Ping Eye 2 Becu

dwb7272

I know that the Ping Eye 2s have been debated that they are still one of the best irons ever made. I have a chance to pick up the original Eye 2s in copper. I have several questions. How do they compare for feel and ball flight with todays Pings, more importantly, I5s. Would changing to a more recent shaft help. I have some Tour Concepts. Would that be a good option?

Also, I know Ping won't bend them. I have my own loft an lie machine but I don't want to risk one breaking. For those who have them, can the lies be adjusted 1-2 degrees without any problems? Did you heat the hosel any to make it easier or safer?

I know this is alot of questions but want to make sure on this. Set is in excellent shape. The 3 and 4 iron look unhit. I think $375 is fair which is what I can get them for. Plus, I don't see the market falling on these in the future.

Any and all responses is appreciated.

Well worth buying at that price. Beryllium Eye 2s are getting harder and harder to find in decent condition.

Shaft-wise, a lot depends on what's in them to start with, but a change to something more familiar is easy enough to accomplish. I rank the Eye 2 as being the best iron Ping have ever made, full stop. The beryllium copper ones are superlative. The feel is softer than any of the modern Ping irons, and the irons stack up well in all departments against the newer models. The lofts are on the weak side, but many of the more modern designs have an in-built higher flight so the stronger lofts are there to compensate.

Bending-wise, the problem comes with the material being 20 years or so old and becoming more brittle over time. Pings can be a bit of a pain to bend anyway, but a friend works at the UK factory and reckons that minor changes are quite doable - the bugbear is with the lack of replacement heads in the event of breakage.

I'm no expert, but a degree or so should be do-able; albeit a measure of caution comes as standard.

I've still got a set in my store; and despite being a forged blade man through and through I won't part with them.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Forget Eye 2 and forget BeCu.

You won't be satisfied with the weak lofts of the Eye 2's.

Buy a set of Eye 2+ stainless. Lots of available used sets or Ping still sells new sets of Eye 2+.

Before you buy go to Ping's webfit section at www.pinggolf.com

Be precise with your measurements, do height wearing street shoes, and you will get an excellent recommendation for club length and lie angle.

I know that the Ping Eye 2s have been debated that they are still one of the best irons ever made. I have a chance to pick up the original Eye 2s in copper. I have several questions. How do they compare for feel and ball flight with todays Pings, more importantly, I5s. Would changing to a more recent shaft help. I have some Tour Concepts. Would that be a good option?

Also, I know Ping won't bend them. I have my own loft an lie machine but I don't want to risk one breaking. For those who have them, can the lies be adjusted 1-2 degrees without any problems? Did you heat the hosel any to make it easier or safer?

I know this is alot of questions but want to make sure on this. Set is in excellent shape. The 3 and 4 iron look unhit. I think $375 is fair which is what I can get them for. Plus, I don't see the market falling on these in the future.

Buy a set of Eye 2+ stainless. Lots of available used sets or Ping still sells new sets of Eye 2+.

Be precise with your measurements, do height wearing street shoes, and you will get an excellent recommendation for club length and lie angle.

Consider this: They probably play as well, if not with or without a bit more feel compared to the other models like stainless etc, BUT, there will NEVER be another set made that looks like them, is made from BeCu or is as difficult to pull shafts from, Never! I think part of their value and why many covet them is because they are one of kind and no other like them. They are indeed special.......Get 'em while you can!!

Ciao, Wan

I disagree and if you decide you don't want them, shoot me a pm, I'll take them and I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this way. And the fitting through Ping's website is an ok starting point, but nothing like hitting off a lie board. I'm only 5'11" and according to Ping's old system, not with all the new colors, I should have been a blue dot, but I actually ended up needing silver due to my upright swing path. I wouldn't go by the website to determine what you need. To me as long as there are one of the middle color codes and not orange or maroon, you will have no trouble bending them to fit you.

The BeCu's are a very special club and a joy to hit. Although I am generally a blade guy (Hogan and Mizuno), these are my regular gamers now. I would not worry about the weaker lofts. Whats the difference whether you are hitting something marked 7 iron or 8 iron? The 50* PW replaces the gap wedge and the 57* SW is the best sand wedge ever made and works well as a lob wedge. My advice - buy them somewhere close to the right lie angle and you will be happy. The Microtaper shafts are fine for me - similar to a lighter Dynamic Gold.

So are the shafts a problem to pull? Would Tour Concepts be a good match for these and if they have Microtaper in them new, would TCs bring the flight down some?

I can only give you my experience. I asked my clubfitter to remove shafts and he was able to except for the PW and #5. He told me no worries and sent to another who specialized in ping pulls. It was returned a week later with many many apology but could not remove so ended up sending it to ping and they did it. Not sure if my set only but have read and heard ping puts in the shafts to stay there!!

Hope this helps you sir.

Ciao, Wan

Since you can't replace these heads if you happen to break one I wouldn't risk attempting to bend it.

I have played my Eye 2 +no+ stainless irons for the last year and I love them. I also just purchased a set of Eye 2 + BeCu that I can't wait to try out on the course.

I highly recommend purchasing a set of Eye 2's, you will not be disapointed.

They are a great set of irons. Truly classics and a joy to play with. IMO they do "feel" (whatever that really means) softer than stainless Eye 2s or more recent Ping offerings. There is also probably something to the fact that there are very few people playing these and few good sets around (in fact I am currently looking for a good back-up set). I have looked to replace a number of times over the years, but nothing really plays like them.

The current set I play with were bent 2* with no problem. I have also had little problem re-shafting (mine have been reshafted a couple times). More recent shaft offerings do work well with Eye 2 heads (look at Tim Herron on the PGA Tour who plays Project X in his Eye 2s).

Ping will bend them. You just have to sign a disclaimer since they can't necessarily replace one if it snaps.

Furthermore...

1) The guy at Ping customer service I talked to said becu's and beni's were no more likely to break when bent than the stainless -- their warning is solely the issue of not being able to replace a broken one. I know there is a strong rumor of them becoming brittle with age, but the guy I spoke to at Ping, at least, did not believe that to be true. Metals simply do not become brittle "over time" anyhow. Simply not the case. Most do when repeatedly bent past their plastic deformation threshold (i.e. bent so it does not return to it's original shape) -- this is called "work hardening". Some aluminum alloys do work harden, very gradually, with many, many cycles of elastic deformation (i.e. gets bent, but returns to it's original shape). But steel, and almost all other metals, are 100% imune to this. At the very least: getting brittle just sitting on the shelf: not happening.

2) Ping, who's customer service is amazingly good in this day and age, will do any work on becu's/beni's, as long as it does not involve creating toxic berillium dust. So Ping will re-lie, re-loft, reshaft, or repaint them (but with no replacement guarantee, since EPA will no longer let them make new berillium irons), but they will not refinish or grind them.

It is worth having Ping do the work, for resale purposes. If you're trying to sell, and a potential buyer calls Ping to verify the serial number, they can verify the new dot color. Plus they'll have had their loft/lie verified relatively recently. If someone else does it, you'll lose picky buyers for sure. Plus, the Ping guy told me they use a different method to bend than a typical clubmaker (can't remember the details), and their method will be permanent, whereas a normal shop-bend will gradually return to it's previous lie.

I'm about to send in my nickel ISI's to get them bent from green to blue dot. Hoping for the best.

Bottom line: call Ping and ask them all your questions. The folks on the phone are very cool and knowledgeable.

I trade extensively in used pings and the good thing about Be Cu in any of the ping classics is that they are a good investment - pay a sensible price and you will always get your money back or make a few £££'s. Only a few points to consider - the heads need to be good - forget the shafts and grips as these are easily replaced - i frequently buy sets with good heads and poor shafts because these can be purchased for a very good price. I then replace shafts with modern ping shafts (usually pulled from a newish set of pings where the owner needs stiffer or more flexible shafts -the bonus is these usually come with good modern ping grips) and you then have a superb set of Be Cu Pings. My only concern is always changing lie angles - I never attempt more than 2 degrees and even then I'm always a bit worried - I don't care what Ping say there is no doubt in my mind that Be Cu heads are prone to snapping when bent. The only positive aspect of one Be Cu club breaking is that you can then easily sell the remaining irons individually on ebay - there is a good market for this service - the individual irons are snapped up quickly!

If they were in my hands I would modernize them. Have a good clubfitter or ping adjust the lie to whatever you want + or - 2 degrees and strengthen loft 2 degrees and then I would install a good shaft, tour concept, black golds or if you want a lighter weight alternative, nippon 950 or 1050 are a great shaft. To complete my set I would also spine align. pm me if you want more info.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

"Metals simply do not become brittle "over time" anyhow. Simply not the case. Most do when repeatedly bent past their plastic deformation threshold (i.e. bent so it does not return to it's original shape) -- this is called "work hardening". Some aluminum alloys do work harden, very gradually, with many, many cycles of elastic deformation (i.e. gets bent, but returns to it's original shape). But steel, and almost all other metals, are 100% imune to this. At the very least: getting brittle just sitting on the shelf: not happening." quote by Skizik

I work in scrap metal recycling, specifically non-ferrous meaning (non-iron) aluminum, copper, brasses, etc. Copper definitely does grow weaker after being bent so I would recommend only bending what is necessary, however the berilium makes the copper which is naturally very soft MUCH harder.

I played this exact set for twelve years (original square grooves) but replaced the microtaper with Rifle 5.5's and cut my teeth on them you might say as they were my second set after having some knockoffs for a year. I found them in the back of an old golf shop for $300. I truelly wish I had them back now, but I think I would reshaft with PX 6.0's to bring the flight down a little and possible bend the lofts 1 degree stronger as well.

If you've never played Ping Eye 2's I would definitely buy them and try them out, you might play them as long as I did. If not you won't have any problem selling them on the BST. Heck IMO the PW and SW are worth there weight in gold!!!

I have owned and played my early Ping Eye 2 CuBe (red dot) irons for nearly 20 years now. I've never tinkered with the lie or loft as I'm used to what they do, as is. I have only replaced the grips, but might look into having Ping reshaft them when we go down to Scottsdale next month. For a long time, I looked for something I liked better (looks, feel, performance, etc.) and never found any irons I wanted more. I'll play mine until something I like better comes along, but to tell the truth, I've stopped looking. I change my driver and putter fairly often, but these irons are a constant in my game. Buy them, that is a very good price.

I had to replace a 5 iron shaft in mine due to contact with an unseen root. Easy to do.

I think that the Micro Taper shafts are quite adequate.

The original EYE 2's do have weaker lofts than "modern" sets, but I really don't mind that much. It can actually be an advantage in a match if one of your competitors is trying to club off of you.

I grew up playing forged blades (Macgregor/Hogan) and I feel that the Copper gives a similar feel. They are great irons and I can't see changing anytime soon. (Although the SCRATCH irons are starting to look real good)

I worked in the Instrumentation industry and Beryllium Copper was used for bellows in older mechanical pressure measurement machines. Also from Wikipedia:

Uses

Beryllium copper is used in springs and other parts that must retain their shapes during periods in which they are subjected to repeated strain.

So the guys saying these can't be bent are talk garbage, Beryllium Copper can be bent or it wouldn't be used in bendable metal parts.

The reshafting problem, Ping 'ram rodded' shafts on the Eye 2s... a small lead sphere was forced down into the hosel with a rod for an interference fit. Means that the shaft can't easily be pulled, if it breaks it's also a nightmare to drill out. You sometimes get them dislodging in cold weather and can here the

little ball bearing run up and down the shaft. Reshafting a Ping putter is the worst, especially Magnese Bronze which is much softer than BeCu, add to that the plumbers neck and you can break the head no problem.

I have a BeCu Eye 2 sand wedge which was black dot but was adjusted to between blue and green (1-2* up) three years ago and has not migrated back yet. Although I have a Plus No Plus lob wedge (and play Plus No Plus 3-SW in steel head) I prefer the feel of the BeCu wedge, and sometimes substitute a BeCu Eye 2+ SW for the steel Plus No Plus SW, even though I lose some spin. I had to have the Eye 2 wedge reshafted and put a Rifle Spinner in it which works great, and my repair guy did not mention having problems with the reshaft or adjustment. He also ground a bit of the bounce out of the heel, which lets the head slide under the ball on tight lies better. I think that the price you mention for the BeCu Eye 2s is very fair, and think that you will like them alot.

Have had the Eye 2+ BeCu's in the bag for 3 seasons. Owned them for many years. Had to have the latest and greatest... the shiny chrome of the finest forgings... the fanciest plastic cavity inserts of the new game improvement... You name it, I owned it. Yet, when the "clubs" lost their swing (it's always the clubs' fault) I would return the Pings to the bag until I found something new. Finally, I sold all the "new technology". I sold all the "pretty". I put the Pings in the bag, full time, and have never looked back!

My BeCu +'s were some of the last manufactured. I was lucky enough to get them with the JZ shaft, which I like. The Microtaper shaft used in most of the standard Eye 2 BeCu's could be a little "boardy". I never did like that particular shaft. The TC would, in my opinion, be a fantastic marriage to the Eye 2 BeCu's. The most important thing is to make certain you purchase the shafts in taper tip. DO NOT drill out the hosels to accept the parallel tip shafts!!

If they were mine... and, certainly, you're the one needing to make the decision... I would never try to bend a set of BeCu's. Yes, many folks will offer extremely legitimate arguments as to why the hosels should not crack. All those arguments, no matter how well meaning, go out the door when you end up with a "2-piece" head in your hands! To me, it would not be worth the risk of losing the value and playability of the entire set due to one mishap.

I tell the story of being paired with some great young sticks in a practice round for our State amateur tourney. It is amazing, the abilities that come with youth. Yet, these young men marveled at my BeCu Pings. I was asked if they were a "new release" that would be coming to retail. When I told them they were "ancient"... discontinued... and "yesterday" technology, they stared in disbelief. "No one could hit 'old beaters', as you call them, as well as you do if they were that old!"

The major downside of the BeCu irons is just as was mentioned by another poster... pilferage! I will not leave me clubs, when at a strange course. I've learned to put a soda in the bag so I don't have to stop at the turn. The uniqueness of the BeCu irons will draw undesirables that would like nothing better than to have something so exotic to sell on ebay. I try to remember to carry a set of iron covers stowed in my cart bag to utilize if playing metro courses. That way, I don't have anyone even watching which car trunk the set goes in after the round.

I thoroughly enjoy my Ping BeCu's. I have full faith that you, if so lucky to garner a set, will have similar enjoyment of a real classic. Good luck and keep us informed how you like the Eye 2 BeCu's!!!!

• 8 months later...

I Know that PING used ball bearings in the putters (which are rock hard - try and drill one its impossoble - personally i have had no problem in extracing shafts from their putter...you just have to now what you are doing.

I have 2 sets of eye 2 + that are going back to gainsborough in the UK to be bent. By all accounts when they bend the irons they hit the head with a mallet afterwards to SHOCK the metal to remove 'its memory' to prevent it from bending back to its orginal position.

Back to the ball bearing sitiaution....have they used them in the eye 2 +??? I am going to refinish both sets with my guyson and then reshaft with DGS300. Do you guys think it will be diificult to pull the shafts??

I have 2 sets of eye 2 + that are going back to gainsborough in the UK to be bent. By all accounts when they bend the irons they hit the head with a mallet afterwards to SHOCK the metal to remove 'its memory' to prevent it from bending back to its orginal position.

Indeed they do. Albeit lofts are adjusted with a sort of crowbar with a 'U' on the end, lie adjustments involve clamping the club into a frame and then whacking it with a big rubber-faced mallet. Golfers of a nervous disposition (and anyone who uses iron covers) would probably be well advised not to watch that bit... :rolleyes:

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

There is a lot of reference to the "weaker" lofts. They are "true" lofts. Manufactures change the lofts so that players think they are hitting the ball longer. Today's 7 iron is yesterdays 5 iron.

That's a little bit of an extreme statement, but I guess it depends on what your 'yesterday' is. Lofts have gotten stronger, that is a fact, but I don't think they are 8* stronger, which would be two clubs. Maybe 4-6*, at most. And yes, I'm sure you can find cases where this is 8* different than that - but it's not the industry norm. MOST pitching wedges are about 48*, some range upwards of 46 (my adams is 46). That's only 1/2 club stronger than the 50* PW in this thread.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to revive this thread...Would rehsafting (and saving originals) hirt the value of the becu's you think? My worry is...these are little short so I'd need longer shafts and these are already to flat for me. I'm going to try (maybe) to have them heated and have the lies bent 2* up w/o shattering, at least I hope. Though I play blades and such, these irons are too cool to just let sit.

Eye 2+ wedge lofts are 48*, 53* and 58*.The + iron set has modern lofts, the standard Eye 2 set does not.

Nobody wants to be swinging a 7-iron when everybody else is swinging 8-iron or 9-iron. Is that ego ? Not really. It's a mental game and always clubbing one or two more than the next guy (for no reason other than the weak lofts of your set) , is counterproductive.

Ego is when a guy swings a 5 iron when he should be swinging a 3-wood. Ego is a guy closing the face on a wedge and swinging out of his shoes instead of smooth swinging an 8-iron. This is different from somebody playing with a set that has the standard lofts of year 1975.

Never could understand that sentiment. Unless ego is involved. Look at it this way - you won't have to buy a gap wedge!