2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Matt Dobyns - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship

6 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

I don't know Mr. Dobyns but one look at that bag tells me he can take your money.

Left handed putter, right handed clubs from multiple generations, lead tape everywhere.......

This dude plays what works.  No pictures on the scorecard.

No fair! I beat ya to it and you edited!! 😠 

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Probably the most excited click I've made into a WITB in a long time.  Great pics.

Back in the day he was in one length irons, then wedges were all the same length as well just an inch or so shorter than the irons.  That still the case?  Wonder why he went away from LAB putters, he was definitely one of the early adopters of that technology.  Got out of the old Fourteen hybrids as well.

Would love it if he would show back up on the boards and explain the bag changes over the years!  He's definitely one that has tailored his bag to his particular game and always had a unique perspective.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9* w/ HZRDUS Gen4 Black 60 X 
TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5* w/ HZRDUS T1100 65 X

Ping G425 Max 20.5* @ 19* w/ Aldila Rogue White 80 X 
Mizuno JPX-923 Forged 4, Tour 5-PW w/ DG TI X100

Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 58* w/ KBS Tour X 
Directed Force 2.1 Broomstick 

Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x 

really cool callaway 13.5 head. awesome self engineering. he def hits that thing straight as an arrow.

Qi10 ls 7.5*: Tour AD VF 6 TX

Tsr3 14.25*: Tour AD X7 TX

Callaway Apex UT 20*: MMT 105 TX 

Titleist 620 mb: DG x100 tour issue

Titleist Sm10 52*: DG s400 tour issue

Taylormade MG4 TW RAW 56*/60*: DG s400 tour issue (en route)

2020 Scotty cameron S.S. Newport 2

23 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

I don't know Mr. Dobyns but one look at that bag tells me he can take your money.

Left handed putter, right handed clubs from multiple generations, lead tape everywhere.......

This dude plays what works.  No pictures on the scorecard.

He's a hustler, baby, he just wants you to know.......It ain't where he's been, but where he's about to go..........LOL.  Sorry, but I just had to.   

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

22 hours ago, Valtiel said:

What in god's name is going on in this bag, lol. Lets recap:

- Left handed putter, right handed everything else. 
- 15 year old Fujikura driver shaft. 
- Random (but not random) dots of red paint on both Titleist woods?
- Random white/yellow tape on the shaft for reasons™.
- Crooked Tour Velvet +4's that seem to be crooked in the same way.
- 13.5* second driver (?) with double weights, gobs of lead tape that looks like it's barely hanging on, and a Tour Red Flat adaptor.
- Mismatched (but similar style) Titleist driving irons in varying conditions with *also* mismatched (but similar style) Accra 100g shafts. 

Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

Straight up hustlin', just waiting to take everything you got in a money game......... 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mdobsss said:

Matt Dobyns here.   I still lurk on WRX all the time.   My bag has evolved since the last PGA I played, mostly because of age, but I’ll explain the current set up as best I can.

Shot a million last week but was more on me than my gear.  Haven’t played an event like that in some time. 

apologies in advance for the long post. 

Driver- 10* TSR3 set at C1 with old school Fuji fit on shaft.  I like to hit draws and Marty Jertson at Ping suggested I try I higher torque shaft because my misses start too far left.   Trouble is, it’s hard to find a shaft with a higher torque rating and that’s stiff enough for my swing speed (116-120).  Kirk Oguri at Pete’s Golf suggested I try the old Fuji so I bought it for $30 on eBay and was on my way.   Never driven it better since I put it in play last year.  it hardly ever starts left.  

“mini” driver - callaway epic 13.5*, flat COG @ 42.75” with stiff flex tensei 1k. .  This is my security blanket when things aren’t working with the driver and has been a huge edition to my bag since I started using it many years ago.   I play a lot of old courses in the northeast that place a premium on 275 and straight off the tee and this club helps me do that.   I’ve toyed around with mini drivers but the concept doesn’t really make sense to me because I’m looking for max forgiveness off the tee and my opinion is the 460 driver head offers that vs the smaller minis out there and I rarely need a 3w off the deck at my level.   If I played the tour all the time I might do something different here.  

irons- I played my best golf with dual length irons, 4-8 @ 37” and 9-LW @ 36”.    Unfortunately I don’t have the speed to do that anymore at 46 years old.   I have smaller steps off the 8 iron down to the 4iron but they are progressive length.   Love the Accra iron shafts 

9i - wedges- they are almost all same length with s400s.   I went nuts with the stamping for no reason this go round out of pure boredom.  I like my wedges heavy so I never used to stamp them because I’d have to cover them with lead tape.  Recently I found some high density lead tape that gets the weight where I like with much less coverage so I figured what the heck. 

putter-  35” odyssey versa blade.  I’ve been a LAB guy since Bill was building putters one at a time but last year I just needed to look at something different after a particularly poor round so I went to the PGA Tour Superstore and putted with every putter they had until I found one that sent the ball where I was looking.  Landed the versa for reasons unknown to me. 

I putt lefty because I got so yippy when I putted right handed I couldn’t take the putter back on the first hole of a qualifier in college.   I turned around and back handed the putt with the back side of a ping answer and made a smooth yip free stroke.   I putted that entire round with the back blade of a righty putter yip free and immediately switched.   Been doing it for 27 years now.  

I love being creative with equipment.   I look at each club like an individual tool for a specific job and that’s why my bag looks so nutty.   Im so disappointed when I see WITB of pros that look like they were taken straight out of an OEM commercial.  

Thanks for sharing! No apologies needed whatsoever - this is an awesome bag!

Edited by Ty_Webb
Wrong week
  • Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

16 hours ago, mdobsss said:

Matt Dobyns here.   I still lurk on WRX all the time.   My bag has evolved since the last PGA I played, mostly because of age, but I’ll explain the current set up as best I can.

Shot a million last week but was more on me than my gear.  Haven’t played an event like that in some time. 

Driver- 10* TSR3 set at C1 with old school Fuji fit on shaft.  I like to hit draws and Marty Jertson at Ping suggested I try I higher torque shaft because my misses start too far left.   Trouble is, it’s hard to find a shaft with a higher torque rating and that’s stiff enough for my swing speed (116-120).  Kirk Oguri at Pete’s Golf suggested I try the old Fuji so I bought it for $30 on eBay and was on my way.   Never driven it better since I put it in play last year.  it hardly ever starts left.  

“mini” driver - callaway epic 13.5*, flat COG @ 42.75” with stiff flex tensei 1k. .  This is my security blanket when things aren’t working with the driver and has been a huge edition to my bag since I started using it many years ago.   I play a lot of old courses in the northeast that place a premium on 275 and straight off the tee and this club helps me do that.   I’ve toyed around with mini drivers but the concept doesn’t really make sense to me because I’m looking for max forgiveness off the tee and my opinion is the 460 driver head offers that vs the smaller minis out there and I rarely need a 3w off the deck at my level.   If I played the tour all the time I might do something different here.  

irons- I played my best golf with dual length irons, 4-8 @ 37” and 9-LW @ 36”.    Unfortunately I don’t have the speed to do that anymore at 46 years old.   I have smaller steps off the 8 iron down to the 4iron but they are progressive length.   Love the Accra iron shafts 

9i - wedges- they are almost all same length with s400s.   I went nuts with the stamping for no reason this go round out of pure boredom.  I like my wedges heavy so I never used to stamp them because I’d have to cover them with lead tape.  Recently I found some high density lead tape that gets the weight where I like with much less coverage so I figured what the heck. 

putter-  35” odyssey versa blade.  I’ve been a LAB guy since Bill was building putters one at a time but last year I just needed to look at something different after a particularly poor round so I went to the PGA Tour Superstore and putted with every putter they had until I found one that sent the ball where I was looking.  Landed the versa for reasons unknown to me. 

I putt lefty because I got so yippy when I putted right handed I couldn’t take the putter back on the first hole of a qualifier in college.   I turned around and back handed the putt with the back side of a ping answer and made a smooth yip free stroke.   I putted that entire round with the back blade of a righty putter yip free and immediately switched.   Been doing it for 27 years now.  

I love being creative with equipment.   I look at each club like an individual tool for a specific job and that’s why my bag looks so nutty.   Im so disappointed when I see WITB of pros that look like they were taken straight out of an OEM commercial.  

Matt - thanks a bunch for this insight!  Awesome of you to take the time to write this up.  I too play right and putt left for the same reason.  Wish you all the best, keep doing what you're doing!

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9* w/ HZRDUS Gen4 Black 60 X 
TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5* w/ HZRDUS T1100 65 X

Ping G425 Max 20.5* @ 19* w/ Aldila Rogue White 80 X 
Mizuno JPX-923 Forged 4, Tour 5-PW w/ DG TI X100

Vokey SM8 50*, 54*, 58* w/ KBS Tour X 
Directed Force 2.1 Broomstick 

Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x 

16 hours ago, mdobsss said:

Thanks Matt for posting.

It's always great seeing y'all at the PGA Championship and I appreciate you letting me shoot your WITB.

Have a great 2024 and hope to see ya next year at Quail Hollow.

Stay safe!

Greg Moore - PGA

• Like 3

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

20 hours ago, mdobsss said:

Matt, awesome stuff here!

Thats very interesting on the driver shaft, I also like to draw the ball and my big miss is when it starts too far left and goes further left, so maybe I should consider that.

The irons are my favorite part, I've absolutely thought about doing the exact same thing basically playing the dual length.  I think that would fix the obvious issues I had with the SL irons.  Long irons were too short for my speed, and the short irons went too high and inconsistent lengths.

Thanks for the details.

Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

On 5/21/2024 at 4:56 PM, mdobsss said:

Buddy scrounged around garage sales, playitagain sports bins, and various tour trucks for that set up lol. 

You could write a movie about the building of that set of golf clubs....well done sir. 

TSi4 9* B4 - Ventus Black 7x

TSi2 13.5* A1 - Ventus Black 8X

TSR2 Hybrid 18* D1 - 1K Black 95x

4-PW MB 620 - Project X 6.5

54* Bent to 53*, 56*, 60* SM8 Raw - DG S300

Newport 2 Studio Select 35" 

On 5/15/2024 at 5:59 AM, ilikegolf26 said:

That GBB Epic was offered in a 13.5* loft?

I remember we had one at the second hand place I used to work at. It sat on the rack for ages until a ****** bro ran in and proclaimed “I have an emergency boys weekend broooo, I need a driver!” He hastily bought it and ran off. 2 mins later he slinks back in “ugh….i didn’t read the loft…can I get a refund???” 

Callaway Rogue ST 🔹🔹🔹LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR blue 6X

Titleist TSr3 16.5* - Tensei Blue 65X

Titleist 2023 t200 4 Project X 6.0

Titleist 2021 t100s 5-GW - Project X 6.0

Vokey SM9 - 52*, 56* m grind

Cleveland Zipcore raw - 60* low

Odyssey White Hot OG 1/OG 11/Toulon Atlanta

Srixon Z Star🔹

On 5/15/2024 at 1:23 PM, wlittle1274 said:

Probably the most excited click I've made into a WITB in a long time.  Great pics.

Back in the day he was in one length irons, then wedges were all the same length as well just an inch or so shorter than the irons.  That still the case?  Wonder why he went away from LAB putters, he was definitely one of the early adopters of that technology.  Got out of the old Fourteen hybrids as well.

Would love it if he would show back up on the boards and explain the bag changes over the years!  He's definitely one that has tailored his bag to his particular game and always had a unique perspective.  

Same here, my favorite click of the year.  

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]