Who else has all but stopped buying Hoing?

1 hour ago, azgreg said:

clubs.jpg

I've got a few rooms that look like that, minus the contraption on the left.

I suffer from all of the conditions listed on the first page. On top of that, I am surrounded by golf shops. I pass two on my cycle home - a boutique shop with artisan and miura just sitting out waiting for me to pick up. And another, a medium size box full of big names and a small used section. If I have time to kill, I might kill it there. The real killer is the online shop that is never more than an arm's length. 

I've only bought one club this year though. Hoping it's the one to fill that spot between the 4 wood and the 4 iron. We'll see. I think it's the one though. I still have to put together at a few sets, I've been meaning to, but I generally don't switch out anything too much. in the last ten years, I've had two drivers, one putter, a couple sets of wedges and two primary sets of irons. I've played maybe 5 out of the 40 sets of irons I have lying around. 

Last year, I only bought a few sets of irons out of curiosity (some Japanese classics). I'm gonna list them and hopefully they'll find a nice home outside Japan, where they will be appreciated. 

Your welcome.

Edited by Christen_The_Sloop

3 hours ago, azgreg said:

I bought 3 Nickent 3DX hybrids this week in an effort to complete the set. Two to go.

I’m falling behind, you say?

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Not good enough to think changing clubs frequently will do much for me, but every time I think I'm set with my golf equipment, something comes along that I just have to have because I'm certain it'll make my life easier and improve my game.  The latest is a "Revolve" golf bag with attachable wheels.  Now I only have to throw one piece of gear in the car and don't have to waste energy in the parking lot attaching the bag to a pull cart.  It'll knock 7 strokes off my game I tell ya!  I'm guessing I can knock off a few more strokes if I get me some of those sketchers slip-ins so I don't have to bend over to tie my shoes.  Damn you sketchers!

I’ve pretty much stopped changing out clubs each year. Regardless of claims of 15 more yards or more forgiveness with new drivers, every generation looks pretty much the same with a new paint job. 

I spend my money on new grips and apparel most of the time. It makes me happy for a lot less $$$.

In my 40's I hoed like crazy. Buying 3 to 4 drivers and a few sets of irons a year. In my 50's that slowed down drastically.  Might have got 2 or 3 sets in 10 years. Now I'm 60 and happy with my set and no reason to change.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

10 hours ago, A.Princey said:

One last thing I forgot to add, I am a sucker for buying identical backup clubs, so I do have that problem going for me. I’m not completely banned yet, am I???? Hahaha

This is something I would do as well. And every time I never ended up putting them in play. Always sold them before I ever took them out of the box. Pretty sure I am going to stop doing this, pretty sure.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I originally typed "Who else has all but stopped buying clubs?" and I decided I was going to change it to "Who else has all but stopped hoing?" 

Somehow we ended up with a weird middle ground and I love the title now. It seems to be on par with this thread. 

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

There used to be some real great threads on here about ho'ing.  Like buying irons to replace the ones that are still in the mail to you.  Or ordering something just so you have a box to ship out what you sold.....

I was on the range yesterday with my nephew and we were discussing new v old, etc.  My irons are from 2016.  F9 3w is from 2019.  My sm5 wedges lol are a decade old.  I did buy 3 sets of them new and Im on my last one now - and looking at replacing in 2024.  My putter is an odyssey OTR model.  Driver I will move between Cobra and TM when I get the itch.  Same for utility iron.  

*I might try new shafts for the driver and/or 3w too, just depends.  I do want to swing the 2024 ventus blue as I am a tr blue player and want to see the difference for myself.*

I think there is something to be said for knowing your equipment and trusting it on the course.  Ive played my best golf ever the last few years and I think its due in part to knowing my bag and what is in it.

These days, I get new shirts, 1/4zips, grips, and have more money for playing.

Edited by Lord Helmet
  • Like 2

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

For me it was a multitude of factors none of which were very sophisticated.  

1. Simple boredom- I owned like 100+ drivers in 5 or 6 years. 

2. the cost of clubs

3. Playing less golf 

• Like 1

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

3 minutes ago, HoosierHacker89 said:

I owned like 100+ drivers in 5 or 6 years. 

2. the cost of clubs

MY MAN !!!!!!

• Like 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

OP, you're talking to a bunch of very sick club junkies.  You have absolutely business posting such nonsense here.  🤪

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I've gotten better over the years.  Now I just buy a new driver every year.  The rest of my clubs minus lob wedge has been in my bag for awhile as you can see from my sig.  I used to buy new clubs every year.  It eventually became too expensive and I got married which dramatically cut back my hoing ways.  Wait, we're still talking about golf clubs, right? 

• Haha 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Wanted to follow-up my earlier post (great topic OP).  As I mentioned, the SM5 wedges I have (3rd set) are getting up there in age and condition.  So I have been to demo days and tried out several wedges and companies.  I keep coming back to the Vokey line.  Just yesterday I had the Mizuno wedges out on the range trying them out.  While they were ok, there was a real familiarity when I went to my SM5 54* v Mizuno 54* going at my favorite yardage for that head, 80yds.  Its not a full swing, but a controlled swing I setup when I play to get me to yardages i am comfortable with.  So I do think there is real benefit to getting into clubs that fit you and you can then rely on them to perform for your game.  Obviously you need a repeatable action.  But that confidence is worth something for the most important distance in golf - the space between the ears.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

g400 max was a real stop gap to buying clubs for me. I got that driver in 2017 or 2018. I have always hit it really well, and I still haven't found a reason to change it at all.

I think it was a combination of confidence in the club and flat out performance that I just quit looking to buy anything else. I think I'm coming up on season 7 or 8 with it now.   

I've rarely (by my other club purchase standards) changed putters. If I thought about it I would probably name all the putters I've owned my entire life. 

• Like 1

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

21 hours ago, tecombs71 said:

Read the thread title and for a second thought I must be missing out on a boutique club company called Hoing.

I thought this was some premium Chinese brand...

• Like 1

Driver - Stealth+ 8.0 | Hzrdus Smoke Green PVD 60TX

13.5* Mini Driver - Taylormade Brnr Copper | Ventus TR Black 8X Tipped 1"

19* Callaway UW | Ventus Black 10X Tipped 1.5"

4-P Mizuno 243 | DG X100

50, 54, 60 - Ping Glide 4.0 | Stock Wedge Shaft Z115

Putter - Evnroll Midlock EV5.2 Duo 39"

Ball - Titleist ProV1

After years of swapping clubs, tweaking lofts/lies/grips/length, and constantly tinkering with bag set up, I hit rock bottom late last year.   Did the math and for how much I spent on all of the above in 2023, I could have bought a small car yet had very little to show for all the expense, time, and effort.  Reached out to Joe Kwok late in the year and set up fitting time with intent to hold onto this properly fitted set for years.  We have done irons/wedges, woods and heading back for putter later this week.  The irony after all those changes is that as was only 1/4" longer (older/back) from my original fitting with him 12 years ago and totally appreciate his knowledge.   Expecting to have the bag finally set in the next 2 weeks and plan to shift my spend to lessons and playing courses that I haven't....with the same set of clubs 🙂

• Like 1

G430 MAX Alta/Tensei

Work in progress...

ZX5 mk ii KBS Tour Lite

S159 KBS Tour

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0

My irons are locked in.  Srixon Z745s - the best irons ever made, so no reason to change.

Wedges are changed out every 3 years

Driver is almost constantly changing.  I'm addicted to the constant evolution of the tech here.  Unlike many, I actually think there are still huge jumps being made with driver year to year.  Gonna be hard not to at least try the Ping 10k for a period of time.

Putter has been locked in for years, TM Spider Tour X, but these LAB putters have me intrigued.  I'm a lost cause

51 minutes ago, manima1 said:

My irons are locked in.  Srixon Z745s - the best irons ever made, so no reason to change.

Wedges are changed out every 3 years

Driver is almost constantly changing.  I'm addicted to the constant evolution of the tech here.  Unlike many, I actually think there are still huge jumps being made with driver year to year.  Gonna be hard not to at least try the Ping 10k for a period of time.

Putter has been locked in for years, TM Spider Tour X, but these LAB putters have me intrigued.  I'm a lost cause

I actually agree on the driver.  For me, most drivers when I center them up the results are the same (10yds or so) in terms of distance, flight, etc.  I want to know when I bring my D or F game and go low heel or high toe what am I looking at in terms of results.  I know from hitting them all, that TM drivers for me are glass cannons.  10yds longer than everything else.  When I stray from the center I am punished pretty bad.  Cobra is 10yds behind the TM on centered hits, but is way more forgiving across the face for me.  Low heel, high toe the ball still gets out there.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

16 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

I've got a few rooms that look like that, minus the contraption on the left.

That doesn't include boxes of shafts and heads. That contraption is the cat tree since that is the cat's room. Welcome to my life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

On 3/3/2024 at 9:43 AM, HoosierHacker89 said:

15 years ago I was going through clubs on a weekly basis. Today, I might buy 1 golf club every 1-2 years. I bought a tour W 52 for $10 the other day.  I was looking at my bag and realized I've had my g400 max for like 6 or 7 seasons now. It has not even crossed my mind to buy a new one. I play 10 or less rounds a year and have more fun now than ever on the course. Who else has all but stopped buying clubs? 

EMUDL8UWwAYpgZL.jpg.790667663acd386fd99bba88a35e3690.jpg

Just looked at my golf horde.  I should never have to purchase another golf related item, but I probably will.

It contains 4 sets of irons, non set wedges from 50 to 60 degrees in two degree increments (some have multiples of the same wedge) plus a 64 for fun, two drivers with one more on the way, more than one putter (don't know the total), 5 golf bags, a set of old school FCM 5.5 rifle flighted shafts, 7 different shafts for my drivers along with a few for drivers I no longer have, an extra shaft for my 5 wood, over 50 dozen new golf balls, 6 pairs of shoes, and 2 pair of golfing boots for winter.

That count is lower than it was a few months ago due to my giving a complete set of Eye 2, hybrids, putter, and wedges to my SIL.  The biggest shame in the whole thing is the beautiful set of Hogan Apex Plus irons that I will never hit due to my elbow not getting along with the Apex 4 steel shafts.  I might put them on the wall in the spare bedroom for decoration, lol.

I'm probably not even in the running for ho of the day.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

My weakness is offerup, play it again sports, goodwill and ebay.

I started club building during covid and still knee deep in learning. 

Buying cheap clubs/components and building them to my specs is fun.

Just sold my last batch of builds to play it again for peanuts compared to the labor vested.

We'll see what I accumulate this month.

6 hours ago, HoosierHacker89 said:

g400 max was a real stop gap to buying clubs for me. I got that driver in 2017 or 2018. I have always hit it really well, and I still haven't found a reason to change it at all.

I think it was a combination of confidence in the club and flat out performance that I just quit looking to buy anything else. I think I'm coming up on season 7 or 8 with it now.   

I've rarely (by my other club purchase standards) changed putters. If I thought about it I would probably name all the putters I've owned my entire life. 

G400 lst has done this to me to, it is not possible to get better numbers for my swing and believe me I have tried. 

On 3/3/2024 at 11:52 AM, Nard_S said:

I've hoed quite a bit but more out of passion/curiosity than searching. Thing I found was I played best with clubs I put through a lot of rounds and reps. Clubs are like dating, need the spark to pursue and see it through, maybe it goes to love at least for a time, but idea of switching out every season or interchanging gear often has never worked for me.

Exactly 

This is why I get a good laugh when people say they had a few range sessions and 1 round of golf before giving up on clubs. 

For me m, I’ve had 3 sets of irons in the last 15 years.  I played 4 drivers in 20 years. I've tinkered with putters, but only bought a few over the years. 

I find that it takes some time to really dial certain clubs and once I've found ones that work and look good to my eye, I stick with them.

I see a trend that most good players at my club have clubs they've had for years.  And while not always the case, when I see guys with shiny new clubs,  most of them aren't very good...and they're usually playing the tips and shooting 90.

• Like 1

I've slowed way down, but I'm a tester by trade so I like to try new stuff. Lefty gear isn't often available for demo, so I gotta buy stuff. My bag has been pretty set for a couple years, but there are clubs that float in and out all the time. 

But yeah, 5-6 clubs a year vs 5 sets of irons in 6 months. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray