2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Scottie's Arrest (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

GwrxMod

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Bank accounts ? Who paid Gillis to turn off his bodycam and arrest Scottie with the original intent of keeping him from his 2nd round tee time ? 

Someone had to start the conspiracy theory engine ...

I think that engine is always idling in my brain, just waiting for some fuel, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SBH9458 said:

Time for the charges to be dropped. Accept and admit there were problems on scene. And move on with an apology. Time to move on. 

It would be great if the records of Gillis and the chief could be spread far and wide. Right now the pressure seems to be 180 degrees out of phase. 

Edited by IndyArcher
Spelling correction
  • Like 3

i know it’s bad form, but i said the same day as the event that ‘circle the wagons’ would likely be the response. i still expect he’ll be arraigned on all charges. the prosecution considers their case to be stronger without any bodycam or other evidence. when it comes to he said/he said, a bench trial invariably rules in favor of the prosecution. a jury trial, less so, but still weighs more to the prosecution.

i’ve yet to hear how he was released so quickly without bond with a felony charge. maybe i missed that? police don’t make that determination, a duty judge does.

scheffler’s notoriety helped in that. anyone else would have been held until brought before a judge later in the day. and his notoriety hurts him when prosecutors want to make an example of him to get some limelight.

not all the people in the partial video are police officers, there were hired security/traffic guys is similar looking reflective vests.

my guess of the outcome is the same as anyone’s at this point. one thing is for sure, if scottie wasn’t scottie, he’d be in a world of hurt when charges are piled on with no bodycam, or even with bodycam video.

we’ll see.

• Like 3

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

1 hour ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Bank accounts ? Who paid Gillis to turn off his bodycam and arrest Scottie with the original intent of keeping him from his 2nd round tee time ? 

Someone had to start the conspiracy theory engine ...

Start it? I’ve been saying it for several days. It’s clearly Bryson! 

*all the pertinent evidence is over in the now defunct PGA Championship turned SS got arrested thread 😊

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Because everyone on internet is an expert, I especially enjoy reading from people who have experience in the topic of law enforcement.  Thanks to you.

Unfortunately for Louisville KY, their police department has had many problems in past few years. Youtube on current police chief's 2023 false testimony about her body cam is one of many reports.  Seems that LMPD is the poster child for body cam tricks.  DOJ investigation with March 2023 report on LMPD  is also big news that I have never read until Scheffler's incident.

I live in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico, so law enforcement here is a completely different fish taco.  I have personal experience both good and bad here.  

I see that it is time for a XX Ambar.  Cheers y'all!

pubbeerfrig.png

Edited by bajadock

Just now, bajadock said:

Because everyone on internet is an expert, I especially enjoy reading from people who have experience in the topic of law enforcement.  Thanks to you.

Unfortunately for Louisville KY, their police department has had many problems in past few years. Youtube on current police chief's 2023 false testimony about her body cam is one of many reports.  DOJ investigation with March 2023 report is also big news that I have never read until Scheffler's incident.

I live in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico, so law enforcement here is a completely different fish taco.  I have personal experience both good and bad here.  

I see that it is time for a XX Ambar.  Cheers y'all!

pubbeerfrig.png

All that a man needs - salsa, hot sauce and cerveza :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

To recap - 

It was dark, raining and a fatal accident happened just up the street a half to an hour earlier. Traffic was totally stopped in the direction Scotty was traveling. Scotty gets impatient and slowly goes around a bus and turns left into Valhalla. Officer Gillis chases vehicle and hits on or around the driver door with his flashlight. No evidence in LMPD video that Gillis fell at any time. Other folks can be seen in video near Scotty's vehicle. Scotty arrested. 

My guess is all charges will be dropped but in the event they're not, the additional witnesses present will be important (including Darlington). The damage is already done though with Scotty's mugshot all over the internet and possibly his mindset affected at the PGA. I suspect if the charges are dropped, Scotty will have to agree to not pursue damages against the LMPD. 

Edited by Ghost of Snead

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Just going to toss in my 2 cents. I thought Scottie did a great job with his interviews that day, not blaming others or weaseling around. Then his Lawyer gets on camera and acts a bit arrogant, clearly the charges need to be dismissed or we go to trial, almost  like he was daring them.  Aren't one of the charges a lower class felony, I would just want that off my record, pay some traffic violations at max price and lets drop the felony [if I heard that right]. 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, jarhead said:

Apparently Officer Gillis has had a few brushes with authority himself. And the fact that he owns and runs a business that reconstructs accidents scenes makes me wonder why he (of all people) would not have the camera rolling.

Louisville police officer who arrested Scottie Scheffler had been previously suspended - Yahoo Sports

Looks like he’s a star at the organized traffic shakedowns! 

Scottie going to wish they’d let those not showing up for court incidents go, lol. 

Seems to have a little overzealous in his background.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RSinSG said:

As in any case, as more facts are known it becomes easier to come up with an informed opinion rather than a knee-jerk one based upon our own experiences. I think that is a good practice in all things – especially those incidents involving law enforcement.

Adding some background before answering some of the question posed to me by other members, I started my 30+ year LEO career in 1979 and other than undercover work or motors I pretty did much everything that was available – patrol, K-9, detectives, SWAT, etc. and then promotion through the ranks. I’ve seen and experienced a lot and like @KC4441  I too have been to several funerals including a good friend of 25+ years who was shot through a door on a routine DV call. While officer deaths are thankfully rare, I’ve also had good buddies forced into retirement because of injuries that altered their quality of life forever.  I realize this happens in all professions, but unlike a mechanic where there is a remote possibility of a fatal injury, my wife put our family to bed every night not knowing if I was coming home, and therein lies a big difference.

But, that being said I have never turned a blind eye to misconduct. Even as a fairly new patrol officer I spoke up against things several times, and while it created distance between me and other officers I did what I thought was right. As a newly promoted sergeant the very first IA that I was assigned ended up in the termination of the officer. He was in the wrong profession and the department and public were better off without him.

As I was promoted higher I was involved in terminating several employees for different things, and while it may be true in some (or even many) departments, ours did not tolerate aberrant  behavior and we quickly dealt with it. I tried to point out some things about the Louisville police management in an earlier post, but that post was deleted so all I’ll say here is some people have no business being a chief of police let alone an officer. Google is your friend on this matter.

I also mentioned in an earlier post that I taught classes on de-escalation of force, civil liability and ways to interact with the public. After reading about more facts as they slowly come out, I think that Det. Gillis would have benefited from paying attention to that type of training. He overreacted and let his ego drive his actions – a terrible recipe for problems. If there were on-scene supervision they failed in their responsibility to clean up mistakes officers make (we all do make mistakes, right?) The posturing by the department and prosecution team is disappointing but not unexpected. It’s damage control – “circle the wagons” at this point. 

I’m hopeful those with the ultimate decision in this matter will not compound the error by doubling down when they should fold. Dropping all charges seems appropriate at this point (unless there is some video evidence that hasn’t been released) and don’t be afraid to admit the detective made a mistake. He’s already getting dinged for not turning on his body cam, but IMO he needs further training on dealing with the public  in stressful situations. 

Contrary to some of you guy’s personal experiences, it’s my experience that the overwhelming majority of officers are doing the right thing for the right reasons.  But, my career ended 15 years ago and I’m not sure I’d be up for the challenge in today’s environment. We had the support of our elected officials and we didn’t have agenda driven prosecuting attorneys dredging up years old cases to make a point. It’s no wonder recruitment is difficult, and when that happens hiring standards are lowered and unfit candidates slip through the background process. 

I have three sons who at one time wanted to be a LEO like their pops. I’m very thankful they all chose different professions which is kind of a sad commentary on the status of law enforcement today. 

Wow..too bad you werent running things..ps notbsure if anyone commented on how poorly the cops were running the entrance to such a big event..maybe this is all to keep the focus off how someone was killed because things were run so poorly.  Ps2 why was there a bus in the way with no driver? Is that the bus that ran over the volunteer...if not should the cops not thought about getting the driver to get back in and move a bus thats blocking thousands of people ...not too a hard to wave pga labelled cars in...ps 3...the cops give out a top award to this cop because he gave out a crazy number of tickets in a day with no suspicion that most of those tickets were not warranted..obviously he thought schefflers arrest would be a trophy for him..useless youngish appointed police chief doesnt help matters...

I suspect that the city of Louisville wants to make this quietly go away. Valhalla already got relatively poor reviews as a major venue, and if they want any kind of sports events to consider them as a future location (think NCAA basketball regional, for example), they need to figure this out in a hurry.

I think that I read that the new owner of Valhalla is a highly connected local business person who personally drove Scheffler from the jail to the course for his tee time. Somewhere behind the scenes, the business community, mayor, and those that actually make things happen are probably making life VERY uncomfortable for the police department.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

you don’t know this.

scheffler said he was directed to go around by others.

No more than you do about the prospect of him being arraigned on all charges. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini