2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

LAB putter experience

Have been struggling with my putting since being custom fit at Club Champion.  They retro fitted my existing Odyssey 7, and since then I lost all feel for distance.  Then went out and purchased a new Anser, and have fallen in live with the simplicity of a blade.

But one of my mates, who is a LAB evangalist, has been hastling me to play with a LAB putter.  On the weekend I agreed, and played a social round with a LAB DF 2.1.  Despite coming into winter, the greens were pure and slick.

Now clearly I wasn't custome fit, but I went in very open minded, and was hoping it would be a revelation.  

The opposite occurred.  Found it big, cumbersome and lacking feel.  I honestly felt I was using the clown shoes of the putting world.

Good luck to anyone who loves them, but my prediction after the weekend was that LAB putters will remain niche.  A bit like broomsticks.  And that they will not have anywhere near the impact of the Anser in the 60s, or 2-ball in the 90s.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5 - Accra FX 3.0 100 Series 40g M3
Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping s159 52 S/12, 56 S/12 + 60 H/8
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

10 minutes ago, JohnnyHangs said:

Sounds like you just need to work on your stroke 

good luck 

Agree.  And putting has been heaps better with the Anser.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

I'm still working on the Mezz 1 Max.

Thing putts the ball EXACTLY where i point it ... But have zero feel. Most likely user error.

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Gauge G2 Big Dog, 35"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

31 minutes ago, Peninsulagolfer said:

Agree.  And putting has been heaps better with the Anser.

I think blade guys are blade guys, same for mallets. All feel things 

I have a lab df3 and love it, but I was putting well before hand anyway with a few different brands. Lab takes some getting used to, and i think they require the heavier headweight option IMO. DF2.1 is huge and takes getting used to, especially with a 3* press grip on it that comes stock 

Have you tried the LAB link? I think it's great and prob more similar to what you're looking for in a putter. Pings are great regardless, but the no torque thing is great once you get used to the feel 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyHangs said:

I think blade guys are blade guys, same for mallets. All feel things 

I have a lab df3 and love it, but I was putting well before hand anyway with a few different brands. Lab takes some getting used to, and i think they require the heavier headweight option IMO. DF2.1 is huge and takes getting used to, especially with a 3* press grip on it that comes stock 

Have you tried the LAB link? I think it's great and prob more similar to what you're looking for in a putter. Pings are great regardless, but the no torque thing is great once you get used to the feel 

I am very happy with my Anser.  I agreed to play the LAB because of my mate.  He loves them, so I didn't want to rain on his parade.  It was a social round, so I thought it was worth trying.

It isn't for me 🙂

Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

17 minutes ago, tatertot said:

I'm still working on the Mezz 1 Max.

Thing putts the ball EXACTLY where i point it ... But have zero feel. Most likely user error.

I think that was my biggest concern.  There was zero feedback, and I am not sure how you you increase feel without feedback.....

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

14 minutes ago, Peninsulagolfer said:

I am very happy with my Anser.  I agreed to play the LAB because of my mate.  He loves them, so I didn't want to rain on his parade.  It was a social round, so I thought it was worth trying.

It isn't for me 🙂

I understand - I assumed by posting you were welcoming/seeking discourse rather than just posting your opinion 

LAB is a brand, there are numerous different profiles, shafts, specs, swing weights, forward press vs standard grips - Simply saying one short session, with one profile thats not your spec/fit isn't conclusive.

Different strokes for different folks 

• Like 1

I secretly hope my putting falls apart so that I’ll have an excuse to try the df3. I have a mizuno mcraft with a P2 grip that I absolutely love. It’s been so good to me, I may stay with it for decades.

• Like 1

WOODS: 3W: Taylormade M2

IRONS: Mizuno Pro 225 GW-4i ProjectX 6.5,

WEDGES: Vokey SM9 52*,  Mizuno T20 56*, Vokey SM9 60*,

PUTTER: Mizuno M-Craft VI 38"

1 hour ago, JohnnyHangs said:

I understand - I assumed by posting you were welcoming/seeking discourse rather than just posting your opinion 

LAB is a brand, there are numerous different profiles, shafts, specs, swing weights, forward press vs standard grips - Simply saying one short session, with one profile thats not your spec/fit isn't conclusive.

Different strokes for different folks 

Just posting about my experience over the weekend.  I tried, but wasn't for me.  All power to people who like the product and can afford to buy it.

That said, like all equipment, I thought there were some issues that deserve to be called out...

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 2:10 PM, SwingMan said:

LAB has other models, even a blade. Your post is rather worthless... just a slam piece.

I tried a putter.  Didn't like it.  Told it straight.  Why so sensitive....

Edited by Peninsulagolfer
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

1 hour ago, Peninsulagolfer said:

Just posting about my experience over the weekend.  I tried, but wasn't for me.  All power to people who like the product and can afford to buy it.

That said, like all equipment, I thought there were some issues that deserve to be called out...

For sure, but again what you're calling an issue may just be a bad fit - the tech only works properly if its the correct lie angle for your stroke, it seems like you had trouble putting a repeatable stroke on it (the face has no torque, so that doesn't twist unless you move it) so I'm guessing that spec was actually working against you.

All you need to do with a lab is keep the putter on the same plane and the face will remain square - All good though 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyHangs said:

For sure, but again what you're calling an issue may just be a bad fit - the tech only works properly if its the correct lie angle for your stroke, it seems like you had trouble putting a repeatable stroke on it (the face has no torque, so that doesn't twist unless you move it) so I'm guessing that spec was actually working against you.

All you need to do with a lab is keep the putter on the same plane and the face will remain square - All good though 

100%  Not all gear is right for all golfers.  When I was driver fit a few months ago, I hit the G430 and Ai Smoke really well.  But I couldn't hit the Qi10.  It just wasn't for me.  So I dialled in on the G430 and ended up with something I love.  The LAB thing is not for me.

That said, i do think the complete lack of feel/feedback will be a limiting factor for a lot of players...

Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

The beauty of Golf is companies make so many different putters that we all can miss putts with at a high rate. 

Play what you want, but those that admit we suck are always looking to suck less which is why there are $1K+ scotty blades that have no forgiveness, high MOI mallets, the DF2.1 and everything in between.

I admit the DF2.1 is just a bit much for my eye even with my checked ego (been gaming a 2 ball which I once called equally ugly :D)...but the DF3 order will be going in this week. Spent 45m with a stock one just comparing and I liked what I was feeling. 

My gamer is a two ball 10 with a micro-hinge, not the most 'feeling' face out there . DF3 was no worse on my feel-o-meter. DF3 had more feedback than the Mezz to my hands. 

And thats me: no generalizations about the product. I don't expect a ton of feedback from a forgiving club because that is just it: feedback is sound and vibrations and when the ballspeed doesn't drop much on a mishit, it feels pretty similar. Feedback to me is in the rear anyway: I can see what happened. 

If I want feedback, I roll my Anser2 (and I miss more putts over time with it :D)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I got a Mezz Max CB a few months ago, just never got the hang of it.  A friend of mine won a PLD Anser 2 in a raffle, and he only  plays long  putters.  I swapped him putters, plus he gave me $50.  I've been using  long  putters for about 9 months,  but the PLD is gorgeous, and feel is outstanding.  Started rolling it in the house, took it out this weekend.   Now I'm ready  to abandon my long/CB putter experiment. 

Edited by Mike_C
  • Like 1

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

8 hours ago, Peninsulagolfer said:

I tried a putter.  Didn't like it.  Told it straight.  Why so sensitive....

This post wasn't written to start discussion, but instead to tell people something sucks. You tried the worst feeling LAB putter that wasn't even fit for you and decided the line and technology were irrelevant. I think it's reasonable for people to come in and offer opposing viewpoints, but you seem to want to shut them all down because it didn't line up with your taste. I don't have a LAB putter, but I rolled one in my specs and there's no denying that they are easy to get the ball rolling on line. The DF3 and Link both have a nice feel to them.

• Like 4

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° Ventus TR Blue 6

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

The new LAB is intriguing to me. Just messing around with an off the rack putter, I felt more confident over short putts. Makes sense in my head at least as that's where my stroke breaks down and deceleration becomes a concern. The stability seemed to keep me on line much better than anything else. Now anything beyond 8 ft or so, I am usually pretty good about accelerating through the ball and don't need the help as much. Maybe I need to carry 2 putters in the bag...

I guess it depends why OP wrote his post. To let the golfing world know that LAB putters suck and are a fad that will die off, or to drive discussion around that point. To each their own. There's clearly not one putter to rule them all, or everyone on tour would have one.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° Ventus TR Blue 6

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

I have a stock LAB DF3 and I finally got around to seeing the benefits. I am a decent putter(not a lot of 3 putts, just don't make much outside 6 feet) but who doesn't want to be better. I switched from a blade into the LAB and after the first few rounds wasn't seeing any improvement, but I stuck with it. This might have been a 1 round out of the norm, but I made more putts from various ranges then usual. My partners were impressed and Arcoss data backs it up:

image.png.f5a7b74b2c954e74aba181fade58c9a1.png

Taylor Made SIM 10.5 HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
TM SIM2 MAX 3W HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
TM P790 UDI 2iron Project X LZ 6.0
PXG Gen III 4-7 0311P, 8-GW 0311T Project X LZ 6.0
PXG Forged 55, 60 Project X LZ 6.0
PXG Spit Fire
Titleist Pro-V1/PXG Xtreme Premium

38 minutes ago, radiman said:

Lol, he was told that his post was worthless.  I would say that response to someone not liking the putter that he has in the bag is being pretty sensitive.  It's a golf brand not a sports team.  Not a personal attack on someone's character because he didn't like the putter.  The lengths at which people get their knickers in a bunch at the mention of anything negative about LAB is something I wasn't aware of until recently.  Not everyone is going to like the same club/brand/model.  And that's ok.  If you or anyone else likes LAB putters, one persons bad experience will not invalidate anyone else's experience.  

People can post negative feedback about other clubs after a quick demo or range session and no one bats an eye.  But, the same doesn't go for LAB?  After not having good results, we're supposed to keep our lips shut, not share any of the negative feedback, and either go for a full fitting or take the time to try all of their models.  

Personally, I think that it's an interesting concept.  I am glad that it helps some golfers who struggle with a traditional putter.  But, it won't be for everyone.  I do not personally like them.  I don't like the feel and quite honestly, they are not easy to look at.  Even their smallest models are kind of hard to look at.  Plus, I putt better with something more traditionally balanced.  Based on my initial and brief testing, it would not be worth wasting my time going through a fitting.  If someone doesn't see an immediate improvement to pull them in, why is there an expectation that they go through the whole process to come to the conclusion that it isn't for them?

it might be more of an issue on how OP is claiming many won’t like it or it will be a fad based on a putter he didn’t like.  

5 minutes ago, txbadger said:

it might be more of an issue on how OP is claiming many won’t like it or it will be a fad based on a putter he didn’t like.  

I mean, many people won't.  But many have and will.  Probably a much larger segment out there that won't even try it for whatever reason (looks, price, access, etc). Like anything in life, that's going to be the case.  He said that he sees it remaining a niche product.  That it won't be as impactful as the Anser or the 2-ball.  The design, feel, and price tag make it a pretty big departure from what most people have played.  I do not think it's a stretch to predict that it will be a niche putter.  He could be wrong.  I have to agree with his assessment.  And I could be wrong too.  Once I start seeing people actually using them in the real world, maybe I will change my tune.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

2 minutes ago, radiman said:

I mean, many people won't.  But many have and will.  Probably a much larger segment out there that won't even try it for whatever reason (looks, price, access, etc). Like anything in life, that's going to be the case.  He said that he sees it remaining a niche product.  That it won't be as impactful as the Anser or the 2-ball.  The design, feel, and price tag make it a pretty big departure from what most people have played.  I do not think it's a stretch to predict that it will be a niche putter.  He could be wrong.  I have to agree with his assessment.  And I could be wrong too.  Once I start seeing people actually using them in the real world, maybe I will change my tune.  

Soooo…your response is that he/you may be right or may be wrong.  That’s great..thanks.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, txbadger said:

Soooo…your response is that he/you may be right or may be wrong.  That’s great..thanks.

You're welcome?  I can assure you that he is not the only one who does not like the putters lol.  What exactly are you expecting here?  

You all want to be so angry about his post and I just simply do not understand why.  If you love LAB putters, fantastic.  It doesn't mean everyone else has to.  It is a golf club.  If a prerequisite to post on a golf forum designed to discuss golf equipment is that there is no room for negative feedback it would be a pretty boring place.  I mean, just the other day, someone posted a thread about wanting to try something as close to a LAB as he could before spending the money.  It didn't take long for comments to be made like, "if you can't afford it just say so".  I simply cannot grasp how strong the need for confirmation bias is to the point where people feel the need for condescending replies simply for daring to question the mighty LAB brand.  It's a putter.  

We all have our own opinions. They may be right or wrong.  His thoughts after trying it and not finding it to be the magic wand others claim it to be is that it will remain niche.  I do not understand why that is so egregious. 

Maybe you are all knowing and can speak with 100% certainty that this is the future of putting.  But I sure can't.  For now, they're kind of a weird looking expensive putter that a lot of people won't like.  And that's cool.  Some will.  Awesome. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

7 minutes ago, radiman said:

You're welcome?  I can assure you that he is not the only one who does not like the putters lol.  What exactly are you expecting here?  

You all want to be so angry about his post and I just simply do not understand why.  If you love LAB putters, fantastic.  It doesn't mean everyone else has to.  It is a golf club.  If a prerequisite to post on a golf forum designed to discuss golf equipment is that there is no room for negative feedback it would be a pretty boring place.  I mean, just the other day, someone posted a thread about wanting to try something as close to a LAB as he could before spending the money.  It didn't take long for comments to be made like, "if you can't afford it just say so".  I simply cannot grasp how strong the need for confirmation bias is to the point where people feel the need for condescending replies simply for daring to question the mighty LAB brand.  It's a putter.  

We all have our own opinions. They may be right or wrong.  His thoughts after trying it and not finding it to be the magic wand others claim it to be is that it will remain niche.  I do not understand why that is so egregious. 

Maybe you are all knowing and can speak with 100% certainty that this is the future of putting.  But I sure can't.  For now, they're kind of a weird looking expensive putter that a lot of people won't like.  And that's cool.  Some will.  Awesome. 

Everybody’s so worried about being able to post negative feedback 

then when the post itself gets negative feedback they are dumbfounded

dumb posts deserve to get flamed. You just said without negative feedback it would be a boring place so you should be happy for the all the negative feedback the og post got

10 minutes ago, radiman said:

You all want to be so angry about his post and I just simply do not understand why

are you ok?  Who is "angry"?   By the length of your replies I might suggest you have no tolerance for dissension with your opinion.   My only issue was that an individual opinion is just that.     I don't care that he or you don't care for lab putters.  To compare its longevity to a putter (and clones) that have been around for 58 or so years is just a little silly. 

17 hours ago, Peninsulagolfer said:

Have been struggling with my putting since being custom fit at Club Champion.  They retro fitted my existing Odyssey 7, and since then I lost all feel for distance.  Then went out and purchased a new Anser, and have fallen in live with the simplicity of a blade.

But one of my mates, who is a LAB evangalist, has been hastling me to play with a LAB putter.  On the weekend I agreed, and played a social round with a LAB DF 2.1.  Despite coming into winter, the greens were pure and slick.

Now clearly I wasn't custome fit, but I went in very open minded, and was hoping it would be a revelation.  

The opposite occurred.  Found it big, cumbersome and lacking feel.  I honestly felt I was using the clown shoes of the putting world.

Good luck to anyone who loves them, but my prediction after the weekend was that LAB putters will remain niche.  A bit like broomsticks.  And that they will not have anywhere near the impact of the Anser in the 60s, or 2-ball in the 90s.

I tried one in a store, and thought it felt pretty good. On the other hand, tried a Mezz broomstick, and couldn’t feel it at all. 

• Like 1