Golfing is getting pretty expensive these days

It's not surprising with all this inflation, but it would be nice if courses had some tee times that were closer to the old rates, even if it's a limited number of times during the middle of the week.  That would at least give some people a chance to pay a decent price.  One of the local courses I play no longer has a super twilight price.  Twilight starts at 2pm or so and the price doesn't change for the rest of the day.  As one poster mentioned, it's better for a course to sell a lesser number of tee times at a higher price.

Posted (edited)

Sounds kinda silly but buying a simulator is actually saving me money in the long run. Obviously not paying for range balls is a big one, but I also used to get 2-3 twilight rounds at the local muni per week. I always considered these "practice" rounds where I was mostly there to just work on my game.

But now with a simulator, those practice rounds are pretty much gone. After work I'll just play a course on GSPro in the sim. Saves ~$30-50 each time. On the weekends I will still get out and play a nice course and I'm really trying to put together a score and enjoy the day. Real golf is still way better than sim golf, but those practice rounds are actually more beneficial in a sim anyway.

So the math on the low end is 2 rounds a week that would cost $30 ends up being $2,880 for the year. Doing that for a couple years pays for the sim, and the rest is savings.

Plus all the bonuses like getting friends to come to the sim is much easier than getting them to the course, no commute time, lost balls, gas money, overpriced food/drinks at the course....etc. So big upfront cost, but solid investment and helluva time.

Edited by Blaiser

If you have the freedom to play whenever, and walk - you can play in my neck of the woods for $35. 

It remains a steal. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I'm pretty lucky that there are a lot of golf courses with a lot of varying price points. I live about 5 minutes from the local public course that's in the running for biggest dog track, but I think it's not unplayable. Then my home course is pretty affordable for a membership, and thankfully family helps. My course hasn't raised their rates, but they did do away with twilight rates. Some of the courses nearby have raised their rates but not astronomically. I also can travel a little bit and find some very good value courses. They may not be the most amazing, but if it's a golf course, I'll like it.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Golf pricing here in Hoosier Land has been interesting. In Indy and around greater Indy the higher end public courses have basically doubled rates since 2019. The the munis have gone up 50% I'd say, and the courses in towns farther out haven't seen much in an increase in price at all. I live in Greenwood, and my folks live in Muncie area (one of the poorest counties in Indiana). Muncie prices are almost the same and a few courses are actually cheaper than 5 years ago. Conditions are mediocre, but for $25-$30 with a cart I wouldn't expect much more. 

I play mid tier courses around Indy mostly that range around $45-65 on the weekends. The are generally in pretty good shape but busy.  

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Golf in upstate NY has increased in price but still a value compared to many other US regions.  I know all courses around me are getting a lot more play than pre-pandemic. It goes back to the classic supply/demand pricing curve and despite rising prices the golfers keep coming.  I also know Fertilizer has gone up significantly as a result of the Ukraine war.  

• Like 1

I've been maintaining a golf trip file for about a decade with prices from years ago that we either paid for a trip or proposals I put together for my group.  I see a couple interesting price comparisons that IMO really speak to the power of Instagram and golf influencers.  

Trip 1

August 2017 price to play Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, Talamore & 1 night lodging = $279/person

August 2024 price to play 1 round at Tobacco Road = $198/person

Trip 2

August 2014 Perfect Foursome (Greywalls, Sweetgrass x2, Timberstone & 2 nights lodging = $342/person

August 2024 Perfect Foursome (Greywalls, Sweetgrass x2, Timberstone & 2 nights lodging = $422/person

Dormie now being private makes it hard to pull a full 2024 package for Trip 1 package price together, but TR alone being 2x the price from 7 years ago while the other package grew at about a 2% inflation rate is interesting.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

Posted (edited)

Green fees here in SoCal have have gotten ridiculously expensive.  I've seen increases as high as 25 bucks.  Los Serranos which has two exceptional layouts that has hosted qualifers for high profile AM tournaments and what not has gone from 75 on weekends up to 99 bucks.  As a result, there's been a drop off of golfers.  Going from 50 to all the sudden 70 bucks for the mid tier courses has some either only going to the range now or quitting altogether.  It's sad because my buddy who works the USGA says they're trying to make the game more inclusive, but how do you that when the courses are jacking up the prices and turning people off?  This isn't just the public courses either, private CCs monthly dues are increasing as well.  On another note I played Woodley Lakes which is a muni the other day and greens fees have gone done.  It's now 40 including cart after 12.  Used to be 50, however, I think they noticed a sharp drop off recently and have gone the other way as a result.  It's an hour drive from me but I think I'll be visiting that area more often, lol. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 4/19/2024 at 7:07 PM, Neo1 said:

Goose is a nice track but definitely not worth $100<, I live in the LA area and see so many OC golfers come out here and play to avoid paying $150-$200 green fees....on the weekdays 

Love Goose Creek as it's layout is very unique and tough.  I agree that it's not worth over a bill.  I live in West Covina so the ridiculous green fees in the OC(minus Willowick and River View) has me mostly playing LA, Riverside and Ventura county courses these days.  Oak Creek is now over 200 and Pelican is over 400 on weekends, yuck.   

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 5/29/2024 at 5:59 AM, I&#x27;_rather_be_golfing said:

and will be buying the Phoenix city golf pass next. 

wait until you find out that the new city pass is not the old city pass. courses now limiting the number of passes accepted daily.

city course reservations are now filled by bots, then sold for premiums. sure, you can sit up until midnight with your finger on the enter key, but you ain’t gettin’ no tee time. bots get them in milliseconds before you can hit the key.

one thing you count in is everything gets worse. nothing gets better.

• Like 3

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Northern NJ golf is expensive here too. county courses went up $10/rd. other public courses are $5-30/rd more expensive than last year. i usually walk but was told most places are raising cart prices as well. it's not a cheap sport -- not to mention $55/dz premium golf balls, putters over $400, drivers over $600 and Cart girls OF pages.  it's just crazy. 

• Haha 3

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

wait until you find out that the new city pass is not the old city pass. courses now limiting the number of passes accepted daily.

city course reservations are now filled by bots, then sold for premiums. sure, you can sit up until midnight with your finger on the enter key, but you ain’t gettin’ no tee time. bots get them in milliseconds before you can hit the key.

one thing you count in is everything gets worse. nothing gets better.

I get what you are saying. I guess I'm lucky that I don't have to experience that like others do. And I'm truly sorry for others that have to.  I also get about the "new city pass" is not the "old city pass". Charge the same or even more for a lot less. And its only gonna get far more worst. I bought this years Utah PGA pass and it offers less then last year. And as the years gone by. It started to offer less and less. But those city passes and walking are the only option I see now. 

• Like 1

I stopped playing golf in 2018 so I could help pay for my daughters college and pump more money into my retirement account.  When I retired in 2022, I got a part time job as a starter/marshal at a nearby course in the Palm Springs area.  It’s worked out well because rounds are now over $100 during the season from November thru March, and that’s at the lower tier courses.  I work about 15 hours a week during the season and 5 hours a week in the summer for minimum wage and free golf.  Best job I’ve ever had!

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max driver & fairway woods
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini 

Srixon Q Star Tour

On 5/29/2024 at 8:14 AM, wombat_vortex said:

It's not surprising with all this inflation, but it would be nice if courses had some tee times that were closer to the old rates, even if it's a limited number of times during the middle of the week.  That would at least give some people a chance to pay a decent price.  One of the local courses I play no longer has a super twilight price.  Twilight starts at 2pm or so and the price doesn't change for the rest of the day.  As one poster mentioned, it's better for a course to sell a lesser number of tee times at a higher price.

Kind of like how some restaurants are open for lunch from 10 AM to 2 PM, close from 2 PM to 5 PM, then open back for dinner from 5 PM to 10 PM.  Rather than staying open from 2 PM to 5 PM and offering food at half price while the workers still make their normal wage.

Not sure if this has been posted, but it seems relevant.

https://golf.com/travel/public-golf-more-expensive/

2017 Taylormade M2 (9.5 set to 9.0) Golf Pride Tour Wrap Midsize with 1 extra layer of tape on a Kuro Kage Silver Series 60 S

Ping i15 3 wood (15.5)

Ping i15 3 hybrid (20)

Ping i15 4 hybrid (23)

Mizuno MP-30 irons 4-PW 1150 tour s

Titleist Vokey Oil Can 52, 56

Wilson South Side 34"

2 hours ago, LBB said:

Kind of like how some restaurants are open for lunch from 10 AM to 2 PM, close from 2 PM to 5 PM, then open back for dinner from 5 PM to 10 PM.  Rather than staying open from 2 PM to 5 PM and offering food at half price while the workers still make their normal wage.

not a very good analogy. restaurant staff show up early to prepare for lunch, then have to prepare for dinner. then have to clean up after closing.

they don’t whip up a big slop in a bucket and spoon it out, so there isn’t food left. there just aren’t enough customers 2-5 to justify interrupting prep time, especially at 1/2 price! 😉

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

No politics here, but this is capitalism.  The golf courses are not a not for profit.  Golf Courses are in business to make money(exception being private equity clubs, where the members basically own or run the club).

If your goal as a DoG is to make money, which we have covered, is their goal, they want to maximize profits.  So as many on here have said it is better for your bottom line if you have 150 golfers at 200 vs 200 at 150 dollars.  You have less golfers hitting your possibly free golf balls to warm up, less carts that have to be recharged, or less charges on the carts you have, less wear and tear on the course and carts you are making way more money off of the same amount of revenue.

Inflation obviously affects costs especially currently. However, during Covid when gas was cheap, and so were most if not all of the materials needed to run a course and golf courses were raising costs.  Private courses increasing initiation, monthly dues, semi private raising initiation and monthly, and per round costs, and finally public courses raising their rates.  When there is more demand and less supply the costs go up.  When there is more supply and less demand costs go down.  Oil is the easiest way to see capitalism, I do a lot of work in oil pricing and futures and the like so I absolutely see it pretty much daily. 

Golf manufacturers will eventually get to this point.  When their products sit on the shelves for too long and they have to discount for their distributors, they will start making less of them and layoff, because they will be making less money. They cannot make less and charge even more because they see the higher prices aren't selling. They will make a little more and charge less to get interest back.  Callaway has Top Golf to bail them out, but last I heard they are splitting Top Golf off and golf clubs/balls/soft goods will have to stand on their own.  

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4-iron Ping Blueprint S - Ventus Blue 90 Hybrid X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One