2024 The Ascendant WITB Photos ×

Would you suggest Upgrading to a Scotty Cameron ?

Old

3 hours ago, NZ315 said:

That Tertllium insert on the T22 like Campions Choice is amazing and what keeps me with it. Gives you a nice soft touch. 
Spyder putters are very popular too. 

Oh I love my t22, but I struggle with it at times as the insert is so soft. I find I have to bash the ball as I live in a fairly wet part of the UK. Had it appraised by Golfclubs4cash the other week and they offered me £1000 for it, so scottys keep their value well if looked after.

Would love a champions choice but I think my wife would kill me if I bought a fourth putter…..

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X
Titleist pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

3 minutes ago, philly2kuk said:

Oh I love my t22, but I struggle with it at times as the insert is so soft. I find I have to bash the ball as I live in a fairly wet part of the UK. Had it appraised by Golfclubs4cash the other week and they offered me £1000 for it, so scottys keep their value well if looked after.

Would love a champions choice but I think my wife would kill me if I bought a fourth putter…..

I would love a T22 fastback. But just waiting for the right buy. I do find that I really have to hit the ball with longer putts on slower greens. That tock sounds soo good though. 

She'll never know until she knows. lol. Same reason not to tell the wife on Monday your golfing on Saturday. No sense in getting yelled at all week. When you can shorten it up by telling her Friday night…

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jtj74 said:

You say "I feel that putting is one of my best factors on the course." and that you love your spider. Why the hell would you mess with things?

I can’t disagree with this. If it works why change, although I just went the other way (Scotty to spider) because I had one bad round and wanted to try it!

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X
Titleist pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

2 minutes ago, philly2kuk said:

I can’t disagree with this. If it works why change, although I just went the other way (Scotty to spider) because I had one bad round and wanted to try it!

Look man, I say that like I mean it but I switch putters constantly. I also suck at putting and like blaming my equipment instead of myself. 

• Haha 1

I find that a switch once in a while can trigger “something” and make your OG look like a king. My #7CH has been like a NP2 with training wheels. I’ve configured it up to 650g with giant grips just to get a “big muscle” work out, then switch them back to the feel I like. 

Once the ball is rolling on line, the only thing to work on is distance control. 

That’s my take. 

I currently use a Scotty and seem to try another 10 putters a month and always come back to it. It is a hard putter to use in my opinion as the sweet spot is small. That said, it has forced me to work on my putting until I hit it more frequently and I prefer it to all the other putters I try

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, _chris said:

I currently use a Scotty and seem to try another 10 putters a month and always come back to it. It is a hard putter to use in my opinion as the sweet spot is small. That said, it has forced me to work on my putting until I hit it more frequently and I prefer it to all the other putters I try

the newer blade putters with weights are more forgiving. I’ve tried to switch to a mallet, spider x is best mallet for me I’ve found. It’s easier to line up the mallet but swinging the actual clubhead is more difficult with a big mallet head vs a blade like a Newport 2 for me. It also feel much more solid, thick hit with the Newport 2. 

Edited by MK7Golf21

Whatever makes the ball go in the hole.  

Just because it says Scotty Cameron on it doesn’t mean it’s better for you.  

i used to be a putter snob till in a moment of desperation I used a putter I won at a men’s league year end wrap up - aka something they couldn’t sell.  Its something I would’ve never even picked up at the time, but it just works for me. 

On 5/22/2024 at 8:22 PM, Old said:

First off:  I do not want to hear any comments saying "It's not the putter" or "Buy putting lessons instead" as I feel that putting is one of my best factors on the course. :classic_laugh:

Second off: Upgrading my putter is not the utmost priority for me at the moment , but it is something I've been really wanting to look into for months.

My current Putter is a Spyder that I bought used from my local Golfdom, I'm not sure the exacts on the year , exact model etc. but I love the thing. Cosmetically it has most certainly seen better days , as even upon purchase the putter was scratched and chipped all around it.  I got it for somewhere around 120-140 and I've decided that I could use it as a solid trade in towards a new hybrid (I'm aware I'll only get $80-90 lol) . I've been searching ebay for the past few days and have missed out on a ton of steals in my price range. I'm currently looking into used x8's and x11's that are up for auction, and have found many that have sold for a reasonable price that fits my budget. All I'm wondering is , would you recommend it? Wether you own a Scotty or not I want your opinion , as I've observed a Scotty Cameron bias :smilie_titty: among many owners lol. 

I would not consider paying the couple hundred dollar premium for the Cameron logo to be an "upgrade". If you want it, buy it, enjoy it. But the logo does not make it a better putter nor will it make you hole more putts. It's conspicuous consumption and wanna-be like the cool kids.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

I would keep the Spider.  You have found something (a brand, shape, style) that works for you. I have a number of SCs and I genuinely like most of them.  But I’ve finally found the style that works for me (wide blade/mid-mallet) and am actually gaming the Bettinardi QB15.  It was an expensive journey for me and now I’ll be selling a number of putters.  You hit pay-dirt out of the gate.  Well done!  At most I would suggest having your Spider refinished or getting another as a backup

You mentioned that putting is one of the best parts of your game and that you love the Spider that you have. I wouldn’t change a thing or at the most, purchase one of the newer Spiders with similar specs to your own. 
I was always a decent Anser style putter user. A few years back, I switched to various mallets because I thought I “should” be using them for various different reasons. 
I’ve gone full circle and I’m back using Anser style putters and I could’ve saved myself into the thousands and bunch of time!
The WRX’er life is a grind at times 😅 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

8 hours ago, Sean289 said:

You mentioned that putting is one of the best parts of your game and that you love the Spider that you have. I wouldn’t change a thing or at the most, purchase one of the newer Spiders with similar specs to your own. 
I was always a decent Anser style putter user. A few years back, I switched to various mallets because I thought I “should” be using them for various different reasons. 
I’ve gone full circle and I’m back using Anser style putters and I could’ve saved myself into the thousands and bunch of time!
The WRX’er life is a grind at times 😅 

I've made the same journey, myself. There's no place like...Anser.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Are you looking to upgrade to a Scotty for performance or because you just want to own one?

I'm in the latter group. I just wanted to own one. My group of golfing friends nobody had one. I would see them at the store but they would be locked up and I didn't want to bother the employees just so I can mess around with it. I like the look of a scotty putter. I have been back and forth with myself on if I should get one or not for a long time. I eventually found one at a good deal and am very happy with my purchase. Does it make me a better putter? nope, but I enjoy owning and gaming it.  

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

I've made the same journey, myself. There's no place like...Anser.

So very true. I do occasionally lament all the hours I lost chasing the MOI dragon 😂 

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

Posted (edited)

If you find one you like, sure. I ended up waiting a long while finally got my dream Scotty - T22 NP for a reasonable deal (thankfully) from a member here. Does it putt any differently? No, but the extra bit of confidence and knowing I don’t need any other putters is nice. I still find myself eyeballing new offerings but never pull the trigger. 

Edited by LoopySwing13
  • Like 1

Get fitted and see what works best for you. Personally I e tried Scotty’s many times and they just don’t work for me. 

WITB - 5/23/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 60G

4W: TSR2 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 70G

7W: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

4H: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H/62T - DG X100TI

Odyssey AI One Rossie S / TaylorMade TP Collection Juno

Ball : ProV1 for now not 100% commited to it though

I own a couple of scotty's and can say it is the arrows. Technology has come full circle. With that being said I own an edel, piretti, ping, and am having a lajosi built. Scottys's are nice putters, dont get me wrong, but there are a lot of better builders out there that just make flat out outstanding equipment. Scottie has been there and done that, he's made his money, he's a trendsetter, a tremendous salesman, great designer, and has made some flat out great equipment. You cant go wrong with his equipment at all though, and theres not another putter maker out there whos clubs hold their value like his, so if tou want to sell it or trade it in.

Personally, I think Scottys are ridiculously over priced. But going into a brandless fitting my son was fit into a Scotty and it works for him. I think Mizuno M-Craft putters offer the most bang for the buck. Forged then milled, they offer incomparable feel.

On 5/22/2024 at 8:36 PM, Old said:

I love my Spider , but the current state of it just motivates me to trade it in before it keeps getting damaged (I feel like It's necessary  to include a picture of the club lol, so will do that when I'm available to) Grip is fine regardless of the other flaws, just have to been thinking it's a tad too heavy for me and doesn't glide on the grass how I like it.

If your putter "doesn't glide on the grass how I like it." the issue certainly isn't the putter itself.  Most people are concerned with the loft of their putter. How much bounce do you like on your putter?

4 minutes ago, Esox said:

Personally, I think Scottys are ridiculously over priced. But going into a brandless fitting my son was fit into a Scotty and it works for him. I think Mizuno M-Craft putters offer the most bang for the buck. Forged then milled, they offer incomparable feel.

Made in USA. Americans don’t work for cheap.

Worth repeating for Memorial Day. 

• Like 1

I’m just curious as to why you think buying a Scotty Cameron is an upgrade? The name? Lots of great putters out there, including your Spider. 

A Cameron isn’t an upgrade over anything, it’s just another putter.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10k 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX R

Maltby TS1 IM 7-GW - Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

Lol...all the hating on SC putters. 

To the OP, if you buy a Scottie Cameron putter and putt better with it then its an upgrade -period. I love my original Ping Anser 2 putter but compare it to my Scottie Cameron Newport Two, the NP 2 is an upgrade. It's like comparing a base pickup work truck to a new F150\Ram\Silverado. I can roll em both just fine I prefer the newer version. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orchardist said:

What a pain the a** dealing with cameron corp is.  Avoid. You can do better.  Annoying overrated hype.

I was always a fan of Scotty Cameron but had a bad customer experience with them.  It's unfortunate because excluding that I've only had positive experiences with golf manufacturers.  Kind of turned me off to Titleist as a whole.

• Like 1