2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best grips?

Bestgrips microperf.

Leather. Humidity, rain or sweat no problem and no glove needed.

They are $25 a go but last years and years. Midsize available and undersize and they’re reduced taper.

• Like 3

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

No 1 Pro series is pretty good when wet. Pretty expensive, too.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

21 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

Looking for opinions on the best grip you’ve used. 

I currently use Winn midsize dri tac LT. 

want a soft grip that does well in the rain. 

These here are really tacky. You can actually hear the stickiness when you have a glove on and let go the club.

https://www.golfworks.com/avon-itomic-it2-black-golf-grip/p/av0020/

In addition get you some of the Hirzl gloves. The leather is treated with a tackified substance that as they get wetter they grip even better. 
https://hirzl.one/en/golf-en/trust-control-2-en

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I am a big fan of the Golf Pride CP2 Wrap. They're still (barely) under $10, super soft, have a nice tack to them and are more durable that I would have figured given how soft they are. Definitely my favorites at the moment

• Like 4

PING G430 Max 

Cleveland Launcher HALO Hy-Wood 18* | Cypher 40 S

Adams Boxer Pro Gold 20* | UST HYB 80 S

Rogue ST Max 5i | Mizuno JPX 923 HM 6-AW  | Nippon 950 GH Neo 

Cleveland CBX 2 52.11 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 56.10 | TT DG 120

Cleveland RTX 4 60.03 | TT Tour Issue S400

Cobra King Stingray 20

ChromeSoft 

43 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

These here are really tacky. You can actually hear the stickiness when you have a glove on and let go the club.

https://www.golfworks.com/avon-itomic-it2-black-golf-grip/p/av0020/

In addition get you some of the Hirzl gloves. The leather is treated with a tackified substance that as they get wetter they grip even better. 
https://hirzl.one/en/golf-en/trust-control-2-en

I saw those gloves! I’m going to get a pair especially for Scotland!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nessism said:

Best?  At what cost?  Many grips from the big companies are $12+ these days.  Nice, no doubt, but non-starters in my world.  

I use Karma Velour grips, $23/15 grips from Amazon.  They are simple rubber grips.  Nothing fancy, nothing bad.  Golf Pride says their Tour Velvet is the #1 grip on the pro tour.  The Karma's are 90% as nice, for pennies on the dollar.

Sorry for my rant.  It's just that some grips are more expensive than the shafts I use...

I’d use the tour velvet if I got free grips whenever too probably!

31 minutes ago, maxfnmloans said:

I am a big fan of the Golf Pride CP2 Wrap. They're still (barely) under $10, super soft, have a nice tack to them and are more durable that I would have figured given how soft they are. Definitely my favorites at the moment

I did order a cpx to try. My dad uses the cp2 and I didn’t like them too much. 

Beating out the Winn grips will be hard to do

• Like 1

My grips have to work in rain and cold.  I've tried many throughout the years and always come back to Tour Velvet.  

The last experiment was with Lamkin crossline which are exellent grips in nice weather.  I had a club fly out of my hands in the follow through of my swing a few months ago.  To be fair I was golfing in the rain and it was about 40f so there's that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL - Drop the Mic !!!!!!!!!

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GP MCC Midsize Red/Black. For some reason the red seems a touch softer and tackier than others I've used. Prefer the mostly all black MCC looks though. Z-cord in the summer are really good and I would prefer these but they much firmer.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

I use the CP2 wrap on my woods and hybrids and Super Stroke X Cross Comfort on irons and wedges.  I play without a glove and this combo works well for me at least. 

• Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

26 minutes ago, indianagolf2 said:

Surprised no iomic grips mentioned 

I’ve played MCC Plus4 Align for a couple seasons, but I bought a shaft here that has an Iomic grip that I really like.  

Vessel Players III Matte Grey Bag

Titleist TSR2 9° Driver (C1) | Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6s

TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° Mini Driver (-0.75°) | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

TaylorMade Qi10 5 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 4 Hybrid | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s

Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW Irons (1° Weak) | KBS Tour Black Pearl Stiff

Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 54D, 60T Wedges | True Temper DG120 Onyx S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X Proto Putter | KBS Black PVD 

Callaway Chrome Tour X Triple Track Ball

I play in Houston so we get blessed with humid and wet summers (most years).

Favorites:

Iomic Sticky 2.3 with a couple wraps underneath them - tacky to start and wiping down moisture with a towel keeps them tacky

Also like:

Lamkin Sonar+ Black - Feel these do really well with shock absorption, soft but not as "grippy" when wet

Star Sidewinder - Haven't played with these in rain or "soup bowl" humidity yet, but feel similar to the Iomics at about half the price

Here are a list of grips that I have been messing around with over the past couple years.  I do a lot of experimenting as a hobbyist club repair/builder.  I don't wear golf gloves and play midsize grips almost exclusively. I played Golf Pride Tour Wrap grips for years but needed a change after my wrist and hand injuries a couple years ago.

Best soft grip

Just about anything in the Winn Dri Tac series.  Awesome soft grippy feel. They might be too soft for some players and they do dampen transmission from ball striking. I played these after my wrist injuries a couple years ago and they made a world of difference. I get about a full season with them even with my hands sweating on them every other day. They tend to wear at the bottom thumb & forefinger area the most.  The durability in these have come a long way over the years and they worth every penny IMO.

Best cord grips 

Lamkin Utx    Tackiest and best feeling cord grip I ever used. Not too hard, or soft either. Excellent transmission of feel from ball striking.  I can hit these all day without a glove and my fingers feel great. I do sweat into the cord on these and they will get a little slick, but they recover really well with a good wipe down.  Worth every penny.

Best rubber/wrap grips

1.  Lamkin Sonar+ wrap grips.  I came across these by chance when buying my used i5 irons. These grips feel more like they are holding onto you than you holding onto them.  The fingerprint pattern works. They are reduced taper which I like because I hate adding tape under my grips. They are fairly firm but the fingerprint pattern make them feel much softer. Great transmission of feel.   I'm actually using the standard size in my i5 irons. Give these a wipe down every week or so and they will  last a very long time.  I'm falling in love with these.

2. Golf Pride CP2 wrap grips.   They are similar to the Lamkin Sonar+ with tackiness and have a little softer feel. Also have reduced taper.  Very durable and will probably last a very long time if you keep them wiped down. Worth every penny.

Best Cheap Grips   

1. Swing Science    Velvet series.   Stupid cheap.  Like 40 bucks for 13 grips?   The midsize velvet's are actually in between a midsize and jumbo but I liked them. They feel pretty decent.  They don't have the durability but are about 1/3 the cost.  

2.  Tacki Mac    Itomic Wraps.  The Itomic grips feel and play very soft for a rubber grip. 48 grams. Probably last forever with routine wipe downs. Feel transmission is OK.  Stupid cheap price.

Worst cheap grips   

Karma.  Used them on 4 of my older Vokey wedges.  Wore out on the lower thumb & forefinger area in about 3 weeks.  They also rubbed off onto my fingers leaving a black stain after a few shots.  Quality control is totally lacking.   Some lots are actually undersized after install...... and some were not.  There are better alternatives out there for cheap grips.

Edited by Port and Starboard
info
  • Like 2

When it start raining, the rain gloves come out.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

10 hours ago, OttoVonBizMarkie said:

I play in Houston so we get blessed with humid and wet summers (most years).

Favorites:

Iomic Sticky 2.3 with a couple wraps underneath them - tacky to start and wiping down moisture with a towel keeps them tacky

Also like:

Lamkin Sonar+ Black - Feel these do really well with shock absorption, soft but not as "grippy" when wet

Star Sidewinder - Haven't played with these in rain or "soup bowl" humidity yet, but feel similar to the Iomics at about half the price

I play in humid summers too.  Iomics are the best non cord option.

I like Pures (same rubber as Star) but you need to wear a glove IMO.  

9 hours ago, Itsjustagame said:

Unfortunately my favorite grip for several years has been the Pure DTX. Going to be looking for something different.

Try Star Grips. Word is that Pure “borrowed” their technology to start their company. I have some on wedges and they are really good. Not to mention, it’s the only grip company I’ve ever seen offer a 3yr warranty.

https://stargrip.com/

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

17 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I have GP Tour Wraps.  Soft and squishy and tacky and really great as long as they don't get wet.  Very slippery when wet.  

Kangaroo leather grips are probably the best that you can get.  

Tour Wraps are my favorite. Just wish they made them in +4. Until then I'll just keep adding a couple extra wraps of tape on the bottom hand. 

11 hours ago, Port and Starboard said:

Here are a list of grips that I have been messing around with over the past couple years.  I do a lot of experimenting as a hobbyist club repair/builder.  I don't wear golf gloves and play midsize grips almost exclusively. I played Golf Pride Tour Wrap grips for years but needed a change after my wrist and hand injuries a couple years ago.

Best soft grip

Just about anything in the Winn Dri Tac series.  Awesome soft grippy feel. They might be too soft for some players and they do dampen transmission from ball striking. I played these after my wrist injuries a couple years ago and they made a world of difference. I get about a full season with them even with my hands sweating on them every other day. They tend to wear at the bottom thumb & forefinger area the most.  The durability in these have come a long way over the years and they worth every penny IMO.

Best cord grips 

Lamkin Utx    Tackiest and best feeling cord grip I ever used. Not too hard, or soft either. Excellent transmission of feel from ball striking.  I can hit these all day without a glove and my fingers feel great. I do sweat into the cord on these and they will get a little slick, but they recover really well with a good wipe down.  Worth every penny.

Best rubber/wrap grips

1.  Lamkin Sonar+ wrap grips.  I came across these by chance when buying my used i5 irons. These grips feel more like they are holding onto you than you holding onto them.  The fingerprint pattern works. They are reduced taper which I like because I hate adding tape under my grips. They are fairly firm but the fingerprint pattern make them feel much softer. Great transmission of feel.   I'm actually using the standard size in my i5 irons. Give these a wipe down every week or so and they will  last a very long time.  I'm falling in love with these.

2. Golf Pride CP2 wrap grips.   They are similar to the Lamkin Sonar+ with tackiness and have a little softer feel. Also have reduced taper.  Very durable and will probably last a very long time if you keep them wiped down. Worth every penny.

Best Cheap Grips   

1. Swing Science    Velvet series.   Stupid cheap.  Like 40 bucks for 13 grips?   The midsize velvet's are actually in between a midsize and jumbo but I liked them. They feel pretty decent.  They don't have the durability but are about 1/3 the cost.  

2.  Tacki Mac    Itomic Wraps.  The Itomic grips feel and play very soft for a rubber grip. 48 grams. Probably last forever with routine wipe downs. Feel transmission is OK.  Stupid cheap price.

Worst cheap grips   

Karma.  Used them on 4 of my older Vokey wedges.  Wore out on the lower thumb & forefinger area in about 3 weeks.  They also rubbed off onto my fingers leaving a black stain after a few shots.  Quality control is totally lacking.   Some lots are actually undersized after install...... and some were not.  There are better alternatives out there for cheap grips.

Great breakdown.

I just acquired a used club with a Lamkin Sonar grip.  I really like it, hope it holds up in the rain.

I've had the same experience with Karma and other TV knockoffs with my fingers picking up the black color from the rubber material rubbing off.  The last experience was about two years ago and I swore never again with the cheap grips. 

I can get a few seasons out of Tour Velvet and they refresh well with a dish soap washing meaning the cost is more on par with cheap knockoffs due to longevity.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

if you like a cord grip go to Golf Works and try the Royal Linktech cord $5.49 per. feel great

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed TD 10.5

Callaway Steelhead XR   5 wood

Callaway GBB            20 degree hybrid

Callaway  B 21           4-PW

CBX Zipcore       48-54-58

2015 Scotty Cameron GoLo 5

Vice Pro Soft 

Golf Pride 2G white