Opinions: YouTube golf creators to compete for spot in Myrtle Beach Classic

RSLP

11 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

You think FP is a 7-8 handicap? Seriously? Here is his GHIN: https://www.ghin.com/golfer-lookup/golfer/53616c7465645f5fe48e615716481417a2a3e7eeb0abe46a/club/11872

Also, Grant "low single digits" is laughable. He was toe to toe with Wesley Bryan in their Bermuda shoot out thing. No chance a "low single digits" is doing that. Grant's probably a +3 or +4 and FP is a +1. Inclined to agree about Lantz, but everyone in the field had to be no higher than 0.0 to be allowed to play.

I’ll give you grant is probably closer to scratch and maybe at times has been a + cap. He doesn’t hang close to either of the Bryan brothers on a tournament style course. But Perez isn’t anywhere near scratch if he’s honest. Just watch him play. And there were several of these guys that aren’t real 0.0 handicaps. You can write whatever you want to write on a scorecard but you can’t hide behind it when cameras are on you and there are no mulligans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gdane said:

I tend to lean harder into youtube golf content that is geared towards showcasing golf courses/storytelling  vs "x personality challenged me to a match", but gave some of these youtubers a shot based on their participation in this event. 

Someone needs to fill me in on the popularity of Luke Kwon.  The guy has the personality of a doorknob. 

Kwon has been on Tour and won something as well IIRC, so most of his draw is that he at least has some level of chops to discuss the Tour game and what it takes.

As to the event, I agree they should have been using footage from all of the creator's teams and done better editing. They did manage to show 90% of the shots being hit/landing, but they clearly had limited footage they drew that from and it was almost all handheld and showed in the final product. Very little showcasing of any of the personalities involved, which does nothing to take new eyes to their channels or to get hype for whoever wins events like these. The Good Good Desert Shootout was much better from that perspective.

Everyone who was there with the exception of the kid probably wanted to prove they aren't just a content creator and actually have game when the pressure's on. This was a great showcase of who has it and who doesn't. The only hurt here is for guys who have no aspirations to ever play pro golf even in a limited way as they certainly dinged their cred if they didn't play to a high level. The guys who just want more views & more money will survive just fine. 

Any of the YouTube guys who were within a shot or two of par or better should see it as a win. Watts no doubt uses it to feel even more comfortable playing to a high level in any events going forward and easily being able to preform even in front of the cameras. 

1 hour ago, Ty_Webb said:

You think FP is a 7-8 handicap? Seriously? Here is his GHIN: https://www.ghin.com/golfer-lookup/golfer/53616c7465645f5fe48e615716481417a2a3e7eeb0abe46a/club/11872

Also, Grant "low single digits" is laughable. He was toe to toe with Wesley Bryan in their Bermuda shoot out thing. No chance a "low single digits" is doing that. Grant's probably a +3 or +4 and FP is a +1. Inclined to agree about Lantz, but everyone in the field had to be no higher than 0.0 to be allowed to play.

Didn't the scores above basically prove his point?  Lol.

I don't give these guys clicks, I'm not into the golf influencer thing at all, I think its stupid... but you can't be super into golf and on IG and not see these guys occasionally.  There is NO WAY in hell I'd guess FP was a +, not in a million years.  Grant, I'll give you, but I would not guess he plays to a consistent plus either.

3 minutes ago, R_Swanson said:

Didn't the scores above basically prove his point?  Lol.

I don't give these guys clicks, I'm not into the golf influencer thing at all, I think its stupid... but you can't be super into golf and on IG and not see these guys occasionally.  There is NO WAY in hell I'd guess FP was a +, not in a million years.  Grant, I'll give you, but I would not guess he plays to a consistent plus either.

No I don't think so. I think one round under a lot of pressure that's very different from what they normally do and with a PGA Tour start as the prize must be difficult and not going to result in scores like they'd shoot normally. 

A bunch of them played in the "youtube championship" in Bermuda. Wesley Bryan won in a playoff over Grant after they both shot 68. On the course they were using for the PGA Tour event. I suspect they were not all the way back, at least on the par 3s, where they would have been saving the tees for the tournament, but he tied with a PGA Tour winner and he beat George in that and George made the cut in the PGA Tour event there.

FP hits it pretty straight and stuffs it with his wedges all the time. Good short game and he's a good putter. I quite comfortably buy that he's a plus 1 or so. 

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

16 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

No I don't think so. I think one round under a lot of pressure that's very different from what they normally do and with a PGA Tour start as the prize must be difficult and not going to result in scores like they'd shoot normally. 

A bunch of them played in the "youtube championship" in Bermuda. Wesley Bryan won in a playoff over Grant after they both shot 68. On the course they were using for the PGA Tour event. I suspect they were not all the way back, at least on the par 3s, where they would have been saving the tees for the tournament, but he tied with a PGA Tour winner and he beat George in that and George made the cut in the PGA Tour event there.

FP hits it pretty straight and stuffs it with his wedges all the time. Good short game and he's a good putter. I quite comfortably buy that he's a plus 1 or so. 

Brother. These fellas are in the business of content creation. That means they get paid by views. I’d imagine if Wes goes out and gets 4 up thru 4 in every little 9 hole match they play with grant or who ever they drag in a people would lose interest pretty quickly. It’s much more likely to keep viewers for the whole video don’t you think if it always comes down the the last hole or two ? I don’t imagine anyone lays down per se but I do believe that they are in the entertainment business. Like I said I’d imagine these scores are pretty accurate to how these guys actual handicaps and skill levels equate. That’s why the actual pros came out in the top 3rd of the field. Anyway it’s nothing of great importance and I respect your opinion on it. 

13 minutes ago, toddbournes said:

Brother. These fellas are in the business of content creation. That means they get paid by views. I’d imagine if Wes goes out and gets 4 up thru 4 in every little 9 hole match they play with grant or who ever they drag in a people would lose interest pretty quickly. It’s much more likely to keep viewers for the whole video don’t you think if it always comes down the the last hole or two ? I don’t imagine anyone lays down per se but I do believe that they are in the entertainment business. Like I said I’d imagine these scores are pretty accurate to how these guys actual handicaps and skill levels equate. That’s why the actual pros came out in the top 3rd of the field. Anyway it’s nothing of great importance and I respect your opinion on it. 

wesley drummed grant in a 20 min video the other day 5 up with 4 to play

• Like 3

On 2/24/2024 at 5:14 PM, Rearviewmirror said:

Weak head game:

Peter Finch - I love Peter's style and he seems like a genuine bloke. But I'd argue he's only eclipsed by Rick Shiels as the UK YT golfer most likely to go into a negative self-talk death spiral after a bad shot - 82

Micah Morris - seems to have legit anger issues and most likely to fire 3-4 OB - 87

Busta - I absolutely love watching Mason play, but as others have mentioned his short game gives me fits. If he hits greens in reg and can Texas wedge it when he doesn't, I could see him shooting a 75/76.

Madjack - I also love Cole, both him and Mason seem down to earth, but his putting isn't going to cut it and lack of length off the tee may cause problems to well defended greens - 86

Solid head game:

Grant Horvat - I think Grant seems relatively level headed (his "cut" series shows surprisingly good bounce back ability) - that said, not sure if he has potential for a death spiral too if he has a blow up hole. I could see him go under by 3-4 or shoot level par. So I'll give him a cautious 71 which I don't think gets it done.

George Bryan - I'd agree with others that his Korn Ferry and Q School experience gives him a serious edge. He seems able to stay surprisingly positive when the chips are down, and I could see him shooting low. Going to give him a 66 and hope he comes out swinging.

I've gotta say, not far off 🙂 Peter Finch played exceptionally well! Micah did 1 stroke better than I gave him, Madjack was 3 strokes better, and poor Grant had a nightmare. Sorry George couldn't do it!

Main takeaway is I never want to play golf anywhere near Morgan Deneen, and the finger snapping has to stop.

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf DF3

6 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

wesley drummed grant in a 20 min video the other day 5 up with 4 to play

Yes and if I’m not mistaken that didn’t even get put on his main channel. It was on one of the side channels. Appeared to be a day that was basically a rain out and they managed to get out just to throw up a little content. Think the whole video was about 12 minutes long. 

3 hours ago, ae1985 said:

Literally the GHIN link is right in front of your face to read but ok just ignore that.

Literally depends on scores you enter. They all had to be 0.0 to play in this tournament. They know that. Do you honestly think Micah or Cole are 0?? You can go to YouTube and watch all of the above play golf. You can honest watch Perez and Micah play golf and tell me you think they’re scratch ? 

30 minutes ago, toddbournes said:

Literally depends on scores you enter. They all had to be 0.0 to play in this tournament. They know that. Do you honestly think Micah or Cole are 0?? You can go to YouTube and watch all of the above play golf. You can honest watch Perez and Micah play golf and tell me you think they’re scratch ? 

A couple years ago Rick Shiels decided to see where his handicap was.  Essentially, when you become a PGA "Pro" you lose the handicap and just play off 0, so he hadn't one for more than a decade  This was after the revamp of the handicap system too, so it took less rounds to get one.  He played about 10-11 rounds, entered all his data truthfully.  He has a tendency to play difficult courses, and often farther back on the tees than he probably should. 

He had scores from 1 under to 12 over.  But because the course index was playing quite difficult on many of those courses/days, his official handicap ended up being something like +1.2. A +1 round turned into a -2.4 round.  His highest round that was +12 turned into +4.8, but then wasn't actually used in the new handicap rating.  The new rating also takes out individual hole scores greater than double bodies, so a triple or quad bogue, is scored no worse than a double. 

And this is a guy that is likely closer to FP level of golf, than George.  His biggest series is Breaking 75, and again, it is often at big venues with tough ratings.  He rarely actually breaks 75, often shoots 80.  Yet he is still maintaining a better than scratch handicap.

Edited by subrew

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

12 minutes ago, toddbournes said:

GHIN system seems to think FP is. I don't think he is lying about the scores he enters.

Fast forward to the 5m28s mark for him to show his scores, and his handicap rating:

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

29 minutes ago, toddbournes said:

To be fair Micah can shoot low, he won a 1 day event last year (or the year before) shooting something like -7? So realistically he would be a scratch player if he just knocked it round your local muni twice a week. He does seem to be in the middle of swing changes and has lost a bit of confidence which has effected his scoring, from what I can see.

I have only watched Cole play when they have had those trips away with Bryan bro's, Micah and Grant and Cole has won quite a few matches straight up against those guys. Would be solid enough to shoot low 70s regularly and maintain a scratch handicap.

The difference between those players and the likes of the Bryan Bro's shows through when its a really serious event or when playing a really tough course - and the fact that Wesley and George can grind out a level par round when playing poorly, whereas Micah, Cole etc can throw in some wild scores.

Edited by jaffabell

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

Toulon San Diego (2022), 32'', Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Green Star

TP5x

Im quite aware of how the handicap system works and very well aware of what being a scratch player entails. I also know that in the real world a guy who beats it around and literally can’t hit an iron high enough or generate enough spin to hold a green has to really exceptional at scrambling/putting to play anywhere near scratch golf. When you are trying to get up and down for par on every hole that’s incredibly hard to do. 

It’s rather silly to argue about but I’ll say this as my final piece…I play off about 5 and usually shoot somewhere in the 70s. Occasionally better and occasionally in the 80s and that’s not all at the same course all the time. And id be willing to play Perez or Micah for $1000 anytime they wanted to at any course they wanted to 18 holes stroke play if they play off scratch. 

3 minutes ago, toddbournes said:

It’s rather silly to argue about but I’ll say this as my final piece…I play off about 5 and usually shoot somewhere in the 70s. Occasionally better and occasionally in the 80s and that’s not all at the same course all the time. And id be willing to play Perez or Micah for $1000 anytime they wanted to at any course they wanted to 18 holes stroke play if they play off scratch. 

Not sure they read our forums.   Hit them up on their socials.

• Like 2

One round under the most intense pressure any of these YT guys have seen in a long time - maybe forever.  Of course scores might be a little higher than what they are capable of day-in and day-out.  However, I do agree that FP trajectory limits the courses he could really score on.  Solid iron shots that are midget in the nuggies high is a tough way to shoot par.

1 hour ago, Tpfol said:

Nick Stubbe (Fat Perez) shot a 30 on the front 9 of the Medalist, I dont think he needs to defend his handicap to anyone

FP is one of the best putters I've seen on YT next to Wesley.  Not surprised by that score.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

35 minutes ago, mosesgolf said:

FP is one of the best putters I've seen on YT next to Wesley.  Not surprised by that score.

His wedge play is freakishly good too and he rarely gets himself into trouble. He played poorly in this and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it, but for aforementioned reasons, that's not that surprising. For George B and definitely Matt Atkins, probably the other pros too, they play Monday qualifiers, which is basically what this was. It's their bread and butter, while for the content creators, this was completely outside of their wheelhouse.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

2 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

His wedge play is freakishly good too and he rarely gets himself into trouble. He played poorly in this and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it, but for aforementioned reasons, that's not that surprising. For George B and definitely Matt Atkins, probably the other pros too, they play Monday qualifiers, which is basically what this was. It's their bread and butter, while for the content creators, this was completely outside of their wheelhouse.

Not outside Finch’s - he’s played plenty of events but comps not his thing the last couple years and like most of those guys doesn’t practice much I’m sure. Of those outside the playoff to me the one who also could have won but not great with approaches and around the greens that day. 

FP seems like a good guy but IMO his game gets more credit than it deserves because of his “intangibles” vs. proficiency. 

• Like 1

It's nice for the YouTube crowd to get a chance to compete, but this kind of thing doesn't sit right with me, regardless of the "eyeballs" that they're getting for these tournaments. There are simply too many guys that deserve to play in a 16 for 1 qualifier against 8 guys who have no business being there. That being said, at least a few of them were once D1/collegiate golfers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kiawah said:

It's nice for the YouTube crowd to get a chance to compete, but this kind of thing doesn't sit right with me, regardless of the "eyeballs" that they're getting for these tournaments. There are simply too many guys that deserve to play in a 16 for 1 qualifier against 8 guys who have no business being there. That being said, at least a few of them were once D1/collegiate golfers. 

"Deserve" has nothing to do with it - I assume it's a sponsor's exemption and a great way to use it, but also IMO.