2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

I think my time with LAB has come to an end

JermWRX

I guess I was hoping for some magic, but it's just not there (Yes, I know it's not the putters fault). I bought a 38" 71 lie counterbalance Mezz Max and a 35" 69 standard build Mezz Max. Both with Accra shafts. I've used them both for around 10 rounds or so each. I'm having a terribly difficult time with aim, and distance control. Now, I'm definitely not the worlds greatest putter by any stretch of the imagination, hence the experiments. But, I'm definitely putting worse than I was before. Three putts are a regular thing, and four putts happen a couple times a round. Frustrating to say the least. Thinking of picking up a See More to see if it can help with some aim/start line issues. At this point I'm kind of just grasping at straws. Keep an eye on the classifieds. Might be a couple of putters popping up on there soon 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

I guess I was hoping for some magic, but it's just not there (Yes, I know it's not the putters fault). I bought a 38" 71 lie counterbalance Mezz Max and a 35" 69 standard build Mezz Max. Both with Accra shafts. I've used them both for around 10 rounds or so each. I'm having a terribly difficult time with aim, and distance control. Now, I'm definitely not the worlds greatest putter by any stretch of the imagination, hence the experiments. But, I'm definitely putting worse than I was before. Three putts are a regular thing, and four putts happen a couple times a round. Frustrating to say the least. Thinking of picking up a See More to see if it can help with some aim/start line issues. At this point I'm kind of just grasping at straws. Keep an eye on the classifieds. Might be a couple of putters popping up on there soon 😂😂

I tried LAB about 3 - 4 years ago.  While I appreciate outside-the-box thinking and respect the hell out of it, the putter wasn't for me.  Putting can be simple yet complex and regardless of the toe flow you still need to be able to aim and control speed.  

Good luck in your journey!

Edited by J13
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

1 hour ago, JermWRX said:

Yeah, but the revealer is never wrong.  Okay, I'm joking ha ha.

I'm of the belief that it is a good technology but not for everyone.  DF3 is still in my bag for now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, J13 said:

I tried LAB about 3 - 4 years ago.  While I appreciate outside-the-box thinking and respect the hell out of it, the putter wasn't for me.  Putting can be simple yet complex and regardless of the toe flow you still need to be able to aim and control speed.  

Good luck in your journey!

I feel like the journey never ends!!🤦🏻‍♂️😂 image.gif.8b50bd531b52681b442a9387b9425553.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JermWRX said:

Had a seemore for like 10 years now they definitely help with consistent set up and alignment

• Thanks 1

I almost gave up on my DF2.1 after 6 months with it. Then learned some better speed drills and green reading and of lately I am over the moon with it. Like others said its not for everyone. Good luck on your putter journey

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 , choked down to ~44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, toddyc said:

Had a seemore for like 10 years now they definitely help with consistent set up and alignment

This is what I need to hear after todays round. Front was 39 with 22 putts, back was 43 with 24 putts. 

Edited by JermWRX
Typo

16 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

This is what I need to hear after todays round. Front was 39 with 22 putts, back was 43 with 24 putts. 

if it helps, my last 18 with my LAB I had 29 putts. 

• Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 , choked down to ~44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

My brother just bought one and loves his.  Says it's point and shoot.  I'm going to try his when he comes down first week of July.  I'm open to try although putting is the best part of my game by far and I've had my Newport 2 for almost 10 years. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

My brother just bought one and loves his.  Says it's point and shoot.  I'm going to try his when he comes down first week of July.  I'm open to try although putting is the best part of my game by far and I've had my Newport 2 for almost 10 years. 

They're great, Phizzy, but they're weird.  They take a lot of getting used to. 

(Provided you're even fitted to it.  I am very upright, putting and I didn't see the point in PGASS with a stock DF2. Then saw I was 4° upright on iPing, did the LAB video fitting which aligned, said screw-it, why not, let's order it, and it just works.)

Where to begin:

(1) the grip is different, thumbs are supposed to be off the shaft and the possessed thing will wiggle in your grip like it's alive, during your stroke.

(1a) they ship with various pre-forward pressing grips.  This is also weird if you're not used to it.

(2) the ball address is different.  Sam (the owner) has videos at LAB pointing out that it should be off your left instep.

(3) speed calibration is different and at times, non-linear.  I love it on 11-12 greens but it's not 30% further back goes 30% further.  Depending on the distance, 30% further might be 10% more back, or 50.

Once you learn the distance for a given green, it's insanely repeatable.  50' on a putting green, you can easily leave them within 3', once you figure out how far that is with your stroke.

(4) it's butt ugly.  No kidding.  Looks like a branding iron.  Or a metal detector when its head cover's on.

All that is to say that I'm not sure what you'll get out of it, since you already putt well.  

Edited by Jayjay_theweim_guy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Di

4 hours ago, JermWRX said:

Did you get fit, or did you just guess?

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Gauge G2 Big Dog, 35"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I believe in LAB. Their science is fantastic. That stated, Seemore’s Rifle Scope can fix allot of issues.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

3 hours ago, JermWRX said:

Matthew Broderick GIF

• Haha 4

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

P-UDI 2-3 Recoil Dart 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
Newport 2 Pro Platinum 

1 hour ago, mstuewe said:

I struggled to align the mezz max.  Switched to a df3 and I love it.  You might not need to give up on lab, you might just need a different model that lines up better for your eye.

Funny, just the opposite for me. I tried several different lie/length options with the DF3 and never could get my alignment down or my distance putting.

Tried a MEZZ MAXX on a fluke and BAM!!!! Just works for me all the way around, love this putter. So much so I have 2 of them now. Both with Accra shafts, one blue head and one red. 

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

32 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

They're great, Phizzy, but they're weird.  They take a lot of getting used to. 

(Provided you're even fitted to it.  I am very upright, putting and I didn't see the point in PGASS with a stock DF2. Then saw I was 4° upright on iPing, did the LAB video fitting which aligned, said screw-it, why not, let's order it, and it just works.)

Where to begin:

(1) the grip is different, thumbs are supposed to be off the shaft and the possessed thing will wiggle in your grip like it's alive, during your stroke.

(1a) they ship with various pre-forward pressing grips.  This is also weird if you're not used to it.

(2) the ball address is different.  Sam (the owner) has videos at LAB pointing out that it should be off your left instep.

(3) speed calibration is different and at times, non-linear.  I love it on 11-12 greens but it's not 30% further back goes 30% further.  Depending on the distance, 30% further might be 10% more back, or 50.

Once you learn the distance for a given green, it's insanely repeatable.  50' on a putting green, you can easily leave them within 3', once you figure out how far that is with your stroke.

(4) it's butt ugly.  No kidding.  Looks like a branding iron.  Or a metal detector when its head cover's on.

All that is to say that I'm not sure what you'll get out of it, since you already putt well.  

The putter is not supposed to wiggle inside your grip. The thumbs off is a drill mean to get used to the lack of torque and not to manipulate the face, thats not the standard way to grip it 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I think aiming in general is something you might find important to work on first. Switching putter isn’t gonna solve all issues as I have discovered in the last couple of years struggling with it.

I believe that the first thing we people that are struggling with putting need to do is to make sure that the point where we are aiming with our putter is actually correct. This should be a skill that is separate with the shape, alignment, offset, etc of the putter head. I say this is because I have tried way too many putters in the last two years and I found out that to putt well, I have to have a method of aiming that is universally applicable to all types of putter.

Once this is sort out, then we can move on and switch putters to find which one can start on line most consistently.

(This is just my school of thoughts though, many may say otherwise but I find this extremely helpful to my putting.)

Edited by KodakkuSensei
  • Thanks 2

Cobra SZ 9*  Fujikura ventus black 6X

Mizuno ST190 3w Aldila 6S

Titleist 718 cb 3i Project X LZ 6.0

Mizuno Mizuno Pro 118 5i-PW NIPPON Modus 3 120 TX

Titleist Vokey SM5 50* DG S200

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 54/58 DG 115

Callaway PM Grind 64* KBS Hi-Rev 115

Sik Pro C 35.5"

Bridgestone Tour B X

8 hours ago, JermWRX said:

I never liked aiming the mezz on demos but the DF3 is much more comfortable for me to aim due to the shape. Ghost ball combined with the line aids is quite nice. 

mezz is so awkward for me. 

Regardless of the tech, putting is personal. While right eye dominant, the Mezz does not resonate with me when I have tried it. Sure I can putt with it, but its meh. In my 1hr or so of just practice putting with a DF3 vs. my 2Ball10, that felt far more at home and worthy of a try.

LABs are no different than <insert brand> putters when we are searching for The One.

Happy hunting OP 🙂

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, golferdude54 said:

What's your dominant eye? I believe Mezz/Link is better for back eye dominance while DF is better for front eye dominance due to the face progression difference. The face is a lot more forward with DF which lines the ball up with your front eye.

I'm right handed and right eye dominant

10 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

You sound like a few guys I play with. They've all had their putters for ages and putt incredibly well. One has had his for 25 years. They all joke that they're going to try a LAB, but I tell them changing putters is for the bums like me who can't putt, not guys like them. If I was like them, my putter would would have a display case that it slept in😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Well that could be good--- Throw your mis behaving one over there and find you one in the "pile" you like to try the next round. Call it the putter exchange and play it forward so to speak. Leave a putter take a putter

This is the best option yet. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Unteachable said:

if I ever had a round with 46 putts I would immediately throw the putter in the lake while walking off the 18th green.  

Time for something new

I know the numbers sound ridiculous. It's a short, quirky course where all 5s are easily reached in 2, and a handful of the par 4s can be reached by cutting off corners using mid irons. I had a bunch of eagle looks, and walked away with par, except on two of them. On those I 4 putted for bogeys. Sadly, no lakes😔

• Sad 1