green Dot W (50)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade or various older Ping blades. 

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

In regards to TXG/CC - their business model thrives on people seeing better results. How do you think people will react when they go in for a fitting down the road after the new ball is implemented and their numbers are WORSE? lol "Sorry theres a new golf ball and you'll never hit it as far like you used to". Yeah that'll go over well and really make them $$$ 

This is a succinct and lucid explanation. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 17.75* - LIN-Q Blue

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 21.5* - PX U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Maltby MAX Milled 58*

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I keep hearing the reasoning is they are running out of space is why the Rollback is being pushed, I learned at an early age to follow the money? maybe it's not about the ball, the game, or anything related to golf, maybe the land is more valuable to be developed or sub divided rather than keep as golf courses, especially with all the talk of players joining other tours, equipment maxing out, etc.?

I'm not buying this but we shall see.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Nothing offended me.  It's a fact the outward presence of golf and present day game is nothing like it was when Ben Hogan played. 

However, what could possibly offend me and others if someone was called names for wearing unusual clothes, or be thought of differently for selling farm and feed supplies or if a guy called Dalessandro was frequently referred to as Rickie. 

Name some things that we use today that are still similar to their version in the 1950s. Not a whole lot hasn't changed in the past 50 years so why should we expect the game of golf to stay the same?

2 hours ago, txbadger said:

the case for the rollback is weak and unnecessary.   Does it really matter if scores are lower?  That driving distance is longer?  Does anyone really expect that the scores or game should remain the same from Ben Hogans day?  Being for more rules to restrict progress because of some misguided notion that it is going to be better for the future of golf is concerning.     

What exactly is the case for the rollback?  What benefits are the pro-rollback crowd proposing would be experienced?  Can you articulate this misguided notion you speak of?

It's because they've all been selling the distance game for so long, improved distances with new clubs etc - 

now they would have to re-formulate all their numbers down, and they will have a hard time trying to sell "improvements" because all of a sudden, say, one of their former customers walk into their shop, and the guy just got fit in 2028 with the current balls, now they will walk into a shop in 2030 and see that their distances go down LMAO - NOT a good selling point! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smashdn said:

What exactly is the case for the rollback?  What benefits are the pro-rollback crowd proposing would be experienced?  Can you articulate this misguided notion you speak of?

AFAIK the case for rollback is to reign in the increases in shot length (drives, successful long approach shots, etc...).   Some of the arguments speak to how scores have gotten lower, or the challenges of existing courses and how they are playing shorter, combined with new course designs being longer, etc...   It is misguided because the game of golf (like many other sports) change as technology and/or training gets better, it isn't a new concept or something to be feared.   If the goal is to protect the future of golf, can someone explain how exactly this rollback accomplishes that?

Will it affect me and my golf game?.... meh.. not really.   On a good round I might hit one or two 300+ yard drives, so maybe with new ball I never see another 300 yard drive... not a big deal.  TBF, by the time the rule is in actually in place who knows if I'll have that kind of distance anymore anyway.    The point is, in my view, that this is a solution to a non existent problem. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maine Golfer said:

I mean I have mixed feelings, but they are fitters with a view on this. Its not a big deal ether way, this isn't an life or death issue. 

lol... I don't think anyone thinks it is a life or death issue.   If that is all we can discuss here, might as well shut this site down pronto!      

2 minutes ago, Frank Newport said:

Literally. 

Rubber, butyl and or composite grips.

Dimple pattern balls.

Use sand for bunkers.

The game is played with rules, because without rules, we live with the animals.

Match play.

Cyanoacrylates used for club construction.

Clubs called woods despite a lack of wood.  

Steel shafts.

Club faces with grooves.

18 holes constitutes a "full round." 

Shoes that provide anti-twist technology.

Club covers. 

Long pants to be worn in professional events.

4 majors.

Prize money as an award for professional wins.

Sport specific clothing considered, "golf wear."

Motorized golf carts.

Etc. 

PS.  50% of all women prefer golfers to men of all other sports.

• Haha 2

I mean how many threads do we need? For every public golf figure who has a view, one thread per figure? 

• Like 4

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Hybrid: Nike Slingshot 5 (26 degrees)

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW Or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Almost always  Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Sometimes: 60s Ben Hogan Sure Out , 69 Wilson Staff Fluid Feel 8 Iron at PW length , 1958 Reissue Wilson Staff SW (55) , Ping Eye 2 Green Dot W (50)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade or various older Ping blades. 

6 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Rubber, butyl and or composite grips.

Dimple pattern balls.

Use sand for bunkers.

The game is played with rules, because without rules, we live with the animals.

Match play.

Cyanoacrylates used for club construction.

Clubs called woods despite a lack of wood.  

Steel shafts.

Club faces with grooves.

18 holes constitutes a "full round." 

Shoes that provide anti-twist technology.

Club covers. 

Long pants to be worn in professional events.

4 majors.

Prize money as an award for professional wins.

Sport specific clothing considered, "golf wear."

Motorized golf carts.

Etc. 

PS.  50% of all women prefer golfers to men of all other sports.

They've all changed dramatically, except for the women, of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RHenderson said:

I learned at an early age to follow the money?

Yes, follow the money. I wonder if that is why all the companies who make golf balls and the players that are paid to shill for said companies are against it (and by extension club fitters like TXG that sell customers on maximizing golf equipment, primarily distance)? 🤔

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 17.75* - LIN-Q Blue

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 21.5* - PX U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Maltby MAX Milled 58*

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

23 hours ago, subrew said:

Eh...it's the opinion of two guys, Ian and Mike.  Who also are going down a path right now to increase speed and go after distance.  So yes, they don't want the ball rolled back.  I'm a bit bummed they haven't stayed a bit nuetral, and used this as an opportunity to expand on ball testing.  

Last year Mike made fun of 7-woods in various podcasts.  Last week they just fit him into one, and he built himself a 7-wood.  So opinions change.

I think people really deep into the weeds of golf equipment, tend to be very late to adopting trends and new ideas.  Probably because they have seen so many come and go, but also because "serious" golfers tend to think they need to hit blades, and 4-irons, and stiff 130g shafts, and fast balls for ego purposes.  

I think you're missing the global implications of this rollback and why it's angering so many golfers.  The bifurcation of the game is NOT what many of us want, regardless of what "item" in the bag you want to roll back for "pro's" only.  

12 minutes ago, clinkinfo said:

I think you're missing the global implications of this rollback and why it's angering so many golfers.  The bifurcation of the game is NOT what many of us want, regardless of what "item" in the bag you want to roll back for "pro's" only.  

I'm not missing any of that.  There is a 9 million page thread on this forum talking about it.  This thread doesn't need to be another one.  I watch a fair bit of TXG, so I see what Ian and Mike discuss.  They often take a stance on topics that is pretty conservative golf standard issue.  Then a year later, things change, it wasn't as bad as they thought etc.  

And FYI, bifurcation isn't part of it anymore.  OEMs said no thanks to the MLR, so they have moved on to a reduced ball for everyone.  That was in the news a few months back.  In fact, that is part of what Rory's very recent comments (yesterday) discussed.  

So you are in luck.  If you hated the idea of a rollback because of bifurcation, you don't need to be concerned anymore.

• Like 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+ (Bassara W45)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Mizuno T-zoid Fli-Hi 21* (Adams Ultralight 50g Ladies)

Bridgestone J33 Forged 4-PW  (Reax 55 A-Flex)

Cleveland CBX Full Face 64*

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter