2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Graphite Design vf shaft review?

tyorke1

I normally play the UB but picked up a VF for a crazy price but with wrong tip. Take a few weeks to get a tip in. Curious has anyone compared both. Also what does the VF compare to. I know low launch low spin. This one has is a 6 s

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

I play the VF and used to have the UB.  Both are ultra smooth have some pop to them ball speed wise for me.  Problem with the UB was that I would spray it everywhere.  I have much better face control with the VF.  I think it's because of the firmer mid and handle.  I can feel the bend right under the handle of the VF whereas there's a very slight bend more so towards the tip/mid of the UB. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I recently bought a VF 7S for 3wd from a friend who didn't get along with it... so far, me likely the stout handle.  Makes me wonder what it would be like in my driver, compared to my Ventus Velo TR Blue.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I have a VF that I used in my driver for a while... best way I'd describe it is an improved Ventus Black, where it doesn't feel as stiff and boardy, but yields relatively smilar ball flight with maybe a little more speed and pop 

It still is a low spin, low flight profile and it feels quite stiff, make of that what you will. I ended up going back to the Graphite Design HD 

On 4/16/2024 at 11:41 AM, phizzy30 said:

I play the VF and used to have the UB.  Both are ultra smooth have some pop to them ball speed wise for me.  Problem with the UB was that I would spray it everywhere.  I have much better face control with the VF.  I think it's because of the firmer mid and handle.  I can feel the bend right under the handle of the VF whereas there's a very slight bend more so towards the tip/mid of the UB. 

After playing the VF since I got the smoke max I decided to put the UB in it today and found the UB needed a much smoother swing or I lost it. 

The VF I could just swing away and it just went, pretty sure comparing good swings the VF is quite a bit longer for me. Could be the face control you speak of, now I am not swinging fast at all but it works.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

13 hours ago, AbSWFPGA said:

Has anyone compared directly to the GD XC?

XC has a softer handle.  Both are smooth although I felt like the VF was smoother.  This is player dependent of course.  Both have that little bit of kick/bend right under the handle.  Launch/spin wise they are very similar.  Biggest difference was stability.  I felt like the VF was a bit more stable/anti-left compared to the XC.  I think it has to do with the difference in handle stiffness where I found myself getting a bit more flippy at the bottom with the XC. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

I came from an AD DI 6x on a TSR2 at 9* turned down as far as I could and was having issue with launching it at like 18-19*, couldn't get it any lower. In Oklahoma the wind will absolutely kill the ball launching it that high. I switched to the VF6x and lowered launch to ~13* on average. The ball comes out so much better. Spin is about the same. The VF feels more stiff but still very smooth. I think of it like a DI if they had a TX flex that launched low. Big fan of this offering.

• Titleist TSR2 9* AD-VF 6x
  • Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Red 7x
  • Titleist T200 3-5 Modus 105T X
  • Titleist 620MB 6-9  Modus 105T X
  • Titleist Vokey- Sm9 Raw 46*/10 50*/12 54*/12  58*/08 DG TI 400
  • Scotty Cameron Monoblock 6.5

14 minutes ago, shanerbanner10 said:

I came from an AD DI 6x on a TSR2 at 9* turned down as far as I could and was having issue with launching it at like 18-19*, couldn't get it any lower. In Oklahoma the wind will absolutely kill the ball launching it that high. I switched to the VF6x and lowered launch to ~13* on average. The ball comes out so much better. Spin is about the same. The VF feels more stiff but still very smooth. I think of it like a DI if they had a TX flex that launched low. Big fan of this offering.

Currently DI 6x. Same boat. South Florida wind this thing spins off the map. Trying to lower launch. Had oban devo before and didn’t have the issue in the wind. New driver so didn’t continue with the devo although I could have changed tips. Will try VF or XC but I do enjoy the feel of softer handle , play x100s in irons and like the soft handle feel. 

12 minutes ago, AbSWFPGA said:

Currently DI 6x. Same boat. South Florida wind this thing spins off the map. Trying to lower launch. Had oban devo before and didn’t have the issue in the wind. New driver so didn’t continue with the devo although I could have changed tips. Will try VF or XC but I do enjoy the feel of softer handle , play x100s in irons and like the soft handle feel. 

If you like the the EI profile of the DI, the UB would be another shaft to look at.  It launches lower than the DI and spin is similar.  Still super smooth and more anti-left and has less kick while still having a softish handle.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

If you like the the EI profile of the DI, the UB would be another shaft to look at.  It launches lower than the DI and spin is similar.  Still super smooth and more anti-left and has less kick while still having a softish handle.     

I agree - except I see lower spin in the UB than the DI.

I have DI's in the fairways and hybrid, have had the XC, Ventus Blue, and UB in the driver.  Even though I really prefer a soft handle and despise anything that feels overly boardy (aka I like the feel of the XC the best, and play Nippon 120's in the irons) I think the UB is probably the better shaft for me.  It is more anti-left than the XC... I think of it as a better feeling Ventus Blue, as that starts to feel a little boardy to me when I'm not swinging great.  I think the UB feels more like the DI 105 Hybrid than it does the standard DI profile.  I could not play a DI in the driver, it would spin too much.  I don't have that issue with the UB.  (All the above shafts are in X).

I keep the DI's in the fairways because the spin doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't be surprised if I switch them out this year.

Edit:  Sorry - not trying to derail a VF thread.  I have not hit that yet but I am excited to try one out as well.

Edited by R_Swanson

4 minutes ago, AbSWFPGA said:

I definitely tend to miss left , (power draw) with the di6x. Are the vf xc and UB all low launch lower spin? I don’t want super boardy and like the soft handle feel that’s why I was leaning xc. As it says low launch but softer handle 

VF and XC are lower launch/spin for me compared to the DI.  UB is lower launch but spin is similar for me as I've posted earlier.  None of the shafts mentioned are boardy.  XC's handle is one of the softest I've tested followed by UB then VF which is firm but not as stiff as let's say a Ventus black or TR black.     

11 minutes ago, AbSWFPGA said:

I definitely tend to miss left , (power draw) with the di6x. Are the vf xc and UB all low launch lower spin? I don’t want super boardy and like the soft handle feel that’s why I was leaning xc. As it says low launch but softer handle 

GD lists the DI as low spin, but I don't think most people find it to be very low spin in real life.. I also think GD lists the UB as closer to the DI than it actually is.

VF is lowest spin/lowest launch - according to everyone that has hit it.  XC is lower spin and lower launch, but in my experience it isn't really low spin or launch compared to other manufacturers low spin and launch offerings.  I hit the XC only a little lower than the UB.  I hit the DI much higher and it spins a good amount more than either the UB or the XC.   I don't have numbers handy, unfortunately.  I tested them 12-18 months ago.

XC def has the softest handle, doesn't feel boardy AT ALL.  Neither kick like the DI do.  Again, I can't speak to the VF.

I don't know what your numbers are, but I am a low to mid 160's guy that needs to take some spin off the ball, and I also can't stand boardy shafts.  I don't want to speak for @phizzy30 but I could have sworn he's 180+ and has a real aggressive transition, so his results are probably somewhat different than mine for logical reasons.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, R_Swanson said:

GD lists the DI as low spin, but I don't think most people find it to be very low spin in real life.. I also think GD lists the UB as closer to the DI than it actually is.

VF is lowest spin/lowest launch - according to everyone that has hit it.  XC is lower spin and lower launch, but in my experience it isn't really low spin or launch compared to other manufacturers low spin and launch offerings.  I hit the XC only a little lower than the UB.  I hit the DI much higher and it spins a good amount more than either the UB or the XC.   I don't have numbers handy, unfortunately.  I tested them 12-18 months ago.

XC def has the softest handle, doesn't feel boardy AT ALL.  Neither kick like the DI do.  Again, I can't speak to the VF.

I don't know what your numbers are, but I am a low to mid 160's guy that needs to take some spin off the ball, and I also can't stand boardy shafts.  I don't want to speak for @phizzy30 but I could have sworn he's 180+ and has a real aggressive transition, so his results are probably somewhat different than mine for logical reasons.

On course ball speed is 175 but I can get in the low 180's on the range, lol.  I'm actually not comfortable going over 180 out on the course tbh.  DI launches the highest out of all the shafts mentioned and the variance was 100-300 rpm spin between it and UB which is why I said it was similar to me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

On course ball speed is 175 but I can get in the low 180's on the range, lol.  I'm actually not comfortable going over 180 out on the course tbh.  DI launches the highest out of all the shafts mentioned and the variance was 100-300 rpm spin between it and UB which is why I said it was similar to me. 

Haha - that is probably a nice problem to have 🙂

That is super close.  I'm going to get a driver fitting again this year, I will hit the DI again just out of curiosity.  But I saw a bigger difference than that.  Either way though, good info, I know you hit a lot of shafts.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the in depth feedback. Maybe I will try vf if the xc is spinning more than a true low low. I’m spinning the DI way too much in the driver. I know driver head has to do with this as well. Cobra dark speed max. Jury is out if I like it better than the g400max I have games forever. I believe the cobra head is a higher spin head and paired with the AD there’s windy days in soflo the ball goes behind me. 

18 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

VF and XC are lower launch/spin for me compared to the DI.  UB is lower launch but spin is similar for me as I've posted earlier.  None of the shafts mentioned are boardy.  XC's handle is one of the softest I've tested followed by UB then VF which is firm but not as stiff as let's say a Ventus black or TR black.     

I am seeing that the XC in 6x is actually lower torque than the vf 6x. Any idea how?

14 minutes ago, AbSWFPGA said:

I am seeing that the XC in 6x is actually lower torque than the vf 6x. Any idea how?

No clue.  You should email GD direct about that.  They're usually good at getting back in a timely fashion. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

I did not get along with the UB but I am in love with the VF. The feel with VF to me is much smoother as the UB I felt like I was fighting it.

• Like 2

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X  44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone compare the 5S & 5X?

TaylorMade Qi10 Core 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5TX Hulk

TaylorMade SIM Max 12 HZRDUS Black 4Gen 60 6.0

Srixon ZX4 MkII 4 iron Nippon Modus 105X

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5-PW Nippon Modus 105X

Cleveland RTX 48 DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX 6 52 & 56 DG120 X100

Cleveland Full Face 60 DG Spinner

Bettinardi BB28

• 2 weeks later...

VF5S vs XC6S comparison. XC won out on launch monitor data but the VF had something special in it. I am more a fast swinger than smooth and I think that suited the VF vs the XC.  I have to really think smooth in XC and then it launches well but high.  Both with AI 3D head at 9deg.

I see the 5s has 4.x torque so not sure that helped also. I may be looking to get a VF 5s back myself to try in a TSR4 head. I have a VC Blue6S to try also, but don’t think that compares to these shafts - thought on that?

• Like 1

Blue Velocore+ 6S, TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper Lite S T150 4-Gap
S200 Shaft SM10 54S and 58M
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 6:43 AM, Wardonation said:

I did not get along with the UB but I am in love with the VF. The feel with VF to me is much smoother as the UB I felt like I was fighting it.

Did you have issues with face control like I did?  I really wanted to love the UB because it's sooooo smooth but I think the softer mid just threw my timing off.  It was like playing military golf.  Left, right, left, right........I also noticed that Kitayama switched to the VF proto coming from the UB.  He has an aggressive transition like me. 

Edited by phizzy30

21 minutes ago, Wardman said:

VF5S vs XC6S comparison. XC won out on launch monitor data but the VF had something special in it. I am more a fast swinger than smooth and I think that suited the VF vs the XC.  I have to really think smooth in XC and then it launches well but high.  Both with AI 3D head at 9deg.

I see the 5s has 4.x torque so not sure that helped also. I may be looking to get a VF 5s back myself to try in a TSR4 head. I have a VC Blue6S to try also, but don’t think that compares to these shafts - thought on that?

What's VC Blue?

Posted (edited)

Yes, speed is there, I leave it open a lot and not squaring up. Ventus Blue 6s. 

I did try a Ventus red 6x and KaiLi 6x and they just were not for me. Call me lazy, but just not able to swing it well consistently. 

Edited by Wardman

7 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Did you have issues with face control like I did?  I really wanted to love the UB because it's sooooo smooth but I think the softer mid just threw my timing off.  It was like playing military golf.  Left, right, left, right........I also noticed that Kitayama switched to the VF proto coming from the UB.  He has an aggressive transition like me. 

100% for me... I felt like the shaft played with a ton of torque. I am aggressive as well, when I smoothed the UB it was brilliant but might quick transition tendencies always pop up. I am just a HUGE fan of the VF. For me it is the first GD driver shaft that has the dispersion I have always wanted with the classic DI feel. I think it will go down right next to the Ventus as an all time classic. The VF is the first driver shaft GD has made that I can see take on a cult following on tour way more than the DI ever did. 

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X  44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Wardonation said:

100% for me... I felt like the shaft played with a ton of torque. I am aggressive as well, when I smoothed the UB it was brilliant but might quick transition tendencies always pop up. I am just a HUGE fan of the VF. For me it is the first GD driver shaft that has the dispersion I have always wanted with the classic DI feel. I think it will go down right next to the Ventus as an all time classic. The VF is the first driver shaft GD has made that I can see take on a cult following on tour way more than the DI ever did. 

My SS is 105-112. What VF did you go with. Maybe I’m hurtin myself with the 5S. In track man,  Ventus Red 6S was also good for me. 

Edited by Wardman