2024 Barracuda Championship WITB & Equipment Photos ×

PGA Tour TV Ratings Show Sick Patient

bajadock

5 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

The Champions Tour is awesome. Sure the guys might be washed up and we’ll past their prime, but watching known names from years past is more fun than watching no name journeyman players. 

My other hot take about the Champions Tour is that attending their events is also a bit more fun than TOUR events.  Crowds are smaller, the players are more laid back, and it just makes for a more entertaining atmosphere.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NormanFan said:

My other hot take about the Champions Tour is that attending their events is also a bit more fun than TOUR events.  Crowds are smaller, the players are more laid back, and it just makes for a more entertaining atmosphere.

Older guys are more relaxed as well & interact with crowd 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MaineMariner said:

Ratings for the Wells Fargo up a tidy 34% from 2023. 2.778 million viewers, up from 2.073 in 2023, and peaking at 3.830 million.

https://x.com/JoshACarpenter/status/1790401854314029538

Thanks for the Sunday numbers as I had not seen them.  See below for Thurs-Saturday.  There are currently 3 golfers that move the needle: Tiger, Rory and Spieth.

Thursday - Averaged 318,000 on Golf Channel — down from 355,000 last year.

Friday - Averaged 473,000 on Golf Channel — up from 416,000 last year

Saturday - Averaged 1.0 rating and 1.66 million viewers for third round coverage from Charlotte on CBS, up 28% and 30% respectively from last year’s 0.8 and 1.28 million.

• Like 2

In the last three years I have definately changed my "consumption". I feel like I watch more golf but in a more distracted fashion. I watch less PGA Tour and more Champions Tour, Liv and LPGA. 

For me as an international viewer it helps that some of my "name players" people I grew up watching and my countrymen and woman are broadcast more on those tours so my interest is a bit higher. That said, I will watch a good story ie Mcilroy vs Xander got so good airtime out of me. I tend to watch Liv events fully cause they are quick and like to catch up on Nelly demolishing the fields of watching Charlie Hull play. If I am just watching and there is PGA Tour vs Champions most of the time I am on Champions then switching back / tracking the PGA Tour. 

Think viewership is somewhat a case of people tired of the fighting, but also, PGA Tour lacks a Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus or a Tiger Woods. Tiger Woods fundamentally changed viewership when he came along. PGA Tour needs a new marketable, needle moving, crowd pumping star more than it needs a new format IMHO. Scottie is an AMAZING player and on a great run... but white bread is more intriguing then his presence and story (for me)... really like him, but I am not a fierce, passionate supporter of his (dont think I am alone)

I can also agree that consumption is changing and people dont have 4-8 hours to consume a days golf any longer and I think your fighting societal shifts in there as well. 

Will be interesting to see how everything settles... 

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

During the Tiger era I rarely missed a Sunday round when Tiger or Phil were on the first page of the leaderboard.  During that era there were a number of entertaining star players to watch as well.  There were at least a dozen stars to draw eyeballs to the television screen.  Those days are over.   I rarely tune in to the PGA Tour anymore.  Other than The Masters I've watched no more than an hour combined of golf coverage this year.  I pretty much never turn on The Golf Channel which used to be the first thing I'd turn on on the television in the morning and in the evening.

8 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Think viewership is somewhat a case of people tired of the fighting, but also, PGA Tour lacks a Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus or a Tiger Woods. Tiger Woods fundamentally changed viewership when he came along. PGA Tour needs a new marketable, needle moving, crowd pumping star more than it needs a new format IMHO. Scottie is an AMAZING player and on a great run... but white bread is more intriguing then his presence and story (for me)... really like him, but I am not a fierce, passionate supporter of his (dont think I am alone)

I get Arnie and Tiger but Jack wasn't a natural or charismatic star. He became a star through success. There are a lot of similarities between Jack and Scottie. Not that Scottie will ever get to that level but both were simply boring guys who cared deeply about their families and just so happened to be soul killing golfing machines.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

are we streamed, podcasted, youtubed, broadcasted, x’d, instagramed, wrxed, tmz’d out?

how much more can we take before we barf?

Such an underrated characteristic of the current environment. Are you really jonesing to flip on CBS on Sat or Sun when you've been scrolling youtube videos all week, listening to podcasts in the car or at the gym, and watching featured group coverage Thu/Fri on ESPN+ while procrastinating at work?   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You guys do know that both golf participation and golf TV viewership is massively bigger than it was when Arnie and Jack were roaming the fairways, right?  Every single metric by which you would rate the success of the PGA Tour is light years better than those days.  How does the current PGA Tour suck by comparison?

I’d like to recommend a book some of you may find enlightening about the romanticization of bygone eras…“The Good Old Days - They Were Terrible”, by Otto Bettman…

Edited by Archimedes65
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Such an underrated characteristic of the current environment. Are you really jonesing to flip on CBS on Sat or Sun when you've been scrolling youtube videos all week, listening to podcasts in the car or at the gym, and watching featured group coverage Thu/Fri on ESPN+ while procrastinating at work?   

But yet 34% more people did just that this year vs last.

I’m watching more golf than ever before, pga and lpga. I watch on network tv and always tape delay. There’s certainly a problem with spot counts. 
There was a discussion quite some time ago on “hungry” players. Purses now are unimaginable by the average viewer. 
I want players to be “drive your car all night” “sleep in the car” hungry. Cantlay taking 1/2 hour to play at shot at Harbor Town did it for me. No hunger there. 
Granted Tiger and Rory are paid well, but there’s a desire that you can feel as a viewer. Scheffler is still hungry. Sorry Xander folded like a cheap suit in his last tourney. Is he really that hungry. Spieth? JT?  Have you seen their houses? Hungry .. I think not. 

Another thing is micing players. Put them on a delay, and mic them all. Take some tips from Netflix. 
The single one thing that we all can agree on are the commercial breaks. Surely somebody can solve this. Hockey solved it. Tennis did too. F1 has found it. LIV can only do it because they don’t have eyeballs. 

1 hour ago, Archimedes65 said:

But yet 34% more people did just that this year vs last.

Dude, I'm a PGAT fan and watch quite a bit but that is about as cherry picked as a stat can be. Ratings are generally down. Even the freaking Masters was down despite a pretty awesome leaderboard going into Sunday. The Zurich was up and Quail Hollow was up. I think that says more about Rory than it does the PGAT.  

1 hour ago, Dutch1008 said:

Dude, I'm a PGAT fan and watch quite a bit but that is about as cherry picked as a stat can be. Ratings are generally down. Even the freaking Masters was down despite a pretty awesome leaderboard going into Sunday. The Zurich was up and Quail Hollow was up. I think that says more about Rory than it does the PGAT.  

Isn’t Rory part of the PGA Tour?  And you do realize that we’re only about 1/3rd of the way through the season, right?  Golf viewership spiked post Covid, due to all the new fans, but Tiger’s accident and the LIV thing was bound to have some impact.  The fact that Tiger is not really a big threat anymore is probably a much bigger impact than the fact that Talor Gooch is playing overseas most weekends.   The sky is not falling on the PGA Tour.  Outside of the NFL, The Masters is still one of the top 10-15 sporting events each year in terms of ratings, which is not bad for a ‘fractured sport’ in, realistically, the post Tiger era.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Archimedes65 said:

Isn’t Rory part of the PGA Tour?  And you do realize that we’re only about 1/3rd of the way through the season, right?  Golf viewership spiked post Covid, due to all the new fans, but Tiger’s accident and the LIV thing was bound to have some impact.  The fact that Tiger is not really a big threat anymore is probably a much bigger impact than the fact that Talor Gooch is playing overseas most weekends.   The sky is not falling on the PGA Tour.  Outside of the NFL, The Masters is still one of the top 10-15 sporting events each year in terms of ratings, which is not bad for a ‘fractured sport’ in, realistically, the post Tiger era.

First, I'm on your side here. Not a LIV fan and think Gooch is an imbecile who proves it every time he opens his mouth. I enjoy the PGAT and watch a bunch of the PGAT, but I don't believe in blind tribalism. You sound like a bizzarro LIV bot. Only instead of talking about how cool LIV is and how brilliant Phil's played his cards, you're saying the tour is stronger than ever and can do no wrong. Sorry man, but I just don't see it. 

The tours ratings are down year over year. A couple Rory Sunday spikes don't change the trend

The tour has lost multiple long time sponsors (Honda, Farmers, Wells Fargo, RBC is reportedly on the fence) and others seem frustrated about the elevated purses

There is disagreement amongst the players on how to deal w/ the PIF

There is disagreement between the best players and the back end of the tour

Even though LIV is lame, they inarguably have a handful of the best players on the planet

The general consensus on the best player alive is that he's as exciting as warm milk

The 2nd best player alive hasn't won a major in 10 years

Nobody cares about the FedEx Cup and most people on this site and generally online, want the PGA moved back to August to have a proper end of the season

They have a commissioner who no one trust to speak to the public outside of one prepared speech each year 

The tour doesn't own any of the 5 biggest events in its sport (Majors + Ryder Cup) 

I'm not saying that all hope is lost. Golf is booming. The SSG investment is a big deal. There are more ways to watch golf now than ever, even if NBC seems to have regressed. There is young talent to be excited about and outside of Adelaide, LIV just looks worse and worse. 

The PGAT isn't in a bad spot, but there are problems to address, old fans to re-engage, new golfers to convert, venues to improve, scheduling to clarify, new sponsors to lock up, on and on and on. 

Edited by Dutch1008
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

First, I'm on your side here. Not a LIV fan and think Gooch is an imbecile who proves it every time he opens his mouth. I enjoy the PGAT and watch a bunch of the PGAT, but I don't believe in blind tribalism. You sound like a bizzarro LIV bot. Only instead of talking about how cool LIV is and how brilliant Phil's played his cards, you're saying the tour is stronger than ever and can do no wrong. Sorry man, but I just don't see it. 

The tours ratings are down year over year. A couple Rory Sunday spikes don't change the trend

The tour has lost multiple long time sponsors (Honda, Farmers, Wells Fargo, RBC is reportedly on the fence) and others seem frustrated about the elevated purses

There is disagreement amongst the players on how to deal w/ the PIF

There is disagreement between the best players and the back end of the tour

Even though LIV is lame, they inarguably have a handful of the best players on the planet

The general consensus on the best player alive is that he's as exciting as warm milk

The 2nd best player alive hasn't won a major in 10 years

Nobody cares about the FedEx Cup and most people on this site and generally online, want the PGA moved back to August to have a proper end of the season

They have a commissioner who know one trust to speak to the public outside of one prepared speech each year 

The tour doesn't own any of the 5 biggest events in its sport (Majors + Ryder Cup) 

I'm not saying that all hope is lost. Golf is booming. The SSG investment is a big deal. There are more ways to watch golf now than ever, even if NBC seems to have regressed. There is young talent to be excited about and outside of Adelaide, LIV just looks worse and worse. 

The PGAT isn't in a bad spot, but there are problems to address, old fans to re-engage, new golfers to convert, venues to improve, scheduling to clarify, new sponsors to lock up, on and on and on. 

LIV took, with the exception of Rory, the most dynamic, interesting, and highest performing players from the tour

Its surprising the ratings aren’t worse!

And an indictment of how bad LIV is that their ratings are as bad as they are. 

We can only hope that PIF is content to take a stake in the tour, be happy sticking Aramcos name of a few events with all the top players, leaving LIV to play primarily overseas (and agreed to not paying a huge sign ons) so American players will stay on the pga tour and get it back to a semblance of what it was. 

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure ratings will be down for the PGA Championship this week too.  Mainly because, ESPN+ and ESPN are $$$. They’re the only access for the first two days.  I got tired of hunting for who’s got the show now and let them all lapse.

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS driver

Srixon ZX 3 & 7 fairway woods

Srixon ZX 4 hybrid

Epon AF-302 irons 5-PW

Fourteen DJ-5 50*/54*/58* wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

Sun Mountain mid-stripe stand bag

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

7 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

I’m pretty sure ratings will be down for the PGA Championship this week too.  Mainly because, ESPN+ and ESPN are $$$. They’re the only access for the first two days.  I got tired of hunting for who’s got the show now and let them all lapse.

Th/Fr has always required $$ to watch.

On 5/16/2024 at 1:11 PM, SnowbirdTom said:

ESPN is in the most basic cable packages, i don't think that's the issue.

Liv is the issue, and their removal of so many key stars.  Like them or not, and I don't care if you do, pretending their existence has not dramatically changed the ratings on the pgat is silly.   The pgat product has suffered immensely.

13 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

ESPN is in the most basic cable packages, i don't think that's the issue.

Liv is the issue, and their removal of so many key stars.  Like them or not, and I don't care if you do, pretending their existence has not dramatically changed the ratings on the pgat is silly.   The pgat product has suffered immensely.

I've yet to encounter anyone who has stopped watching PGAT golf because any particular player either retired, lost form, or went to another tour.

• Like 3

I stopped watching because as someone without cable service and only streaming services, it’s too difficult to watch. There’s not one service you can subscribe to be able to watch any given tournament. I have tried PGA Tour app and if I remember correctly, you don’t even get to see the leaders because the TV stations have exclusive rights. I subbed to ESPN+ last year only to find half the content was only available on ESPN which you can only get with a cable sub. Most of the regular tournaments can be watched on Peacock but majors you can only watch the weekend with Paramount. 

I loved the Masters app where I could watch any group of players or group of holes. I actually look forward to watching LIV events because of the easy, subscription-free streaming and the ability to follow groups through the app. 

I can’t help but feel like PGA is way behind on utilizing streaming technology to allow a more customized experience using a single app to view all the tournaments. 

2 hours ago, Sp4zRX said:

I stopped watching because as someone without cable service and only streaming services, it’s too difficult to watch. There’s not one service you can subscribe to be able to watch any given tournament. I have tried PGA Tour app and if I remember correctly, you don’t even get to see the leaders because the TV stations have exclusive rights. I subbed to ESPN+ last year only to find half the content was only available on ESPN which you can only get with a cable sub. Most of the regular tournaments can be watched on Peacock but majors you can only watch the weekend with Paramount. 

I loved the Masters app where I could watch any group of players or group of holes. I actually look forward to watching LIV events because of the easy, subscription-free streaming and the ability to follow groups through the app. 

I can’t help but feel like PGA is way behind on utilizing streaming technology to allow a more customized experience using a single app to view all the tournaments. 

Bundling is on the way for sports fans! 🤣

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2024/05/venu-sports-introduced-as-name-for-forthcoming-sports-streaming-service/

3 hours ago, jdl said:

Sounds great but I’m sure it will come at a premium. I considered FuboSports app until I saw the price. Fubo is like $100/month. I’m sure Venu won’t be much different. That’s fine for huge sports fans but golf is the only sports I watch so I don’t think it will be worth it. I’d be willing to pay $10-$20/month for an all inclusive PGA app that has all the tournaments and player standings & stats. 

On 5/15/2024 at 3:10 PM, Archimedes65 said:

You guys do know that both golf participation and golf TV viewership is massively bigger than it was when Arnie and Jack were roaming the fairways, right?

Hasn't the population basically doubled since then? It stands to reason more people are watching and playing.