2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping Eye 2 Becu

dwb7272

I can see the reasoning, but I'm another one who couldn't give a toss what number's on the bottom of the club. I actually prefer weaker lofts (albeit I've recently gone a degree stronger with my irons) since I keep the distances I'm familiar with and don't need to faff about with a gap wedge and leave out a long iron.

The only time I get mildly annoyed about the strong loft issue is when the yardage stud that I'm playing with starts twittering on for the umpteenth time about how he hit an 8 iron when I hit a 6 - usually after nearly giving himself a double hernia in the process and in any case leaving said 8 iron 20 yards short and also missing the green with it. Again.

The only numbers that really matter when I've got an iron in my hand are the number of feet it ends up from the hole and how many greens in regulation I've hit at the end of the day. Each to their own, but what club an opponent's hitting has zero effect on my clubbing and, should I be playing with a pocket battleship who can outdrive me by 30 yards and hits his wedge 150 yards, I just play my own game and see about trying to beat him. I can't develop an extra 40 yards when I play with the club's resident bomber; nor can I suddenly startputting like Bob Charles when I play someone with a deadly flatstick. Worrying about the fact that the bloke I'm trying to beat has got a '7' on the bottom of the club that's got the same loft as my 6 seems to be a waste of effort to me when my time would be better spent trying to sort out my own shot. I'm not going to start tweaking a perfectly good set of irons with a bending bar any more than I'm going to rush out and buy new ones just so I can hit one club less into the greens.

Golf is indeed a mental game; and nothing demoralises an opponent more than seeing iron shot after iron shot rain down next to the flag - whatever number was on the bottom of the clubs that hit them all.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

After reading all the replies about the opinions on loft changes, I decided to do some research. Here are the lofts I found on PING's website and the variances:

Eye2 Eye2+

1 16.0° 16.0° 0

2 18.5° 18.5° 0

3 21.5° 21.2° 0.3

4 24.7° 24.5° 0.2

5 28.5° 27.7° 0.8

6 32.0° 31.2° 0.8

7 36.0° 35.0° 1

8 40.2° 39.5° 0.7

9 45.0° 44.0° 1

PW 50.7° 48.5° 2.2

SW 57.7° 53.0° 4.7

LW 61.0° 58.0° 3

As you can see, there is not much of a noticeable difference except for the wedges. If 4* is about 10 yards, 1* would be about 2.5 yards. So if anyone is seeng a significant improvement in distance over the original heads in anything but the wedges, it is because of another design factor. Possibly the square grooves add more spin and reduce distance. I would say based on this, play whatever head you like better because they don't look like there should be a one club difference from 1-PW unless there is another variable other than loft.

To go a step further, I did the same comparison between the Eye2 and G10. There were more variances here:

Eye2 G10

1-iron 16.0°

[/color]2-iron 18.5° 18.5° 0

3-iron 21.5° 21.0° 0.5

4-iron 24.7° 24.0° 0.7

5-iron 28.5° 27.0° 1.5

6-iron 32.0° 30.5° 1.5

7-iron 36.0° 34.0° 2

8-iron 40.2° 38.0° 2.2

9-iron 45.0° 42.0° 3

PW 50.7° 46.0° 4.7

UW 50.0°

SW 57.7° 54.0° 3.7

LW 61.0° 58.0° 3

Ditto.

Great clubs as they are (I've got a set of beryllium Eye 2s that I'll never part with) they're not so valuable that you should worry unduly about reshafting them. Put whatever suits your game in them and get out on the course with them is my take.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

34 year Ping guy here.... I have the set you speak of. Like it better than the Eye 2 +...won't go into that. I would stay with a Ping shaft. It will help the value. If you want a stronger shaft, you can have the shaft stepped 1 step stronger...if you want it softer, you can go one step soft, etc. They are not as strong as modern clubs but does that matter? Just hit the one you need to get there like with any other club... Enjoy the Eye 2's! Bob 6 hdcp

• 2 months later...

There is a set of becu near me listed for 300 2-PW or SW I forget. 9 or 10 clubs. All the clubs look pretty good there are is some green stuff on a few of the heads, just a little bit. the 6 iron has some weird near the toe on the back like it got corroded a bit but then cleaned. I don't know. Overall they look pretty good I'd say.

Ping has the swingweight at C8.5, that shouldn't be a big deal should it? I'm strongly considering buying them, if they'll take 15% off

i dont know if the Tour Concepts are really the shaft for these irons...just because that shaft was designed with modern club heads in mind. I'm not a club maker, and I'm sure there's a chance they're a great fit, but I dont know id go with DG (not even black gold). Just because there is so much going on with the flighting and weight in those TC's...I'm talking out my a**.

That said, I have TT TC's in a set of Ping i10's and its a match made in heaven.

• 3 months later...

Little thread revival here...

I just purchased a matched set of Eye2+ BeCu's 3-LW (black dot) and would like to have the lie adjusted to 'blue dot' and put the KBS Tour shafts in them (most likely regular flex). I am trying to get a higher ball flight than I currently have. My other shaft option might be the Nippon Pro850 (reg flex). Can anyone comment on the feel/ball flight of these shafts. My driver speed is ~90 mph and I hit my 8 iron 140 yards. Also, will PING re-sharpen the grooves for me? Thanks in advance for your replies and advice!

-WJ

P.S. Go Tom!!!

I'm having a bear of a time pulling some heads on some Eye 2+ BeCu's that I just purchased. They have some original graphite shafts that I really don't like. What is the key to getting these heads off? People have mentioned something about a ball-bearing in the tip- does that apply to the +'s? If so, what do I do with it? Should I be any more worried about discoloring than with regular steel heads? Sheesh, that's enough questions to make me dizzy... :bad:

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread; however, I've always had a fascination for the Eye 2 BECU. While the idea of having a set for posterity is ok, clubs are meant to be swung. My question is in 2015, can these clubs still hold up if they are reshafted and refurbished or are they just a fine piece of engineering from a previous generation? Also, would "updating" them ruin the resale value?

Join the club! I, too, had the same fascination for a number of years after hitting a set of ISI becu's about 20 years ago. Loved the looks and the feel........but at the time I just could not afford them. Come full circle, two years ago and I found a decent set on Ebay in my specs with S300 shafts and got them for a silly price of $250. Bagged 'em and will never change my irons. Had some alterations done recently and added some extensions and new grips and they are as good as new and perform like no other iron I have ever owned.

They hold up very well - resale wise - but being becu they have carcinogenic properties and so some club builders won't touch them when it comes to refurbishing the heads but re-shafting should not present a problem. I don't think updating them will do anything to the resale value providing the work is of good quality.

In play, the Pings are now quite weak in lofts in comparison with new irons. I just have to take one club more but it makes no difference to me and I'm OK hitting a 150 yard shot with an 8 iron instead of a 9.

Here are a couple of good examples

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ping-Eye-2-Copper-Iron-set-3-PW-Golf-Club-Red-Dot-Square-Grooves-/131570502929?hash=item1ea2368d11"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ping-Eye-2-Copper-Iron-set-3-PW-Golf-Club-Red-Dot-Square-Grooves-/131570502929?hash=item1ea2368d11[/url]

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/PING-EYE-2-BeCu-COPPER-BLUEPRINTED-2-PW-BLACK-DOT-SPINE-ALIGNED-MICROTAPER-SWEET-/331641611313?hash=item4d37616431"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/PING-EYE-2-BeCu-COPPER-BLUEPRINTED-2-PW-BLACK-DOT-SPINE-ALIGNED-MICROTAPER-SWEET-/331641611313?hash=item4d37616431[/url]

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I'm fine with the weaker lofts. It just means that I don't need a gap wedge and I'll take an Eye 2 sand wedge any day. The clubs in the links you provided are in great shape. Though $500 for a 20-30 year old set? You do get what you pay for in getting a mint set of classic clubs and I'm sure if they are taken care of they will hold their value.

Personally, I would not get either of those mint sets as I prefer the dark chocolate brown patina.......but each to their own......and those two sets would take a while to get the look that I like. I've heard that if you live in a more humid climate or near the sea that they will 'patina up' quickly but I'm not sure how long. I live in the dry air of Colorado and I've noticed that the patina takes longer to recover and darken, naturally. If you like the dark patina go for a set - off eBay - that you know will fit you. Use the 'old' Ping fitting guide - not the new - that's on-line as a rough guide. If you are thinking about a possible re-shaft I would see how you get on with the original shafts first. Ping shafts have always been good quality and you might find you don't need to fiddle with them. I have always played S300's and I wanted ISI becu's with that particular shaft so I waited until a set came along, in the lie I wanted and at a price I wanted to pay..........and they did. Good luck with whatever you decide..........and if you decide to go for a set post some pics.

Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I have a set that has a very low serial. 3 digits total. 1-LW, but was wondering if the low serial number is something they did with lefty irons, or if the set was just early production? I have talked to PING about the set and they wouldn't tell me if lefty irons were stamped lower. I have the info somewhwere, but they were made a year prior to official release, but still I have never seen a righty set with less than a 5 digit serial number. Any information on how they determine serial numbers would be great! Are left handed clubs stamped in a different number sequence?

[quote name='ejschech' timestamp='1441073096' post='12242914']
I know this is an old thread; however, I've always had a fascination for the Eye 2 BECU. While the idea of having a set for posterity is ok, clubs are meant to be swung. My question is in 2015, can these clubs still hold up if they are reshafted and refurbished or are they just a fine piece of engineering from a previous generation? Also, would "updating" them ruin the resale value?
[/quote]

I'm putting together a mismatched set (non-matching serial numbers) of Eye 2 becu right now. 2-SW. Just missing a 3i

Going to reshaft them with S300's to try something a tad different. I did this to a set of stainless ones back in the 90's, worked great.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1441239137' post='12254220']
[quote name='ejschech' timestamp='1441073096' post='12242914']
[/quote]

I'm putting together a mismatched set (non-matching serial numbers) of Eye 2 becu right now. 2-SW. Just missing a 3i

Going to reshaft them with S300's to try something a tad different. I did this to a set of stainless ones back in the 90's, worked great.
[/quote]

Can't go wrong with S300s. I'm just gonna go with the stock shaft and see what happens, but I was thinking of going the same direction. I had a set of ISI becu that I put S300s in and they were glorious. I never hit more pins from outside 120 than with that set.

MM29 $10??? That's gotta be the steal of the month!

Bag  Ping DLX Black
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...