2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Has anyone experimented with a second higher loft driver in place of 3 wood?

gentles

I got inspired watching the recent WITB with Marty Jertson from ping where he outlined his two driver strategy with one at 46" and a second G430 max 12* head playing at 42.5"

With all the buzz about mini drivers, has anyone else out there tried doing something similar but with a full size driver? I'd be looking at this almost solely for a "second serve" type of club off the tee as there are a few holes with hazards right where my driver lands. 

Playing at less than 43" would likely required at least 12* of loft to maintain launch, maybe even more. 

Swingweight is obviously an issue, so any driver with the possibility for multiple weights (i.e. G410 with 2 back weights) or multiple screws (PXG) seem to be the best candidates for this. 

I'm probably going to go ahead and find a head and give this a try, but just thought i'd float this out there to see if anyone has done something similar. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

No, its a weird thing to do. Theres a reason its not a popular setup...outside of like 7 people in all of North America. I kind of ask 'why' in these kinds of scenarios (that I do all the time in various ways in my bag) where you are going down a rabbit hole of building an obscure piece of equipment. Why such specialization? You need to hit a fairway (example)? Why cant you do it with TWO (or three if you have a 5 wood) clubs you're already using in the bag?

There are a few courses - and maybe this is why - where accuracy AND length are needed and if you're not a top 20 OWGR player on tour maybe a very unique setup will work....but thats such a niche experience.

If you build a 'second driver' that is only 10yds less than your 'main driver' and hits every fairway - why not just make it your main driver? Why have two and keep an inaccurate and wild driver that goes 10-15yds further in the bag at all?

I've tried long drivers, short drivers, mini drivers, 3+ woods, etc. They all have their place - but they RE-place something - they dont supplement anything in tandem.

I hope you find what you're looking for but as a ho/builder I know this idea all too well 😂

I'd be looking for at least 30 yards of difference from my main driver - im thinking 12-14* head, playing at under 43 inches. 

I hit a 3 wood off the ground maybe once every half dozen rounds, and I used it off the tee only on the 2-3 holes where I there is trouble at ~290 which is where a good driver puts me.

So my logic is that i can build a club that goes 260, with all the forgiveness of a 460cc head rather than my 3w which has a tiny hitting area compared to a driver. With 20g extra weight back in the head the MOI would be way up as well. 

But I take all of your points with a grain of salt, I just love tinkering!

• Like 3

You need to determine how often you would hit each driver.

11 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

If you build a 'second driver' that is only 10yds less than your 'main driver' and hits every fairway - why not just make it your main driver? Why have two and keep an inaccurate and wild driver that goes 10-15yds further in the bag at all?

A 46" driver is stock length for many drivers, in part for marketing hype. But, you'll be hard-pressed to find any tour pros with a 46" driver; they go shorter for control. Rather than two drivers, why not trim an inch off your main driver and learn how to hit it.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Posted (edited)

Wow. Kind of a timely topic for me. Currently walking and carrying a half set of clubs to save weight.

I’ve been experimenting with 2 drivers. 12* TSr1 with a 40gr Mmt shaft, and a 10* TSr2 with a 50gr hazrdus red cb. 

I’ve tried swapping shafts and the tsr2 at higher lofts I’m thinking (for me) 2 drivers might not be a horrible option. My course has a balanced mix of uphill/downhill upwind/downwind holes. 

The tsr1 12* is brilliant downwind and downhill. It also hits more fairways in all conditions. The tsr2 is longer uphill, into the wind and overall on average but doesn’t hit as may fairways for me. 

I get a natural fade with the tsr2. The tsr1 is easy to draw but just wants to go straight. The other difference is the tsr1 is just much easier to swing. When I get tired that matters. 

Since I’m only carrying 8 clubs, I’m tempted to take the extra driver. Good tee shots have always promoted better play for me. 

the struggle is real…

edit. Both drivers are the same length. 

Edited by Nickb333
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm currently at 3.1 handicap ... Hit my 9.5° driver 240-250 ... Hit my choke down 10.5° driver 220-230. 

My low loft driver has a nice, high fade. My high loft has a low, running draw.

Also carry a 5w that goes about 220, but not consistent off the tee. At my home course, I hit the low loft driver about 8-9 times a round, my high loft 3-4, on tight holes.

Edited by tatertot
  • Like 1

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Gauge G2 Big Dog, 35"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

@gentles I watched the same WITB.  I’m somewhat interested in this idea.  I have a 3w I like but at my course I don’t need it from the FW very often.  There are 3-5 holes I could using a higher lofted, shorter length driver off the tee.  

Tour players can hit anything but it rarely seems they have a 3W into a green.  Usually it’s 5w or lower.  I go driver-3w-hybrid but I could see going driver A&B then a 5w around 17 degrees.  

I say go for it but it ain’t my dollar 🙂

So, I think the old “adage” of do what works for you, is the call here. 

I would agree that a higher loft driver is a one-trick pony, BUT if it’s a trick you need… Then figure it out.  

The catch is, it’s a little tricky to get the swing weight figured out (see Animal Style Epic drivers). 

Personally, a good fairway is really tough to find (thus, harder to replace).  

1 hour ago, Ivyguy said:

So, I think the old “adage” of do what works for you, is the call here. 

I would agree that a higher loft driver is a one-trick pony, BUT if it’s a trick you need… Then figure it out.  

The catch is, it’s a little tricky to get the swing weight figured out (see Animal Style Epic drivers). 

Personally, a good fairway is really tough to find (thus, harder to replace).  

this is my concern - I play driver at d4 so I think I’m either limited to a driver where I can add a whole extra weight, or just pouring a ton of hot melt into the head 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

No, its a weird thing to do. Theres a reason its not a popular setup...outside of like 7 people in all of North America. I kind of ask 'why' in these kinds of scenarios (that I do all the time in various ways in my bag) where you are going down a rabbit hole of building an obscure piece of equipment. Why such specialization? You need to hit a fairway (example)? Why cant you do it with TWO (or three if you have a 5 wood) clubs you're already using in the bag?

There are a few courses - and maybe this is why - where accuracy AND length are needed and if you're not a top 20 OWGR player on tour maybe a very unique setup will work....but thats such a niche experience.

I've tried long drivers, short drivers, mini drivers, 3+ woods, etc. They all have their place - but they RE-place something - they dont supplement anything in tandem.

I hope you find what you're looking for but as a ho/builder I know this idea all too well 😂

So excellent chance here..7 out of 350,000 000. Looking ford to excellent launch and spin and distance number being posted soon, from In the Fairway Please!

Love your input🤗

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I am going to work on doing this when my course has a demo day with Ping, I know the fitter and we talked about messing around and seeing if we can find a set up that would work. It may be a little bit of a one trick club but if your course is one that needs that club then go for it. Marty is a extremely smart guy and an incredible player, so if he finds it beneficial I think it is something that could be beneficial for others. He responded when I asked him on social media about his set up and called it his anti anxiety club. 

Marty's set up from his response: 

430 Max - 12 degrees 

42.75" length - Tour 2.0 Black, 75x

D4 SW

CG shifter in the fade setting 

Flat setting on the adjustability 

Ping G430 LST - Hzrdus Blue 60tx

Ping G430 Max, 15 degrees - Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75x

Titleist 917f2, 21 degrees - Aldila Tour Green, 85x

Cobra King Tour '23 - KBS $Taper 

Vokey SM9: 50,54,58 - S400

Lab Golf DF2.1 Broomstick - 44.5"

I have about 5 rounds of play testing a 12* rogue max d driver on at a 42.5" playing length and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Yes when you look down at it the head is huge idk how people seeing threads like this think its gona be any different. Off the tee its a driver in the fairway its a fairway wood. It does everything it needs to and i even would hit it off the deck on long par 5s with great success. Its worth a try! Get something from callaway preowned or 2nd swing and then find a short shaft and dont spend a ton of money and give it a go!

• Like 1

- Hittin it from the wrong side for lyfe -

TM 9* QI10LS Ventus Blue / Callaway 9* Paradym TD Kai'li White

Callaway 10.5* turned up Rogue ST TD LS TourAD DI 3 wood shaft

TM 16.5* Stealth HL Kai'li White 5 wood length

TM P790 5&6 MMT 125

TM P770 7-PW MMT 125

48* Vokey SM10 MMT 125

52*-56*-59* Cleveland RTX6 MMT 125

Odyssey Versa 12 DB

Chrome Tour / Bridgestone BX

I have an older Callaway Steelhead 11° driver (bore thru) with an Aldila Blue By You 80g S in it tipped 1". It's definitely my longest "FW", when I need it. I typically don't though. Years ago when I played the Cobra Deep Face 9° driver I also had a Senior Deep Face at 12° (1/2" shorter) that i used as my first FW. It was long and great into the wind as well as easy to hit off the deck. I still have that pair.

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I have both the Original One & 300 Mini that I sometimes carry instead of my 3W, depending on the course. I also have a 983K 11.5* that I might practice with & compare to either one.

• Like 1

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

I am in tinker mode still with my two driver setup.  Mizuno Max 12 degrees with a fairway shaft installed from my STZ 3 wood.  I tried choking down on the 45 inch length and it became inconsistent. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 15.0 MCA Kaili Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

On 5/24/2024 at 3:24 AM, gentles said:

this is my concern - I play driver at d4 so I think I’m either limited to a driver where I can add a whole extra weight, or just pouring a ton of hot melt into the head 

I tried to save my G15 9* (I swear it was higher lofted but).  

I cut 2 inches from the butt.  

totally destroyed the club.  

really sad actually as that was a club that really pissed off my friends.  

I have YET to find a driver I was as long/accurate with.  

Played a course today where 2 holes needed less than driver. On one hole I used my 11.5* 983 K and the other hole I hit my 11.5* 300 Mini. The 983K is 1” longer length than the Mini. I actually hit the 983K better and it felt nostalgic. Both were shorter but straighter than my 9.5* regular driver.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

If by experiment, you mean play with that setup almost exclusively, then yes, yes I have.  

I’m…..
image.png.7db6529e12a3117e7eb54f8be41abfa3.png

Feel free to ask questions, I’ve been on and off this ride since 2015 and have a little bit to say about it 😂.

• Thanks 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Yes experiment away!  There are nuggets just waiting to be found....

Ian and Matty did an experiment few years ago with a short driver..... Matty hit it more accurate with lots of distance and said nothing but good stuff and that he could play it.... but of course he didn't.... the hope of hitting further is too much for most to handle.... then you watch the pros and how many times the guy woulda gave anything to be in the fairway lol

• Like 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts

13 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

Yes experiment away!  There are nuggets just waiting to be found....

Ian and Matty did an experiment few years ago with a short driver..... Matty hit it more accurate with lots of distance and said nothing but good stuff and that he could play it.... but of course he didn't.... the hope of hitting further is too much for most to handle.... then you watch the pros and how many times the guy woulda gave anything to be in the fairway lol

LOL. I did this yesterday! I was playing with a couple long long time buddies and put 2 drivers in the bag for the first time. My ego simply wouldn't allow me to use the higher lofted club and potentially give up distance. As I reviewed the round when we were done, there at least 3 or 4 holes the second driver would have been a much better choice. Oh well, tomorrow!

• Haha 1

I've just put in a Mini Bertha 1.5 in the bag at this slot - it's a 12 degree head that I've set at 14 deg. Been struggling at this slot in the bag, going from a turned up 3 to a turned down 5, Apex UW at 17, a low lofted hybrid, and yes, last years TM Mini (11 head turned up).

So far, I like what it does - about 20m shorter than my driver, and misses are not off the planet. Also, just visually, it looks like I like can hit it off the fairway which I didn't get with the mini-driver.

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver Kai'li Blue S

Callaway Mini Bertha 1.5 Kuro Kage S

TaylorMade Gapr Mid 3 KBS S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide

Just a quick nugget: One of the reasons that we tend to keep "Old Faithful" fairway woods so long is that they are hard to find/fit.  We are asking a very long club with very little loft to be good/very good off the tee, off the turf, go (and spin) high enough to be functional into a green, go (and spin) low enough to be functional off the tee/in the wind, go "straighter" than our driver, and quite often be able to (reliably, lol) shape opposite of our normal shape.  Our main short game wedge is probably the only other club we ask to do so many jobs so well, and that club, like the fairway wood, is also one that we tend to find what we like and stick pretty close to that for a long, long time.  

I think the idea that golfers are finally opening up to is that this is a difficult ask, and as such, until you find that unicorn fairway wood, you are probably better off (honestly) determining which of those above attributes are most impactful to your score and building a club that does those jobs really well and let the other ones just "be" for a while.  

For me, a long hitter relative to the tees I normally play, that means giving up virtually all turf functionality for my 2nd longest club in exchange for an additional tee club only that is more forgiving, longer, and easier to shape the opposite way than my "3 wood" was.  I have gained a superior option off the tee for at least a few shots (4 has been the absolute minimum so far) per round, while only giving up an average of less than 1 turf opportunity (when I need more than the 250 that my 3rd longest club gives me) per round.  Pretty easy math there, and that's why there *might* be some juice for you to squeeze with a change like this.  

• Like 4

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

31 minutes ago, Dan Drake said:

Just a quick nugget: One of the reasons that we tend to keep "Old Faithful" fairway woods so long is that they are hard to find/fit.  We are asking a very long club with very little loft to be good/very good off the tee, off the turf, go (and spin) high enough to be functional into a green, go (and spin) low enough to be functional off the tee/in the wind, go "straighter" than our driver, and quite often be able to (reliably, lol) shape opposite of our normal shape.  Our main short game wedge is probably the only other club we ask to do so many jobs so well, and that club, like the fairway wood, is also one that we tend to find what we like and stick pretty close to that for a long, long time.  

I think the idea that golfers are finally opening up to is that this is a difficult ask, and as such, until you find that unicorn fairway wood, you are probably better off (honestly) determining which of those above attributes are most impactful to your score and building a club that does those jobs really well and let the other ones just "be" for a while.  

For me, a long hitter relative to the tees I normally play, that means giving up virtually all turf functionality for my 2nd longest club in exchange for an additional tee club only that is more forgiving, longer, and easier to shape the opposite way than my "3 wood" was.  I have gained a superior option off the tee for at least a few shots (4 has been the absolute minimum so far) per round, while only giving up an average of less than 1 turf opportunity (when I need more than the 250 that my 3rd longest club gives me) per round.  Pretty easy math there, and that's why there *might* be some juice for you to squeeze with a change like this.  

Good stuff ... it's also important to determine what your "fairway" club is, and how you hit it.

For me, I have an 18 degree 5 wood that has a 3 wood length shaft in it. I feel good choking up on it or hitting it hard, so it gives me more freedom at the top of the bag.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Gauge G2 Big Dog, 35"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

8 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

This is exactly my line of thinking. I tend to not be a very good fairway player, so on the off chance the ball is sitting perfectly i think hitting a 12* driver off the deck wouldn't be too much worse, with the benefit of being a much more useful safety club off the tee than a full length driver

• Like 1

I struggled with this spot for awhile as I was never really a fairway wood guy. I recently got fitted for a Callaway Smoke AI Max 3 wood that is incredibly easy to hit off the tee and off the deck (even though I have hit it only 2-3 times off the deck since I got it). I just recently picked up the new Taylormade Mini Driver in 13.5 loft with an inch shorter shaft than stock and its been a reallllly fun club to hit. Easy off a tee, really easy off the deck (hits a low "climber" shot that is amazing for windy days and tight holes). 

I have 2 clubs now that I swap between depending on the day and course, but the idea of having a second higher lofted drover is interesting. I remember watching that WITB on Ping's channel with the guy who used the 12 degree, 42.5 inch driver and it was interesting. He talks about how he had issues with smaller heads, and loves having a larger head "fairway" wood to hit off the deck. I might try something like that with another driver head if I can find one that I like the look of, but then again I am very happy with the mini driver and Max 3 wood options currently.

The Ping guy (Marty Jertson) said he can only hit his regular driver on 4 holes on his course.  And that long hitters rarely need a 3 wood off the turf because the par fives are not that long for them.  Therefore that spot in the bag is better filled with a second driver that’s shorter and more accurate.

• Like 2

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Posted (edited)

Finding a 5-wood that really works for me has totally messed up my bag setup, haha. I hit my 5-wood so well that I basically don't hit 3/4 wood anymore, and I am even pulling 5-wood off the tee on a lot of holes. It's going 220-230 dead straight, and that's a lot better than 260 in the trees.

My thinking for the last few weeks has been to put a mini driver or deep-faced 3-wood in between my driver and 5-wood, as a more reliable tee option. The goal would be to get closer to the consistency of my 5-wood, but squeeze out another 20-30 yards of distance. After demoing tons of different 3-wood and mini driver options over the past couple weeks, I'm not convinced that I have the swing to make any of these clubs really work for me. None of them are forgiving enough, and I end up just as inconsistent as driver.

Now I'm thinking a fun experiment will be cutting down my old Cleveland Classic to 43" or 43.5", lofting it up to 11.5 or 12 degrees, and adding lead to the head. Should still be way more forgiving than any 3-wood, and theoretically should be easier to hit on the screws. I hit my 5-wood well enough that I don't really need anything else from the deck right now, it will only get me into trouble. Gonna try it out.

Edited by mikes919