Thoughts on Titleist

kekoa

Everyone knows their ball, but I have zero experience with Titleist clubs especially the new models.   I'm really curious how the drivers/ fwys stack up in terms of distance compared to the other oem's.  We met a rep recently who offered to set a bag up for us to try, but I have no idea where to even start.  We would get fit prior, but what clubs out of the current line up would be most comparable to the below:  

Current Bag:

TM Stealth 2 Driver

Stealth 2 fwys

4-5 Stealth 2 Hybrids

6-7 P7MC

8-pw P7MB

MG4 Wedges

Thanks for any input.  

I have the TSR3, T-100 irons, and Scotty golo 6 putter. All are outstanding.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Blue 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x Left Dash, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS, Mizuno Tour RB

I'm super biased. So try them out yourself. The TSR line was a hit this year. Very long when you find the right fitting shaft, surefit ect. Irons I haven't tried anything since the 718 line. Scotty and vokey have been consistent and predictable over the years, usually what fits your eye. I'm a big feel player so I need feedback on where I'm hitting it. As I'm not playing much I've also found they have great offerings for a player who need some forgiveness. 

TSR3 was the driver of the year for many reviewers and was in basically everyone's top-3. TSR2 also excellent -- slightly higher spin with added forgiveness. 

Titleist fairway woods are always among the best and the current models are comparable to the Stealth 2+ (but better looking). The TSr3 is super quick and very compact. The TSr2 models are much more popular and easier to hit, but also in loads of tour bags. 

The irons comps would probably be the T150 and T100 (both forged but with tungsten and some forgiveness). Again, some of the best reviewed clubs of '23. 

And there is no disputing the supremacy of Vokey wedges. Some people might prefer other brands, but Vokey is the unquestioned powerhouse in this category, and for good reason.

• Like 2

Titleist TSr 1w 3w 5w 7w – ADDI

Titleist 150 4i 5i 6i – SS X100

Titleist 100 7i 8i 9i – SS X100

Titleist SM9 46 50 54 60 – S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – LAB Link.1

2 hours ago, kekoa said:

Everyone knows their ball, but I have zero experience with Titleist clubs especially the new models.   I'm really curious how the drivers/ fwys stack up in terms of distance compared to the other oem's.  We met a rep recently who offered to set a bag up for us to try, but I have no idea where to even start.  We would get fit prior, but what clubs out of the current line up would be most comparable to the below:  

Current Bag:

TM Stealth 2 Driver

Stealth 2 fwys

4-5 Stealth 2 Hybrids

6-7 P7MC

8-pw P7MB

MG4 Wedges

Thanks for any input.  

AIUI, (And Jeez, you're getting to do this for free?!  I had to pay for my fitting with them), the woods/hybrids go like this: 

TSR1, optimized for slower swingers.  More loft, softer shafts, not as heavy, etc

TSR2, most people.  You don't hit it in one spot, you're not that slow, but you appreciate help.

TSR3, you can confine your strike to limited areas.  Not as forgiving, lower spin.

TSR4, lowest spin still, smaller head.

The heads can be idiosyncratic and definitely not backwards-compatible as far as weights go (you wouldn't believe what a pain it was to find a TSi3 wood weight), so get dialled in before you buy.

As for the irons, they've MB and players cavity backs, I.e., don't expect Ping-like help.  Plus the various T lines.  I found T100 to be nice, but a hair small and unforgiving for me.  I also play i210s, so... 

T150 is supposed to be a nice, high-launching, in-betweener to T100 and the more GI-oriented T200.

I'm sure you'll have a blast.  I definitely will look at them when I get tired of screwing around with this 425Max driver.

• Like 1

I have the TSR 3 Three wood and really like it.

I am strongly considering the TRS 2 Seven wood, or Five wood as an additional fairway wood. Have had other titleist clubs in the past, but the TSR line are some of the best I have owned. Worth your time to try out and consider. These clubs really perform well.

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

2 hours ago, kekoa said:

Current Bag:

TM Stealth 2 Driver

Stealth 2 fwys

4-5 Stealth 2 Hybrids

6-7 P7MC

8-pw P7MB

MG4 Wedges

Thanks for any input.  

Holy crap bro it has been forever!!!

I will say, the Vokey T grind is magic around the green. I'm a digger so I have a super high bounce sand, but the T grind is not going anywhere in my 60!

[color=#000000]Ping G30 LST - Ping Tour 65x[/color]
[color=#000000]Mizzy Fli-Hi 3 iron - Project X 6.0
Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-AW - DG X100 ss1x
Vokey Wedgeworks 54* K Grind- DG S200
Ping Glide (SS) 60*/Lob Combo Grind - DG S400
Cameron Select NP2[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/533027-jlevitt9s-witb-set-for-2013-possibly/"]WITB Link[/url]

The TSi/r3 is as long as any driver. I think the fairways aren't as long as TM or callaway, but more accurate. Titleist makes the best equipment all around IMO. 

• Like 3

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Garage San Diego-Naked/2022 BB1-F/Las Vegas H7-Tour Silver

Pro V1X

41 minutes ago, chinaski said:

The TSi/r3 is as long as any driver. I think the fairways aren't as long as TM or callaway, but more accurate. Titleist makes the best equipment all around IMO. 

Says the guy with:

Callaway

Srixon

Cleveland

Toulon/odyssey

in the bag!🤣

I get what you’re saying though…..for the first time in some 50 years playing this game I have all Titleist in the bag.

Edited by Shilgy

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TS3 strong 3w 13.5° PX HZRDUS black 70g

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I didn't play the TSR, but had a TSI.  2 years of the best driving of my life, but fell for wanting more distance.  Enter TSR 3, which from everything I have seen is TSI+ more distance.  Life long Vokey user and have nothing bad to say about them.  Great all around.  I started playing 714 AP1's, moved onto srixon, but will likely make my way back to Titleist.  I have hit the T100S a few times and they are amazing.  Scotty Cameron putters are great, but the price isn't really justified compared to other putters.  If I was going to do a full bag of one brand, it would most likely be Titleist.  

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Hybrid: Titleist 915 HD 17 degree 

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

Titleist makes quality stuff with offerings for a wide skill range.  
If you buy the models that are a good match for your skill , you can’t go wrong with Titleist.
 ( I guess you could say the same for all the big OEMs.) 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

Top of my bag is all Titleist.  Tried the T200’s and was not convinced to move away from my current Mizunos. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them however.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Titleist makes great clubs all throughout the bag. In the past I think the woods lagged a little behind but really ever since the 910 series the woods have been as good as anything on the market. I have played a Titleist driver for years and can't see myself making a change. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Aldila Tour Green 75TX

3 Wood: PING G425 LST | Fuji Ventus Black 8X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 | DG TI S400

Putter: PING Redwood Zing

Titleist makes a great product.

Like others, they've had some stinkers over the years (907 drivers come to mind - looked horrible/hit the ball ok).

That being said - Titleist is reliable. Year in, year out, you can find a great product for pretty much any slot in the bag somewhere in their product lines. 

Currently, Titleist clubs seem to be taking a hit in the resale market - particularly at the top end of the bag. 

I'd say their hybrids, FWs, and drivers are some of the best buys in the used market today. Kind of like Mizuno... about ten years ago. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Moved to TSI a few years ago, and now the TSR. Best drivers I've ever owned. They have the length and consistency. I will be adding the T series irons shortly, after playing nike and mizuno forged clubs forever. 

Titliest Tsr3 9* Hazardous Black 6.5 gen 4

Nike SQ2 19* Hybrid Aldila VS Proto 95s 

Mizzy MP18 SC 4-6 MB 7-PW C-Taper S

Vokey SM9 50/08, 54/10, 58/08  s400

Scotty T22 Fastback 1.5 ,+ ,+ ,+ ,+

13 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Says the guy with:

Callaway

Srixon

Cleveland

Toulon/odyssey

in the bag!🤣

I get what you’re saying though…..for the first time in some 50 years playing this game I have all Titleist in the bag.

Haha, yeah if I HAD to choose one brand it would be Titleist. I did demo the T100 and 150's, they are good, but staying with the z745's. Nothing can beat them. 

I love Vokeys, but such a better deal getting raw wedges with Cleveland. They are just as good too. The L grind since the RTX4 is excellent. 

I also go back and forth between the UW and a TSi 5w. 

• Like 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Garage San Diego-Naked/2022 BB1-F/Las Vegas H7-Tour Silver

Pro V1X

Are we really out here asking how the most reputable equipment manufacturer of all time (arguably (and admittedly subjective)) stacks up against other OEMs? They're OK, I guess. 

That said, one of the best things to happen to golf over the last few decades is that all of the big players in the equipment game put out phenomenal products. It really does come down to what works best for the user. 

• Like 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

Next year I will be playing either a TSR2 or TSR1 (weighted heavier) with a Ventus TR Red 5R shaft.

TRS1 hybrids 23* and 26* with Atmos Tour Spec 75 gram R shafts

T200 7 - 9 irons (Nippon 950 NEO)

T150 PW (Nippon 105T)

Vokey SM9 54* sand wedge (Nippon 105T)

Yes, I still play a Ping G25 5-wood, and I have an old Titleist 910 D2 12* head that works just fine on the Ventus shaft.  I think that Titleist makes fine clubs, their quality control is excellent, and they have lots of very good shafts that you can specifiy.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

17 hours ago, kekoa said:

Current Bag:

TM Stealth 2 Driver

Stealth 2 fwys

4-5 Stealth 2 Hybrids

6-7 P7MC

8-pw P7MB

MG4 Wedges

Thanks for any input.  

Having followed your boy's progress for some time, the obvious clubs that are more user friendly and in our experience more neutral are the hybrids, irons and wedges. My elder boy plays T-100 irons.

My boys left TM cause they just couldn't get used to the balls. Too juiced and unpredictable at the wrong times were the conclusion.

The elder one plays at a TM affiliated D1 college fwiw.

Edited by Tugu

I've been a Titleist iron and wood user since about 2005.  Played 620 MBs from 2019 to last year, also blended 620 CBs for fun.  Last year bought T100S to see what the chatter was about, but switched to new T100 3i-PW last August.  

I can't say they are any better than other OEM comparables, but to me, they are the best.  

PS, since this post, I realized I find what works best in my hands, then stick with that brand, including knives, guns, cooking equipment, and cars, etc.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58g
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD 80g 
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90g
  • T100 3i & 5i MMT 85g
  • T100 6i to PW MMT 105g
  • SM9 F52/12 & M58/8, DG S200 127g
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Their equipment is top notch.  TSR series is as good as any driver out there, IMO.  I love the T100 and would put them in the bag but I'm happy with my current set.  I've never been a fan of the Vokey's because they're cast however, I've had my Newport 2 since 2008 and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

My view as a mid handicapper : Very Good clubs but not  better than PXG or Ping in irons or Callaway or Taylormade in Drivers. Wedges are outstanding and putters are not any better than anyone else at least in the mallet series. Best ball maker period but you pay much for. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I tried every driver going in August and the tsr2 won comfortably for forgiveness. The only longer club was the paradym but only be about 8 yards and dispersion was much worse. Over the last year my entire long game has become titleist, they shouldn’t be discounted from any testing you do.

Titleist TSR2 10 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Hzrdus smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Titleist Pro V1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

You can't really go wrong with Titleist occupying the top of your bag. Their drivers and fairways can definitely hang or exceed some of the other major OEMs. I had an all titleist bag at the beginning of the year but i recently switched my irons out to Takomo's. I like them a lot but i don't know if they're head and shoulders above the 716 AP2's i used to have. I've also used vokey's and scotty's since the mid aughts to the present. Not that i care too much but i've found titleist gear tends to decrease in value slower then other manufacturers.