2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ian Fraser at Club Champion new pricing structure for fitting

12 hours ago, rainkingjr said:

Best fitter in the world comments make me laugh.  In the famous words of Kip, "Napoleon, like anyone could even know that."

It's not rocket science. Plenty of guys and gals are every bit as capable as Ian and aren't forcing you into a $2500 or $5000 commitment. He is just a popular face on the Internet. Some fool(s) with money to burn will do it though. Different strokes for different folks.

Agree.  Not saying he's the best either, but I'd rather get a fitting with James Lee from Ping.  Of course, that could only be Ping clubs.  I only play Ping clubs anyhow, save for a SC putter. 

1 hour ago, Loose_Ferrule said:

2 things....

1. His playing ability has nothing to do with his ability to fit. Not sure David Leadbetter could break and egg but he produced many Major Champions.

2. Based on your post history, you have less credibility than most. 

Leadbetter is known for turning 70's shooters into 80's shooters.

Regarding fitting, I've been around professional players and sensational amateur players nearly all my life and not one of them has ever put much emphasis on club fitting True highly skilled players know playing great shots is about technique so that is their focus, learning and practicing technique.

I believe going through a fitting process is a fun experience for consumers and that's fine, but I've never seen any correlation of improved play to fitted clubs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

Leadbetter is known for turning 70's shooters into 80's shooters.

Regarding fitting, I've been around professional players and sensational amateur players nearly all my life and not one of them has ever put much emphasis on club fitting True highly skilled players know playing great shots is about technique so that is their focus, learning and practicing technique.

I believe going through a fitting process is a fun experience for consumers and that's fine, but I've never seen any correlation of improved play to fitted clubs.

You continue to prove point #2 in my post. 

• Like 4

I think Ian decided that he's not interested in fitting the majority of golfers and will cater to those that can afford the price he sets. I'm not interested but the market apparently has set his asking price. I do think it's a crappy move to jack the prices up on folks that were in line and on record so they need to decide what to do moving forward.  The thing that sucks is that if this gets out we will unfortunately see other fitters follow suit.   

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G430 21 Fairway , Tensei AV Raw Blue 65

Ping G430 5 Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

This seems like the “Leadbetter” affect at its finest. Charge more than your market value and people will think you have all the answers. 

$5k before a ball has even been hit INSIDE! Better off booking a plane ticket to Scottsdale, and give a call to Cool Clubs. 

• Like 4

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

Just my personal take, but I've always felt their channel and product never completely passed the smell test. Even before the CC buyout. By this I mean while outwardly they're selling fitting as a "service" - the end game always seem to be to sell clubs. Sell lots of clubs at full or above retail. I liken this to two recent dentists I've had - my prior dentist was always trying to upsell me on his stuff (even though his actual dentistry skills were fine) and my current one has (in my judgement) even somewhat better skills, and doesn't try to sell me on anything beyond the regular dental services.

Yeah - we can talk about supply and demand all we want. We can say this is a luxury niche product no different from walking into a Hermes store. But at least with Hermes, they're basically selling you a $50K leather bag. It's all right up front and you can judge the value proposition for yourself looking at it and the price tag. They're not taking measurements of your stride length walking down the Champs Elysees and seeing which bag has the best dangle and swing, and then recommending your options. And they're certainly not demanding you pay the $50K up front just to test that stride.

Oh - as for the value proposition - $750 per hour is something on the order of 2-3x the median hourly wage for a cardiothoracic surgeon. And, yup, we have every right to choose whether or not we think a TXG fitting is a good value.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, me05501 said:

CC bought TXG which IIRC was wholly owned by Ian. That implies he got some nice upfront money. Obviously he was retained as an employee because so much of the brand value is just him. 

Ian wasn't the sole owner, or even the majority owner, of TXG. They had investors, most notably Mike's Dad, with Ian as the public face of TXG.

As others have said, this move is a relatively small increase in his fitting fee ($750 to $1,000) and prevents people from taking the results of the fitting to buy gear elsewhere. I would be curious to hear the percentage of his clients that don't actually buy the gear, as I assumed he has a much higher percentage of clients buying compared to the average fitter.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dmecca2 said:

Confused as to how no one has mentioned the 4 hour fitting window. Has anyone ever swung a club for 4 hours straight?? In a simulator fitting bay you'll be absolutely exhausted by the 2nd hour. Everything beyond that point will be worthless.

I guess it's a business-thing and nothing to do with actual golf or improvement of one's game. From a business perspective the golf industry can be lucrative because its consumers tend to have disposable income and are willing to spend money on just about anything that could be a fun experience and, or that they think might help their golf game.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

I guess it's a business-thing and nothing to do with actual golf or improvement of one's game. From a business perspective the golf industry can be lucrative because its consumers tend to have disposable income and are willing to spend money on just about anything that could be a fun experience and, or that they think might help their golf game.

Well I would hope that the "best fitter in the world" would realize that a 4 hour fitting is silly

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, dmecca2 said:

Well I would hope that the "best fitter in the world" would realize that a 4 hour fitting is silly

I'm guessing they are positioning this as something similar to what companies like McGregor used to do a few decades ago with the onsite fitting experience. They offered customers a full custom fitting on-site at their HQ in Georgia and I think a few other manufacturers do the same to this day but I'm not sure about the cost. Taylor Made offers The Kingdom fitting so maybe this is what they are going for since Ian is a TM guy. 

Get on a plane and go to Titleist for $ 750 for a half a day fitting. 

https://www.titleist.com/fitting/golf-club-fitting/titleist-performance-institute

Edited by Tzoid
  • Like 1

Ping G430 5 Hybrid

Titleist Pro V1x

Full marks for ambition and you have to push the edges of the envelope to find out where they truly are, but something tells me this change in price structure is going to be met with a swift correction via lack of demand. Maybe I'm wrong and if I am, fair play to him!

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Crazy fee, but i guess the market will determine if its too much in the end.

That said, seems weird to me to essentially lock you in on buying a full bag. Seems like the type of golfers that would pony up for this will probably already have clubs that are relatively good fits, so will they really end up needing to replace the full bag?

There are plenty of coaches that give lessons that charge $250 an hr.  I don't really see the big deal here.  If he's that backed up and can command more money, then he should charge more money.  Noboy is forced to pay it.  Nobody is forced to get fitted by him.  

CC's business practices about upcharging, etc is a whole different story and I think there are better places to get fit regarding that.

TLDR: Dont see anything wrong with it, if you want Ian, those are his terms and no worries if you dont

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjp322 said:

There are plenty of coaches that give lessons that charge $250 an hr.  I don't really see the big deal here.  If he's that backed up and can command more money, then he should charge more money.  Noboy is forced to pay it.  Nobody is forced to get fitted by him.  

CC's business practices about upcharging, etc is a whole different story and I think there are better places to get fit regarding that.

TLDR: Dont see anything wrong with it, if you want Ian, those are his terms and no worries if you dont

I have to ask..... why does your signature say BST Revoked ????  Feedback is positive but I would love to hear why. 

Edited by Tzoid

Ping G430 5 Hybrid

Titleist Pro V1x

Why is Ian considered the best fitter in the world?

Titliest TS2 10 deg

Taylormade M5 Titanium 3w set to 16.5
Callaway Epic Flash 5w set to 20
Mizuno HMB 4 iron
Taylormade P790 Irons (5-PW) with Project X shafts
Vokey SM7 50 in F grind

Vokey SM9 54 in S grind
Callaway PM grind 58
Odyssey White Hot OG #7

7 hours ago, Tzoid said:

I'm guessing they are positioning this as something similar to what companies like McGregor used to do a few decades ago with the onsite fitting experience. They offered customers a full custom fitting on-site at their HQ in Georgia and I think a few other manufacturers do the same to this day but I'm not sure about the cost. Taylor Made offers The Kingdom fitting so maybe this is what they are going for since Ian is a TM guy. 

Get on a plane and go to Titleist for $ 750 for a half a day fitting. 

https://www.titleist.com/fitting/golf-club-fitting/titleist-performance-institute

But at MCGregror, you walked away with a set of hand ground clubs from a guy who has 17 majors on equipment that he personally made. Not just upsold some shafts and grips.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rjp322 said:

Yeah, the upcharging takes place pretty much everywhere and is extremely off-putting.  Most manufacturers do this as well.  For example, you buy a $500 driver where the stock shaft is a Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX.  The stock grip is a Tour Velvet 360.   You decide to choose an NDMC grip.  Instead of the $5 difference in price, they charge you $10 upcharge for the NDMC grip.  You also decide to get a Ventus Velocore shaft.  Say the OEM upcharges you $300 for that shaft.  You are now at $810 for the driver.  When the club arrives, you will receive the head with the Ventus attached and the NDMC grip put on.  The OEM charged you full retail for the shaft and grip.  They will not include the Hzrdus shaft and Tour Velvet grip, which are part of the standard club purchase. They are essentially saying the Hzrdus shaft and Tour Velvet grip have a $0 value. You are almost always better off to order the club with the no-upcharge components and buy the desired shaft and grip elsewhere. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Anser3 said:

Yeah, the upcharging takes place pretty much everywhere and is extremely off-putting.  Most manufacturers do this as well.  For example, you buy a $500 driver where the stock shaft is a Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX.  The stock grip is a Tour Velvet 360.   You decide to choose an NDMC grip.  Instead of the $5 difference in price, they charge you $10 upcharge for the NDMC grip.  You also decide to get a Ventus Velocore shaft.  Say the OEM upcharges you $300 for that shaft.  You are now at $810 for the driver.  When the club arrives, you will receive the head with the Ventus attached and the NDMC grip put on.  The OEM charged you full retail for the shaft and grip.  They will not include the Hzrdus shaft and Tour Velvet grip, which are part of the standard club purchase. They are essentially saying the Hzrdus shaft and Tour Velvet grip have a $0 value. You are almost always better off to order the club with the no-upcharge components and buy the desired shaft and grip elsewhere. 

This methodology applied to every restaurant order too:)

If you take something off a sandwich, like cheese for example, the price doesn’t change. But add cheese to a sandwich, and it’s extra 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 4/6/2024 at 8:31 PM, tleader said:

I’m ok with the fitting fee, but the equipment credit is bothersome. 

I’ve been fit several times at TXG, including my current driver, can Ian really improve it that much??  An extra 5 yards maybe?  What if slight tweaks to your existing irons is all that’s needed, and a new set offers marginal improvement. Just seems off putting, to “have” to purchase from them with this structure.  Again, happy to pay for my fit and pick/choose to spend when/where.

As previously mentioned, TXG/CC does appeal to the minority of the golfing population, and I’d argue that that group has a good sense of custom fitting, and would see marginal improvements over drastic results.  Or simply just want new clubs, regardless of any improvements. 

How would you like to be the guy that’s told “we can’t improve on what you already have in the bag….but thanks for the $5k…want to buy some balls and headcovers”?

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar