2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Basic turn for juniors

Yes, tell them they’re not allowed to bend their right arm at all.  Has to stay dead straight.  Left arm for lefties.

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

You would never tell a kid to keep his right arm dead straight when he throws a ball. 

Keeping the right arm artificially straight for as long as you can in the golf swing causes loss of balance, loss of the plane and loss of rhythm. Some people can get away with it but the golf swing is easier when all the major joints work in sync with the club to engage the anatomy. 

Forcing the right arm to stay straight is detrimental to making a good turn because the anatomy trains aren't engaged. Don't take my word for it, get in your golf posture without a club and swing your right arm back without letting the elbow fold. Now swing it back letting the elbow fold. Did you make a better turn keeping it straight or letting it fold? 

Mike Dunaway who was one of the longest straightest hitters who ever lived. Watch his right arm fold as he swings back. 

Edited by Zitlow

I appreciate it.  I really do.  I didn't mean to start an argument.  In a perfect world my players would all have swing coaches etc. but we are a poor Title 1 school.  My students have never held a club and simply don't have the funds for professional instruction.  I try to get them on the correct track to loving the game.  Then they will hopefully be able to better themselves down the line.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yuuuuuuup. They can elevate the shoulders, but no bending the trail arm. (Hinging the wrists bends the trail elbow almost all you need.)

Here's where your advice and your lack of experience actually coaching people fails you.

#FeelAintReal

They won't actually keep their arm straight. Nor does @MonteScheinblum or I want them to. But, when they're over-bending the trail elbow and moving the club too much around them…

I've got too many photos from lessons of me using a device we call "The Tube" which prevents people from bending the trail elbow much, and if there are commonalities, they are:

• MORE turn (forced to use their bodies to take the club around them more)
  • MUCH better impact positions

Your hero pulled the trail elbow quite far around his body and had to deal with getting "stuck":

image.png.aeda1bdcc29c64e14aaed64c80acf291.png 

You have a few quaint sayings, some quips, but you don't know what happens when the rubber meets the road, on the lesson tee, trying to get a golfer to change something they've always done.

Does anyone have some stupid easy drills to teach the backswing?

That was the OP’s question.  Lack of practical knowledge and pontificating is bad enough.  When you add poor reading comprehension it just makes you look extremely stupid and reveals the well known agenda.

Im sure my post will illicit another negative comment about my weakness of character…..lol

• Like 2

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

8 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

I appreciate it.  I really do.  I didn't mean to start an argument.  In a perfect world my players would all have swing coaches etc. but we are a poor Title 1 school.  My students have never held a club and simply don't have the funds for professional instruction.  I try to get them on the correct track to loving the game.  Then they will hopefully be able to better themselves down the line.

You didn’t start an argument.  A few posters have a well establish MO

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cv5qedhNTS2/?igsh=NzBmMjdhZWRiYQ==

BERTRAND RUSSELL

50 minutes ago, Skeeter said:

And… the "turn without bending the trail elbow" (exaggerated feel) will do just that, yeah:

image.png.0efe2e04771132872526dee23532912b.png

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

5 hours ago, Zitlow said:

You would never tell a kid to keep his right arm dead straight when he throws a ball. 

Keeping the right arm artificially straight for as long as you can in the golf swing causes loss of balance, loss of the plane and loss of rhythm. Some people can get away with it but the golf swing is easier when all the major joints work in sync with the club to engage the anatomy. 

Forcing the right arm to stay straight is detrimental to making a good turn because the anatomy trains aren't engaged. Don't take my word for it, get in your golf posture without a club and swing your right arm back without letting the elbow fold. Now swing it back letting the elbow fold. Did you make a better turn keeping it straight or letting it fold? 

Mike Dunaway who was one of the longest straightest hitters who ever lived. Watch his right arm fold as he swings back. 

You come from a different baseball world than I did obviously. Pitchers that didn't straightjen the right arm were called pie throwers and couldn't hit 50mph. Those that did exceed that speed developed major shoulder issues. Not that most baseball players except first base man develope shoulder issues, tbe pie throwers got em faster. 

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

7 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

You come from a different baseball world than I did obviously. Pitchers that didn't straightjen the right arm were called pie throwers and couldn't hit 50mph. Those that did exceed that speed developed major shoulder issues. Not that most baseball players except first base man develope shoulder issues, tbe pie throwers got em faster. 

My dad was a Major League Baseball player and I was a pitcher who was being recruited when an injury pushed me into golf.  Actually, I was a better baseball player than golfer.  I support your post.  You have to admit, failing on the understanding of one sport in order to epic fail on the understanding of another is an impressive feat.

• Like 2

BERTRAND RUSSELL

26 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

My dad was a Major League Baseball player and I was a pitcher who was being recruited when an injury pushed me into golf.  Actually, I was a better baseball player than golfer.  I support your post.  You have to admit, failing on the understanding of one sport in order to epic fail on the understanding of another is an impressive feat.

Baseball is really one on the cruelest sports to reach even the college level, especially pitchers, as we've started playing since 3-4 and repetitive motion injuries really stack up because we weren't warned back then what impromper throwing and other things eventually will do to you. It takes a real freak of nature to have a career in the pros, let alone a long one.

I tried to walk on at Ohio State but some clown stole my brand-new glove 2 weeks in and soured me on that idea. 

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

59 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Baseball is really one on the cruelest sports to reach even the college level, especially pitchers, as we've started playing since 3-4 and repetitive motion injuries really stack up because we weren't warned back then what impromper throwing and other things eventually will do to you. It takes a real freak of nature to have a career in the pros, let alone a long one.

I tried to walk on at Ohio State but some clown stole my brand-new glove 2 weeks in and soured me on that idea. 

Hey now - Jack needed it for a pickup game. 

IMG_3832.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Hey now - Jack needed it for a pickup game. 

IMG_3832.jpeg

jack was there a few decades before i was lol. The grandson of his #2 is about 10 years younger than me.

Edited by SNIPERBBB
  • Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

18 hours ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Thanks, I get what you're saying but you miss my whole point. Telling someone "they are not allowed to bend their right elbow, it has to stay dead straight" is terrible advice. 

His arms and body work together not independently from one another on totally separate planes. 

image.gif.90dac6f11630b469171d87f9f1272057.gif

Edited by Zitlow
  • Haha 1

After trying to teach my own kids, I'm going to side with @MonteScheinblum on this one. I arrived at about the same place.

We are fighting against human nature and 30 years of Montessori education, but seriously, why stand by and willfully allow folks to go down the wrong path?

Experience tells us that only a small percentage of folks will ever find the right path on their own. 

As usual, I'd argue that Monte's basic approach evinces a depth of knowledge and experience that is difficult to argue against. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

35 minutes ago, Zitlow said:

Thanks, I get what you're saying but you miss my whole point. Telling someone "they are not allowed to bend their right elbow, it has to stay dead straight" is terrible advice. 

His arms and body work together not independently from one another on totally separate planes. 

image.gif.90dac6f11630b469171d87f9f1272057.gif

All advice is terrible if you take it out of  context or don't provide additional context. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

22 hours ago, iacas said:

And… the "turn without bending the trail elbow" (exaggerated feel) will do just that, yeah:

21 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

That guy sucks, he will never keep his balance with a right arm that straight.

Can't even win the slam without an asterisk...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scottbox said:

I'm so glad the Ignore option was invented.

It has a flaw.  When someone responds you see it…🤪

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

24 minutes ago, mhudson111 said:

I think you don’t get it.  The OP asked for a drill, multiple coaches have recommended a drill, and you’re still talking about a full gamer swing.  Do you really not know the difference between a drill and competition? 🤔

Falls under the “I think I know what you should do but have no idea how to get you there” category of posts.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

At around P 1.5 the right ankle and knee have firmed up reaching the end of their travel. The hips, shoulders and arms get a free ride and open about 10-15*.

Without getting into what the wrists do which would open up another can of worms the right arm starts to fold engaging the anatomy trains turning the shoulder (right scap protracts) and hip winding up the right side storing potential energy to be released in the downswing. 

Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself. Get to where Sam is and fold your right arm. What happened? From there continue the momentum to the top. 

1573467450982.jpeg

16 hours ago, golferdude54 said:

There is a pressure point between the left thumb and right thumbpad for right handers, vice versa for lefties. Tell them to push down on their left thumb with their right thumbpad throughout the swing and their arms won't collapse. I coach high school at the moment and this works wonders with beginners.

Harrington says this is something he strongly emphasizes in his grip. Life line of the trail hand sitting on top of the lead thumb and pressing hard. 

On 2/28/2024 at 11:56 AM, iacas said:

+1, Rory also likes the split grip drill, right hand down below the grip. That forces you to feel like your right arm is high and straight as well