2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Selecting a club fitter

kamaaina1

High-handicapper here...  Never been fitted before, and in the market for a new Driver.  Out of the fittings in my general area (Vancouver, WA) which would suit me best?

1. Golf Galaxy
  2. Champion Golf Fitting https://championgolffitting.com/ (local fitter & repair)
  3. Club Champion  *don't need a $1000 driver though... 🫣
  4. Manufacture demo days at local courses 

Ping G430 LST 9.0 - Alta CB 55-S // G430 Max 5-wood - HZRDUS Red RDX 70 // G430 4H-22 - HZRDUS Red RDX 80

Mizuno JPX 923 HM 4-P / Recoil 780 ES // Vokey SM8 50-54-58

Ping PLD Anser 2 Satin // Bridgestone Tour B RX

golf2b.png

I would avoid club champion at all cost. 

• Like 1

WITB

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 LS - Ventus TR Blue 6x (44 3/4)

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 - Ventus TR Blue 7x

3 Utility: Srixon MKII - Graphite Design DI 95x

Irons: Cobra Tour 4-PW LA Golf L Series 120x

Wedges: Cobra SB 50, 54, 58 LA Golf L Series Wedge flex

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini

Balls: TP5X

#2 & 4 would be my preference if forced to choose. I'd need a bit more info from #2. For example, does he fit inside or out? IMHO if you can get fit outside where a fitter can see actual ball flight is a huge plus.  On turf or mats (only important if you're getting fit for irons turf interaction is vital).  Range balls or premium?  I'd want some referrals to check out his track record.  Does he offer OEM products or leans more to non OEM stuff. 

As for a demo day fitting with an OEM you're gonna be restricted to that brand.  Same questions as to in or out and such. 

Option #1 and #3 I would avoid like the plague.  

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

TaylorMade 16.5 Stealth HL

Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 5 thru AW
Vokey SM8 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM8 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Odyssey 38" Tank #7 (a work in Progress)

34 minutes ago, mjf34g said:

#2 & 4 would be my preference if forced to choose. I'd need a bit more info from #2. For example, does he fit inside or out? IMHO if you can get fit outside where a fitter can see actual ball flight is a huge plus.  On turf or mats (only important if you're getting fit for irons turf interaction is vital).  Range balls or premium?  I'd want some referrals to check out his track record.  Does he offer OEM products or leans more to non OEM stuff. 

As for a demo day fitting with an OEM you're gonna be restricted to that brand.  Same questions as to in or out and such. 

Option #1 and #3 I would avoid like the plague.  

#2 uses the local driving range with inside and outside fitting, with Wilson Full-flight range balls on mats (I'm fitting Driver only).  Personal experience and word-o-mount reputation good.  He modified my old clubs for my Son with great results.  OEM offerings; Mizuno, Ping, Callaway, T/M, Srixon, and Wilson.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9.0 - Alta CB 55-S // G430 Max 5-wood - HZRDUS Red RDX 70 // G430 4H-22 - HZRDUS Red RDX 80

golf2b.png

I haven't used 2 because they aren't in my area.  However, some Golf Galaxies get a bad rap because some of the fitters are just trying to sale a club - any club.  I am lucky that i have become friends with several of the team members and know who to trust.  Most have a master club fitter, PGA professional and GM.  In my case I trust all 3, so they know telling me this isn't the club for me isn't a problem.  I have also used Club Champion and tried lots of different heads and shafts during the fitting.  They give you a spec sheet on what you should order and the end of the session.  I have taken those sheets and ordered on line or thru your local retailer the same setup and saved hundreds of dollars.  Don't get caught in the trap of them trying to sale you a $500 dollar shaft - most OEM offer very similar shafts and no up charge unless you just want a Ventus or exotic shaft.  At the end of the day - you want to get fit and it boils down to who do you trust and the numbers you are seeing while testing.  I don't have the expertise to move weights and adjust lofts around to get the desired numbers, and I was recently shocked how much moving the weights around on my Cobra Darkspeed changed the numbers for the better.  

Good luck and hope this helps.  I am sure there are a lot of other opinions from mine but that is my honest feedback to your question.

If you do use Club Champion just establish your budget before hand, people that complain about their club quote don't establish a price point with the fitter so they just fit you to "the best" if you say OEM options or shaft upgrades max $xxx you should be fine.

You also don't have to buy from them which many apparently don't know as well. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

If you do use Club Champion just establish your budget before hand, people that complain about their club quote don't establish a price point with the fitter so they just fit you to "the best" if you say OEM options or shaft upgrades max $xxx you should be fine.

You also don't have to buy from them which many apparently don't know as well. 

My experience with Club Champion is that they have a crazy upcharge even for standard shafts. I was fitted for a set of Srixon ZX5 irons with a standard Srixon steel shaft offering and they wanted $2400 for a set that I could order directly from Srixon for $880 with the exact same components (shaft, grip, etc.).

Just now, AzRoger said:

My experience with Club Champion is that they have a crazy upcharge even for standard shafts. I was fitted for a set of Srixon ZX5 irons with a standard Srixon steel shaft offering and they wanted $2400 for a set that I could order directly from Srixon for $880 with the exact same components (shaft, grip, etc.).

Which I fully agree is crazy because they say "you're buying each component and paying for the build" which is why you don't have to buy from them. I didn't buy my 3W from them I bought it direct from Callaway for $200 less. I just use CC as a fitting resource as I have a relationship with the fitter, they have all the gear but I won't buy from them from their costs. I know they're building it but so can my buddy in his shop or the OEM. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

at least call Ben, and speak to him about it: https://www.thetourvan.com/

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 12 degree Driver , stiff shaft

3 Maltby Hy , stiff shaft

Maltby KE4 Max 4-GW w/ TT Score S Flex

Maltby MAX Milled Wedges 52 and 56 degrees w/ TT DG 120 S Flex 

Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle Putter

6 hours ago, kamaaina1 said:

High-handicapper here...  Never been fitted before, and in the market for a new Driver.  Out of the fittings in my general area (Vancouver, WA) which would suit me best?

1. Golf Galaxy
  2. Champion Golf Fitting https://championgolffitting.com/ (local fitter & repair)

1 and 3 are both completely dependent on the individual fitter; see if you can find people who’ve been to each, and talk specific names.  Do NOT take pot luck with a fitting, ever, especially in a big box.  Golf Galaxy has some great club fitters, but they’ve also got guys who just store employees with only rudimentary fitting knowledge.

Club Champion is going to cost a LOT.  

I’d stay completely away from true “demo” days, which are exactly that.  Those days usually only have 1 brand, 30 minute appointment slots, and the “fitter” is not only much too busy, but also may or may not be a qualified club fitter.  A fitting day is much, much better, but again, you’re dealing with only one brand.  

Whatever you do, try your best to find out who the fitter is.  You’ve probably got buddies who’ve been fitted; ask around and see what they think.

2 hours ago, DonatelloNobodie said:

Beware. "Club Fittings" are often just sales techniques.    Try telling the "fitter" that you just want specs, and plan to shop for the best price.

Honestly, as a fitter, if somebody told me "hey man, I'm just here for the numbers but I am buying elsewhere for who gives me the best deal" I am 10000000% phoning that fit in. I don't care even if you have paid the fitting fee, I have lost all interest the minute that comes out of your mouth.  Money lost aside, that says to me that you care so little about my knowledge, expertise, and opinion that you won't even attempt to try and support me by keeping me in business.  Sure, I will do the fit, but once we find something "okay", that is about as far as it is going, I am not going to fine tune near as much as I would normally.  At the end of the day, I don't really care if you buy from me as I know people have different motivations and such, but just be honest about a budget as @MattM97says instead, you are going to get a much better fitting out of me because I at least have a chance to try and do my best work given the parameters.

If you come in and say "hey I have $600 to spend on a driver" then I know I'm sticking to OEM and will find something that works.  If you tell me you don't care that you just want the best for your game, I will fit you like you own 6 houses all over the world, and make a high 7 figures salary per year, and fit you for the best for your game, if that means Autoflex in a Black Ops Tour Driver, then so be it. That's what works. At least give me a chance to try and make a sale out of it.  No it isn't my sole motivation, but I am not going to pretend either that my boss doesn't give two Fs if I don't sell anything for 3 weeks either despite doing good fits.  He's going to pull me into his office and ask me what's up. 

Come in with a budget, regardless of where you get fit, and see what happens.  You don't go into a Audi dealership asking to test drive the fully kitted out A7 model when you really want a baseline Jetta.  I would expect the same courtesy, even if you are paying $50-$100 to come in to see me as a "service". Give me a budget, let me do my job, and then walk away but don't demean me by saying to my face I am definitely not buying from you.  It's insulting.

Edited by WristySwing
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

7 hours ago, kamaaina1 said:

1. Golf Galaxy

Coming from 20 years of fitting experience, there is a fine line between what is fittable and what isn't.  Be honest with yourself, if you don't have a consistent miss, then fitting is probably not in the cards right now and you would be much better off spending that $500+ on lessons since you already have a driver that is fairly current. There's nothing worse than having someone come in, hitting it all over the map 45 minutes and having them mope and getting more and more frustrated as the fit goes on.  There is nothing beneficial coming from that and I am going to send you home to get it straightened out before telling you to drop me a line.  The absolute worst we had in our shop was a guy who proceeded to basically sky the ball for 60 minutes in a row all the while proclaiming that he normally hits it about 260 outside and he doesn't know what is going on.  He came back in a second time, same thing.  We sent him to our outdoor facility as maybe it was confinement nerves.  Nope.  The outdoor fitter texted us a photo of 3-4 wedge like divots side by side saying this was from the same guy hitting driver.

Do yourself a favour, if you can't hit the ball about 200 yards with some sort of predictable miss, fitting is not in the cards at the moment. 200 yards is important because at not too much under that the ball speed is really not there to see too much improvement and you will be wondering why you even bothered in the first place.  I have fit more women, seniors, and beginners in my time to know that unless there is something massively fundamentally wrong with the first club making them hit it drastically away from the middle, that a new club is going to see maybe 7-8 yards at most at those speeds.  The predictable miss is important because with a big 2, or even 3 way miss, it is all fundamentals at that point.  Heck, even a 1 way miss is all fundamentals but at least you can get a club that mitigate that miss in most scenarios with adjustable drivers these days.  If you're not there, lessons and speed training is going to help your handicap much, much more than a fitting will at this stage.

Edited by WristySwing

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

18 minutes ago, WristySwing said:

Coming from 20 years of fitting experience, there is a fine line between what is fittable and what isn't.  Be honest with yourself, if you don't have a consistent miss, then fitting is probably not in the cards right now and you would be much better off spending that $500+ on lessons since you already have a driver that is fairly current. There's nothing worse than having someone come in, hitting it all over the map 45 minutes and having them mope and getting more and more frustrated as the fit goes on.  There is nothing beneficial coming from that and I am going to send you home to get it straightened out before telling you to drop me a line.  The absolute worst we had in our shop was a guy who proceeded to basically sky the ball for 60 minutes in a row all the while proclaiming that he normally hits it about 260 outside and he doesn't know what is going on.  He came back in a second time, same thing.  We sent him to our outdoor facility as maybe it was confinement nerves.  Nope.  The outdoor fitter texted us a photo of 3-4 wedge like divots side by side saying this was from the same guy hitting driver.

Do yourself a favour, if you can't hit the ball about 200 yards with some sort of predictable miss, fitting is not in the cards at the moment. 200 yards is important because at not too much under that the ball speed is really not there to see too much improvement and you will be wondering why you even bothered in the first place.  I have fit more women, seniors, and beginners in my time to know that unless there is something massively fundamentally wrong with the first club making them hit it drastically away from the middle, that a new club is going to see maybe 7-8 yards at most at those speeds.  The predictable miss is important because with a big 2, or even 3 way miss, it is all fundamentals at that point.  Heck, even a 1 way miss is all fundamentals but at least you can get a club that mitigate that miss in most scenarios with adjustable drivers these days.  If you're not there, lessons and speed training is going to help your handicap much, much more than a fitting will at this stage.

Noted on both posts.  Definitely don't want to waste a fitter's time.  My fundamentals can definitely use improvement.  Average drive is 190+/- and not looking for overnight improvements with new driver.  I might be wrong here but my thinking was if I got fitted with a proper head and shaft, that might help me out.  I have almost eliminated my direct slice, and I'm hitting the sweet spot more often.  But there's still something missing.  What's driving this is my 14 year old Son really likes my driver and can hit it pretty well, so the plan was to give him the driver and Dad could get a new driver 😉  I will talk to the potential fitter with my thoughts.  Fitting may not be in my cards now.   

Thank you all for your insights!

golf2b.png

1 hour ago, kamaaina1 said:

Noted on both posts.  Definitely don't want to waste a fitter's time.  My fundamentals can definitely use improvement.  Average drive is 190+/- and not looking for overnight improvements with new driver.  I might be wrong here but my thinking was if I got fitted with a proper head and shaft, that might help me out.  I have almost eliminated my direct slice, and I'm hitting the sweet spot more often.  But there's still something missing.  What's driving this is my 14 year old Son really likes my driver and can hit it pretty well, so the plan was to give him the driver and Dad could get a new driver 😉  I will talk to the potential fitter with my thoughts.  Fitting may not be in my cards now.   

Thank you all for your insights!

If you are around 200 with a consistent slice, then yes this can absolutely help.  The biggest issues with trying to fit someone is centre-faced contact.  If you cannot do that, then it is a long 60min.  If you are hitting it mostly middle, with a fade/slice, then absolutely, a more draw-biased driver with a properly fitted shaft could absolutely help with that.  One of my better fits this year was a guy who came in and couldn't hit driver more than about 240 most of the time with a wild slice.  He had shortened his driver to like 43.5" in desperation and it was so light and stiff he couldn't do anything with it.  A quick shaft change later and a little bump in loft on hist current driver using the adapter had him hitting it close to 300 a few times and significantly straighter.  I am not saying this is the norm and you should expect it, but even a 10-12 yard gain with 1-2 extra fairways hit is a huge improvement IMO.

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

4 hours ago, DonatelloNobodie said:

Beware. "Club Fittings" are often just sales techniques.    Try telling the "fitter" that you just want specs, and plan to shop for the best price.

It’s tiresome hearing this. Ever been to a demo day and hit something awesome, order it and hit the new one awful? Most likely because the build was bad. The build is just as important as the fitting. Establishing a relationship with a fitter/builder can be extremely beneficial. Playability guarantees and constant connection to ensure performance. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TKOpenguin said:

It’s tiresome hearing this. Ever been to a demo day and hit something awesome, order it and hit the new one awful? Most likely because the build was bad. The build is just as important as the fitting. Establishing a relationship with a fitter/builder can be extremely beneficial. Playability guarantees and constant connection to ensure performance. 

It's no use even arguing with these people.  They'd rather buy 4 or more items a season with random shafts, pay to get them spec'd for loft and lie each time, fresh grips, etc., hit them for a  few rounds + range sessions and then re-sell them.  It isn't the fitting that is actually bad at the end of the day with these guys, its the thrill of the hunt.  They don't realize that by the end of it all, had they just paid for a good fitting in the first place and waited for a sale or that specific used set to show up at X point in the future, they would actually be further ahead.  I've had guys I specifically fit into club A that got them exactly what they wanted (longer, straighter, higher, lower, whatever, it doesn't matter), only to get an email from them a few weeks later asking if club B, that is entirely different will be fine because it is such a great deal.  Or they email asking for a loft and lie fit and come in with club B and claim what a good deal it is, only for them to hit it the exact same as their old set and they get frustrated that everything we do to try and fix it isn't working...because shocker...it isn't the fitted club.

These types of players also severely misconstrue what a quality fitting is.  A fitting is not going into a big box store, asking the kid scrolling his phone to unlock the demo case so they can hit the new TM and Callaway drivers with whatever the most exotic X flex shaft is at the time.  Nor is it going to a branded demo day and getting fit into that specific companies newest model crammed into a 30 min window when there's a lineup 5 deep of guys waiting their turn, or going to a multi-vendor demo day where you have to fight every Joe Weekend off for access.  It is a dedicated 60-90 minute session, one on one, in a reasonably quiet place with access to dozens of different shaft and head combinations, with the ability to manipulate shaft weight, type, length, grip size, loft, and lie on the fly along with changing heads.  It includes a good launch monitor with head tracking data and impact location  with someone that can explain in detail why they are making the changes they are, and what the desired effects are.  Even if the desired effects don't showcase in that exact combination, there is a clear understanding of what the desired outcome is and what the player should be looking for. 

Edited by WristySwing
  • Like 3

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

14 hours ago, WristySwing said:

Come in with a budget, regardless of where you get fit, and see what happens.  You don't go into a Audi dealership asking to test drive the fully kitted out A7 model when you really want a baseline Jetta.  I would expect the same courtesy, even if you are paying $50-$100 to come in to see me as a "service". Give me a budget, let me do my job, and then walk away but don't demean me by saying to my face I am definitely not buying from you.  It's insulting.

It may not be how you do business but many fitters want to charge you for an Audi A7 when delivering a baseline Jetta. I go to a fitter to get fit for the best set of clubs for me, regardless of cost, but I don't expect to and won't pay a premium for those clubs. If the fitting fee, retail club price, and maybe a small club spec check fee doesn't offer enough profit for them they are in the wrong business IMO.

52 minutes ago, AzRoger said:

It may not be how you do business but many fitters want to charge you for an Audi A7 when delivering a baseline Jetta. I go to a fitter to get fit for the best set of clubs for me, regardless of cost, but I don't expect to and won't pay a premium for those clubs. If the fitting fee, retail club price, and maybe a small club spec check fee doesn't offer enough profit for them they are in the wrong business IMO.

Which is the point Matt made above, and I am supporting. If you tell your fitter "I am open" and they fit you into the best combination for your game, you can't be mad it costs an upcharge cost over top of the baseline model if that is what truly fits you best.  The whole argument about whether shafts are worth it or not is an entirely different argument that I frankly don't have the energy to entertain at the moment as I believe both sides have valid arguments, and its not worth opening up that Pandora's box for the nth time this week. If you go to a Titleist fitting day, a PGASS Tour Van fitting, a local premium fitter like CC, TS, HS, etc., and say "just fit me", and you end up in the TSR3 with a UB-6 in it in each of those, you can't be upset that it is going to cost you an extra couple hundred dollars to get that over top of the baseline TSR3 that you can walk into any big box store and pay $X for. Titleist has deemed that shaft loses them money until they upcharge it $Y. 

Now, again, if you are coming from the argument that you go to CC or TS or HS and they want to charge you $600 for the head, $500 for the shaft, and $15 for the grip, then sure I could see that being a tick off for some because they could probably pick that some combination for like $800 direct from Titleist.  However, one of the top posts in this forum right now is someone who bought direct from Taylormade a set of 2023 P7MCs, the lofts and lies are all out of spec from what was ordered, the SWs are out by at least 1.5 points, and half the grips aren't even on all the way. Sure, that can happen from anywhere of course, but the allure with most premium club fitting/assembly places is the guarantee that stuff like that is exceedingly rare.  

My argument is if you find yourself in this latter situation, where you are fit into a model that happens to be stock in a club, and the fitter goes for the upcharge first of the head + shaft + grip sale, just politely ask if that combination is available from the OEM.  Done, easy.  If they push back with some nonsense saying no or getting defensive about the build, then you walk.  I have worked in a place that offers a la carte pricing as our main business model for over 5 years now and I have never once been miffed at someone opting for an OEM build if that was their budget all along.  In fact, when someone is on the fence I often tell them to get the OEM club instead and if they are not happy with it, the cost of the upgraded shaft doesn't change anyways, all they will be out is a new adapter and a grip vs. paying for the new shaft right now.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

3 hours ago, WristySwing said:

It's no use even arguing with these people.  They'd rather buy 4 or more sets items a season with random shafts, pay to get them spec'd for loft and lie each team, fresh grips, etc., hit them for a  few rounds + range sessions and then re-sell them.  It isn't the fitting that is actually bad at the end of the day with these guys, its the thrill of the hunt.  They don't realize that by the end of it all, had they just paid for a good fitting in the first place and waited for a sale or that specific used set to show up at X point in the future, they would actually be further ahead.  I've had guys I specifically fit into club A that got them exactly what they wanted (longer, straighter, higher, lower, whatever, it doesn't matter), only to get an email from them a few weeks later asking if club B, that is entirely different will be fine because it is such a great deal.  Or they email asking for a loft and lie fit and come in with club B and claim what a good deal it is, only for them to hit it the exact same as their old set and they get frustrated that everything we do to try and fix it isn't working...because shocker...it isn't the fitted club.

These types of players also severely misconstrue what a quality fitting is.  A fitting is not going into a big box store, asking the kid scrolling his phone to unlock the demo case so they can hit the new TM and Callaway drivers with whatever the most exotic X flex shaft is at the time.  Nor is it going to a branded demo day and getting fit into that specific companies newest model crammed into a 30 min window when there's a lineup 5 deep of guys waiting their turn, or going to a multi-vendor demo day where you have to fight every Joe Weekend off for access.  It is a dedicated 60-90 minute session, one on one, in a reasonably quiet place with access to dozens of different shaft and head combinations, with the ability to manipulate shaft weight, type, length, grip size, loft, and lie on the fly along with changing heads.  It includes a good launch monitor with head tracking data and impact location  with someone that can explain in detail why they are making the changes they are, and what the desired effects are.  Even if the desired effects don't showcase in that exact combination, there is a clear understanding of what the desired outcome is and what the player should be looking for. 

On top of that they also say fittings indoors are useless and should only do range fittings to see ball flight mean while the range they are getting fit at has 5 year old Pinnacle range balls and probably no longer round anyways. 

Like you said some people can't be helped in this situation, but the ones that do know what they want and how to go about it make things easier  I guess. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

To me fitters fall into two buckets:

1: Focused primary on OEM/fitting cart.  Most OEMs have a documented process and they're all pretty similar.  For irons, the Mizuno optimizer gets you in the ballpark pretty quickly.  Drivers they're mostly looking at launch monitor numbers and trying to get you in a window.  I did get lucky on one fit where two iron shafts gave similar numbers but fitter said visually, I swung one better(he was right).  Sometimes you'll have to take control of there's a combo you just want to test out.  When you order, it will come from the OEM and hopefully the shop will spec check it for you.

2:  The full custom fitter.  These dude have a million shafts hanging from the walls and can put together almost anything for you.  They will hand build your clubs, hitting every spec perfectly.  

Most golfers are probably ok with #1, unless you have an extreme swing which produces crazy numbers.  Or you are very skilled and that extra precision of a perfectly built club matters.  Average driving distance the last 20 years on tour has far outpaced amateurs because they can actually hit the center of the face most of the time and take advantage of all the tech.  

• Like 1