2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ian Fraser at Club Champion new pricing structure for fitting

Same reason it costs a lot of money to play in a PGA Tour Pro-Am. Bragging rights don't come cheap. 

But I must say the old guy in me is amazed that "My clubs were fitted by a famous YouTuber" has achieved that sort of bragging-rights status. I'm trying to imagine telling the guys I play with I'd flown to Toronto and spent 5K to have the great Ian Fraser watch me hit balls into a net for four hours.

• Like 3

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

9 hours ago, Doucer said:

Agreed. Not sure how many will pay $5k for a fitting...

Judging by a couple the responses here, and the reactions to them, plenty will.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

7 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Judging by a couple the responses here, and the reactions to them, plenty will.

People have posted here from time to time over the years after spending 5K (or thereabouts) on clubs from Club Champion long before CC bought Ian Fraser.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

9 hours ago, Westcoastlefty said:

Here is the thing guys - it is supply and demand.  He is one of the best in the world at what he does, and he is priced accordingly.  If you don't want to pay, don't.  But to critique it, is just lazy.  I am sure if you were a business owner, you pursue to be the best in the world.

"Best in the world" ?

I would never pay that, but people will.  It will be interesting to see after he clears the backlog of 6-8 months by people dropping off the list or going ahead under new pricing strategy, if his demand continues to be high.  I guess my other point is it doesn’t sit well with me to change the price on people like the OP who have been waiting patiently for months. 

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

I'd be willing to wager this is entirely a CC decision, and Ian didn't really have a ton of say (maybe aside from I wish I wasn't doing so many fittings that my backlog makes people angry).

$250 an hour for Ian's fitting time isn't bad at all.

The prepaid spend for gear seems very in line with what I've seen from CC in the past, and that's the egregious part of this in my opinion.

There's a reason I'd never go there for a fitting or clubs. I understand what they're trying to do, but I'm not a fan.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* Ventus TR Red 
Titleist TSR3 16.5* Evenflow T1100

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titleist T350 4 T200 5 T150 6-9 Accra iSeries 125

Titleist Vokey SM9 46*F (@45) / 50*F / 56*D (@55*) / 60*M DG TI X100
SC Super Select Squareback 2

9 hours ago, DaveTrom said:

It's funny to me that people criticize the pricing.... do you know how much overhead goes into having a place like TXG... the building/shop, fitting equipment, different shafts and clubs to try?  The manufactures don't give fitters all the equipment for free. Golf hard goods are somewhere between 20 and 30% margins...  Some golfers come in for a fitting and get all the spec suggestions then shop around for the  best price possible which is fine but in my opinion not fair to the fitter. TXG and other fitters aren't making money on the fittings they make money when you purchase equipment from them. 

The retail golf business is not an easy one, I appreciate all the content TXG provides us on youtube.  Ian seems like a pretty good guy, props to TXG from continuing to produce quality content for us!!!

That had that same overhead before CC bought them out and charged much less for a fitting.  Even considering inflation a fitting for under $1k to $5k is very unreasonable.

• Confused 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

1 hour ago, Loose_Ferrule said:

Ian's obviously very good at what he does and people are willing to pay for his service. Also as one other poster mentioned. $4K in clubs goes pretty fast, especially if it's $4K Canadian which is less than $3K US.

Would I pay $1K for  fitting.....not likely but I also wouldn't pay $4-5K for a Circle T either. Lots of people do.

if these prices are Canadian, it’s honestly not too bad.  A driver with an upgraded shaft will easily be over $1000 alone. 

The only downside to this is if Ian fits you and says your current clubs are your best fit..then what do you do with the $4k in equipment expense?

23 minutes ago, mstuewe said:

if these prices are Canadian, it’s honestly not too bad.  A driver with an upgraded shaft will easily be over $1000 alone. 

The only downside to this is if Ian fits you and says your current clubs are your best fit..then what do you do with the $4k in equipment expense?

I'm imagining he'll take care of his customers, he's too much in the spotlight to get away with poor customer service.  Either by way of store credit that lasts forever for people who will be back in a year or two when there are new releases or refund if someone was honestly displeased.

The thought has to be once you've committed to that money you're going to go ahead and get shinny new things.

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

913F 15* - RogueBlack80-S

913HD 20* - GS95-S

FGTour 4-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385

I am surprised people are so salty about this. As the message states, they are trying to reduce the waitlist. I interpret this to Ian wants to manage his time saving some for other things like content and such. I can't afford his price but when comparing my fitting experience at my local fitters vs. the type of fitting I see in the videos, the price seems worth it to me for those who have the money. Ian doesn't owe you his time and there are plenty of other fitters out there. If you're so hell bent on been fit by one of the best then cough it up or stop complaining. However, like others, I am sad to see what seems to be the slow death of TXG. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rainkingjr said:

Best fitter in the world comments make me laugh.  In the famous words of Kip, "Napoleon, like anyone could even know that."

It's not rocket science. Plenty of guys and gals are every bit as capable as Ian and aren't forcing you into a $2500 or $5000 commitment. He is just a popular face on the Internet. Some fool(s) with money to burn will do it though. Different strokes for different folks.

This.

Ian is a good/great fitter. One of, if not the best??? No.  I appreciate the video's, channel and knowledge. Slowly he has taken on a more arrogant tone, and attitude.  There is no way IMO the price he is now charging is worth it. His popularity is because of the channel, not because he is a great fitter.  A good fitting is essential as far as I am concerned, but there are plenty other great fitters out there for reasonable cost. 

• Like 2

I think the thing that's being lost is the general CC price structure. You can get T150s from Titleist for $200 USD with DG x100 shafts, but at CC you get the head alone for $200 USD and THEN have to pay whatever it is, $50 USD for the shaft separately. It's a racket and sure CC might build them a little better than Titleist but who's to say? I think that's the biggest issue with places like that is the up-charge on something that is standard from the company or from other stores.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DoughBack18 said:

For anyone who has done something like this, how much does a fitting like this help? Is his ability to club fit going to improve scores by more than a shot over another fitter? 

I have watched a number of his videos and seen the improvement of up to 50-60 yards with the driver. I have always wondered how much I am leaving on the table. I have been fit by others years ago and the experience wasn't very good. I have been on this equipment merry go round for some time and thought he might finally be able to help me realize my potential with my clubs.

49 minutes ago, JDennis said:

This.

Ian is a good/great fitter. One of, if not the best??? No.  I appreciate the video's, channel and knowledge. Slowly he has taken on a more arrogant tone, and attitude.  There is no way IMO the price he is now charging is worth it. His popularity is because of the channel, not because he is a great fitter.  A good fitting is essential as far as I am concerned, but there are plenty other great fitters out there for reasonable cost. 

Ian is widely regarded as one of the best in the business.  Not sure where the hangup is here?  I get it if this is a personal thing.  These prices are absurd and I'm not trying to argue that.  To go from a club, to one of TM's top tour fitters to opening TXG is a nice arc.  He is always cheering on other fitters, and the guy knows just about everyone in the business bc he is extremely well respected.  He got that respect from his knowledge and professionalism.  I would say this qualifies the statement.  The great fitter came before the channel.  The channel became popular bc of his depth of knowledge and Matty's creative force.  Just my 2 cents

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 4

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

24 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

24 Callaway JDM X -Forged 5-PW  Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

1 hour ago, MS.71 said:

I think the thing that's being lost is the general CC price structure. You can get T150s from Titleist for $200 USD with DG x100 shafts, but at CC you get the head alone for $200 USD and THEN have to pay whatever it is, $50 USD for the shaft separately. It's a racket and sure CC might build them a little better than Titleist but who's to say? I think that's the biggest issue with places like that is the up-charge on something that is standard from the company or from other stores.

yup. I don’t think many people would have any problem with Ian charging $1,000 for a fitting.

it’s the requirement of $4k toward clubs when we know we could get the same clubs for less. 

if CC didn’t inflate the club prices it would be different. Either way, a person should be able to get fit and purchase elsewhere.

this $4k club budget is obviously coming from CC

I think a lot is being missed here. 

CC bought TXG which IIRC was wholly owned by Ian. That implies he got some nice upfront money. Obviously he was retained as an employee because so much of the brand value is just him. 

Now he’s kind of like a club pro. I assume he has a salary and has to do certain things to fulfill his employment contract (such as producing content on a regular basis). He probably has other things he can do to increase his income like perform fittings and increase the amount of gear sold through his fitting studio. This would be similar to how a club pro shares in the profit of the golf shop. 

In the past Ian made content to raise the profile of TXG and build their customer base. Now he makes content because a big part of his job is to providing content for CC. The content might look roughly the same but the intent behind it has changed. 

The big difference I have noticed is less conversation about why certain gear works for certain people, the impact of small adjustments, etc. This sort of minutiae built credibility for TXG as a place to be fit. I hear say less of that nuts and bolts commentary now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dongodfrey said:

Obviously some will

pay it, and they will think it’s value,

most of us will not, but most of us can have lessons with our local pro,

almost all Of us will not be able to afford a lesson with Butch Harmon.

Yes, exactly this. The price is meant to discourage more and more people from trying to book with Ian specifically, to reduce Ian's waitlist. You can still book with other fitters at club champion. 

15 hours ago, Westcoastlefty said:

Here is the thing guys - it is supply and demand.  He is one of the best in the world at what he does, and he is priced accordingly.  If you don't want to pay, don't.  But to critique it, is just lazy.  I am sure if you were a business owner, you pursue to be the best in the world.

This is making my habit of buying and ….. sometimes selling stuff seem cheap …… showing this to my wife the next time she comments about another delivery. At least I didn’t get a $5K fitting…. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, North Butte said:

Best on YouTube?

It's a sadly limited view of the situation but I think for some people "the world" and "social media" are the same thing.

I definitely credit Ian for the professional image he has created including clothing, haircut, scripted dialogue, quality cameras and lighting, studio sound etc...

17 hours ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

He can't even fit himself, he changes clubs 16x a year lol.

This 10000%  

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS