Jump to content

Byron Nelson and Moe Norman opposite of early extension/EE?


Recommended Posts

We've all heard of the "tush line" in golf swing analysis videos, where a line is drawn from the butt down the the ground in the DTL angle. And the term early extension or EE meaning the butt goes off that line towards the ball before impact. But what about golfers who stay on the line well past impact?

 

Such as Byron Nelson and Moe Norman, they both stay on the line until their right arm is parallel to the ground in the follow through, which could be defined as "late extension". They are both considered the straightest hitters in the history of the game so is there something to this certain action?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

DJ stays on the line for a long time:
Dustin-Johnson-spine-angle.jpg.3b6b4bee94c3cd13f2900b6a8b8e723a.jpg

 

I think that it probably has lot to do with how a person is built.  I don't think it is an indicator of greatness...

 

In my opinion,,,
A golfer who swings toward the target has many opportunities to stay on  a line than a golfer swinging at the ball 

 

Notes_240305_082212.jpg.2bbc9bccbad190522f2499b3c914c910.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2024 at 3:35 PM, golferdude54 said:

 

Such as Byron Nelson and Moe Norman, they both stay on the line until their right arm is parallel to the ground in the follow through, which could be defined as "late extension". 


Edit:  sorry, too many butts and lines - like DJ’s last birthday party. 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Martin Chuck on Nelson. Squat, rotating and using the ground into and past impact. If Nelson held his butt on a line until after impact he’d have left the Tour with a broken back. 
 

https://www.tourstriker.com/blogs/golf-swing/gain-power-speed-and-distance-with-byron-nelsons-lower-body-move

 

Some early post-hickory no butt on a line Nelson. 
 

 

IMG_3851.jpeg

Edited by Hawkeye77
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Martin Chuck on Nelson. Squat, rotating and using the ground into and past impact. If Nelson held his butt on a line until after impact he’d have left the Tour with a broken back. 
 

https://www.tourstriker.com/blogs/golf-swing/gain-power-speed-and-distance-with-byron-nelsons-lower-body-move

 

Some early post-hickory no butt on a line Nelson. 
 

 

IMG_3851.jpeg

Umm, isn't his butt on the line in the picture?  or actually over the line?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

Umm, isn't his butt on the line in the picture?  or actually over the line?  

Not what OP appeared to be asserting and describing with the “late extension” suggesting basically static hips through impact and something unique about sequencing. 
 

But I don’t claim butt line expertise!
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hawkeye77 said:

Not what OP appeared to be asserting and describing with the “late extension” suggesting basically static hips through impact and something unique about sequencing. 
 

But I don’t claim butt line expertise!
 

 

 

LOL that's not what I read.  He is talking about the tush line viewed from down the line.  Maintaining spine angle and all that.  Nothing to do with static hips that I can see:  

On 3/3/2024 at 1:35 PM, golferdude54 said:

We've all heard of the "tush line" in golf swing analysis videos, where a line is drawn from the butt down the the ground in the DTL angle. And the term early extension or EE meaning the butt goes off that line towards the ball before impact. But what about golfers who stay on the line well past impact?

 

Such as Byron Nelson and Moe Norman, they both stay on the line until their right arm is parallel to the ground in the follow through, which could be defined as "late extension". They are both considered the straightest hitters in the history of the game so is there something to this certain action?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • 2024 Zurich Classic - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Zurich Classic - Monday #1
      2024 Zurich Classic - Monday #2
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Alex Fitzpatrick - WITB - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Austin Cook - WITB - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Alejandro Tosti - WITB - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Davis Riley - WITB - 2024 Zurich Classic
      MJ Daffue - WITB - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Nate Lashley - WITB - 2024 Zurich Classic
       
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      MJ Daffue's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Cameron putters - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Swag covers ( a few custom for Nick Hardy) - 2024 Zurich Classic
      Custom Bettinardi covers for Matt and Alex Fitzpatrick - 2024 Zurich Classic
       
       
       
      • 1 reply
    • 2024 RBC Heritage - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 RBC Heritage - Monday #1
      2024 RBC Heritage - Monday #2
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Justin Rose - WITB - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Chandler Phillips - WITB - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Nick Dunlap - WITB - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Thomas Detry - WITB - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Austin Eckroat - WITB - 2024 RBC Heritage
       
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Wyndham Clark's Odyssey putter - 2024 RBC Heritage
      JT's new Cameron putter - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Justin Thomas testing new Titleist 2 wood - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Cameron putters - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Odyssey putter with triple track alignment aid - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Scotty Cameron The Blk Box putting alignment aid/training aid - 2024 RBC Heritage
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 7 replies
    • 2024 Masters - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Huge shoutout to our member Stinger2irons for taking and posting photos from Augusta
       
       
      Tuesday
       
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 1
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 2
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 3
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 4
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 5
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 6
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 7
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 8
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 9
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 10
       
       
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 14 replies
    • Rory McIlroy testing a new TaylorMade "PROTO" 4-iron – 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Rory McIlroy testing a new TaylorMade "PROTO" 4-iron – 2024 Valero Texas Open
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 93 replies
    • 2024 Valero Texas Open - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or Comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Valero Texas Open - Monday #1
      2024 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #1
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Ben Taylor - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Paul Barjon - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Joe Sullivan - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Wilson Furr - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Ben Willman - SoTex PGA Section Champ - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Jimmy Stanger - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Rickie Fowler - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Harrison Endycott - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Vince Whaley - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Kevin Chappell - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Christian Bezuidenhout - WITB (mini) - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Scott Gutschewski - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Michael S. Kim WITB – 2024 Valero Texas Open
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Ben Taylor with new Titleist TRS 2 wood - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Swag cover - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Greyson Sigg's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Davis Riley's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Josh Teater's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Hzrdus T1100 is back - - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Mark Hubbard testing ported Titleist irons – 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Tyson Alexander testing new Titleist TRS 2 wood - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Hideki Matsuyama's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Cobra putters - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Joel Dahmen WITB – 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Axis 1 broomstick putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Rory McIlroy testing a new TaylorMade "PROTO" 4-iron – 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Rory McIlroy's Trackman numbers w/ driver on the range – 2024 Valero Texas Open
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 4 replies

×
×
  • Create New...