Single Vision Prescription Sunglasses

I thought about doing that years ago when I first started needing glasses to see. There are just too many things I want to be able to see clearly when playing golf so I have always done progressive lenses. The ball at address really needs to be in focus, yes. But if I had single-power lenses for that I'd be totally unable to follow it in flight. And then in between the two I really need to be able to see the contours of the grass between my ball and the hole when putting. 

For my rather strong prescription these days, there just wouldn't be any way to have acceptable clarity of the ball at address, the putting green a few feet from me and the ball in flight.

The trick my optician uses for golfers with progressive sunglasses is to move the transition much lower on the lens than usual. So I end up with a very tiny sliver of up-close (reading) magnification and the intermediate power falls pretty low on the lens, about where the ball appears at address. Most of the lens is distance power. 

This arrangement makes sure the higher power reading prescription doesn't creep up into my view of the ball at address.

• Like 2

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

I’m nearsighted and use single vision lenses in my Oakley polarized sunglasses. I have no problems with seeing the ball at address.  Years ago I had Ray Ban’s that weren’t clear at address and I attribute that to how the lenses were ground.   Depending on the sky conditions it can be harder to follow the ball when it descends and that’s why you play with your buddies. 

Edited by K48

I  am very nearsighted (-6 in my better eye) and have no problem seeing the ball at address or putting with single prescription sunglasses.

I buy frames that allow large flat lenses.

I typically play with  yellow golf balls.   Most often I play as a single and need to track the ball accurately.

Edited by ShortGolfer

When the ball became blurred for me at address my optometrist recommended single vision distance contacts so I could still wear all my sunglasses. I could see the ball clear at address and my distance was clear. My only problem was I needed to bring along readers to read.

On my most recent visit to my new optometrist she recommended giving multi focal contacts a try. I am now able to read and see my ball clearly at address. I lost a little way out longer distance vision.

The other option the optometrist suggested was what North Butte mentions. Wearing glasses with the transition much lower on the lenses if you need reading and distance.

I would say going with single vision distance sunglasses you should be fine seeing the ball at address and down the fairway. 

I would suggest discussing your options with your optometrist.

Edited by Greenie
  • Like 1

I use my normal progressive prescription with the gradation to close up reading moved down a bit. 

My latest pair of Rudy Project have relatively flat lenses, as my prescription wouldn’t allow for a more curved wrap around type, as it would be distorted towards the edges.

You can set up as if you’re addressing the ball, have the optometrist mark the lens, have that eye to ball distance focused at that point.

I’ve found just moving the progressive part down for me works fine.

Now gotta take care of these so I don’t have to spend $800+ again too soon😆

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10k 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX R

Maltby TS1 IM 7-GW - Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

1 hour ago, robp11 said:

I'm thinking about having a pair made.  If you use your distance prescription, is the ball still blurry?  Or should I have the prescription optimized for my eye to ground distance so that the ball is in focus at address?  

Just depends on how poor your vision is.  Even when my eyes were at -3.5, I wore contacts for distance vision and didn't worry about being able to read the scorecard.  The ball was clear enough while putting or addressing the ball.

My first option would be to wear contacts for distance and "plain" sunglasses.  2nd option would be as @North Butte does.  Last option would be prescription single vision sunglasses.  

I do have progressives and I could play golf in them, but I chose not to because if I don't move my head in the right way to keep the ball in focus, it disappears about 100 yards out and I might not pick it up again.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Getting LAL myself to fix this for a long time.  If you can afford, get checked for cataracts now and/or if you are young, figure out the cost of LAL vs paying for glasses and contacts for  along time.....  I know, there is Lasik too, but that wears off typically in your 40's (men) for nearsighted-ness.  

You cabn talk about the risks, but they have been doing basic cataract surgery for over 50 years so why wait until your are 80 to have good sight again?

My opinion of course, great link: 

• Like 1

Tensei 1K Black S shaft TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

I've played a few times in my perscription sunglasses.  They're polarized, which I really don't care for when playing golf.  Something to consider.

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Shamir sport lens ask you optometrist, Not cheap but well worth it in my opinion.

I have progressive lens the sport has a small bi-focal at the bottom great for the scorecard, 

bottom half is for 5-10 foot for putting top is distance.

if i use single vison the ball looks like a tennis ball no dimples it just looks fussy,

check them out online!

I've tried to play in my progressive lenses but am not able to.  My solution the last two seasons is to put my progressives in my pocket and wear regular sunglasses...when I need to read something I switch glasses.    However, now I'm finding it difficult to follow my drives so I'm constantly asking my playing partners to follow my ball flight for me.  If I"m playing by myself the only way I've been able to follow my drives is to use the Vice Pro "shade" orange colored balls...at least that works...but I think I've kind of settled on trying the single vision option.  I'll still keep my progressives in my pocket if I need to read something.  

I'm unsure about the distance part of my prescription, whether or not it's optimized for a distance that is farther away than the ball.  When I play with regular sunglasses, pretty much everything is blurry, but I can still hit the ball.  If I get the distance part optimized for the eye to ground distance so as to make the ball clear at address, will the cup then become blurry if I have a long putt?  Ack, I've been thinking about this way too much....

I play in my prescription Maui Jim sunglasses almost all the time. My eyes are not that bad I think like -3 max. They kinda messed up my first pair, redid them and the optometrist basically told me when weak enough if you are not as bad being off a bit can really throw things off. If you're bad then they can be off and not as bad. 

The other thing is I got non polarized lenses, the Maui Jim blue while popular are awful for golf. I got the HCL Bronze, the Pink are even better I just didn't like the tint. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

18 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I play in my prescription Maui Jim sunglasses almost all the time. My eyes are not that bad I think like -3 max. They kinda messed up my first pair, redid them and the optometrist basically told me when weak enough if you are not as bad being off a bit can really throw things off. If you're bad then they can be off and not as bad. 

The other thing is I got non polarized lenses, the Maui Jim blue while popular are awful for golf. I got the HCL Bronze, the Pink are even better I just didn't like the tint. 

I'm pretty sure all Maui Jim lenses are polarized...having said that, if they work for you that's awesome because you have the added benefit of a polarized lens that does not bother you!

4 minutes ago, robp11 said:

I'm pretty sure all Maui Jim lenses are polarized...having said that, if they work for you that's awesome because you have the added benefit of a polarized lens that does not bother you!

I guess they are, but apparently these are better suited for golf. The blue are for water, but yeah finding the right one for the right application. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

27 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I guess they are, but apparently these are better suited for golf. The blue are for water, but yeah finding the right one for the right application. 

Years ago, before I needed prescription lenses I had a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses that had the HCL Bronze in the superthin glass lens material...my favorite lenses of all time.  I mainly wore them in my car for driving, but Iike you I love the HCL Bronze.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, robp11 said:

Years ago, before I needed prescription lenses I had a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses that had the HCL Bronze in the superthin glass lens material...my favorite lenses of all time.  I mainly wore them in my car for driving, but Iike you I love the HCL Bronze.  

I wear them a ton, I want a more dressy frame cause I got some light sport ones for golf. I don't know what else I'd go to, used to be an Oakley fan buy I appreciate good lenses. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

3 hours ago, Socrates said:

Just depends on how poor your vision is.  Even when my eyes were at -3.5, I wore contacts for distance vision and didn't worry about being able to read the scorecard.  The ball was clear enough while putting or addressing the ball.

My first option would be to wear contacts for distance and "plain" sunglasses.  2nd option would be as @North Butte does.  Last option would be prescription single vision sunglasses.  

I do have progressives and I could play golf in them, but I chose not to because if I don't move my head in the right way to keep the ball in focus, it disappears about 100 yards out and I might not pick it up again.  

I have presbyopia...I never needed glasses until I hit 45, then all of a sudden I found myself struggling with reading things up close.  Later on, my long distance vision began to wane slightly as well.  When I was first diagnosed my optician said that contacts would not be an option for me, but at that point I didn't know about the single vision contacts with regular sunglasses...I'll have to think about that.  That could be an option, but I've never worn contacts before so I've always been hesitant about that...probably no big deal though.  I'll check with my optician about that.  

1 minute ago, robp11 said:

I have presbyopia...I never needed glasses until I hit 45, then all of a sudden I found myself struggling with reading things up close.  Later on, my long distance vision began to wane slightly as well.  When I was first diagnosed my optician said that contacts would not be an option for me, but at that point I didn't know about the single vision contacts with regular sunglasses...I'll have to think about that.  That could be an option, but I've never worn contacts before so I've always been hesitant about that...probably no big deal though.  I'll check with my optician about that.  

It depends on what you wish to correct.  I'd rather see distance than close up reading.  A lot of opticians want to correct everything (distance, mid and close) and think that is what the customer wants/needs.  Wearing contacts and having reading glasses is a no-brainer for most of the things I do.  I do wear my progressives a lot, but there is no way I would want to give up my contacts.  Some cannot wear contacts but unless you really can't, they are the way to go.  Multi-focal contacts just don't work, IMO.

When I hit 40, I suddenly needed reading glasses (almost overnight).  I have been wearing contacts since 1986 and one you get ones that fit and are comfortable, you will always want to wear them.  I have readers of many different magnifications (1.0 for computer and all the way to 2.0 for reading close up) and many of them.  Some at home, some in the car, some at work and some in my golf bag.

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

I also have presbyopia.  Another option is multi-focal contacts.  I’ve been wearing them for a few years. Started when  I couldn’t read the brand name on the ball when it was on the ground . No need for prescription sunglasses.  The only issue is that they can dry out in windy conditions.   I carry drops and  a pair of clear Oakleys for really windy days. 

2 hours ago, robp11 said:

This is my story..^^^Same age when it happened to me. At 45 I needed reading glasses. I had eyes like a hawk when it came to distance. As time went on the ball became fuzzy at address and my putting suffered. I lost some vision distance. I could not play in my progressive lens or my bifocal lens glasses. 

I thought about single vision glasses but I went with single vision contacts. That gave me the option to wear all my expensive sunglasses I had collected over the years. I guess I have been wearing contacts for 10+ years. I always got fitted and wore single vision contacts. Last year my new optometrist suggested giving multi focal contacts a try. She said they don't work for everyone. I gave them a try and I liked them.  I had no issues with them. I bought some single vision distance ones and some multi focal ones. I have been wearing my multi focal ones for over a year now and I haven't used any of the single vision ones. 

The optometrist will give you a pair to try out to see if they will work for you. If you can wear contacts and go that route try out both kinds.

I get dizzy with any head movement swinging when using my progressives to play golf and have been using single vision "distance Rx" sunglasses without problem for years.  I have had great luck keeping costs down with Zenni and Glasses USA online--wide selection of frames and lenses (including Transitions).  You can customize lens color and depth of tint, and polarization if desired.  They're fine for driving as well.

Edited by blopar
additional text

6 hours ago, blopar said:

I get dizzy with any head movement swinging when using my progressives to play golf and have been using single vision "distance Rx" sunglasses without problem for years.  I have had great luck keeping costs down with Zenni and Glasses USA online--wide selection of frames and lenses (including Transitions).  You can customize lens color and depth of tint, and polarization if desired.  They're fine for driving as well.

That's the problem with Zenni and others.  Their progressive lenses just aren't that good.  Kind of like expecting a Walmart Special driver to be as good as a Ping G430.  I've tried the Zenni progressives and threw them out and bought some high-end lenses.  A completely different world when it comes to vision.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

I tend to recommend single vision distance for all my patients for golf.  Mainly because you don't really do any close up stuff except write down your scores and sometimes it pays off not seeing what you write lol. Multifocal contacts however are great if you can get them adjusted correctly.  The vision tends to be good everywhere but not perfect for most people.  Don't really believe progressives are great for golf mainly due to the design.  Bottom line though if it works for you it's great.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Drwoods2017 said:

I tend to recommend single vision distance for all my patients for golf.  Mainly because you don't really do any close up stuff except write down your scores and sometimes it pays off not seeing what you write lol. Multifocal contacts however are great if you can get them adjusted correctly.  The vision tends to be good everywhere but not perfect for most people.  Don't really believe progressives are great for golf mainly due to the design.  Bottom line though if it works for you it's great.

This is the route I took.I started out with single vision contacts. I only wore them for golf.  I am so happy that I can wear multi focal contacts. I wear them any time I leave the house and for golf. I seldom wear my glasses any more when I leave the house..

When I play mountain courses with the beautiful views I may wear the single vision contacts. I lose a little clear vision out in the distance with my multi focal lenses.

I’ve found golf is a LOT less fun if you can’t see the ball in flight and all the way down. 

I wear my glasses to play. On days I forget them, it’s a lot less fun. I probably wouldn’t play if my vision got worse and I couldn’t see the ball at all, even with glasses. 

Life is too short not to see the ball flying, landing, rolling.  Figure it out. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 10:48 AM, Greenie said:

When the ball became blurred for me at address my optometrist recommended single vision distance contacts so I could still wear all my sunglasses. I could see the ball clear at address and my distance was clear. My only problem was I needed to bring along readers to read.

On my most recent visit to my new optometrist she recommended giving multi focal contacts a try. I am now able to read and see my ball clearly at address. I lost a little way out longer distance vision.

The other option the optometrist suggested was what North Butte mentions. Wearing glasses with the transition much lower on the lenses if you need reading and distance.

I would say going with single vision distance sunglasses you should be fine seeing the ball at address and down the fairway. 

I would suggest discussing your options with your optometrist.

This 100% all errr day. Perfect post. I’d agree the only issue with the multifocal contact is distance is a bit blurry but reading and computer distances are much better then with single vision distance. It’s a give a take. MF’s are also 3/4x’s the cost of single vision lenses. 

• Like 1

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Well, I ended up ordering some new lenses for my Oakley Flak 2.0 XL sunglasses.  I had my lens prescriptions updated, and the optician gave me a new prescription for both my progressives and a new prescription for single vision distance.    It turns out that while my close up vision has remained pretty much the same, my distance prescription has definitely changed.  

The new lenses are Oakley Prizm Dark Golf and I'm getting them through SportRx.  

I do have astigmatism, so am a little worried with the 8 base curve of the Oakley Flaks I might have some "fishbowl" effects.  But the opticians told that because I'm not going to be using my progressive prescription it probably will not be an issue.  If they don't work out we can try something else.  I do have a pair of sunglasses with a 6 curve that I'll try if the Oakley's don't work out (Roka Phantoms).  

I did ask about single vision contacts as well, and he said contacts can be a little more difficult for me due to my astigmatism, but he seemed to think they could make it work if I wanted to try them.  Having never worn contacts before I decided on the glasses, but I'm not ruling out the contacts at some point in the future.  I'll update again when I get the new lenses...I hope they work!

Thanks to everyone in this thread who provided great advice and feedback.  

• Like 2