Can the wrong shaft feel cause inconsistent strikes with driver?

I think I know the answer but thought I'd ask for folks experiences here. To start the season, I am doing pretty good in my iron striking (KBS 120 tour Stiff SS and MOI matched) as well as my 21* UW (MMT 80s) When it comes to driver, I am really struggling with my strike consistency. I do feel like I have to work a lot more with having the Ventus Black 6x in my driver. I play my driver (Epic Max LS 9* lofted up to 10*) at 44.5" and at the range my face contact isn't too bad. SW is about D3-4 I play with a heavier back weight in the fade position Directionally I either will get hooky or have some wipey fades. On the course, which I usually play first thing in the morning and try to warm up the best I can, My face strike and ball flight go out the window. I did grind through my round today by eventually hovering my driver, which seemed to help and setup my first birdie of the year on the last hole. I did do some what of a swing overhaul through the offseason that built off the work I did the prior year. It is obviously there for my irons now, not quite there in the driver. I know ultimately the answer is to get fit, although I do not need a new driver head at the moment. Any thoughts on what to try?

Edited by Rbsiedsc

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

For the season so far

image.png.3f873309a5f58e3102eccf396342f909.png

image.png.607a5ef9d2d4e2e94a1a6adfa25ef32f.png

image.png.2ffef38fadabf592a77e7146f2eb3cad.png

Last season stats

image.png.e9a353591853af78d30ddadbfd3cc0b6.png

image.png.d56faa57ceedae3a4e0656ec0e4f1fc3.png

image.png.d55c8d92252e4e7630074ab898fd5636.png

My guess is that the shaft is on the stiff side for your swing.  When you are loose at the driving range and in a rhythm it works.  When you aren’t loose and bouncing from club to club it is difficult to find center.  It’s possible it’s a weight issue but I would start with a demo of the same shaft in S

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShortGolfer said:

The fitter immediately discovered that the only time I'd hook the ball was when trying to swing a club that was too heavy.

I can't swing a heavy club.  I do much better with light light clubs.  My clubs are typically C2 but I can go lighter and a little heavier.

Interesting. My MOI matched irons are matched to the feel of my 7/8i which is around d3-4. It very well could be my driver is too heavy overall.

13 minutes ago, taki27 said:

My guess is that the shaft is on the stiff side for your swing.  When you are loose at the driving range and in a rhythm it works.  When you aren’t loose and bouncing from club to club it is difficult to find center.  It’s possible it’s a weight issue but I would start with a demo of the same shaft in S

I have tried an Accra TZ5 M4 55 shaft and its not very similar. Maybe a little too light and the feel is off. I will say in the accra I do feel the twisting of the head more on misses so maybe that could be helpful to feel more during a round and pinpoint.

1 hour ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Interesting. My MOI matched irons are matched to the feel of my 7/8i which is around d3-4. It very well could be my driver is too heavy overall.

Your original description could be an indication of too heavy (head weight) or too stiff a shaft - or both.   Weight feel is more commonly a problem that results in inconsistent results than stiffness - but both are possible.  Everyone is different.

Head weight is probably the easiest to experiment with first.  Remove or replace any one of the weights with a lighter one and build up slowly on the range with lead tape to find the head weight with the best results and feel.    A quick check might be to choke up  1/2" or even 1"  which will lighten the swing weight quite a bit to see what might happen.

Obviously the only way to test out a less stiff shaft - is to get (or borrow) one.  But I'd suggest getting the head weight figured out first before exploring alternative shaft profiles.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

I think I know the answer but thought I'd ask for folks experiences here. To start the season, I am doing pretty good in my iron striking (KBS 120 tour Stiff SS and MOI matched) as well as my 21* UW (MMT 80s) When it comes to driver, I am really struggling with my strike consistency. I do feel like I have to work a lot more with having the Ventus Black 6x in my driver. I play my driver (Epic Max LS 9* lofted up to 10*) at 44.5" and at the range my face contact isn't too bad. SW is about D3-4 I play with a heavier back weight in the fade position Directionally I either will get hooky or have some wipey fades. On the course, which I usually play first thing in the morning and try to warm up the best I can, My face strike and ball flight go out the window. I did grind through my round today by eventually hovering my driver, which seemed to help and setup my first birdie of the year on the last hole. I did do some what of a swing overhaul through the offseason that built off the work I did the prior year. It is obviously there for my irons now, not quite there in the driver. I know ultimately the answer is to get fit, although I do not need a new driver head at the moment. Any thoughts on what to try?

Of course shaft profile matters. Tons of different options that will/won't work for certain swings. Flex and tipping matters as well of course. 44.5" length, and D3-D4 sw, implies a pretty heavy head which can potentially loosen the tip tend of the shaft slightly - which might be perfectly fine if that profile fits you or you're playing a flex or so strong and can benefit from a slightly looser tip - but obviously something isn't working for you. I think I read somewhere that every 6-8 grams of additional weight added to the head is equivalent to half a flex or so, not sure if that's accurate but seems about right

But it's most likely just the shaft profile. Face angle of the club head plays a factor too - it seems like everyone on here likes to loft down (open face angle), but in reality a lot of people can benefit from doing the opposite - and it's not skill/speed dependent; plenty of high-level pros on tour play with a "closed" face angle.

• Like 1

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

2 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Yes, to the title, regarding driver, woods and irons.  If a shaft doesn't feel right, your strikes will not be consistent.  Sometimes swing weight change can improve strikes, but something it won't help, again depends on the shaft and your mechanics.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

2 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Honestly I know we're talking about equipment, but the swing you posted here has this written all over it. Yes the Ventus Black 6x is a lot of shaft and is *very* different from your irons in terms of overall profile, but that swing with a longer club has "two way miss" written all over it, so i'd be looking at that first. That disconnected takeaway where the hands push out and the club gets way outside combined with the reroute at the top to drop inside is something you can manage with irons but gives me anxiety thinking about managing with a driver. 

thanks for pointing that out as well. Its interesting as that is what my coach had me working on all offseason as I was bringing the club way too inside and then at the top my hands came out. I presume I have to find a happy midpoint and keep staying connected.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

thanks for pointing that out as well. Its interesting as that is what my coach had me working on all offseason as I was bringing the club way too inside and then at the top my hands came out. I presume I have to find a happy midpoint and keep staying connected.

Yup agreed. This is an opposite extreme as the club and your hands have worked much too far in the opposite direction which basically creates all the same problems as what it sounds like you were trying to correct just flipped. The happy medium is where you want to be.  

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-7i 26*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Yup agreed. This is an opposite extreme as the club and your hands have worked much too far in the opposite direction which basically creates all the same problems as what it sounds like you were trying to correct just flipped. The happy medium is where you want to be.  

so get this to find the happy medium? I am kinda kidding but seems awesome.

https://www.performancegolf.com/straightaway/media/hybrid-sc-ny23?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=youtube-ecomm&utm_campaign=do-tsa&utm_term=21106528052&utm_content=693858768718&sxid={tsa-it-00012ae-c-00004}&gclid=Cj0KCQjwztOwBhD7ARIsAPDKnkBV7c_gKvIH8iVvX0wNLPdZKMy3d9ZE8JiUu1q0vZtREwRblQvViewaAmmNEALw_wcB&gc_id=21106528052&h_ad_id={tsa-it-00012ae-c-00004}

Edited by Rbsiedsc

2 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Honestly I know we're talking about equipment, but the swing you posted here has this written all over it. Yes the Ventus Black 6x is a lot of shaft and is *very* different from your irons in terms of overall profile, but that swing with a longer club has "two way miss" written all over it, so i'd be looking at that first. That disconnected takeaway where the hands push out and the club gets way outside combined with the reroute at the top to drop inside is something you can manage with irons but gives me anxiety thinking about managing with a driver. 

As always pretty spot on.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Posted (edited)

I will bench the Ventus for a bit and try the Accra. I worked on feeling left arm parallel swings in my round and mostly everything was good but driver. I hit the range after and the Ventus I really had to work for. The Accra was better (see picture) but then I got tired. Did also find moving the weight more neutral instead of on the toe helped. 

IMG_0086.jpeg

Edited by Rbsiedsc

On 4/9/2024 at 9:58 AM, Rbsiedsc said:

I believe too many people wrongly chose Ventus Black X flex; it's a lot of shaft to properly square the face.  I don't think it's feel as much as the flex and weight.  You might try Black or Blue in stiff flex.  Original Ventus Velo shafts are a tad softer than TR versions.

My T100 irons have MMT 105S.  However, my hitter SS isn't fast enough for black 6X but maybe for 5X.   I have been thinking about buying one, except I am doing rather well with 44.5" Ventus TR Blue 5S. 

Normally, I drive the ball better using a shaft that has a Stiff handle and stiff tip; thus Blue profiles never qualified, until I tried Ventus TR Blue.  Its profile feels stiffer than most Blue profile shafts.  Feels like the blue handle is stiff as original Red, only has a stiffer tip.  All I am going for is to carry 245.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

16 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I believe too many people wrongly chose Ventus Black X flex; it's a lot of shaft to properly square the face.  I don't think it's feel as much as the flex and weight.  You might try Black or Blue in stiff flex.  Original Ventus Velo shafts are a tad softer than TR versions.

My T100 irons have MMT 105S.  However, my hitter SS isn't fast enough for black 6X but maybe for 5X.   I have been thinking about buying one, except I am doing rather well with 44.5" Ventus TR Blue 5S. 

Normally, I drive the ball better using a shaft that has a Stiff handle and stiff tip; thus Blue profiles never qualified, until I tried Ventus TR Blue.  Its profile feels stiffer than most Blue profile shafts.  Feels like the blue handle is stiff as original Red, only has a stiffer tip.  All I am going for is to carry 245.

Makes sense. My best moments with the black were times I was overswinging and was somehow in a rhythm. My irons then were not so good. Hoping some time with the Accra helps. In reality I should just go for a fitting. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Makes sense. My best moments with the black were times I was overswinging and was somehow in a rhythm. My irons then were not so good. Hoping some time with the Accra helps. In reality I should just go for a fitting. 

Yes, I couldn't fit myself for driver until I had a fitting and learned what clubs are supposed to feel like.  

Then I went home and adjusted a driver properly.

It was expensive, but the fitted clubs I bought work really well.

Saved me a ton of time not messing with clubs that don't fit me.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Over-swinging with Black X, will detrimentally impact your swing with KBS Tour Stiff.

PS, I fit myself because I enjoy it and can afford to.  Wouldn't suggest that to others, though.  

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

2 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Over-swinging with Black X, will detrimentally impact your swing with KBS Tour Stiff.

Yup, would turn into hook city. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ShortGolfer said:

Yes, I couldn't fit myself for driver until I had a fitting and learned what clubs are supposed to feel like.  

Then I went home and adjusted a driver properly.

It was expensive, but the fitted clubs I bought work really well.

Saved me a ton of time not messing with clubs that don't fit me.

Agreed. It’s the only club in my bag I have t been fit to. Think it’s about time. Lol

Posted (edited)

Update after my round today in 40* weather. After three holes to get the feel, with the Accra I had drives of 260 (down right side), 262 (on target), 277 (a draw onto target) and 254 (right of target) which were great to see. I do have a kbs TD coming too as my DI with the PGH 95 is a club I strike really well. I do believe I have to move on from the Ventus black. 

Edited by Rbsiedsc

Couple weeks of NTC and to the range. Tested three shafts. Slightly different total weights. Same head weight. 6 balls each. 

accra tz5 m4 55 proto. Longest shaft. 

felt the lightest. Was having trouble finding center. 

IMG_0127.jpeg.463a90c9b5796bb0bfd4e51f4d9f841f.jpeg

kbs td 70g cat 4. About 45”

more feel of kick. Head felt way heavier. Got good height and good face strikes.  felt like my irons shafts. 
IMG_0128.jpeg.c568ad082b0a5984a25791e3f0335d62.jpeg

ventus black 6x 44.5”

more stiff. Hot mostly straight except one hook and one heel bit. Ball didn’t seem as explosive off of it. Felt like I had to work harder. 

IMG_0129.jpeg.0a632fb7f9b163953dc8fa2a06a74934.jpeg

Is that foot spray? I’d like to try that on my driver. Is it easy to clean it all off?

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

46 minutes ago, ProStryker said:

Is that foot spray? I’d like to try that on my driver. Is it easy to clean it all off?

Yes it is and very easy if you get it right away

So did some investigation on swing weights and it was eye opening 

Kbs td at 45.5”

E1

Accra at 45.25”

D6

Ventus at 44.5”

D3

I now swapped in a 10g weight and will try that out instead on the 18g I had in there.  I also plan on gripping down on the kbs and see how that goes. Will also test accra at full length with less head weight. I’ll figure this out by hook or by crook. 

11 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

So did some investigation on swing weights and it was eye opening 

Kbs td at 45.5”

E1

Accra at 45.25”

D6

Ventus at 44.5”

D3

I now swapped in a 10g weight and will try that out instead on the 18g I had in there.  I also plan on gripping down on the kbs and see how that goes. Will also test accra at full length with less head weight. I’ll figure this out by hook or by crook. 

I was going to note that it's interesting you mentioned the KBS TD "feeling like your iron shafts" because it has a very low balance point similar to steel, which fits both what you felt and what you measured here. It should swingweight around 2pts heavier than the Ventus Black 6x, and if said VB was an inch longer to match the KBS TD it would measure D9, so that all tracks. 

You're coming around to finding the same thing that many do; heavier setups tightening your face control and therefore strike pattern. Continuing to experiment with weight in this way can help, because both headweight, swingweight, and playing length all have optimal points for each player. That KBS TD shortened to 44.5" but with a heavier weight to get up towards the high "D" swingweight range could be ideal. Or it might just take a heavier weight with the Ventus Black. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-7i 26*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

6 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

I was going to note that it's interesting you mentioned the KBS TD "feeling like your iron shafts" because it has a very low balance point similar to steel, which fits both what you felt and what you measured here. It should swingweight around 2pts heavier than the Ventus Black 6x, and if said VB was an inch longer to match the KBS TD it would measure D9, so that all tracks. 

You're coming around to finding the same thing that many do; heavier setups tightening your face control and therefore strike pattern. Continuing to experiment with weight in this way can help, because both headweight, swingweight, and playing length all have optimal points for each player. That KBS TD shortened to 44.5" but with a heavier weight to get up towards the high "D" swingweight range could be ideal. Or it might just take a heavier weight with the Ventus Black. 

Thanks. Will try the kbs first as the Ventus was a heavy setup short prior and I was inconsistent. Will see where this adventure goes. The way humans react differently to different profiles and weights is very interesting to me. Nothing is black and white. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 5:15 AM, Valtiel said:

played with the lighter head weight KBS and it was nice. Still playing at longer length. Hit 4 very solid drives (288, 277, 258, 254) today. I did have one meh drive and 2 stinkers that were all on me. I have my preferred grip coming in (currently has a std GP and i play a Sonar + midsize). Feeling very comfortable in the setup.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well today of the 12 times I used driver off the tee today I hit 50% of my fairways. Mostly when I choked down. I believe the kbs td is here to stay although my distance is down from last year (my Chs was faster last your by about 7 mph).