Ping mini driver 2024??

Can someone please talk Ping into creating a mini driver… If they did, would you want turbulators or no?  

Callaway is coming out with one, taylormade has a home run with the BRNR (just updated that one and looks great) and titleist just made one and looks awesome (anything like the TSR3 and I will be getting one). 

Do you use a mini driver? I caved my mini 300 13.5 degree and they gave me a new Qi10ls driver instead as a replacement … sold it and waiting on some of these minis to come out. Currently use a 17 degree OG UW with a graphite design HD 7X tipped 2”. One of my favorite clubs but want something with a bit more launching power off the tee and not a fan of 3 woods (not very forgiving compared to driver or even the UW - uw is extremely consistent on mishit spin and ball speed). 

BTW Justin Thomas is testing the titleist mini driver at the heritage, Xander with the Callaway and Rory is testing the taylormade mini! 

Let’s hear it! 

Edited by Scottishducati
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SoCalTitleist said:

they already make  a Stretch 3, mini driver fad pops up every few years.

Tell me you’re not a mini driver fan without telling me… 😂  Tour players don’t change easily since they’ve grooved a certain setup for so long. If it’s gaining traction out there it’s worth a look (players that only use it off the tee it’s a no brainer but takes a bit to find the right setup and tee height - much higher moi and if they love their driver *like me* it’s a perfect transition in the bag). Shorter players probably benefit from having a 3 wood more since they’ll use it a lot from the fairway. 

I thought the stretch was just a strong 3 wood (not a big change in CC over the normal 3 wood and MOI isn’t too different either). 

Edited by Scottishducati
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, SoCalTitleist said:

they already make  a Stretch 3, mini driver fad pops up every few years.

To be fair, they haven't done a version of one of these since the G400.  One could make the argument that they're due for something in this niche, even if they just brought back the Rapture with an adjustable hosel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scottishducati said:

Tell you’re not a mini driver fan without telling me… 😂  Tour players don’t change easily since they’ve grooved a certain setup for so long. If it’s gaining traction out there it’s worth a look (players that only use it off the tee it’s a no brainer but takes a bit to find the right setup and tee height - much higher moi and if they love their driver *like me* it’s a perfect transition in the bag). Shorter players probably benefit from having a 3 wood more since they’ll use it a lot from the fairway. 

I thought the stretch was just a strong 3 wood (not a big change in CC over the normal 3 wood and MOI isn’t too different either). 

I wouldn’t say it’s gaining traction out there. How many tour pros actually bag a mini driver for events ? 

17 minutes ago, doctor220 said:

I wouldn’t say it’s gaining traction out there. How many tour pros actually bag a mini driver for events ? 

… testing currently or in play … Rory, Xander, JT, Fleetwood, Dechambeau, Cam Young, Ben Taylor, Christian Bezuidenhout to name a few. Quite a few guys on korn ferry and DP world. Great option... not gaining traction… but people are seeing the benefits and testing and putting into play. 

• Like 2

To be honest, I am ok without a mini driver. Less face area and unusable off the deck from 99% of lies is not appealing. I can turn over a driver just fine as is and frankly I think the people who truly think their slice will magically become a draw just by decreasing the ccs of their driver head are probably kidding themselves. I get away with far more drives off the toe/heel/low on face/high on face than I hit cuts that would have turned over if the head was smaller.

I'm sure it would be great for some folks but I can't figure out what the need is for it. If you want tighter dispersion why not just shorten the shaft of a regular driver? Would probably be easier to hit in the center and go just as far as a mini. Also don't think they're much better off the deck than just ripping a regular driver off the deck with proper technique, but I've only hit the Taylormade iterations, so maybe another brand's model is better. 

I do find it hilarious that Scott Fawcett is taking credit for the popularity of mini drivers. Now that is funny. Shocked that with all of his power and influence Ping hasn't taken notice and put out an entire line of mini drivers just because he talked about them in a webinar or something

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Scottishducati said:

… testing currently or in play … Rory, Xander, JT, Fleetwood, Dechambeau, Cam Young, Ben Taylor, Christian Bezuidenhout to name a few. Quite a few guys on korn ferry and DP world. Great option... not gaining traction… but people are seeing the benefits and testing and putting into play. 

Think it would be helpful to separate who is testing and who is actually playing. It would make marketing sense for your top players to be seen hitting a new club you’re unveiling and they do this with just about every club that it makes sense for a good player to play. 

it is another thing if they actually put them in the bag. Mini drivers aren’t versatile and these same good players you refer to hit 3W pretty darn good. Modern 3W go mega far anyway so think these mini drivers are kinda nonsensical clubs. 

24 minutes ago, kiawah said:

I do find it hilarious that Scott Fawcett is taking credit for the popularity of mini drivers. Now that is funny. Shocked that with all of his power and influence Ping hasn't taken notice and put out an entire line of mini drivers just because he talked about them in a webinar or something

Scott is a gigantic narcissist. 

He also is basically solely responsible for WIll Zalatoris' success and could easily join the Champions Tour if it wasn't for [enter excuse number 873]. 

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

26 minutes ago, doctor220 said:

Think it would be helpful to separate who is testing and who is actually playing. It would make marketing sense for your top players to be seen hitting a new club you’re unveiling and they do this with just about every club that it makes sense for a good player to play. 

it is another thing if they actually put them in the bag. Mini drivers aren’t versatile and these same good players you refer to hit 3W pretty darn good. Modern 3W go mega far anyway so think these mini drivers are kinda nonsensical clubs. 

Which 2W / mini’s have you tried out? 

38 minutes ago, RCGA said:

Scott is a gigantic narcissist. 

He also is basically solely responsible for WIll Zalatoris' success and could easily join the Champions Tour if it wasn't for [enter excuse number 873]. 

Such a turnoff. I was a Decade subscriber at one point (NEVER again) and I remember tweeting something pretty mild about how I played more freely or better when I just forgot about the Decade philosophies and just played golf and he blocked me. Kind of funny. 

2 hours ago, doctor220 said:

Phil and Jake Knapp have it in the bag are two that weren't mentioned.

2 hours ago, kiawah said:

To be honest, I am ok without a mini driver. Less face area and unusable off the deck from 99% of lies is not appealing. I can turn over a driver just fine as is and frankly I think the people who truly think their slice will magically become a draw just by decreasing the ccs of their driver head are probably kidding themselves. I get away with far more drives off the toe/heel/low on face/high on face than I hit cuts that would have turned over if the head was smaller.

I'm sure it would be great for some folks but I can't figure out what the need is for it. If you want tighter dispersion why not just shorten the shaft of a regular driver? Would probably be easier to hit in the center and go just as far as a mini. Also don't think they're much better off the deck than just ripping a regular driver off the deck with proper technique, but I've only hit the Taylormade iterations, so maybe another brand's model is better. 

The point of mini driver/2 metal is to cover the distance gap for longer guys.  The longer you are, the bigger the gap between driver and 3/5 metal.  That's where the mini driver comes into play.  Guys like Bryson and Cam Young definitely benefit from having one their bag since they won't ever need to hit a 3/4 metal off the deck. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

11 hours ago, Scottishducati said:

Can someone please talk Ping into creating a mini driver… If they did, would you want turbulators or no?  

Callaway is coming out with one, taylormade has a home run with the BRNR (just updated that one and looks great) and titleist just made one and looks awesome (anything like the TSR3 and I will be getting one). 

Do you use a mini driver? I caved my mini 300 13.5 degree and they gave me a new Qi10ls driver instead as a replacement … sold it and waiting on some of these minis to come out. Currently use a 17 degree OG UW with a graphite design HD 7X tipped 2”. One of my favorite clubs but want something with a bit more launching power off the tee and not a fan of 3 woods (not very forgiving compared to driver or even the UW - uw is extremely consistent on mishit spin and ball speed). 

BTW Justin Thomas is testing the titleist mini driver at the heritage, Xander with the Callaway and Rory is testing the taylormade mini! 

Let’s hear it! 

They had a hell of mini driver with the Rature Ti. I had one and it was a weapon. Should have never got rid of it.

https://pluggedingolf.com/ping-rapture-fairway-wood-review/

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

6 hours ago, eric61 said:

I posted about this elsewhere but since this is a Ping-focused thread, I thought it was really interesting to see Marty Jertson talking about how he ditched his 3W for a 12 degree G430 Max driver playing 42.75” in this video today.

It at least leads me to believe it’s something Ping might think about. Even if it’s just adding the Stretch back into the lineup, I’d love to see them pursue it.

The 2014 Rature Ti was really hot and for a big fwy wood very easy to hit off the deck. It was expensive relatively to everything else on the market at that time, but it was giving driver ball speeds from a big fwy wood. I played one for a year and it was only 5-10 yds behind my driver. Of course I got rid of it, but man it was a great club. Had the heavy tungsten sole. If they would use that club as a template and add their “spincistency” tech to it that would be very good. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

10 hours ago, hammergolf said:

The 2014 Rature Ti was really hot and for a big fwy wood very easy to hit off the deck. It was expensive relatively to everything else on the market at that time, but it was giving driver ball speeds from a big fwy wood. I played one for a year and it was only 5-10 yds behind my driver. Of course I got rid of it, but man it was a great club. Had the heavy tungsten sole. If they would use that club as a template and add their “spincistency” tech to it that would be very good. 

The Rapture from 2014 was a great club. I remember it being a great tee option for me when I was struggling with driver. Much better than the Ping Stretch which came out years later. I still have mine & haven't played it in a few years, but it was that good. Also toyed with the Long Tom 2 wood from around 2012. Didn't get much love on here but was also a great off the tee. I consider both to be a bit of a precursor to the Mini-Driver trend.

I didn't realize Callaway was coming out with a new one. I still have the Big Bertha Mini 1.5 from several years ago. I thought Callaway to be a "one & done" with Mini-Driver trend. TM sort of had this category all to themselves last few years. I'm Interested to hear more about the Callaway Mini.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid:Callaway Paradym @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

19 hours ago, kiawah said:

I am ok without a mini driver. Less face area and unusable off the deck from 99% of lies is not appealing. I can turn over a driver just fine as is and frankly I think the people who truly think their slice will magically become a draw just by decreasing the ccs of their driver head are probably kidding themselves.

Its fine if it does not fit your bag however others have a different usage for it that counteract the qualms you make. 

There are very few bags out there that use this as their primary driver even tho it is called a mini driver.

I, like many others, use it as a 2w and in that perspective it has a lot more face area and is very useable off the deck and if cannot wrap your head around it then you probably do not vibe well with deep faced fw off the turf in general. 

• Like 1

Deep-faced 3Ws off the turf are actually great for me unless I'm playing on super firm, dry, baked-out fairways. I play a 15* TSi3, which has a deeper face than most. I just think with 11-12 degrees of loft, the ROI from good swings with a mini vs a 3+ or actual 2 wood is going to be minimal for golfers swinging under 115 mph. You simply are not going to elevate the ball enough without that amount of swing speed to hold a normal green, and unless you're playing a ton of par 5s that allow you 30+ yards of runway for the ball to roll out or 5 stimpmeter soft greens, you are probably not going to end up with any eagle looks using that club.

I'll politely disagree with the idea that the increased face area of a mini driver is advantageous over a fairway wood if you are using it off the deck, as you say. The face area is relevant off the tee because (assuming the ball is teed up around the height of the crown of your driver or fairway wood) the entire face is sitting at the level of or below the golf ball. Off the deck, the golf ball will only occupy a fraction of the depth of a driver or mini driver face compared to even the deepest face fairway wood. If you can't even get the sweet spot/CoG to the level of the ball from the fairway without taking turf, that doesn't sound like a very good fairway wood option. I think any one of the 3 wood+ offerings in around 13.5 degrees from most manufacturers would be a much better alternative for most players and almost all players below 115 SS. 

I could see it being an option for the best players in the world depending on course conditions and how certain events are set up week-to-week, but it's marketed to fill a nonexistent need in order to sell more clubs. If it works for you, awesome, and more power to you. Two truths remain:

For 99% of golfers who are struggling with their driver (and not making good contact the majority of the time), this is not a good solution.

There are much better solutions available for 99% of golfers who want a club that goes longer than their 3-wood off the deck. 

That said, it is fun to hit. Just not practical if you're concerned about the scores you're shooting and don't swing pretty fast.

19 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

The point of mini driver/2 metal is to cover the distance gap for longer guys.  The longer you are, the bigger the gap between driver and 3/5 metal.  That's where the mini driver comes into play.  Guys like Bryson and Cam Young definitely benefit from having one their bag since they won't ever need to hit a 3/4 metal off the deck. 

Yeah, if you're that long, then by all means, play it. I only swing it like 108-110, so a minidriver wouldn't do me any good. My point is that most golfers are not Bryson or Cam Young and probably have well over 200 yards in multiple times a round and would be best served with a plain jane 3 wood or a 3+.  

2 hours ago, Glock917 said:

Its fine if it does not fit your bag however others have a different usage for it that counteract the qualms you make. 

There are very few bags out there that use this as their primary driver even tho it is called a mini driver.

I, like many others, use it as a 2w and in that perspective it has a lot more face area and is very useable off the deck and if cannot wrap your head around it then you probably do not vibe well with deep faced fw off the turf in general. 

Deep-faced 3Ws off the turf are actually great for me unless I'm playing on super firm, dry, baked-out fairways. I play a 15* TSi3, which has a deeper face than most. I just think with 11-12 degrees of loft, the ROI from good swings with a mini vs a 3+ or actual 2 wood is going to be minimal for golfers swinging under 115 mph. You simply are not going to elevate the ball enough without that amount of swing speed to hold a normal green, and unless you're playing a ton of par 5s that allow you 30+ yards of runway for the ball to roll out or 5 stimpmeter soft greens, you are probably not going to end up with any eagle looks using that club.

I'll politely disagree with the idea that the increased face area of a mini driver is advantageous over a fairway wood if you are using it off the deck, as you say. The face area is relevant off the tee because (assuming the ball is teed up around the height of the crown of your driver or fairway wood) the entire face is sitting at the level of or below the golf ball. Off the deck, the golf ball will only occupy a fraction of the depth of a driver or mini driver face compared to even the deepest face fairway wood. If you can't even get the sweet spot/CoG to the level of the ball from the fairway without taking turf, that doesn't sound like a very good fairway wood option. I think any one of the 3 wood+ offerings in around 13.5 degrees from most manufacturers would be a much better alternative for most players and almost all players below 115 SS. 

I could see it being an option for the best players in the world depending on course conditions and how certain events are set up week-to-week, but it's marketed to fill a nonexistent need in order to sell more clubs. If it works for you, awesome, and more power to you. Two truths remain:

For 99% of golfers who are struggling with their driver (and not making good contact the majority of the time), this is not a good solution.

There are much better solutions available for 99% of golfers who want a club that goes longer than their 3-wood off the deck. 

That said, it is fun to hit. Just not practical if you're concerned about the scores you're shooting and don't swing pretty fast.

On 4/17/2024 at 12:47 PM, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

To be fair, they haven't done a version of one of these since the G400.  One could make the argument that they're due for something in this niche, even if they just brought back the Rapture with an adjustable hosel.

I believe that my Rapture has an adjustable hosel - standard, open and closed.  Just like my G25.

The Rapture was a great club for certain situations - like narrow fairways.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I like the mini drier craze that everyone is going towards, its nice to have different options available. That being said, I feel like the current G430 LST 3 wood is like a mini driver in that it really moves the ball and has a deeper face than the max line fairways. I have a G430 LST 3 wood and its very fun to hit, also very long but not that forgiving. 

20 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I’m a long hitter and play one but it’s not a gapping issue for me. My driver is a fade set up 95% of the time. Turning it over gets squirrely.  I have the 13.5 mini turned down 2 clicks for a little open face angle. Other than that it is set up for as short as it can be distance wise. Heavier weights 6g front and 16g rear playing 1/2” short at 43.25”.  It is an automatic 280 burner cut off the ground or I can tee it up 1/2-3/4” and launch it with high draw and can carry it 300+. It is extremely efficient low on the face as well. If I really try I can get this thing, set up as is, and get it within 15-20y of my driver.

Personally I think they play it because they rarely need a full 3wood into any holes so launch high and long carry for better approach angles into a green isn’t a need like it use to be. 

Edited by Rosco1216
  • Like 2

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

1 hour ago, gvogel said:

I believe that my Rapture has an adjustable hosel - standard, open and closed.  Just like my G25.

The Rapture was a great club for certain situations - like narrow fairways.

Fair, I meant Ping’s updated hosel - bit more adjustability.

Point is, that club was great - and ahead of its time. Might do well now with minimal changes given the cult following and more favorable climate for clubs in this niche. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kiawah said:

I'll politely disagree with the idea that the increased face area of a mini driver is advantageous over a fairway wood if you are using it off the deck, as you say. The face area is relevant off the tee because (assuming the ball is teed up around the height of the crown of your driver or fairway wood) the entire face is sitting at the level of or below the golf ball. Off the deck, the golf ball will only occupy a fraction of the depth of a driver or mini driver face compared to even the deepest face fairway wood.

Surprisingly this club is very hot on low strikes and I would almost say the sweet spot is on the lower equator of the face. I gamed mine for a year now and my wear pattern is strictly on the low part of the face. I tee it up at most 1/4" just so it does not sit down on turf and feel comfortable off the turf in that same aspect. Not saying I am hitting this thing off rough or questionable lies just like any other 3w I used prior. 

This all sounds like a take from one that has not gamed one extensively and a view from afar.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Glock917 said:

Surprisingly this club is very hot on low strikes and I would almost say the sweet spot is on the lower equator of the face. I gamed mine for a year now and my wear pattern is strictly on the low part of the face. I tee it up at most 1/4" just so it does not sit down on turf and feel comfortable off the turf in that same aspect. Not saying I am hitting this thing off rough or questionable lies just like any other 3w I used prior. 

This all sounds like a take from one that has not gamed one extensively and a view from afar.

Definitely haven't gamed one extensively but have tried multiple. Don't really see much merit in it imo but different strokes for different folks

If I had a minimalist bag, I could see a mini driver I could hit off the deck to be useful. Other than that, it's just talk every few years or so.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow