2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Lost my 8-iron (and whoever picked it up lied about finding it). It just turned up at a resale store!

This thread is making me strongly consider putting my address labels (I bought from MG golf a few years ago) on my clubs. They match my DG x100 bands anyhow.  I also custom paint my clubs and/o know the serial numbers (hard to custom paint a driver or fairway wood).  I would instantly know if something of mine showed up in a "sale".  Thankfully, I've never forgotten a club. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jrg75 said:

Accountability, LOL, I'm sure the Dallas District Attorney is just chomping at the bit to get this one, I mean, we only had 246 murders here last year.

My mental image of a WRXer getting a club stolen.

Need To Stop Season 20 GIF by SVU

LOL, great point, all 3500 Dallas cops should investigate murders and let everything else slide.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, k_rock5 said:

LOL, great point, all 3500 Dallas cops should investigate murders and let everything else slide.

You got me......Dallas has no problems at all, I'm sure those resources are best spent tracking down the guy who found an 8 iron on the course and sold it at a second hand store.

The finder should not have lied and should have returned the club. But

I'm not sure legally if you lost a club that the finder has a legal responsibility to return it.  Morally yes. legally? Not black and white.  It's nearly abandoned property.  Not that I agree with this but I'm not sure the finder could be prosecuted for not returning "abandoned" property.  Though this gets messy if he denied having it when and if the owner asked about it.

I've had cases dismissed for nearly this same thing.  Defendant knows it's not theirs, didn't return it, dismissed!  They didn't "steal"  the item, they found it in a public place with no expectation of privacy by the owner.

Hope all works out for the OP. Sounds like he'll get the club back, with cost.

3 minutes ago, jrg75 said:

You got me......Dallas has no problems at all, I'm sure those resources are best spent tracking down the guy who found an 8 iron on the course and sold it at a second hand store.

You can make it about a golf club all you want.  My point is police investigate petty crimes all the time.  Like I said, right cop on the right day and maybe they make a phone call or knock on a door to help this guy out.  Your idea of how resources should be used is probably better that how they actually are used, but that just the reality of how the government operates.

6 hours ago, k_rock5 said:

You can make it about a golf club all you want.  My point is police investigate petty crimes all the time.  Like I said, right cop on the right day and maybe they make a phone call or knock on a door to help this guy out.  Your idea of how resources should be used is probably better that how they actually are used, but that just the reality of how the government operates.

Not trying to pick a fight, I think we are looking at this from different angles, mine comes from reality of our current justice system and yours from what should happen.

I am happy the OP got his 8 iron back for a modest amount.

Edited by jrg75

6 hours ago, 4rite said:

What's the logic here?! That would justify him keeping the club that's not his so he can fund his new set? Come on man....

Some 'financially challenged' people do things that most normal folk would consider unthinkable. It's clearly not normal human behavior but I don't think cursing his actions will change anything. At least, that's my take on this situation.

3 hours ago, nvr3putt said:

Some 'financially challenged' people do things that most normal folk would consider unthinkable. It's clearly not normal human behavior but I don't think cursing his actions will change anything. At least, that's my take on this situation.

“Financially challenged” doesn’t automatically make a person “morally challenged”…. one could say is the real action by the dishonest person that kept the club in this case. Plenty of poor folks would still have the character to do the right thing….

• Like 2

If the op personally asked the person that found his “left behind” not “lost” club if they had seen it, and the person that picked it up said no, the person Stole op’s club. OP is entitled to his club regardless of where he finds it later. Period. At least in every part of the US TMK. 

Selling stolen goods is illegal. 

• Like 1

So technically the OP never lost his club. More forgot about it for a moment. So no I don’t think the OP should have to buy his club back and then move on. Especially if he can prove it’s his 8 iron. Im sure if they really wanted to get down to the nitty gritty of things. Im sure they can pull up the receipt and the surveillance tape of the time it happened. 

• Like 1

Golf is gentlemen's game 🙃

Probably could make a case for theft.  If it was found on the side of the road, different story.....found on a golf course and selling for profit IMO is purposely depriving the owner of their property!  As of others have said ...may not be worth the time effort, etc.  To me it's the principle of it.  I'd want to know who did it and who was all involved.....so I "might consider doing more so Id know!

I would explain the situation to the shop and try to negotiate a deal where you pay what they bought it for. Also I would ask for the name of the person that sold the club to the shop so you can report them to the Club Director.  I would expect most clubs would not tolerate what this person did and there would be a suspension of their club privileges. The club might also require them to reimburse you for the cost to get the club back.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

On 4/17/2024 at 2:58 PM, RoyalMustang said:

Heritage Ranch was the course: the shop it showed up at is GolfRoots in Farmer's Branch.

I went and picked up the club. They charged me the $60+tax unfortunately, but did say that they would see who sold it to them and flag him in the future. 

Oh well, we all know there are some scumbags out there. 

Were you able to prove it was yours, a little surprised they wouldn't sell it back for what they paid. Seems like a lot of shady individuals out there.

8 minutes ago, ae1985 said:

I think I'm gonna get some personalized shaft bands with my name and address.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't waste your money on those. If someone finds a club they'll either do the right thing and turn it in or they won't.

If someone is the type of person that won't turn the club in (and is going to take it to a pawn/resale shop) a shaft band isn't going to prevent that from happening. They'll just peel the sticker off...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't waste your money on those. If someone finds a club they'll either do the right thing and turn it in or they won't.

If someone is the type of person that won't turn the club in (and is going to take it to a pawn/resale shop) a shaft band isn't going to prevent that from happening. They'll just peel the sticker off...

That’s for sure

2 hours ago, Abh159 said:

You are probably right.  But it makes the process just a little more difficult to get away with it quickly. 

6 hours ago, Anser3 said:

You are probably right.  But it makes the process just a little more difficult to get away with it quickly. 

Putting your phone number so that the person trying to do the right thing can contact you right away is a good idea.

That's a good idea for an expensive item like a range finder.

Unfortunately i am not sure that all range finders turned in get returned to the owner .. . .

2 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

Putting your phone number so that the person trying to do the right thing can contact you right away is a good idea.

That's a good idea for an expensive item like a range finder.

Unfortunately i am not sure that all range finders turned in get returned to the owner .. . .

Sadly, I doubt it (agree with you on your last point).

On 4/17/2024 at 2:58 PM, RoyalMustang said:

Heritage Ranch was the course: the shop it showed up at is GolfRoots in Farmer's Branch.

I went and picked up the club. They charged me the $60+tax unfortunately, but did say that they would see who sold it to them and flag him in the future. 

Oh well, we all know there are some scumbags out there. 

I really can't believe they charged you full price, that sucks man but at least you have your complete set back.  Did you prove to them it came from your original set?

Driver: Ping G410 LST, 9 degree, VA Composites Raijin Black 65 X

3 Wood: Sim Tour Issue, 14.5 degree, VA Composites Synystr 75 X

Utility: Ping iCrossover 3 iron, GD 95X 

Irons: Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo, TT X100

Wedges: Vokey 54/58, S300

Putter:  Lajosi, Bellum Winnmore, or Scotty 5.5......We'll see who wins!! 

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2024 at 8:32 AM, Hateto3Putt said:

Couple of things that are unclear.

1. Did the OP ask absolutely everyone who may have found his club? I mean he believes he did but are we 100% sure he did?

2. Are we 100% sure the club in the shop was his? I mean he believes it is but was that the only club made that looks like that?

One thing that is certain is that the OP lost his club.  Lost definition: "become unable to find" (something or someone).

He admits he left it unattended, nobody came into his bag and stole it.

Should the @sshat who found it have returned it? Absolutely, that's not even a debate.

I revert to my original thought, just be grateful it (or an identical one) was replaced so quickly and reasonably.

Life's way to short to sweat the small stuff, and this falls somewhere between teeny and weeny.....

Sidebar. Spring has sprung fellas, after a rain delay the Thursday league starts today! The Sunday skinsfest kicked off last weekend, I played like crap but made a putt for $52. I hope all you WRXr's have an amazing season. Gotta go Tee it up!

Play well boys.

1) I asked people as I drove by. Just the groups though

2) Yes, absolutely it's my club. 8 iron Mizuno MMC MP20 with X100 120g DG shafts, new Velvet standard grips, and wear pattern identical to the 7 and 9. The guy at the shop said "looks like your club, sorry about that" as he proceeded to charge me full price. 

My 9-iron is underneath, 8-iron is on top. 

8-9.png

Edited by RoyalMustang

On 4/16/2024 at 10:40 PM, e.king.gill said:

Maybe I'm naive but any self respecting owner / manager of the resale shop should listen for 30 seconds take one look at your 7 and your 9 and happily hand it over.   Anyone with any ethics knows that there could be some "stolen"  /  questionably  found clubs coming through the door most every day.  

You also have the nuclear option of taking some pictures and lighting them up like a Christmas tree on social media - perhaps threaten that if you don't get what you want. 

Also the clown that stole your club - I would hunt him down and destroy him on social media  ... just sayin

In most states, there's a process by which you can claim stolen items at a pawn broker. This may involve the cops and/or the courts, and there's obviously a time consideration. A pawn broker who makes a habit of "happily handing over" items that may have been stolen is going to find himself quickly getting scammed on the regular. I'm buying the club and moving on.

Regarding your "nuclear" option, don't be that guy. The pawn shop is a victim here.