Golfing is getting pretty expensive these days

1 hour ago, GolfnGatorNC said:

And I thought this was a forum about golf…

Good time for me to pivot and talk about the decent nine hole course in town that one can walk for $15. 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A bag off the beaten path:

Driver: Turner H7 at 12 degrees, 43.5"

3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used)

3UI: Adams Pro DHy

4UI: Turner 239

Irons: (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges: (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: old Nitro putter with a DIY Blackburn Rovers paintjob

In the bullpen:  3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used), Driver: TaylorMade R9 460 10.5 (purchased used)

On 4/20/2024 at 9:07 AM, StoutKing said:

Yep.  I live in SoCal with good weather year round but miss the courses in Michigan.  Easily the purest bent grass putting greens I've played.  Plus it used to have the most public courses in the country so prices were held in check.  Lots of quality courses for under $100.  Need to make a trip back.

There's not a whole lot I miss about growing up in SW Michigan but the number of courses and cost to play was absolutely amazing. Completely took that for granted! I find myself caring less and less about getting out and playing now with where rates have gone and difficulty of booking decent times. In season is absolutely absurd and really the only time I'll play then is if someone else is paying, which I realize is a huge contributing factor to why golf is so expensive here. It would probably cost me less to just buy a boat and take up wake boarding. 

• Like 2

I lived in the Chicago area growing up, but remember going up to see my Grandparents every summer in Metro Detroit.  I would join Gramps for golf rounds at Dearborn Hills (short public course) for $9 to walk 18 holes as long as you were under 17.  Gramps would toss me $1 if I played well (was my motivation to score) and that got me a hot dog and a drink at the turn.  Those were the days!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GolfnGatorNC said:

And I thought this was a forum about golf…

It is but the thread was about the cost to play. I didn’t see anyone mention the actual “why”. Credit where credit is due. 

As I sit here after hitting some balls, sipping a $10 beer and fondly looking at several thousand dollars of gear, all I can say is carry on and play well. 

Are there truly no budget places near some of you, or is this a choice/preference thing?  Our local course is a real RTJ and pretty good and they sell 10 packs for $360 if you walk and 20 packs for $675.  The other courses in town are even cheaper including I think $11 for 9 holes at one of them.  Courses in the towns nearby are similar.  We can pay much more, but you don't HAVE to do play a good course.

Are the city courses really a hundo to play where you live if you walk?

In metro Los Angeles I can tell you the prices are as follows.

LA City/County courses: $39 for weekdays 18 / $55 weekend 18 walk

Other City owned courses in area: $50-$70 for 18 walk

Public privately owned courses: $85 - $155+ walk

The privately owned public courses will be slow and mediocre quality.  The LA City/County courses...will be embarrassingly slow 6-7 hour rounds, with the biggest group of jokers you have ever seen and conditions that would leave a horse track shaking its head. 

58 minutes ago, jda said:

Are there truly no budget places near some of you, or is this a choice/preference thing?  Our local course is a real RTJ and pretty good and they sell 10 packs for $360 if you walk and 20 packs for $675.  The other courses in town are even cheaper including I think $11 for 9 holes at one of them.  Courses in the towns nearby are similar.  We can pay much more, but you don't HAVE to do play a good course.

Which RTJ?

A bag off the beaten path:

Driver: Turner H7 at 12 degrees, 43.5"

3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used)

3UI: Adams Pro DHy

4UI: Turner 239

Irons: (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges: (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: old Nitro putter with a DIY Blackburn Rovers paintjob

In the bullpen:  3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used), Driver: TaylorMade R9 460 10.5 (purchased used)

13 hours ago, jda said:

I think that’s the general consensus for me of this thread and for sure what I’m seeing here locally. The budget courses aren’t budget anymore. There are 4 courses within 25 miles of me. None are designer courses. One is fairly nice. Our local OVC college actually owns it. It’s public. $50 to play whether you walk or take a cart and it’s hard to get unless you get a tee time a week in advance. Two are fairly crappy but playable and are $48 for 18. One is a 9 hole semi private dog track at which I’m a member. Non members pay $48 for 18 here as well whether they take a cart or not. All of the these courses were give or take around $30 before the Covid boom and easy to get on. 

16 hours ago, jda said:

Definitely not around here. Guessing one could drive 90-120 minutes and find an absolute dog track to "play" for around $100 but not worth it IMO. 

Maybe we are really lucky in Colorado.  These are not dog tracks.  Some of the city courses are hosting US Open qualifiers and do many other qualifiers are like $68 on the weekends and take GolfNow and other 2 for 1 coupons during the week.  These are nice golf courses.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

There are cheap courses near the intersection of Connecticut, New York, and Massachusetts.

https://undermountaingolf.com/rates-specials/

$30 for 18 holes with a cart. Special Spring rate!

Two hours from Central Connecticut but one could pair it with another destination for a touristy day trip.

A cheap way to vacation without the expense of air fare and a hotel room.

Lots of places to visit around that area.

https://oldrhinebeck.org/

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome is in that area.

It is possible to play golf in gorgeous weather inexpensively in New England!

Off season at places that rely on tourism.

Edited by ShortGolfer

I'd consider myself and other fellow golfers here in Long Island as very lucky as I only have to pay the twilight weekday rate of $44 at Bethpage State Park's Black course. 

Compared to other well-known public courses like Sawgrass and Pebble Beach that charge more than $500, the Black is a steal. 

• Like 4

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

In St. Louis area, many of the non-private clubs use dynamic pricing model, tied into scheduling software. If heavy play and/or extra scrambles gobble up tee times, the price is higher than normal. If demand is shaking out as slack for a week, the price is lower.

Here's a week of pricing for my home course Stonewolf Golf Club, a semi-private:

image.png.74abce1c449b663bdd14334eb670729b.png

Monday and Tuesday are most benevolent. Friday through Sunday are most costly.

Senior rates are a good deal, but you need to know afternoon league scheduling with can eat up all the post-3 PM slots.

One option is to buy up some Foursome + Lunch slots, which get floated at Christmas and in early spring. You can get four rounds + cart + lunch for $124. You can share with friends, or use on different days yourself. Limitation: Can only be used on Monday thru Wednesday.

And, here is a sampling of high and low prices for other courses in our area.

image.png.eb6b5928928bbe53766bf654b45dffcb.png

Quail Creek is a county parks course and Grand Marias is an Illinois state park course; both are leased out to contractors, so price is lower to encourage public golf.

And, Grand Marias offers a nine-hole option amid its pricing. Everyone else charges assuming you will play 18.

Bogey Hills CC is an actual private-equity course. On a couple of Mondays each summer, Bogey offers a preview day in which non-members can play the course for $85. It's part of Bogey's perpetual membership drive. 

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Already posted…chiming in again….lots of things are “expensive”.  Play, or don’t play, buy or don’t buy, book a flight or not.  

Pretty sure no one on their deathbed has said,

“my life has been full, glad I didn’t pay “that” price”

….10,20,30 years ago.  

• Confused 1

Given the demand to play golf, which seems to be pretty high all over the world, it comes down to individual priorities - how important is it to you to be able to golf vs. the cost, and that is just a luxury problem IMHO.

For me , from a per round/membership cost - compared to the US, here in Norway I think it's pretty reasonable. I pay approx $750 equivalent annually for unlimited play at my designated club. Greenfees at other clubs vary between $55 - $100 depending on the course, conditions, demand etc. Getting tee times is not difficult - everything booked on-line on a first come first serve basis, and only allowed to book a week in advance for members and 3 days in advance for non-members.

The caveat is in how short the seasons are but I still think it's reasonably priced given that it is golf. Don't forget - I have the evening light from now until mid August where I could get a quick 9 in teeing it off at 8-9 pm. I would not expect it to be any cheaper than it is as there has to be a balance between quality vs. access/availability. However, even though I love playing golf, there is a tipping point where I will cut down/quit if it doesn't seem to be worth what I'm spending, but for now, it is so stress and hassle free playing that it's worth the cost.

So is it getting more expensive - I guess it's all relative compared to what are the alternatives and what you can afford isn't it? I ride MTB's, started playing competitive table tennis, and try to play as much tennis as I can in the winter, and yes, golf is more expensive than those hobbies on an annual basis - this is taking into account all expenses like equipment, memberships, booking courts, maintaining my bike, buying gear etc. But it is still affordable for me.

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver Kai'li Blue S

Callaway Mini Bertha 1.5 Kuro Kage S

TaylorMade Gapr Mid 3 KBS S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide

the goal of a course is to have one less tee time available than demand, like any product.

the costs of fertilizer, chemicals, seed (if it’s overseeded) have skyrocketed.

golf demand is about the same as it has always been, about 8% of population. the fanciful idea that demand is booming, or will boom, was/is irrational exuberance. 😉

over 1,000 course closures in the past 15 years, more since 2000, tell us all we need to know.

are greens fees ever going to go down? only in an alternate universe.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

On 5/7/2024 at 10:15 AM, Soloman1 said:

the goal of a course is to have one less tee time available than demand, like any product.

the costs of fertilizer, chemicals, seed (if it’s overseeded) have skyrocketed.

golf demand is about the same as it has always been, about 8% of population. the fanciful idea that demand is booming, or will boom, was/is irrational exuberance. 😉

over 1,000 course closures in the past 15 years, more since 2000, tell us all we need to know.

are greens fees ever going to go down? only in an alternate universe.

I have no idea where you’re located but I can assure you that where I’m located and where most others are located the boom is very real. Consider yourself lucky if you’re not experiencing it. There has been one course closure in the last 15 years within 30 miles driving distance of me and that was 10+ years ago. And the courses we have are MUCH busier than 2-3 years ago. I don’t have hard data to back that up but my Monday morning phone calls to book a tee time the following Saturday and hearing sorry all we have left is this or that tee time or none at all when you used to be able to walk on or book a time easily a day or two in advance is pretty evident. 

• Like 1

Thankfully most of the courses in my local area are reasonably priced; well, at least the general city/county/public state park courses.  Like all have said, everything has gone up in price, so if we want to include golf into our life, we'll have to make adjustments and/or cuts elsewhere.  Maybe eat out a couple times less per month?

Driver--Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ProjectX Cypher Black

3 Hybrid Adams Idea Super LS 19* w/KuroKage

4 Hybrid Callaway Rogue ST Max 24*  w/ProjectX Cypher Black

6 Hybrid Adams A12 OS  28* w/Graffoloy ProLaunch Blue

Irons 7-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

If one is willing to drive and play a bad layout, you can find 18 holes for ~$35 walking on the weekends. 

Anything with a decent layout close to town, and you are looking at $60+ for a weekend morning at any muni around here - walking or not.

I do believe that the golf courses may be the only government entity making money.  

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I don't care how much golf is nowadays.  I don't mind it, because People who maintain these beautiful courses around here need to get paid too. They are most likely struggling with the inflation.  what I don't like, which is due to inflation I'm sure, is how crowded twilight golf has become.  

There are 10 public golf courses within a 20 mile radius, 14 within 25 miles, and 17 courses all together if I include private courses from my house. One day I drove to 3 places after work and all were fully booked.  Back in the day, we can play before 5pm and get 18 holes or more when the sun sets past 8pm or close to 9.  The other day I only got 5 holes and left.

• 2 weeks later...

I reside in San Antonio, TX and prices on courses around the 30 mile radius have increased at least 50-60%. Traffic, for what I noticed, is about the same or less. Everyone wonders what is the driving factor since you do not see any improvements around the courses.  I know everything has gone up with our economy this days but still cannot put a contributing factor to rates increases at the courses.

2 hours ago, MiguelR said:

I reside in San Antonio, TX and prices on courses around the 30 mile radius have increased at least 50-60%. Traffic, for what I noticed, is about the same or less. Everyone wonders what is the driving factor since you do not see any improvements around the courses.  I know everything has gone up with our economy this days but still cannot put a contributing factor to rates increases at the courses.

the market could bear the increase. Prices and costs don’t have to be related except when the owner isn’t making enough and decide to exit the business.  But yes, costs for everything have gone up. 

6 hours ago, MiguelR said:

Seriously? You just wrote that everything has gone up. Why would the cost of running a golf course be immune to inflation? 

15 hours ago, Nickb333 said:

Seriously? You just wrote that everything has gone up. Why would the cost of running a golf course be immune to inflation? 

He says he has not seen the improvements in courses.  When I buy a big mac that's 2x the price it used to be 10 years ago, I at least have the satisfaction that today's big mac tastes twice as good as it used to.

/sarcasm

1 minute ago, LBB said:

He says he has not seen the improvements in courses.  When I buy a big mac that's 2x the price it used to be 10 years ago, I at least have the satisfaction that today's big mac tastes twice as good as it used to.

/sarcasm

It's that more specialer sauce! 

Sadly seen a massive price increase over the years where I live in western Canada, most courses are now charging $120 plus $25 for a cart if you don't want to walk.  The city owned courses have remained reasonably priced, however, they're not the best courses and it's also very challenging to get a tee time.  I unfortunately don't see this changing anytime soon.

Titleist 910D2 9.5° | UST Mamiya Proforce V2 Black 66g

Titleist 910F 15° | UST Mamiya Proforce V2 Black 76g

Adams DHY 21° | Matrix Altus HX3 White Tie 82g

Cleveland CG16 | DG Traction

Cleveland RTX6 52°/56°/60° | DG Spinner

TaylorMade X-Rossa TM200