Dominant eye lines putter face left. Fix?

When the putter face looks straight to me, it is actually 2° left (closed). Tested this multiple times over the last year, including a putter fitting.

I’m left dominant and right handed putter   

I wear progressive lenses and will be talking to my eye doctor about this at the next appointment

For now I aim what looks like straight (in reality left) then do a stroke with a little push to even out.  It’s a bit unnerving.  

Suggestions?

Posted (edited)

Same situation here.  Left eye dominant with a  right handed putter.  I noticed that'd always miss to the left, never to the right.

I got a mirror and started putting my eye directly above the ball.

But, this was no longer comfortable and I'd strain my back.

So I no longer do that.

I don't really have a good solution but wanted to point out that is a real issue to deal with.

I've always been good at putting. First as a young kid and as an older  adult.

Last season I switched to urethane balls to hold greens and made a bunch of birdie putts on short Par 3s.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Thanks 1

Me too sort of…

left eye dominant right hand putter but I tended to line up right of the target. Bandaid fix was a forward press that seemed to close the face a bit. Never got comfortable with that. 

Recently I lost all ability to line up putts until… I started walking in behind the putt and set my putter online while both eyes are still looking forward. I also use the alignment marks on the top of my putter religiously. They work! 

IMG_1258.jpeg.5244e3a7dd2618b87c5cac9a4892fbe5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Left eye dominant, right hander here too. I can't play with my progressives on. I can't see well up close but the ball in all situations is far enough away that I don't need the bifocal, so I just play without them. Makes it a little tougher to see my GreenBook's for putting breaks though lol! Like the OP, I tend to start them left thinking that I am aligned and pull them a little. Recently switched over the to the AI Cruiser Jailbreak putter and that has helped immensely. The "jailbreak" lines really help with getting things lined up. Plus it practically swings itself, back and through dead on line. Not sure if it's because it is heavier and counterbalanced or what, but it has really made a difference for me so far.

• Thanks 1

image.png.96dfc1a322d2f6ce9ea9b0646a0eba06.png

Cobra LTDx 9º Driver HZRDUS Blue RDX 6.5 

Cobra Radspeed 3wood 14½º Motore X F3 6S

Bullet Ti-Lies 7wood (mid 1990's) Harrison Pro shaft XS

2023 Cobra King Tec Utility 2 iron 17º KBS $-Taper Lite stiff

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-GW Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105s

Kirkland V2 Wedges

2024 Odyssey AI Cruiser Jailbird

Winn Dri-Tac Wrap Standard grips

Kirkland V3 Performance Plus | Callaway ERC soft | Vice Pro/Plus 

FWIW, I learned a good while back that what looked straight to me was actually a bit left. At that point in time I started religiously using a line on my ball to set my aim point. It was a bit unsettling at first as it felt wrong. But it kind of settled in over time. After about 6 months of this (which included a BUNCH of 'use the line' practice) I now find that my aim inside 10' is pretty good (without the line). I still have a bit of bias on longer putts, however. 

I am right eye dominant, BTW. 

dave

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I found out a while back I am left eye dominant.  It actually affects not only my putting alignment but also affects my iron stance when I address the ball, when I think the ball is in the middle of my stance, its not, it looks like the middle but its one ball forward.

I started closing one eye for both situations of addressing the ball, to verify that the ball is where I think it is in my stance (for irons) and for putting I close my right eye briefly as I am leaning over the ball to make sure its lined up.  After that I open it again for making the putt.

You can do a simple test to check your alignment, put a tee in the green 3-5 feet away from the hole.  Put other tee on the same line maybe 6-10 feet away from the hole.  If you like, perhaps a third tee...  Verify that these tees are exactly lined up to the hole.  Now place a ball on that line and address the ball and see what the tees look like, you will easily find out which eye is dominant and also you will find out what optical illusion you are dealing with when they are both eyes open.  Hint, use the dominant eye.

Secondly, I putt my actual stroke with my eyes 1-2 inches inside of the actual target line.  If you hunch all the way over so your eyes are directly above the ball you will do funny things with your stroke, which will alter your reality and cause you to compensate and do weird things that muddies all the waters.  Most people say your eyes should be an inch or two inside of the ball in order to have proper stance, however, then your perception of the target line will be altered, when you are truly lined up, it will look from there like you are lined up to the right half of the hole.  You can verify the alignment by leaning forward briefly, use your dominant eye, yes closer blades of grass that you lined up from behind the ball and know that's the line, etc.. but once you address the ball ready to putt, be 1-2 inches inside of the target line and be comfortable with the fact that it will feel like you need to swing the putter on a line that goes to the right half of the hole, because if you aren't aware of this, your subconscious mind will take over and pull left.

Edited by Dewdman42

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Ping and TaylorMade Hybrids

Taylor Made RBZ 4W and Sim2 Driver

Scotty Cameron Fastback

Currently playing TP5, BRX, BX (still deciding)

Without having to go down aiming rabbit holes which I did for years I'd simply find a putter you you like the balance of in your hands. Balance it with your eyes closed. Drop it behind the ball make your best stroke and just learn where it goes. Do it for hours. Disconnect your eyes from influencing/building the stroke and use them as a tool.

• Thanks 1

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

Left eye dominant right handed putter here. Not sure if scientifically correct, but I have heard that putters with less offset are beneficial to those of us who are "cross dominant." 

For what it's worth, I putted for the majority of the last 10 years with a Scotty Cameron Newport 2. Has a plumber's neck, so lots of offset. I really love the club. But it has recently dawned on me that I just don't line the thing up well enough. I still try to use it just because I like the darn thing so much, but after another round of 37 putts Saturday, I decided it was time to switch over to my Odyssey 2 ball ten that has been collecting dust and I ordered a stencil to draw a line on my golf ball for $5 on Amazon that claimed it would arrive on Sunday. Sure enough, the thing came in around noon yesterday and I set out to the golf course to see if the starter could squeeze me onto the tee sheet. I ended up with 27 putts on the same course to the same pin positions with zero warmup, zero mechanical changes to grip, tempo, etc., literally just a different putter that frames the ball better and using a sharpie line on the ball.

I have gone back and forth on this but I think it is just so hard for us left eye dominant guys to see the line when we're standing over the ball that using the line just makes sense. As long as you really take your time lining it up (what helps me is leaving my marker behind the ball while I am still trying to line it up so I don't constantly have to fish around for it in my pocket), you will be able to get over the fact that it sometimes looks "wrong" when you stand over the ball. 

In short, here are my suggestions for you:

1. go to your local golf shop and find the putter that sits behind the ball best for you. If you're using a putter with full offset, perhaps consider getting one with less offset. 

2. Use the line on the ball to aim your putts. I find it best to do it on every putt outside of 2 feet, but some people are successful doing it only on relatively straight putts or very slopey putts. Do whatever works best for you, but if you're really struggling to align your putter, I think that aligning the ball to where you want it to go and then setting up to that line either eliminates that variable or allows you to figure out what your miss really is based on how the line is rolling. At least give it a try in practice to see if you can better determine whether your reads, stroke, or alignment seem to be the problem.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

Drop 5 balls around the hole. Address it without "lining up", quickly guess where you think it will go. left, right, in? Then move to the next one. You need to learn this sh*t there isnt a roadmap of mirrors and lines.

• Thanks 1

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

Left eye dominant, right handed putter, also lined putter up to the left when I got fitted (also wear progressives, but not when I golf).  One of the things that helped my alignment the most was a WellPutt putting mat.  The alignment lines are great for helping you see where your putter face is aligned in relation to the target line.