2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

PGA Tour TV Ratings Show Sick Patient

bajadock

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Sp4zRX said:

Sounds great but I’m sure it will come at a premium. I considered FuboSports app until I saw the price. Fubo is like $100/month. I’m sure Venu won’t be much different. That’s fine for huge sports fans but golf is the only sports I watch so I don’t think it will be worth it. I’d be willing to pay $10-$20/month for an all inclusive PGA app that has all the tournaments and player standings & stats. 

I too would pay well under market value for a product! Don't think we'll have one product for golf given the current media contracts.

Fubo is not $100. I use YouTubeTV and it's only $72

One solution is to get ESPN+ for $10/month and then find one of the annual deals for Peacock. You can get it for around $30/year on those. That gets you a lot of the stuff that is on Golf Channel. And then good ol' rabbit ears antenna for the weekend coverage on CBS/NBC.

Edited by jdl
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, jdl said:

I too would pay well under market value for a product! Don't think we'll have one product for golf given the current media contracts.

Im not asking for a price below market value. Im saying the ability to watch all the PGA content in one place is only worth $20/month to me. I understand if such a thing were to come to market it would likely cost more and that’s fine but it’s not important enough to me to pay more than that. 

16 minutes ago, jdl said:

Fubo is not $100. I use YouTubeTV and it's only $72

Below is the options screen I get for signup. There is one other option for $32.99 that is Latino channels. 

IMG_3196.jpeg.ff7d5eb7983789f9035c5b5e163da7e4.jpeg

20 minutes ago, jdl said:

One solution is to get ESPN+ for $10/month and then find one of the annual deals for Peacock. You can get it for around $30/year on those. That gets you a lot of the stuff that is on Golf Channel. And then good ol' rabbit ears antenna for the weekend coverage on CBS/NBC.

I have tried one of those window antennas and the reception is not good where I live. I currently just subscribe to Peacock all the time, then just activate my Paramount subscription during the majors and just settle for the weekend coverage. 

2 minutes ago, Sp4zRX said:

Im not asking for a price below market value. Im saying the ability to watch all the PGA content in one place is only worth $20/month to me. I understand if such a thing were to come to market it would likely cost more and that’s fine but it’s not important enough to me to pay more than that. 

Below is the options screen I get for signup. There is one other option for $32.99 that is Latino channels. 

IMG_3196.jpeg.ff7d5eb7983789f9035c5b5e163da7e4.jpeg

Hmm, must depend on location, those prices are all $15 higher than what I see from them.

Oddly apart from LIV all golf in Australia is also on subscription, which you pay for other reasons too across the family. With time zones a final European round here is usually a good watch Sunday evening. Now, it’s like elsewhere with no names contending. Still golf but interest levels are not the same and that has to impact sponsors. Fewer eye balls means less money and the game goes backwards. 
The four majors, for now, are the standout and the last round of the PGA could be good. But IMHO, it’s not enough and golf fractured like we have now is totally unsustainable. Administrators across the game have got this wrong, it’s time to step back, reunify and put on an elite global event series across the year. I wish ….

Driver = Callaway Rogue ST Max w Kai’li White 60S

2H = Srixon ZX MKii w Hzrdus Smoke Red RDX 6.0

3H = Srixon ZX MKii w Hzrdus Smoke Red RDX 6.0
5-PW = XXIO X 12 w N.S. Pro 950GH Neo DST

Wedges = Cobra Snakebite 48 | 52 | 58

Putter = Wilson Staff 8802, 2024 version

Ball = AVX  

On 4/23/2024 at 4:42 AM, chillybilly said:

A Cantlay-related off-course rumor at the most recent Presidents Cup indicates that positive PR may not be first and foremost on his mind at all times. I'll leave it there.

As for TV ratings, the most obvious culprit has already been identified and is now being openly discussed by all. 

But this is a good opportunity to put the boot in regarding one of our preferred targets - the broadcasters. Over time, they have buried the typical Tour event in layers of nonsense. Everything is sponsored. There are cutaways to arcane statistics and factoids. Blimp shots & blimp mentions. Cars 'floating' on water. Points lists and chatter about points lists even if no living soul understands the point system or cares about the outcome. And, perhaps most stilted and ridiculous, the sponsor interview.

Is The SplitTM adversely affecting fan interest? Of course. But have the tacky excesses and ADHD-addled presentation also driven viewers away? Absolutely. The core viewing audience often makes plans NOT to watch live golf, instead relying on DVR/FF to 'edit' the tournament into any sort of coherent sporting narrative.

Stole my mental take and articulated the way I can’t 🙏

Yesterday I admired the Preakness coverage. It was beautiful. NBC does an excellent job with the big races. In a race that lasts under two minutes, NBC carries a very well produced, sport-appreciating telecast of about two hours. Their focus is the cast of characters as it relates TO THE SPORT—not the advertisers. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Oostiesalbacore said:

I find it shocking that there are so many players who think Scottie is boring but hardly anybody who just loves Tyrell Hatton. I find that juxtaposition odd. Would you really like Scottie more if he acted like Rahm or Hatton? Even better question, do you actually enjoy watching Rahm act like a baby? 

An entitled baby.🤣 I'm almost sorry that he missed the cut at Valhalla.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 8:16 PM, Tinkerer said:

Oddly apart from LIV all golf in Australia is also on subscription, which you pay for other reasons too across the family. With time zones a final European round here is usually a good watch Sunday evening. Now, it’s like elsewhere with no names contending. Still golf but interest levels are not the same and that has to impact sponsors. Fewer eye balls means less money and the game goes backwards. 
The four majors, for now, are the standout and the last round of the PGA could be good. But IMHO, it’s not enough and golf fractured like we have now is totally unsustainable. Administrators across the game have got this wrong, it’s time to step back, reunify and put on an elite global event series across the year. I wish ….

I'd be all for an expanded WGC revival as a compromise but the trouble is getting players to commit.  The WGC wanted to make the match play travel but had that 2001 debacle where lots of players refused to go to Australia except Ernie Els.

Edited by NormanFan

58 minutes ago, NormanFan said:

I'd be all for an expanded WGC revival as a compromise but the trouble is getting players to commit.  The WGC wanted to make the match play travel but had that 2001 debacle where lots of players refused to go to Australia except Ernie Els.

I think it's possible but would require a lot of people working together to optimize a schedule and the top 100 players or so committed to playing that schedule. At this point, I think there are too many imbedded interests, to many conflicting agendas, and too many cooks in the kitchen to ever make it work. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

I think it's possible but would require a lot of people working together to optimize a schedule and the top 100 players or so committed to playing that schedule. At this point, I think there are too many imbedded interests, to many conflicting agendas, and too many cooks in the kitchen to ever make it work. 

I agree, yet those cooks have a commitment to the betterment of golf! The needed change and admission of errors can only come from all those board rooms, at current rate of progress clearly the game, its ongoing viability and the fans are not the priority!

Ball = AVX  

3 minutes ago, Tinkerer said:

I agree, yet those cooks have a commitment to the betterment of golf!

You sure about that? Not to paint too broad a brush but SSG is committed to the betterment of golf insomuch as that correlates with the value of their investment. Does Patrick Cantlay care about the journeyman mule or the 14 y/o dreamer or is he simply trying to maximize his earnings today?

I think both Tiger and Rory have made enough money and have enough reverence for Jack and Arnie that they truly care about the long term viability of the PGAT, but I don't think either is completely unselfish.

Jay Monahan's job isn't to be a steward of the game of golf, its to grow the pie and increase the playing opportunities for tour members. Plus, he's probably pretty keen on staying employed and banking 8 figures a year.

The PIF certainly doesn't care, this is a reputation management and economic diversification play for them. You could substitute golf for tennis, soccer, motor sports, etc. They don't actually care about or value the underlying activity.

Liv? Greg? Phil? Their selfish, unquenchable greed got us into this mess.     

I actually think there is a workable solution that fans would enjoy and would ultimately be hugely valuable. But I also think that would require a lot of compromising and I believe their are far too many egos incapable of compromise. 

• Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

I actually think there is a workable solution that fans would enjoy and would ultimately be hugely valuable. But I also think that would require a lot of compromising and I believe there are far too many egos incapable of compromise. 

I’m sure we’re saying the same thing!

There is a reluctance to compromise and that will ultimately harm those game. If tv viewing numbers stay down broadcast rights revenues will reduce, so will sponsorships. That’s two key revenue channels the game cannot cover unless we all pay more to engage with golf. 

The current model is not sustainable and the main suffering will be at grass roots and development level. Add the fact that the big dollars make golf look elitist and you’ll find governments will be less reluctant to support the sport because the optics no longer align. 

Compromise at the various golf controlling body board and executive level is the only way forward, how we got here is now almost irrelevant, the issue is how much more damage do these egos create?

• Like 1

Ball = AVX  

Posted (edited)

If the LIV guys want to come back to the tour, I’ll rent my name out for a princely sum.  Bryson may not be allowed to play, but the crowds sure do enjoy long bombing Oostie and it’s just a coincidence that he looks like Bryson with a fake mustache. 

Edited by Oostiesalbacore
Better joke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2