2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Comparison of Forged Iron "Feel" by OEM

JD3

Posted (edited)

I know forged irons feel different from one OEM to the next, so I wanted to create this to compare, not necessarily to rank which is of course player preference.

IMO the ones I've tested I'd describe as:

Mizuno

They have the least "explosive" feel. I don't feel the ball springing off the face, more like it's kind of being "captured" in it. Borderline "dull," what others may be describing as "buttery."

Miura

Very unique, almost "electric" feel. First time I hit one I felt like I had to look down and make sure a battery wasn't in the head. At same time, they are also "silky."

Titleist

Firmest and "clickiest" by far.

Callaway

More similar to Mizuno, but a bit firmer with some Titleist "click." To get the "click" from them need to hit it right on the exact sweet spot. 

Srixon

Very solid but not to the point of firm, very subtle amount of click, and some sense the head is adding ball speed. Imo Srixon would be a good baseline for comparison.

PXG

(I'm only commenting on the T models as the P's are too game improvement and I've not hit their solid heads. But T's are also fully forged heads, even though center is foam filled.)

Soft and solid, but as expected on more soft side. Sense of adding ball speed in this case somewhat suggestive of a  tennis racket.

Yururi

Small OEM, but since they're my wedges I can comment. Very "dense," feels like ball is being "punished," like hit with a sledge hammer.

I cannot comment on TM, as I've only hit the P790's and the part of the head not forged definitely makes it more cast than forged imo. Ditto for Ping, Cobra and Wilson.

Edited by JD3
  • Like 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Posted (edited)

I'll add Vega and Epon as well.  Epon is the epitome of soft.  Nothing and I mean nothing is softer, IMO.  They ding up easy as a result.  Vega is right behind it.  They literally feel like a mushy marshmallow.  You either hate it or love it. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

In my opinion, Miura feel the most dense.  It’s a firmer feel but soft at the same time. different from anything else I’ve hit. 

Cobra MB’s to me feel the best besides Miura. Then in third comes mizuno 241’s (current irons, combo 4-5 of 243’s). Definitely don’t feel as lively but that’s not a bad thing to me. 

ping OG blueprints a little more firm. Don’t think I’ve hit any other MB’s of current generation MB’s to comment on 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• JD3 changed the title to Comparison of Forged Iron "Feel" by OEM

Taylormade’s P7MC is forged with their 2k ton press and feel insanely dense with tons of hit, yet amazingly soft out of the middle.

• Like 2

TSR3 8 15, Ventus TR Black 6x 7x

ZX MkII 19*, Ventus Black HB 9tx

20 P7MC 4-p, Axiom 125x

SM10 raw 50 54 60, TI S400 onyx

AOP Oil Can Newport 33 350

Posted (edited)

This is always a fun discussion and will lead to many going down the JDM rabbit hole. There are more than a few specifics that define a forged club and some in my opinion are eye brow raising and honestly a stretch to call a club "Forged". If you want the "Softest" I would say most anything in a one piece forging by Endo ( Epon, OnOff, Bridgestone, Yamaha, Srixon others.] Mizuno uses a few different materials from 1025E and Chromoly and both have their own unique feel.

I agree with the " Dense" adjective for Miura and it comes down to what you like to say what's the best. The hollow body forged Irons ( PXG, TM P770 , P790  with foam or rubber or secret sauce in my opinion belong in a different category since they are adding a material to enhance the feel of the forging.   

I will throw a DTC brand in the conversation that I tried a few times that were surprisingly "Soft " and that's New Level Golf, In particular the 902PD.  There are also Irons like the Srixon ZX5 that use a forged body with a Spring steel face welded and that is a thin hot face and is a harder feel. I guess we could throw Ping i530 and others that use that process in the same category.   

Edited by Tzoid

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G430 21 Fairway , Tensei AV Raw Blue 65

Ping G430 5 Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

Posted (edited)

I agree with much of the above:

Miura BB: simultaneously soft and solid, with a concentrated feedback that’s like nothing else out there.

Epon Personal 2: Japanese marshmallows with a bit of click.  When I first  put these in the bag I decided to bring my Wilson FG-17 out of retirement so that I could compare.  The FG-17 were much firmer with plenty of feedback.  It took a while for me to get use to the Epons because I'd never played anything that soft before.  In comparison to the Wilsons, they had much less feedback.  

United SBB1 Tours/Vega Idon'tremembers: both of these blades are made out of Kyoei blanks.  Very soft with a pleasant click.  Softer and less solid than Miura, but not as soft as Epon.  They have enough click to give you some feedback without being harsh.  I definitely liked them better than Personal 2 (which I owned two or three times).

Cobra King MB: a poor man’s Miura BB.  Not as soft or as solid as the BB.  By modern standards, these irons are short from heel-to-toe.  Not quite as short as the BB, but a hair shorter than the Wilson FG-17, MacGregor Muirfield 20th Anniversaries, and the Masdas.  Great USDM club.

Srixon 945.  Solid without being firm.  It has some softness, too.  Not much click or crispiness from what I recall.  Another very nice club.

Masda Proto blades (the version with the long hosels): These bad boys are the sledgehammers of the JDM world, and produce a wave of feedback that goes from solid-thick-and-dense to soft.  They make the BB feel like Epons.  These Proto blades are what Godzilla would use—and make no mistake boys and girls—Godzilla would play blades!!!!

Edited by db2

Vega wedges,raw, got a 52 56 vw06 17166061203865479998033863057146.jpg.1c74f89ec0ddab33ad8881f5c9a59262.jpgpair a year ago. Love the 52. 56 is completely different...

52 RTx4 jdm forged. Its nice, and rarity value ...

Irons

J33cb and MP64

Both easy going cb.

Importantly, many people love non soft forgings. I bought mb710 ten years ago at start of Winter.. instantly learned what people were saying..at the Range i was hitting rocks. Clicky rocks. Sold soon after.

Test and Tune...

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

For me, I don’t like the buttery soft that some people do. I have always wanted a very dense feeling strike but with minimal click. Through the years I have had some incredible irons with my favorites being Daiwa Advisor and MacGregor VFoil 1025M.  I love the feeling that the ball just becomes part of the club for a split second longer creating a very heavy hit feel. Most recently Srixon ZForged and Ping Blueprint S have given me the feel I prefer. 

• Like 2

TAYLORMADE QI 10LS 8* GD VF 50 X

PING G425 LST 14.5 Rogue 80X

PING G430 HY 17* Tour 2.0 X

PING G430 HY 19* Tour 2.0 X

PING BLUEPRINT S Accra Green 125

PING S159 50S, 54H, 58S Accra 130

I series steel shafts 

PING OSLO 3 PLD PLUS no sight line dot only                   

On 5/23/2024 at 11:33 PM, g_nw said:

Taylormade’s P7MC is forged with their 2k ton press and feel insanely dense with tons of hit, yet amazingly soft out of the middle.

I haven’t hit a p7mc in years. But I always remember my brother and I describing it as a similar feel to hitting the sweet spot on a wooden bat. Soft, crack feeling. Always loved them. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, petep5280 said:

I've been obsessed looking for the best feeling irons. So far, 2 have stuck out:

Z785s

Cobra Amp Cell Pros

I tried some Z745s recently and couldn't find their feel like the Z785s. 

I have a set of Cobra CB/MBs on their way hoping they are just like the Amp Cell Pros. 

I’m still using the Z785’s and will agree they feel phenomenal. I’ve tried less than others on here for sure, but they may be the best feeling irons i’ve ever hit.

5 minutes ago, DoughBack18 said:

I’m still using the Z785’s and will agree they feel phenomenal. I’ve tried less than others on here for sure, but they may be the best feeling irons i’ve ever hit.

They had this feel that went right through the backs of my forearms that was unbelievable. Same with the 🐍

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, RogerinNewZealand said:

Vega wedges,raw, got a 52 56 vw06 17166061203865479998033863057146.jpg.1c74f89ec0ddab33ad8881f5c9a59262.jpgpair a year ago. Love the 52. 56 is completely different...

52 RTx4 jdm forged. Its nice, and rarity value ...

Irons

J33cb and MP64

Both easy going cb.

Importantly, many people love non soft forgings. I bought mb710 ten years ago at start of Winter.. instantly learned what people were saying..at the Range i was hitting rocks. Clicky rocks. Sold soon after.

Test and Tune...

Love 'em or hate 'em, have to give credit to Titleist for remaining consistent over the years. I "like 'em" in the MBs, they impart a blissful compression on the ball when hit in the sweet spot.

Edited by JD3
  • Like 1

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Since taking up golf in the late 90s, I can honestly say I haven't tested that many clubs.  I have always been about ball-striking golf, not chasing club ideals. 

I started with cast Ping, then switched to forged Mizuno blades, followed by forged PRGR, then custom forged MacGregor blades, forged Titleist blades, cast Callaway CB, forged Miura blades, back to forged 620 Titleist blades and forged T100

The softest of the lot was Miura, then Mizuno, and then MacGregor, and the most played being forged Titleist; I never wanted the softest feel.  Titleist seems to make soft forging but not so much that it masquerades impact, like the others.  I find it useful to instantly know where my ball is going at impact, without having to look up.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Titleist AP2’s felt great but the new T-series, while great performing irons (2021 T100 is the only model i’ve used and formerly owned), certainly are firm/clicky; clicky is not necessarily a bad thing though, nor an indicator of overall performance. I think there just might be more feedback on off-center hits that you would more-so expect out of a blade/MB than whatever category the T100’s fall into

Srixon Zx7’s, which I own, are definitely less clicky and sort of remind me of the prior gen models of Titleist AP2’s. They feel and perform great.

That’s all i can speak to, lol

• Like 1

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

• 4 weeks later...

Have to update my opinion on Mizuno, as I realized it depends on which line. I demo'd the 921 Tours (100% solid forged head), and quickly put them in the bag. Unlike the MP line, these add an element of "crispness" that I really enjoy. Much more so than MP's that came across as "dull" to me. I think I even heard an interview with their head of product who said the MPs are for Mizuno traditionalists who want a certain look and feel, the latter of which they often achieve with a layer of copper. The newbies to Mizuno are expecting a different look and feel.

Edited by JD3
  • Like 1

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

On 5/25/2024 at 11:00 AM, DoughBack18 said:

I’m still using the Z785’s and will agree they feel phenomenal.

I played a Z965/Z765 combo set last year. Softest  feeling irons I've ever played.

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

My favorites are the last several generations of Wilson staff CB and MB irons and endo forged Bridgestone irons. They have a similar soft but not mushy feel.

Also enjoy Vega satin VM wedges which fall in a similar feel category as Bridgestone and Wilson.

Love the performance of Titleist irons especially the 716 CBs but hate the hard clicky feel. Titleist CB 716 with the feel of the Bridgestone J33 CB would be the perfect iron. 

Agree with the description of Miura and still wonder why I sold my combo set of CB 57 and MB001 irons. Feel is really unique, dense and addictive.

Srixon are similar to Bridgestone but a little softer.

Callaway 2018 Apex MB irons are also great soft but not too soft irons. Nothing else from Callaway feels the same. 2018 X forged were nice but they were too soft for me.

i have never fallen for a Mizuno iron. They feel good to me but I always find something I like better. Cannot give a good description of the feel because I don’t have enough experience with them.

Macgregor MT irons had a feel between Bridgestone and Miura. Nice just not special.

IMG_7584.jpeg

IMG_7586.jpeg

IMG_7535.jpeg

IMG_4007.jpeg

IMG_6042.jpeg

IMG_4469.jpeg

IMG_4484.jpeg

IMG_5511.jpeg

IMG_5507.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

IMG_5383.jpeg

Edited by Tar_Heel_93
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Tar_Heel_93 said:

My favorites are the last several generations of Wilson staff CB and MB irons and endo forged Bridgestone irons. They have a similar soft but not mushy feel.

Also enjoy Vega satin VM wedges which fall in a similar feel category as Bridgestone and Wilson.

Love the performance of Titleist irons especially the 716 CBs but hate the hard clicky feel. Titleist CB 716 with the feel of the Bridgestone J33 CB would be the perfect iron. 

Agree with the description of Miura and still wonder why I sold my combo set of CB 57 and MB001 irons. Feel is really unique, dense and addictive.

Callaway 2018 Apex MB irons are also great soft but not too soft irons. Nothing else from Callaway feels the same. 2018 X forged were nice but they were too soft for me.

i have never fallen for a Mizuno iron. They feel good to me but I always find something I like better. Cannot give a good description of the feel because I don’t have enough experience with them.

Macgregor MT irons had a feel between Bridgestone and Miura. Nice just not special.

IMG_7584.jpeg

IMG_7586.jpeg

IMG_7535.jpeg

IMG_4007.jpeg

IMG_6042.jpeg

IMG_4469.jpeg

IMG_4484.jpeg

IMG_5511.jpeg

IMG_5507.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

IMG_5383.jpeg

Man I totally agree with you.  Wilson and Bridgestone have been my favorites by far.  

Grew up playing older Mizuno’s and I loved them!  But over the past 5 years, Bridgestone is always my reference point for feel and over the past 3 years it’s been Wilson.  Just a fantastic feeling iron!

Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x 

Srixon   ZxU mkii 4i   Modus Ghost Stiff 

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

15 hours ago, Tar_Heel_93 said:

IMG_7584.jpeg

IMG_7586.jpeg

IMG_7535.jpeg

IMG_4007.jpeg

IMG_6042.jpeg

IMG_4469.jpeg

IMG_4484.jpeg

IMG_5511.jpeg

IMG_5507.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

IMG_5383.jpeg

Man those forged head images have me drooling 😋

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

I have about 40+ sets and short sets of forged irons built.  Many from the big name brands, and even those don't feel the same between models.  I've been building up a lot of 6 and 7 iron demo heads, taking advantage of really cheap last-years demo models.  I recently built up some Mizuno MP18, MP20, MP221 and 223.  I was really jazzed for the 221/223, but they were a let down.  Felt much clickier than I thought they would.  The MP18 and MP20 are exactly how a Mizuno should feel.

I've also built up multiple sets of Honmas including 717, 727, and Rose Protos, multiple sets of Maruman Conductors, and a couple PRGR sets.  The Maruman feel the softest, imo.

The overall softest set I have are some MacGregor Pro-M/C, but they were the non-chrome model with the black finish.  Feel super soft.

Built a Miura MC501 and a Epon AF-Tour.  Not buttery soft, more of a solid feel to them.

Best of the name brand stuff is a short set of Taylormade P730s.  

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

Anything forged by Endo is my preferred feel 

Endo forged sets I own and do not plan on selling include - 

Cleveland 588 CB (first set I broke 80 with) 

Srixon Z745 (first set I built myself) 

Callaway X-forged 2013 

Bridegstone J15CB 

I have never hit a Muira so I cannot speak to the feel of them and my experience with Mizuno clubs is minimal (had a set of MP64 for a while and hit them on the range with shafts that were way too soft for me. Never got around to building them up in a set of shafts I normally play and ended up selling them to make room for other sets I wanted at the time. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ger21 said:

I played a Z965/Z765 combo set last year. Softest  feeling irons I've ever played.

how do you like those Fourteen wedges? Pretty impressed with the DJ-5 I just put into the bag

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Fourteen DJ-5 54 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

3 hours ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

how do you like those Fourteen wedges?

I've never been more accurate with my wedges then I am with the RM-4's. I get a much lower flight than I've had in the past, too.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

On 5/25/2024 at 1:21 PM, mjo23 said:

Titleist AP2’s felt great but the new T-series, while great performing irons (2021 T100 is the only model i’ve used and formerly owned), certainly are firm/clicky; clicky is not necessarily a bad thing though, nor an indicator of overall performance. I think there just might be more feedback on off-center hits that you would more-so expect out of a blade/MB than whatever category the T100’s fall into

Srixon Zx7’s, which I own, are definitely less clicky and sort of remind me of the prior gen models of Titleist AP2’s. They feel and perform great.

That’s all i can speak to, lol

T100's have a lot of tungsten at the perimeter, so not truly a one piece forged. I found them to be amazing on center strikes, punishing compression of the ball, but quite harsh on off center strikes ...probably most night and day of any iron I ever hit. 

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips