Can I hit blades?

AndyinCincy

No, no, no. The 790 irons are wonderful. You’ll get frustrated. Those beautiful blades will lose value immediately and you’ll rue the day you ever sought encouragement from this group. 

Buy a boutique blade putter for the $1500 the irons cost. Get a fancy cover, stamp the putter with your initials. That’s the type of blade you should have to scratch the itch. 

oh Hell, buy the irons and the putter. Get a new driver with an Autoflex shaft too. Please post pics in the “what golf stuff did you just buy” thread. 

Edited by JAM01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

when you play to a hdc between say 12-20 I don't think golf is about how good your good shots are but it's about how good your bad ones are. Can you hit them? probably but speaking for myself I get more pleasure from scoring well then the rare sweet feeling of a perfectly hit shot off a blade. At the end of the day it's about what makes you happy in your game, I played blade for many years because at my age (67) there were not a bunch of options with the exception of Pings so we all did. My last set of blades were McGregor Muirfields so it's been a minute for me but I don't think blades would deliver me the same enjoyment as the more forgiving models of today. There are some good looking game impovement irons out today and many better shafts for the people that just cannot look down at the heads that look like shovels. jmho

Edited by fred faldo
  • Like 2

Taylormade     M4     10.5

Taylormade     M4     16.5  3hl

Taylormade     M4     23 degree hybrid

Titliest             T300  5-GW

Vokey SM 7                54

Callaway PM grind    58

2015 Scotty Cameron GoLo 5

Titliest   Tour Speed

Golf Pride 2G white

I just came across a great deal on some brand new Mizuno 221s with Project X LS 6.0 shafts at 120 grams. I want to pull the trigger and buy them and I figure if I can't hit them I can always resell them and go back to the 790s, but am I being stupid? Is it just a waste of money?

Just substitute for the 4-5 irons and you'll be golden. Zero reason to worry. Rare recommendation from me to buy them!

I could make a long post but you can game them fine and you have enough SS. Enjoy. @AndyinCincy

Edited by JAMH03
misspelling
  • Like 1

I love WRX in the winter. "Blades, discuss". Fun.(But guys, cut the new folks on WRX some slack. yeah?)

OP? Get them if you have disposable income, and can try them without starving your children (or something). Also, I no longer have any clue what the term "blades" mean. I just ordered 245s for my 7 - PW. Are they "blades" (No, not in the traditional sense). But are they GI clubs. Also no, not in the traditional sense. There's about a dozen variations between pure blades and pure SGI. 

Don't think in terms of what category your choice is placed. Only matters what you feel like when you hit them, and what the ball does after you hit it. 

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

The danger is over rated. Blades are just like any other club. I like mine. Some folks think the 317STs are ugly, but the swing weight adjustment helped ensure a better fit.

You'll get into far more trouble with a shaft that doesn't fit.

Frankly, it's all in our heads. Play what looks good and you are excited about playing. That alone is worth far more than just about anything else.

I don't recall my Adams Irons playing straight as an arrow off the toe. The 0311Ps that I tried weren't magical, either. Ya want to know why?

I bet it is because I didn't want to game 0311Ps. I hated the idea, and so I hit them as I felt during the fitting. 😄

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

12 hours ago, bobfoster said:

I love WRX in the winter. "Blades, discuss". Fun.(But guys, cut the new folks on WRX some slack. yeah?)

OP? Get them if you have disposable income, and can try them without starving your children (or something). Also, I no longer have any clue what the term "blades" mean. I just ordered 245s for my 7 - PW. Are they "blades" (No, not in the traditional sense). But are they GI clubs. Also no, not in the traditional sense. There's about a dozen variations between pure blades and pure SGI. 

Don't think in terms of what category your choice is placed. Only matters what you feel like when you hit them, and what the ball does after you hit it. 

I wonder how many guys buy clubs in lieu of paying rent, mortgage or buying diapers.  

😂Pur-dee irons, and guaranteed long... play well. 

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

20 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Cut the new guy some slack ? Are you kidding ?

Can't you see how restrained the CB supporters, myself included, have been here ?

Nary a one of the usual suspects going off on blades in this thread - weariness and/or resignation I'm guessing. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

36 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Cut the new guy some slack ? Are you kidding ?

Can't you see how restrained the CB supporters, myself included, have been here ?

Nary a one of the usual suspects going off on blades in this thread - weariness and/or resignation I'm guessing. :classic_laugh:

Ha! Well there is that. Yes, probably somewhat restrained. Though I must say @teedub21's "And you could also search out the other 4,566,345,981 posts already made on this same topic" was spit-wine-on-my-keyboard-laughing funny. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I think there are so many blade like irons out there like the T100 or even T150 that you could find a compromise to your dilemma.  But the amount of forgiveness one gets from an iron to the amount of forgiveness one gets from drivers is minimal because the iron face is just so much smaller.

If you get blades, check the lofts to see how strong they are.  In some cases you may only need to start with the 5 iron if the PW is at 44.

14 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Totally. I'm getting older, and with age comes maturity.

And when you become mature, you realize that you don't actually suck at golf, you just need better clubs. 🤣

Maturity... yuck, what's that????

That could be the culprit behind me going from 620 MB to new T100.  Only I won't give up my long irons.  Just means that I spend more time loosening ole bones at the gym. LOL 

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Buy something that looks like a blade but has a lot of horsepower under the hood if you get my drift. I have the PXG 0317 Ts which look identical to 0317 ST blades . I get random comments from other golfers who look at my bag from afar like “whoa, he’s playing blades. He’s got game. Wish I was good enough to play blades. Crazy, even pros don’t play blades.” I just never correct them and reap the ego blade comments from other players while never actually having to game them 🙂

• Haha 1

Anyone can play blades.  It's good fun.  It's unlikely it'll lead to better scores, but it's possible. 

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 6i, 8i, PW - Ping i210

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10

P - Bettinardi BB5 / SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

On 2/20/2024 at 7:52 PM, AndyinCincy said:

About me: I'm 47 years old, 5'9" and 195lbs (still carrying my winter weight.) I have played for a long time but kind of irregularly. ...

Today, with the 790s, my 7 iron goes about 165-170 with the occasional flier going 180. Other than the occasional flier, I like the 790s, but still find myself staring at blades in the store. They're so damn pretty. But all I hear or read online is that they're only for "elite ball strikers" and "most PGA Tour pros don't even play them."

I'm going to pass on advice from semi-elite ball strikers I sometimes play with in scrambles: former small-college golfers.

Their story goes like this: In college, golfer played blades to a scratch HDCP, occasionally shooting under-par.

But, five years after graduation they had a job, a wife and two kids and a house to tend. His scores gradually went above 80 because, in part, he didn't have time to keep the swing blade-ready. A switch to GI or PD irons put the scores back in the 70s.

Analysis: The overall forgiveness of the GI and PD irons more than made up for the occasional successful knock-down 5i cut shot for a tight-pin birdie.

On 2/20/2024 at 7:52 PM, AndyinCincy said:

I'm 47 years old, 5'9" and 195lbs (still carrying my winter weight.) I have played for a long time but kind of irregularly.

Is this a recipe for getting and keeping your swing blade-ready?

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 2/21/2024 at 12:24 AM, moostache said:

I say play what makes you happy, as long as you keep up with the group in front of you 😂

Amen to that.

Nothing worse than than the blade playing, tip playing, shiny new club guys who watch way too much golf on TV and feel like pulling the flag and marking 2 ft putts...after sending one OB, 2 in the drink and chunking a chip shot. 🤣 DUDE! You're putting for a 9..pick it up or tap it in. 

Back on topic, just get a set of used blades and see how you like them. 

First swings of the year but I bought an old 712mb 6 iron off eBay with a modus 120 stiff in it because I wanted to try that shaft. Bent it to same loft and lie right before I hit the simulator ( gc quad )Only club I hit well today 185-190 soft draw felt amazing vs my 2019 t100 amt s300 which were very inconsistent but good shots went 183-186 with a ball speed about 129 vs 127. Not bad after taking a year off 🤷‍♂️. To the OP. I’d recommend doing something similar if you’re on the fence. Buy an old blade 6/7 iron off eBay for $40 with a shaft you like and see how it goes

golf is funny though. I’m a 7 and I feel like I could play blades but even if I hit 10 greens I feel like people would be judging me if I shot 80 instead of 72

edit. Also I’ve seen a bunch of people on YouTube bend blades and gi irons to the same loft and the distance and distance loss is quite close. Sometimes even favoring the blade in those tests. I can tell you one thing when you miss a blade it will feel a lot worse

Edited by AFcelica

OP, played in HS 30 years ago then life happened. Got the uber itch again in my mid 40's still with the GOATs in my bag (Ping Eye2 BeCU...fight me). Ended up moving to the OG P770s, great CBs with some T (men take it, so can long irons) 

Discovered GolfWRX (for better or worse to my wallet) and got the itch to go back to HS where I played Staff Blades. I *never* wanted these as gamers, just fun day sets. Then I discovered the Japanese sub forum..and well, ratholes were explored.

Used sets abound, very easy to satisfy the itch and not spend coin if you are patient. 

When presented with the opportunity to get a set of Baby Blades, I went CB1008: they are blade like enough but still gives me a nice cavity because I just don't want to hit a butter knife.

To each his own but when money is on the line its P790/770 in the bag for ne. When I want to work on game and just go for walk, the sexy comes along. The 4i however is art in my office...that doesn't go out. I'm not a masochist. 

Happy hunting, and try not to buy more than 3 sets of blades in the process. 😄 

7 hours ago, tets said:

Nothing feels like the buttery soft feel of a well struck Mizuno blade

And nothing feels better than the $10 my blade opponent hands me after almost every round. :classic_laugh:

Edited by nsxguy
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

1.  You're a 12, so I'd wager any amount of money I don't have your ball striking isn't as good as you think it is, but doesn't mean it isn't "good".  I bought into that if I only had a better short game bit for awhile as well as a 12 and higher, then. . . improved a bit of everything, especially ball striking and got a lot better.

2.  The club data means little -- get fit for your irons, whatever they are.

3.  Of course you can play blades, my first quality set were Staff Tour Blades (when just about everything was a blade) and used them for a long time, but freely admit Eye 2+ were a revelation and then eventually into various iterations of AP2s for a long time.  

4.  I'll still hit some "blade like" irons for fun at a fitting but I have found club and shaft combos that allow me to launch easier/spin the way I want and enough forgiveness for the times I'm not striking it like Rory, so 99% of the time.  My Apex 21s are perfect for my game (for now, haha). 

5.  Buy whatever fits your game and enjoy them! If they don't work, wait for the next Callaway double your trade in deal and you won't be hurt too badly and if you accumulate thousands of points you can cash in on a towel or a dozen balls, haha.  Having said that, if I was a youngster and guessing you are, I'd probably be sporting some shiny forged blades.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:52 PM, AndyinCincy said:

I apologize as this has probably been asked and answered many times, but I am new here and couldn't find what I was looking for in the search. 

About me: I'm 47 years old, 5'9" and 195lbs (still carrying my winter weight.) I have played for a long time but kind of irregularly. It gets cold here so I basically take 5 months off every year. Those other months, I'm about a 12 handicap. I'm a good ball striker but lack consistency in my short game. I've been playing 2019 Taylor Made P790s with Project X 5.5 shafts, which I believe those are 115 grams. 

From age 10 - 20, I played blades until I got some Tommy Armor 845s. I always felt like I hit the blades well. I'd sometimes even play a 2 iron. My ball flight has always been on the high side with a draw. Misses are usually left. Today, with the 790s, my 7 iron goes about 165-170 with the occasional flier going 180. Other than the occasional flier, I like the 790s, but still find myself staring at blades in the store. They're so damn pretty. But all I hear or read online is that they're only for "elite ball strikers" and "most PGA Tour pros don't even play them."  So, clearly not for me, right? BUT...I just came across a great deal on some brand new Mizuno 221s with Project X LS 6.0 shafts at 120 grams. I want to pull the trigger and buy them and I figure if I can't hit them I can always resell them and go back to the 790s, but am I being stupid? Is it just a waste of money?

Ideally, I'd go try them out first but by the time I found a place that has them to hit and make an appointment, the ones I'm looking at will likely be gone. Should I pull the trigger? Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with having 2 sets of clubs.  If you stick around here long enough, you will understand.

• Haha 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

On 2/21/2024 at 2:38 PM, ajbillings said:

I like what John K Solheim said about blades in one of the Ping podcasts..he said with blades he noticed that he'd hit his intended target line more often. On mishits he said in his experiences with game improvement irons you'd still get a lot of the distance but it would be more offline (his miss is left and with game improvement irons it was left and long) and with blades it would hold the line better and just come up shorter. When I played G25 irons vs now with i59/Blueprint S irons I can kind of see what he is saying. With the players irons/blades the Trackman report will show the grouping closer to the target line but maybe a little bigger dispersion north to south and where with a game improvement iron the line has more consistent distance (north to south) but bigger dispersion east to west. Sole design, delivery, etc. all are in play as well and YMMV

He probably knows what he is talking about, lol, but whenever I test things that become progressively more GI and these days almost always have hotter faces, it is the north-south dispersement that is the seriously big issue not side to side and although I'm no pro, I don't need too hot irons.  

But erring on the less GI to a point for me is always better around the greens and I've played small, forged wedges and gotten along just fine with them.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 6:48 AM, hook_or_slice said:

The way you are asking this question,  the horse has left the barn, the can of worms is open.

Just buy them.

On 2/20/2024 at 11:25 PM, nsxguy said:

My friend, you are too far 'round the bend. Nobody's going to change your mind - you're just looking for encouragement.

Just get them, give them a real try, and go from there. :classic_wink:

That obvious, huh? 😉 I purchased them a few hours after my post LOL. Went to the range with them once and played with them last Saturday. Had some good shots and some bad, but with it being the first time I've played this season it's hard to tell what is me and what is the club, so I will give them awhile before making any decisions. The fact it was super wet out didn't help my confidence either. 

I can already tell the hard part is going to be relearning my distances. I thought that based on the weaker lofts between my P790s and the 221s I could basically add one club to what I normally hit with the P790s. I found that worked on some clubs and not on others. Hoping for a string of nice weather to get to know them better. 

Thanks for all the nice replies. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

221s are great irons.  If you struggle with the long irons just combo with the 223 or 225.  I've swapped to the 225 4 iron, as it gives better gapping and lands a bit softer than my MP20 4 iron.   

Edited by MattC555
  • Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

When I started playing golf 25 years ago, I was an absolutely TERRIBLE iron player. Awful!  I am a former pro baseball player, so I could move the clubs athletically. I became proficient with my driver and woods fairly quickly. My shirt game and putting were ok, but I could hit an iron to save my life. 

My “fix” what is to go bigger and more forgiving. I started out playing players irons because I found them for ridiculously cheap price. I moved into G.I. irons like the Cally X12s and Cleveland TA5s (gunmetals - sweet sticks!). No improvement. I even went so far as to go graphite shafted, Cally Hawkeyes - big, fat-bottomed ugly spuds with like a half pound of tungsten in the sole. I simply could not hit them. 

I was playing a round with my buddy one day and smoked a drive dead center on a par five. I had 190 to the pin and grabbed the Hawkeye 5 iron. I hit an awful squirt/shank into a green side pond that resulted in me flinging the 5 iron 50 yards down the fairway in frustration (I almost never throw clubs). My buddy - who plays to scratch - gives me a quick on course lesson and hands me his iron to hit a shot since I was empty handed. I hit it perfectly. I mean - really well. 

The iron was a Titleist 680 with a rifle 5.0 shaft. It was tiny. It was awesome!  I played out of his bag the rest of the round and hit some good shots along with the bad. I enjoyed hitting the blades, which itself was an improvement because I NEVER enjoyed hitting the other irons I had owned. 

The next day, I was the proud owner of a set of Titleist 690MBs and I played blades almost exclusively for about 15 years. My iron play became the strength of my game. I am also now an iron geek of the highest order. I love trying out new irons and switch often for the experience of playing a new set. 

My point in all of this is that you definitely CAN hit a blade. You might even find you hit them better than other types of irons. Regardless, for the vast majority of us, the point of this game is to have fun and find a point of passion to provide an escape from the stress of daily life.   If you play for scores, then worry about what you hit “best.”  Otherwise, play what brings you joy!

I’m off to buy some Pro 221s!  Thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 3