Fix my putting stroke

I realized recently that I “slice” my putting stroke. I take it up and outside and then pull across the ball. How can I learn to arc it properly? Should I feel like I am trying to hit a draw with my putter? 

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X

BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

2023 T100 4-PW C-taper 125S+

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

14 hours ago, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

I realized recently that I “slice” my putting stroke. I take it up and outside and then pull across the ball. How can I learn to arc it properly? Should I feel like I am trying to hit a draw with my putter? 

IMG_1621.mov

Very common. It comes from using the arms too much in the stroke and simultaneously attempting to keep the putter coming straight back. However, every putting stroke will have some arc too it. That should help you realize that the clubhead needs to come in to the ball on a shallow path, just like in a full swing.

My advice is too take your arms out of the equation and simply use your shoulders to putt. start with short putts 5-10 feet and see if you can hit 10 foot putts simply with more shoulder turn. On video you should see the clubhead open up and get below the target line in the backswing. The opposite should occur in the finish. The clubhead naturally closes and finishes left.

Brad Faxon is one of the best putters in history. His drill here might help.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

23 minutes ago, slytown said:

Very common. It comes from using the arms too much in the stroke and simultaneously attempting to keep the putter coming straight back. However, every putting stroke will have some arc too it. That should help you realize that the clubhead needs to come in to the ball on a shallow path, just like in a full swing.

My advice is too take your arms out of the equation and simply use your shoulders to putt. start with short putts 5-10 feet and see if you can hit 10 foot putts simply with more shoulder turn. On video you should see the clubhead open up and get below the target line in the backswing. The opposite should occur in the finish. The clubhead naturally closes and finishes left.

Brad Faxon is one of the best putters in history. His drill here might help.

Thanks for the helpful post! I wonder if a slant neck putter could help me get on the proper arc as well.

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

2 minutes ago, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

Thanks for the helpful post! I wonder if a slant neck putter could help me get on the proper arc as well.

Slants and plumbers have similar toe rotation. The plumbers actually would probably work better because it has that larger offset. Hang on to that beautiful Scotty and work on your stroke. Don't fall into that category of golfer that changes clubs to change their game. 🙂

39 minutes ago, slytown said:

....simultaneously attempting to keep the putter coming straight back.  However, every putting stroke will have some arc too it. That should help you realize that the clubhead needs to come in to the ball on a shallow path, just like in a full swing.

Every putting stroke will appear to have some arc on it when viewed from above the plane.  A true on plane stroke will make the putter head look like it is inside the aim line and open to that line, but is actually square to the plane and line.  The problem is that viewed from above, as you say, that by attempting to keep the putter coming straight back, you are actually closing the putter and taking it outside the tilted plane of the putting strokes plane.   To "correct" the close face you must then open the putter coming back down. 

Watch this video of the LAB golf guys talking about the putting board as they explain it.

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

12 minutes ago, Mike_C said:

Every putting stroke will appear to have some arc on it when viewed from above the plane.  A true on plane stroke will make the putter head look like it is inside the aim line and open to that line, but is actually square to the plane and line.  The problem is that viewed from above, as you say, that by attempting to keep the putter coming straight back, you are actually closing the putter and taking it outside the tilted plane of the putting strokes plane.   To "correct" the close face you must then open the putter coming back down. 

Watch this video of the LAB golf guys talking about the putting board as they explain it.

Yes. There is the swing line and the target line. All putting strokes (99%) moving on an arc, from the inside, to the target line.

Posted (edited)

I battle this also.  Some causes of an outside loop:  at address, having your eyes too far over the ball vs on to inside the ball.  Another is having open shoulders.  Howard had a putter fitting post on here.  If I remember correctly, it had to do with adding weight to the head to help with the loop.  It is a struggle for me.  Hell, I can even do it sometimes with my DF3 CB....

Edited by tdeutmeyer

Things that I have found increase arc without actually manipulating the stroke itself:

Narrower stance

Eyes further inside the golf ball

More weight toward the heels 

Tucking elbows in tighter to body at address

Might be worth trying one of these setup cues and seeing if it helps you get the putter back how you want

Some of the above posters have mentioned this, but sort out your setup and aim:

1. Make sure you're not aiming left or right of your intended target

2. Square your shoulders up by letting your trail elbow fold a little more. It'll feel closed at first.

3. Make sure the ball isn't too far forward in your stance. This will also open your shoulders.

4. Adopt a grip that keeps the club in both your palms. You want to feel like there's one long line from the shaft through your arms. This will force you to putt with your arms and shoulders. 

5. Purchase one of these:  Visio Putting Template

• Like 1

How to film your golf swing:

Down The Line

Immediately, I see (even though I can't see arms and torso) that your hands/wrists are too close to your body.  Likely hanging inside your shoulder line.  If your hands/wrists are inside your shoulder line, you will see the putter head move outside the line on the way back.  You also will see the putter head do that on the follow through.  As evidenced by the video.  If your hands/wrists  are too far outside your shoulder line the arc will be too far inside back and then again after impact.  If your hands/wrists are under your shoulder line (or very slightly inside) the putter head will arc back and through properly.

Easiest way to see where your hands/wrists are in relation to your shoulder line is to set up with your left shoulder on the left side of a doorway.  Very easy to tell where the hands/wrists are.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (Didn't make the cut)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (still the GOAT)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

7 hours ago, Mike_C said:

I made a homemade version of this board using a golf club box. I’m starting to get the feel down now!

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

4 hours ago, Socrates said:

Immediately, I see (even though I can't see arms and torso) that your hands/wrists are too close to your body.  Likely hanging inside your shoulder line.  If your hands/wrists are inside your shoulder line, you will see the putter head move outside the line on the way back.  You also will see the putter head do that on the follow through.  As evidenced by the video.  If your hands/wrists  are too far outside your shoulder line the arc will be too far inside back and then again after impact.  If your hands/wrists are under your shoulder line (or very slightly inside) the putter head will arc back and through properly.

Easiest way to see where your hands/wrists are in relation to your shoulder line is to set up with your left shoulder on the left side of a doorway.  Very easy to tell where the hands/wrists are.  

Could this mean my putter is too long for me?

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

5 hours ago, Socrates said:

I agree that setup is the most likely issue. No use in just seeing the clubhead move and it's foolish to try to manipulate the hands to groove a stroke that doesn't match up with your setup. Most likely if you are struggling with the putter cutting across, you're either setting up with shoulders open to the line or you're setting up with hands inside the shoulder line. Your putter might be too long for you, but you also just might be crowding the ball and hunching over a lot. 

I disagree with the comments about set up. People are speculating when in reality any set up that uses the arms to pull the club on line will produce your out to in path with open face. Some better players even stand close and put the toe down in order to hit shorter putts with less face rotation.

I would focus on your stroke based on what we can see. Unlike the full swing, there are lots of weird putting set ups. The new video looks better. In my experience, your issue simply comes from using the arms too much. The putting stroke is a pendulum activated by the shoulder turn.

10 hours ago, slytown said:

I disagree with the comments about set up. People are speculating when in reality any set up that uses the arms to pull the club on line will produce your out to in path with open face. Some better players even stand close and put the toe down in order to hit shorter putts with less face rotation.

I would focus on your stroke based on what we can see. Unlike the full swing, there are lots of weird putting set ups. The new video looks better. In my experience, your issue simply comes from using the arms too much. The putting stroke is a pendulum activated by the shoulder turn.

I disagree with your disagreement.  A player can stand as close as they want - as long as their hands are in proper relation to their shoulder line (standing more erect).  In the original video he was forced to rotate the club by the position of his hands (too close).  And that only happens when you try to use your shoulder to move the putter and your hands are inside the shoulder line.  Your body runs out of room and the club has no choice but to rotate as we saw.

He clearly is in a better position in the later video and the putter arc is what it should be.

Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

I disagree with your disagreement.  A player can stand as close as they want - as long as their hands are in proper relation to their shoulder line (standing more erect).  In the original video he was forced to rotate the club by the position of his hands (too close).  And that only happens when you try to use your shoulder to move the putter and your hands are inside the shoulder line.  Your body runs out of room and the club has no choice but to rotate as we saw.

He clearly is in a better position in the later video and the putter arc is what it should be.

But how can you see body position if the video only shows the club?

52 minutes ago, slytown said:

I can confirm they were correct. I was was standing too close/had my hands inside of my shoulder line.

• Like 2

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

6 hours ago, slytown said:

Primary reason is that I was in that position many years ago and had to fix that exact problem.  I knew exactly what it looked like.

• Like 1

Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
MCC Align Midsize