2024 Barracuda Championship WITB & Equipment Photos ×

Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond MAX?

TmagBryce

17 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I was referring to head only for 700+, but what you just said works for me.  Now I'm torn because I love how fade biased the TD is, lol.  When I tested the TD MAX that my head pro had, it was amazing because of the forgiveness, but it does play more neutral but at the same time, the head doesn't look humongous like the MAX which is very appealing. 

Time for some phizzy head to head testing? 😉

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SaVo_ said:

Time for some phizzy head to head testing? 😉

Possible.  June 7th, lol.  I'm loving the fade bias of the regular TD though.  Honestly, the TD MAX is similar to last year's OG Paradym TD in that it's neutral bias with a touch more spin from testing it earlier this year. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Possible.  June 7th, lol.  I'm loving the fade bias regular TD though.  Honestly, the TD MAX is similar to last year's OG Paradym TD in that it's neutral bias with a touch more spin from testing it earlier this year. 

The fade bias in the TD this year is money. Might be cool to test but i wouldn't be surprised if some stuck to just the regular TD 

Edited by SaVo_

17 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Possible.  June 7th, lol.  I'm loving the fade bias of the regular TD though.  Honestly, the TD MAX is similar to last year's OG Paradym TD in that it's neutral bias with a touch more spin from testing it earlier this year. 

Phizzy exactly what I was wondering.  Is there any tangible benefit to going for Smoke over paradym OG TD.  Sure the face lift is nice but if it’s kind of a wash, I’ll keep the money and upgrade a shaft somewhere else in bag

TM 2024 BRNR Mini 11.5 Kai'li

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degree, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degree 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degree

T100 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Vokey SM10 50(f), 55(s), 60(m)

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

5 minutes ago, JLP_GOLF said:

Phizzy exactly what I was wondering.  Is there any tangible benefit to going for Smoke over paradym OG TD.  Sure the face lift is nice but if it’s kind of a wash, I’ll keep the money and upgrade a shaft somewhere else in bag

Different shaping. If you want OG paradym - or futher, the 'tour' paradym with front-weighting - but with TD shaping then the TD max is for you.

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / PHNTM7.5

11 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Different shaping. If you want OG paradym - or futher, the 'tour' paradym with front-weighting - but with TD shaping then the TD max is for you.

Have you hit both?  Can you speak to results or ball flights.  Sounds like both are easy to turn over (what I’m looking for) and low spin.  I guess the TD would have minimal added forgiveness as well, that’s a fair point to consider thought I have heard from a lot of folks who say paradigm OG TD was plenty forgiving too 

TM 2024 BRNR Mini 11.5 Kai'li

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degree, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degree 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degree

T100 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Vokey SM10 50(f), 55(s), 60(m)

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

30 minutes ago, JLP_GOLF said:

Have you hit both?  Can you speak to results or ball flights.  Sounds like both are easy to turn over (what I’m looking for) and low spin.  I guess the TD would have minimal added forgiveness as well, that’s a fair point to consider thought I have heard from a lot of folks who say paradigm OG TD was plenty forgiving too 

I have hit the og paradym and the paradym tour which is my current driver. I have not hit the td max yet. I generally do not play TD models as I dont need the smaller shape nor the spin reduction - and I would rather have the extra spin retention and peak height of 'standard' models.

• Like 1

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / PHNTM7.5

Posted (edited)

Lol, I was just telling myself, "Self, the ai Triple Diamond and Taylormade BRNR mini are a perfect setup. No new woods for you until the new Titleist release later this year."  And now here I am looking at a completely new driver head AND potentially a new mini driver 🤣

Edited by halfsumo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ai Smoke Mini 13.5 Tour AD VF 6x

Apex UW 19* DI 8x

P DHY 22* KBS C-taper lite 110
Titleist T100 5-P KBS Tour S+

PING S159 50, 55, 60h S300
Phantom X 7

19 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I'm loving the fade bias of the regular TD though

What weights you playing in front and back?

I actually been finding that putting the heavy weight back make it less fade bias to neutral.

Messing around with different weights and I have been seeing the more weight I put in the front the more fade bias it becomes.

There was an IG post from a club maker posting measurements of driver heads on graph paper and he stated that the smoke triple D's CG shorter distance from the shaft makes it draw biased but can be balanced out by a heavier forward weight which has the propensity to fade. 

32 minutes ago, Glock917 said:

I actually been finding that putting the heavy weight back make it less fade bias to neutral.

Messing around with different weights and I have been seeing the more weight I put in the front the more fade bias it becomes.

There was an IG post from a club maker posting measurements of driver heads on graph paper and he stated that the smoke triple D's CG shorter distance from the shaft makes it draw biased but can be balanced out by a heavier forward weight which has the propensity to fade. 

Whatever's stock is what I play it at. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

3 hours ago, JLP_GOLF said:

If you miss toe side, then it's definitely worth upgrading to the AI Smoke line.  Anything hit way out on the toe on the OG was low and left.  Anything and I mean anything hit out  on the toe with the AI Smoke TD and TD MAX retains spin and doesn't lose as much ball speed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Glock917 said:

Heres the measurements and comments on the TD drivers: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6XRj_FPIYH/?hl=en&img_index=2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

If you miss toe side, then it's definitely worth upgrading to the AI Smoke line.  Anything hit way out on the toe on the OG was low and left.  Anything and I mean anything hit out  on the toe with the AI Smoke TD and TD MAX retains spin and doesn't lose as much ball speed. 

Toe side is my miss and I can confirm this to be the case. I’ve had a few somewhat embarrassing one handed finishes that I felt were way off the tie and they went straight and pretty far considering where I hit it on the face. 

I will say that I felt the OG Paradym TD was more fade biased than my AI Smoke TD, however I played the OG Paradym with 14GB/6GF and I’ve been playing the AI Smoke TD stock set up of 14GB/2GF. Going to try a 8GB/6GF configuration and see if that makes it fade more. 

Edited by ilikegolf26

13 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Heres the measurements and comments on the TD drivers: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6XRj_FPIYH/?hl=en&img_index=2

I don't have an instagram account to check, does he by chance have these same figures for the Titleist TSR2 driver?  Curious as to how they compare.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

2 minutes ago, IL2AZ said:

I don't have an instagram account to check, does he by chance have these same figures for the Titleist TSR2 driver?  Curious as to how they compare.

Yes he did the tsr line here: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6XNnHaP_3D/?hl=en&img_index=1

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

On the subject of weights, I did some extensive testing with all our demos at my club. I purchased some weights from Amazon and created what worked best for me. I hate I wasn’t able to test this new head but I don’t think it matters for me now. I ended up getting a Max head, using a 45” Graphite Design and then putting a 14 gram up front and a 6 gram sliding weight in the rear basically turning it into a much more forgiving TD. Head weight is 196 and swing weight is just under D4. I sat there on trackman and got higher launch, same spin and more forgiveness with the Max over the TD. Bringing the weight up front gave me a little less draw bias but I was still able to square the face much better than with TD. I could still fade it but I could also draw it whereas the TD was only fades for me. I don’t think we’re getting any demos of the new TD Max so I’m probably out there but hitting this so well I don’t need to screw with it. 

Edited by awtryau89

On 5/21/2024 at 1:45 PM, Pete O'Tube said:

I want one just to have the most ridiculous name for a golf club ever invented.

I think I will wait until they come out with the "AI Smoke Triple Diamond MAX Extreme Tour Only Custom Limited Edition". The current name is just not long enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

I think I will wait until they come out with the "AI Smoke Triple Diamond MAX Extreme Tour Only Custom Limited Edition". The current name is just not long enough for me.

I think that's a special order with TC serial that'll only cost you around 3k, lol.  420 cc but extremely forgiving, yet super low launch/spin that you can only play if you're 125+ ss.  Min Woo Lee special. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I think that's a special order with TC serial that'll only cost you around 3k, lol.  420 cc but extremely forgiving, yet super low launch/spin that you can only play if you're 125+ ss.  Min Woo Lee special. 

I just miss having that kind of swing speed so I guess it's off the table for now darn it!

• Haha 1

I’ve played both the Smoke TD and the Smoke Max - 3 rounds with the TD, only 2 rounds with the Max.  The TD’s a BEAST, unfortunately, one I couldn’t control as often as I needed to.  The Max to me is kind of muted and in no way has the “beastiness” of the TD.  I’m very interested in the TD Max because it supposedly will just be a slightly more forgiving TD, which is what I wanted anyway, and I think a lot of people will be trading their Max in for that club on the 28th of May.

10 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

You're speaking right into my heart right here. 

3 hours ago, Kale_m said:

Looks great. It’d be nice to be able to get one of the 8.5 heads. Even though it’s only .5 degree on the box when I’ve had those heads before they’re usually a good degree lower than the 9. Really nice stuff. A kid I play with who’s close to 190 BS plays the 8 degree smoke triple and honestly it’s a weird looking head to me. This looks quite nice. 

1 hour ago, Tree Levino said:

Looks great. It’d be nice to be able to get one of the 8.5 heads. Even though it’s only .5 degree on the box when I’ve had those heads before they’re usually a good degree lower than the 9. Really nice stuff. A kid I play with who’s close to 190 BS plays the 8 degree smoke triple and honestly it’s a weird looking head to me. This looks quite nice. 

How's it look weird?  Why would you rather get the TD MAX over the TD?