Lead foot pressure/push to clear hips

Here with an open mind and no intention to argue. Got a lesson yesterday and left knowing that I need to work on keeping my butt back and clearing my lead hip. We spent time on body track and discussed proper pressure and placement on trail foot in backswing as well as my right hip tilting more as it rotates to help it stay back. We also discussed re-centering a bit and applying pressure to lead foot. What we didn’t really get to was how to clear the left hip better once the pressure/weight is where it needs to be at the right time. I plan on discussing this with him at our next lesson but in the mean time…

Is the next step just to push off that lead foot? Does that force the lead hip to clear? If not what do others think of to help clear that lead hip once the pressure is in the right spot at the right time? I’ve seen and heard a lot about “squash” the bug with the lead heal as well. Basically I’ve never been able to clear the left hip alone just by thinking about turning it. Was hoping there was some sort of ground force I could key on to get the hip clearing. 

Thank you in advance. 

One of the things I am working on is using left leg extension at the right time to not only clear the left hip but generally add acceleration through impact.  I have been doing it late for years and it's a hard habit to break.  Extension of that left leg through and just before impact can not only clear the left hip, but it can basically help move the left hip up as well, which moves the shoulder up also and ultimately the grip of the club up, all of which will accelerate the clubhead through impact using ground forces.  And yes to your second question, but make sure the knee stays pointing forward.

when you extend the left leg and all that still make sure you are getting side bend and keeping your head behind the ball.  that is partly how your left leg will be able to push your hip both up and back.

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Ping and TaylorMade Hybrids

Taylor Made RBZ 4W and Sim2 Driver

Scotty Cameron Fastback

Currently playing TP5, BRX, BX (still deciding)

51 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Is the next step just to push off that lead foot? Does that force the lead hip to clear? If not what do others think of to help clear that lead hip once the pressure is in the right spot at the right time? I’ve seen and heard a lot about “squash” the bug with the lead heal as well. Basically I’ve never been able to clear the left hip alone just by thinking about turning it. Was hoping there was some sort of ground force I could key on to get the hip clearing. 

Thank you in advance. 

It's a little bit of a complex question.  It depends on what "push off" means to you.  Trying to move the hips behind me and just push off, got me into the weeds quite a bit.  Simply straightening the lead leg and getting pressure into your heel is not the correct way to do it.  And just like with anything else with the golf swing - a lot of other things need to be sequenced correctly to get it to all flow correctly. 

This Padraig video I think really clears up a lot of these questions.  Learning to turn into your trail leg and lead leg is huge.  How he explains that the lead knee can actually feel like it comes in a little (away from target), while your turning into it was an eye opener.  He also mentions that it's the turning into the lead leg that causes the lead leg to extend and essentially gets the lead hip to clear.  In my take and personal experience, I do not actively try to fire the hips.  A good fundamental turn makes those things happen.  I think the 5:00 mark is a good place to start and around 6:00 mark he talks about creating pressure into the ground and turning into the lead leg.            

48 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Also, is it ok to feel a bit of an increase in lead knee flex as I shift into my lead side as I re-center? I would think that would help me push/jump off that lead foot. 

Yes increase flex in lead knee is fine.  And yes that helps build the pressure into the ball of the lead foot.  

I really found a knock-down shot or flighted wedges the best way to start to learn how to do this correctly.  Pre-set your tilt and pressure a little forward and keep it there.  Learn how to rotate into that lead leg.  Once that gets easy, then you just do the same thing in the backswing and turn into the trail leg and allow yourself to recenter.  During recenter - your just trying to find the same feel that you have at setup for that knock-down shot - then your turn into your lead leg. Punch shot or knock-down shots or flighted wedges can really help learn by taking out the recenter move.  Plus you'll improve on your wedges, punches and wind balls. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, wagolfer7 said:

It's a little bit of a complex question.  It depends on what "push off" means to you.  Trying to move the hips behind me and just push off, got me into the weeds quite a bit.  Simply straightening the lead leg and getting pressure into your heel is not the correct way to do it.  And just like with anything else with the golf swing - a lot of other things need to be sequenced correctly to get it to all flow correctly. 

This Padraig video I think really clears up a lot of these questions.  Learning to turn into your trail leg and lead leg is huge.  How he explains that the lead knee can actually feel like it comes in a little (away from target), while your turning into it was an eye opener.  He also mentions that it's the turning into the lead leg that causes the lead leg to extend and essentially gets the lead hip to clear.  In my take and personal experience, I do not actively try to fire the hips.  A good fundamental turn makes those things happen.  I think the 5:00 mark is a good place to start and around 6:00 mark he talks about creating pressure into the ground and turning into the lead leg.            

Yes increase flex in lead knee is fine.  And yes that helps build the pressure into the ball of the lead foot.  

I really found a knock-down shot or flighted wedges the best way to start to learn how to do this correctly.  Pre-set your tilt and pressure a little forward and keep it there.  Learn how to rotate into that lead leg.  Once that gets easy, then you just do the same thing in the backswing and turn into the trail leg and allow yourself to recenter.  During recenter - your just trying to find the same feel that you have at setup for that knock-down shot - then your turn into your lead leg. Punch shot or knock-down shots or flighted wedges can really help learn by taking out the recenter move.  Plus you'll improve on your wedges, punches and wind balls. 

Great videos and info, thanks.

The short answer is it’s partially about whether you’ve maintained posture when the leg straightens. The more you’re in posture and your butt is behind/back of your lead hip (mainly talking a down the line view), the more straightening the lead leg will want to push the pelvis around and back = rotation. 

The more the lead hip is directly above the lead leg, the more straightening the lead leg will cause the pelvis to shoot forward (early extension) or tilt laterally (lead side of pelvis high, hang back, and reverse C). 

This is also why some instructors talk about feeling the trail knee turn “into and behind” the lead leg (hard to explain this in words, but essentially what Scheffler is doing with his trail leg foot slide). That move forces the lead hip into a position where straightening the lead leg will help, rather than hinder, rotation. 

In my experience, feeling the center of your upper body moving towards target as you increase left side pressure is also helpful. Otherwise the lower body shifts but leaves the upper body behind, which exacerbates the stuck/early extension move. Video related. 

@Valtiel - crushing it as usual 🙂 

This is such a good addition to the topic.  The explanation of tilt #1, tilt #2 and big picture is huge.  That upper body getting out of tilt is a very common issue and not one that gets touched on enough.  Really informative and well put together post.  It's hard to just separate one move or one part of the body.  This ties a few big themes together very nicely.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ideally the pressure shifts should be in the heels to maximize rotation potential.  First in the trail heel to start the backswing with the hips and shoulders opening up, then the pressure shifts to the lead heel to start the downswing and return the hips and shoulders to the square position to hit the ball.  There is no weight shift up till now.  It happens after impact in the follow through.

Do people bend their back and knees enough at setup?  Is their stance too wide?  All these issues can make it hard to rotate and people resort to swaying and sliding which affects low point and causes consistency issues.

Another bad sign is lots of separation of the trail elbow from the body in the backswing.  It indicates a steep swing that requires shallowing the club in the transition.  Not just an amateur problem, it's more of a fad, to turn the shoulders and leave the hips alone.  Just like the outside takeaway is promoted over an on-plane takeaway, which is falsely labeled as an "inside takeaway".  Neither in nor out are ideal since they require compensations later on.

Edited by nikos74

I did the “unweighting” the lead leg drill in this video and it helped a lot. Watch the guy in this video. I try to think of it all aa one smooth, continuous move. Pressure is only in any one place for a moment. If you have to think about pushing off, I believe you will be too late.  Better to try to create beneficial reactions by your body instead of positions IMO. 

These guys also reference the AMG video as being very good and consistent with what they are teaching here. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

18 hours ago, CTgamer said:

The short answer is it’s partially about whether you’ve maintained posture when the leg straightens. The more you’re in posture and your butt is behind/back of your lead hip (mainly talking a down the line view), the more straightening the lead leg will want to push the pelvis around and back = rotation. 

The more the lead hip is directly above the lead leg, the more straightening the lead leg will cause the pelvis to shoot forward (early extension) or tilt laterally (lead side of pelvis high, hang back, and reverse C). 

This is also why some instructors talk about feeling the trail knee turn “into and behind” the lead leg (hard to explain this in words, but essentially what Scheffler is doing with his trail leg foot slide). That move forces the lead hip into a position where straightening the lead leg will help, rather than hinder, rotation. 

In my experience, feeling the center of your upper body moving towards target as you increase left side pressure is also helpful. Otherwise the lower body shifts but leaves the upper body behind, which exacerbates the stuck/early extension move. Video related. 

THis makes alot of sense and I watched this exact video yesterday.  Feeling the my center float over my lead knee as it flexes is a nice feeling for me.

17 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Agreed 100% to all of that. 

One thing I would add is to be careful of the "is it ok to feel a bit of an increase in lead knee flex as I shift into my lead side as I re-center" the @FormerBigDaddy asked, because IMO that is a very qualified "yes". If your lead side is already properly flexed and ready to be used and you're adding a touch of flex in transition as a sort of "trigger" move then that is fine. However if you're trying to use that re-centering window to do any more than that then you're running the risk of being a bit late as the majority of your lead knee flexing should be set quite early as that side needs to be "ready" in transition in the downswing, if that makes sense. Watch lots of pro driver swings from the down the line and pay attention to when their lead legs flex and set...you'll notice it happens quickly. One of the bigger mistakes you can make in trying to learn all this is to pay little attention to your lead side in the backswing since it's easy to get too focused on the idea of properly loading your trail side, then you scramble in transition to create some sort of lead side flex/movement and that's already way too late. Loading the trail leg and setting the flex in the lead leg happen together, and earlier than most people ever realize. 

The other important thing to keep in mind is why we're doing any of this, because some people get so focused on these ideas in a vacuum without the bigger picture in mind. ALL of these moves are designed to create pelvic "rotation" that is tilted to roughly match our spine angle, and the creation of those tilts is also what maintains our distance from the ball. Loading back intro the trail leg early via pushing it back and slightly up while adding flex to the lead side and allowing that hip to "lower" creates tilt #1:

TigerTiltRear1.gif.538c3fb3bb49c94255e027f8195164fc.gif

Then shifting/re-centering in transition to pressure the lead side and reverse this process via extending the flexed lead leg creates tilt #2:

TigerTiltRear2.gif.904efdc9c4396e7652027a8e3e0049d5.gif

All of this allows your upper body to stay tilted, and thus aligned with the ball down on the ground. All of the common rotation issues, specifically the reverse pattern of "left hip forward in the backswing, right hip forward in the downswing" force your upper body out of tilt which then requires hand/arm based on compensations. You can try and feel this for yourself by taking a regular golf posture, loading into the trail leg, stay on that trail leg and *don't* recenter, then try to create rotation in the "downswing" via pushing from that loaded right leg. The first thing that should naturally happen is the right hip will come forward and your spine will naturally straighten....this is what a majority of the golfing population does. Now if you do the same thing but actively re-center, get pressure into your front side, then create rotation from there via pushing the lead hip up and back while your trail leg feels unweighted and "along for the ride", you'll notice this move keeps your spine angle in tact and even encourages you to "stay down" as it where. This is what these moves are for. 

THis is 100% on the money of what i've been thinking about since my lesson.  THe first tilt is what we talked about extensively and the second tilt you described is exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned the "next step" in getting the lead hip to clear.  THank you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I see a lot of young players really trying to pop that front leg straight in the downswing with varying results.

It seems critical to make sure your center of mass is moving over the lead side before this happens. If the lead leg straightens aggressively before you get to the lead side it's going to be pretty hard to keep the pressure over there. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

6 hours ago, Jugs said:

Paddy is spot on saying the feet twist or torque the ground.   Older folks might call it 'wrenching' the ground, wrench torque.     But it has to feel late for it to be on time. 

I believe you meant to say, "But it has to feel early for it be on time".   Padraig and Pete Cowan talk about things happen in the golf swing much earlier than people think 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2024 at 12:54 PM, wagolfer7 said:

You gotta love Paddy. He's all in. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 9:44 PM, txbadger said:

I believe you meant to say, "But it has to feel early for it be on time".   Padraig and Pete Cowan talk about things happen in the golf swing much earlier than people think 

Meant how it was phrased- after the plant the leg torque is ongoing but gradual and slower compared with a late, last second ratchet against the ground for hitting into the finish instead of hitting into the ball.       It would probably be more accurate stating things happen earlier than we experience them instead of thinking about them.  

Edited by Jugs